• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Starfield?

• It looked Great

Votes: 1,128 22.9%
  • It looked Good

Votes: 1,108 22.5%
  • It looked Ok

Votes: 1,488 30.2%
  • It looked Bad

Votes: 613 12.4%
  • No Man's Skyrim

Votes: 595 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Looks about what I expected, in line with the rest of Bethesda catalog in the last decade in being "meh". Willing to wait and see footage closer to the release date.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how much you can abuse landing anywhere if in middle of cities (though suspect not).

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Got some Fallout 4 x Mass Effect vibes from the gameplay. Cautiously optimistic, but its still Fallout 4/Skyrim in space. Which I don't mind as long as mod support is there. Also, city scale seems a bit better this time (at first glance), but still not large enough.

Edit: Also, yeah, RPG systems seem to be super underwhelming. Really want to see how quests are handled at least. No stats is disappointing.

Also, f building crap again. I really wish there was no requirements around building outpost crap.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I hope they fix up the framerate and game looked a bit janky but otherwise it looked amazing.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Needs ALOT of polish. Can't say it justified all the hype build up, but its looking like a great space RPG so I"m all for it.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
I just need to see more of the story telling elements and dialogue. Writing will make or break this kind of game for me.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like it was designed for me personally. Very much looking forward to this one.

Also Kid Stuff is an auto-take. Mumsy and Poppsy need to enjoy their retirement.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
That was a quite worrying showcase. Bad framerate, obnoxious face models, spongy enemies. It's a Bethesda game yadda yadda, but I expected a considerable jump over their old stuff.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
So, like Main Elder Scrolls and Fallout game in the last 18 years, the gameplay itself looked Ok.

BUT, like Main Elder Scrolls and Fallout game in the last 18 years, I'm very excited to play it and will likely destroy concept of the passage of time by the amount I will play it

AImalexia

Prophet of Truth
Aug 31, 2021
I expected a lot, and this surpassed it, it looks like the dream game for any space exploration enjoyer

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Given the size and amount of worlds in this game I'm pretty surprised that people think it looked bad.

It's absolutely massive, a strong showing I'd just like to see a good narrative tie it together.

VirtualCloud

Aug 3, 2018
cool concept but it really did just remind me of no man's sky with different visuals really will be interesting to compare the two, I'll play it day 1 due to gamepass but it looked pretty rough here and there. Hoping for the best though there's a ton of hype around the game for sure

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
in line with my expectations of a bethesda rpg.
thats good enough for me. still plenty of time for extra polish.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it looked great but at the same time that last statement of 1000 worlds has me super worried. They just need to get the core rpg part down cause it was sorely missing from F4.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
This has to have been running on the best hardware money can buy and it still ran like shit. Considering I have a Series S or a 1080ti PC to play this on, I'm hoping they optimise the crap out of it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Hoping there is more to character progression than what we saw there. A few skill trees with stuff like "10% more pistol damage" and "50% faster reloading" where the percentages increase with use seems rudimentary as hell.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
1000 planets means that 99.99% of the content, probably even more, in procedural, I don't know how much this is compatible with the RPG nature of the game.

KKHN

Mar 7, 2018
I like the aesthetic, the dogfights, the scope of game and a lot of details. However the gunplay fells too basic.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know "No Man's Skyrim" was put in as a joke but honestly that's what this appears to be. Which is not really a bad thing. From the trailer this really is just Bethesda RPG with next-gen graphics (that look OK for how massive this will be). I wouldn't be surprised if there's some form of VATS on the game either.

I'm probably more exited about the mods than the game itself.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
I thought it looked cool, but it's not 'Skyrim in space'. What glued me to Skyrim was the development of my characters powers and abilities. With gunplay being the main/only thing you iterate on, I just don't see this grabbing me

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
For those saying it looks last gen graphically, I couldn't disagree more. I thought for the most part it looked very good, although facial animations are pretty bad, and the fact that it's running at a very cinematic twenty-something FPS in their showcase doesn't inspire confidence.

I have to assume people that say it looks like a last-gen game are watching a super compressed, small version of it. The draw distance, geometry detail, textures, lighting, etc. are all bumped up quite a bit compared to most last-gen games. Some of the indoor environments look really natural.

Framerate is whatever at this point for a Bethesda game. People on PC will just brute force it into running well like usual.

ImboSlice

Nov 30, 2017
The scope of this, or at least the scope it promises, is massive and brutally intriguing, but -
goddamn do they need to POLISH. Too much stutter, extremely lackluster animations (the insectoid alien's legs didn't even really touch the ground). Gunplay looked awful, no impact whatsoever. Early 2023? Not without crunch I say. Looks too rough.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
The frame rate was abysmal for sure and the shooting looked stiff. Honestly, those are my only criticisms and I hope that's the reason why they delayed...

...the rest however, was fucking incredible! The sheer number of systems at play seem absolutely ridiculous!

I am so here for the base building and the ship creation - this will keep me occupied for years to come. Nevermind all of the other customization options on show.

The game was janky, because there is genuinely so much going on.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Flying looks very simplistic. Elite and Star Citizen this is not. From the way they showed it, I would guess it's more like Lego Star Wars. You can fly around in a limited area in space, and then button-click to land at a particular point on a planet or button-click to warp to another area/planet/whatever. Doesn't look like we'll actually have free reign to fly around the entire surface of the planets, or do things like assaulting enemy outposts from the air.

That said, it's just Skyrim/Fallout meets No Man's Sky otherwise. I've bought all the other games of theirs day one and I've always gotten more than my money's worth. I don't see why this one would be any different. Still excited. And the delay just gives me time to replay and finish their other games before this drops.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I can not possibly be the only one who read "1000 planets to explore" and instantly started hearing alarm bells go off.

Right?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The "looks like Fallout 4=bad" statements feel like fanboy dismissiveness.

Just from what we've seen so far, it really does look like they've taken a ton of feedback from Fallout 4 and have fixed faults found in that game.

-More control over your character's backstory
-No focus on a voiced protagonist
-Significantly improved base building (there's actually a separate top down camera for it now).
-Settlements that actually feel populated vs. 20-30 people living in a single "city".

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The BILLIONS of planets in No Man's Sky are mostly boring and empty worlds, pre-generated with random variables deciding the final look. Every planet in NMS has the exact same objects and bases on them. It ruins the exploration experience IMO. Plus, the only ground enemies in NMS are angry critters and the handful of sentinels that wander aimlessly around.

I much prefer a smaller set of 100 worlds that are hand-crafted and have unique surprises and biomes and features on each one that encourage you to explore and find stuff. I hope Starfield is more like that.

It's 1000 planets and no game has a single handcrafted planet sized world. Be it 1000 worlds or one billion they are both produced by an algorithm. It would be hard to imagine that Bethesda could produce even one unique point of interest per planet.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
So far it looks like an improvement in every aspect from everything BGS have done before. Can't wait to play it.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Game looked incredible but I'm concerned about the exploration. I love Bethesda's open world because there's always something around every corner and for a vast majority of it to be generated without anyone touching it up is really not what I want. I hope there's still enough hand crafted areas that'll give me the same feeling.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Not sure what people are disappointed by here? Aside from the gunplay and choppy frame rate, the game looks pretty incredible to me so far. So many things for people to sink their teeth into from the looks of it.

I'm already feeling that diplomat background.