• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clix

Banned
I'm not taking it that way. I just see this as another form of corporate virtue signalling that we've been seeing recently. No it may not make a dent in their profits but they're not gaining anything from doing it. Awareness training? Sure whatever, ideally you just don't hire racists, and if you see a co-worker doing racist things you stop them, not end 8000+ jobs. What? That's overkill.

Nah, no jobs end. We always got paid and even fed lunch. Is it just for PR? Yes. Starbucks as I mentioned closes stores often for training of all sorts, from customer service incentives to just product training. And almost every single time they make a big announcement about the training and closing of stores since they try to make it across all stores at the same time.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Is that what the whole board is doing?

The most vocal for sure.

When posters can't react to something shitty (one manager at starbucks is a bigot) without swinging the pendulum back the other way times a thousand (all stores should be closed and all employees fired immediately), it really destroys any potential for intelligent discussion. It's why I try to skim the thread titles but not read the comments because it's often a black hole of nonsense. Learned my lesson again with this thread lol

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The most vocal for sure.

When posters can't react to something shitty (one manager at starbucks is a bigot) without swinging the pendulum back the other way times a thousand (all stores should be closed and all employees fired immediately), it really destroys any potential for intelligent discussion. It's why I try to skim the thread titles but not read the comments because it's often a black hole of nonsense. Learned my lesson again with this thread lol

And who the hell is saying that?

The most vocal for sure.

Nobody said this.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
What I don't get is why that Starbucks employee figured it was worth all of that to get fired? Surely she had enough sense and was at least semi-aware of the current social climate to know that she was probably going to get canned for starting that production? Police were also total toons and should have just left it alone.

What I don't get is why that Starbucks employee figured it was worth all of that to get fired? Surely she had enough sense and was at least semi-aware of the current social climate to know that she was probably going to get canned for starting that production? Police were also total toons and should have just left it alone.
It's not like racists are known for their rational thinking skills.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The most vocal for sure.

THRILLHO: Doesn't read shit and paints a whole brush of the board with his already perceived narrative.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
1. Starbucks' CEO met with the two guys that got kicked out & arrested and apologized directly to them in-person.

2. He talked to them for ideas on how to fix this.

3. They're closing 8,000 stores the day after Memorial Day, when people are going back to work after 3-day weekend, losing Starbucks a day's worth of money, so they can raise awareness of racial bias for their own employees.

As much hatred as there is for what happened, there needs to be room for them to make amends otherwise nobody will ever learn anything.

This is a good thing. Correcting mistakes is a GOOD THING.
Goddamn right! We should applaud Starbucks management, not shit on them for this.

They fired the manager, they're forsaking millions of dollars in profit to do the right thing (racial sensitivity training). As a minority, I am fully satisfied with the actions they've taken. Money talks, bullshit walks. And they're spending the money so we good.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn right! We should applaud Starbucks management, not shit on them for this.

They fired the manager, they're forsaking millions of dollars in profit to do the right thing (racial sensitivity training). As a minority, I am fully satisfied with the actions they've taken. Money talks, bullshit walks. And they're spending the money so we good.
They didn't fire her.

Apr 11, 2018
At first read that they were closed for good, too bad.

The company and tens of thousands deserve to go under?

Good god, this toxic garbage is something I wouldn't even toss down the Gutter.

Edit: To add some crustructive value to thjs topic, what Starbucks is doing is extremely honorable when most companies would just releade some BS PR at most and move on, which means the people, us, would move on as well without a slight thought except for those already trying to battle racism.

Wojo

Oct 28, 2017
Buffalo
User Banned (1 Week): Sleuthing/Calls for doxxing
Do we know the identity of the racist manager yet? He/She cannot get away unscathed. The internet needs to make an example of said person.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Regardless, Starbucks does not need applause for doing the right thing. It should be expected out of basic decency. It's not like these issues materialize out of thin air.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need to applaud people just for doing the right thing. I agree it shouldn't be the case, but...Donald Trump was elected president. This is how low standards are now.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Unfortunately, sometimes you need to applaud people just for doing the right thing. I agree it shouldn't be the case, but...Donald Trump was elected president. This is how low standards are now.
I don't see how applauding helps any of that. What helps is demanding human decency. Starbucks isn't doing this for applause. They're doing it because they're afraid of the consequences If they don't.

Saying we need to focus more on corporations that are doing the bare minimum is some bull shit straight out of Matt Damon's mouth.

Nov 27, 2017
What I don't get is why that Starbucks employee figured it was worth all of that to get fired? Surely she had enough sense and was at least semi-aware of the current social climate to know that she was probably going to get canned for starting that production?

Nobody here seems to be open to the possibility that this had nothing to do with race. Maybe she didn't like that fact that one guy was wearing some dirty ass sweatpants and looking like he just woke up after sleeping on the floor.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I don't see how applauding helps any of that. What helps is demanding human decency. Starbucks isn't doing this for applause. They're doing it because they're afraid of the consequences If they don't.

Saying we need to focus more on corporations that are doing the bare minimum is some bull shit straight out of Matt Damon's mouth.
I really think that on a society like ours, you need stick and carrot. Just the stick probably doesn't work half as well.
Someone doing something right should get recognition. To be shown that this was a step into the right direction.

Deleted member 7207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Humans don't calculate every second of their lives the same way computers do, it's not difficult to imagine how someone in her position could be going through a bad day with a series of events, both personal and work-related, that could have led up to that moment, one I very much doubt she thought would reflect negatively on her or the company... unless we start trotting down Conspiracy Avenue. Straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak. That is, of course, assuming she's a decent person to begin with. If she's blatantly racist and proud of it then it's not difficult at all to see why she acted the way she did, but we know next to nothing about her, so it's best not to read too much into it because it's all conjecture.