• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
"Everybody else" being 2 people, but ok, that's entirely possible, and I'd be inclined to believe it if the reaction I had was "dude, that's not funny, really" or "lame joke, man". But people are actually so over-defensive that you have to follow everything you say with a small explanation of what it means, or they'll take everything dead seriously. Which, incidentally, is what TLJ actually does. And I'm starting to realize why.
So now TLJ is dead serious? Lol, can you people make up your mind. Your criticism is all over the place.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting tidbit from the Empire interview, there's a known deleted scene where Rose, Finn and DJ are in an elevator and then some Stormtroopers get in that end up recognizing Finn, the guy from Empire says his friend in Japan saw that scene in their theater. Seems really weird and that's the first time I'm hearing about it, wonder if there's any truth to that.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting tidbit from the Empire interview, there's a known deleted scene where Rose, Finn and DJ are in an elevator and then some Stormtroopers get in that end up recognizing Finn, the guy from Empire says his friend in Japan saw that scene in their theater. Seems really weird and that's the first time I'm hearing about it, wonder if there's any truth to that.
I feel like that guy must have false memories or something because that seems very strange.

Oct 28, 2017

Yea that scene was def covered by Slashflm or one of the other sites:
Edit: found it
http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes/2/

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having just watched the throne room fight again. Major luls to anyone saying that Kylo was choreographed as being clearly superior to Rey in combat. He's not even fighting more than 1 guy when they first get seperated, and then he only 3v1s for 5 seconds tops with the rest of that time spent posing. Rey is fighting more in the opening of the fight before all that and the two of them fumble around like idiots for the entire thing while the guards all either do actions in synchronistic fashion and then freeze to get cut down of generally come in almost one at a time and to get murdered.

The entire forest fight in TFA was leagues above the thrown room sequence.

And Rey's stupid yell (mother of god lets just ignore how the force works for the same reason that people like to think that Reylo or how she acted towards him in TLJ is reasonable)for dumb fan service and all the Reylo baiting. Ugh.

I THINK I HATED THE MOVIE EVEN MORE GUYS

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I read back on this thread and found out that Bobby edited all his posts to just a single period.

What the heck is going on, hahah.

Anyways, that throne room fight, I thought at my first viewing that the opening scene was hype as fuck. Totally the embodiment of "rule of cool" there.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read back on this thread and found out that Bobby edited all his posts to just a single period.

What the heck XD

I wonder if he's taking his ball and going home? Are his other posts still up?

Before Poe enacts his mutiny the movie cuts to Holdo saying something like "who's his name and what's her face are doing what with the who-now?"

Right but that's not explicit to hinging on a misunderstanding of Hyperspace tracking. My reading of it is that she's having that reaction (and bad line) because he's off doing exactly what she should have seen coming by her not dealing with him appropriately in the first place.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Anyways, that throne room fight, I thought at my first viewing that the opening scene was hype as fuck. Totally the embodiment of "rule of cool" there.

Will we get in trouble for posting ... 'YouTube vids' of that scene... because I mean... it up.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just discuss shipping and this thread can easily go for 100 more pages.

tenor.gif

Luke/Dismembered Hans corpse head

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Having just watched the throne room fight again. Major luls to anyone saying that Kylo was choreographed as being clearly superior to Rey in combat.

He is, dude. How are we still going over this? He fights more of them at once than Rey does, he kills more of them than Rey does, his choreography is that of a trained fighter versus Rey's scrappy technique, he physically overpowers them with brute strength multiple times and elbows a motherfucker in the face while Rey gets trapped by the one dude with the whip sword. Hell he even takes one of their weapons and dual-wields for a bit.

What kind of a sour mood are you watching this with that you can't even enjoy Rey howling at that son of a bitch before she throws hands?

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He is, dude. How are we still going over this? He fights more of them at once than Rey does, he kills more of them than Rey does, his choreography is that of a trained fighter versus Rey's scrappy technique, he physically overpowers them multiple times and elbows a motherfucker in the face while Rey gets trapped by the one dude with the whip sword. Hell he even takes one of their weapons and dual-wields for a bit.

What kind of a sour mood are you watching this with that you can't enjoy Rey howling at that son of a bitch before she throws hands?

I swear to zombie Jesus will do a shot by shot dissection if that's what it takes for you to see the obvious.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I swear to zombie Jesus will do a shot by shot dissection if that's what it takes for you to see the obvious.

I'm watching the scene right now with my own eyeballs, seeing Kylo throw motherfuckers around like ragdolls and fight three on one, seeing Rey basically struggle against whip-sword guy and then split-sword guy for the entire fight. If you want to spend your afternoon telling me why not only does this not show that Kylo is the superior fighter, but that the filmmakers don't even intend for that to be the case? Bruh, knock yourself out.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He is, dude. How are we still going over this? He fights more of them at once than Rey does, he kills more of them than Rey does, his choreography is that of a trained fighter versus Rey's scrappy technique, he physically overpowers them with brute strength multiple times and elbows a motherfucker in the face while Rey gets trapped by the one dude with the whip sword. Hell he even takes one of their weapons and dual-wields for a bit.

What kind of a sour mood are you watching this with that you can't even enjoy Rey howling at that son of a bitch before she throws hands?

I'm watching the scene right now with my own eyeballs, seeing Kylo throw motherfuckers around like ragdolls and fight three on one, seeing Rey basically struggle against whip-sword guy and then split-sword guy for the entire fight. If you want to spend your afternoon telling me why not only does this not show that Kylo is the superior fighter, but that the filmmakers don't even intend for that to be the case? Bruh, knock yourself out.

a13.gif

Let's just discuss shipping and this thread can easily go for 100 more pages.

I've actually reached the point I'd rather talk about that rather than the same topic again haha.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I too thought the forest fight in TFA is much superior than the throne room, I guess I am biased here since it's more of a Finn x Rey there, I just feel much more emotionally involved.

It's way more emotional to be sure, imo the only real missteps is how they didn't play up Kylos injury more and how quick and easy it was for Rey to turn the tables. All things equal it's also just a much better, more intense, dynamic, visually interesting, and well choreographed sequence imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
It's way more emotional to be sure, imo the only real missteps is how they didn't play up Kylos injury more and how quick and easy it was for Rey to turn the tables. All things equal it's also just a much better, more intense, dynamic, visually interesting, and well choreographed sequence imo.

Well during that fight.........

a13.gif

I've actually reached the point I'd rather talk about that rather than the same topic again haha.

*Ehm*

During that fight I just love how Finn, who was so deathly afraid of First Order, actually growled in anger because Kylo hurt Rey, and that that anger is enough to push him to actually fight the big boss of the First Order.

*heart melts*

I hope that Rey will repeat that "you are nothing" line from Kylo and Finn would be like, "Nah Rey, you're something to me."

*Swoon*

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well during that fight.........

*Ehm*

During that fight I just love how Finn, who was so deathly afraid of First Order, actually growled in anger because Kylo hurt Rey, and that that anger is enough to push him to actually fight the big boss of the First Order.

*heart melts*

I hope that Rey will repeat that "you are nothing" line from Kylo and Finn would be like, "Nah Rey, you're something to me."

*Swoon*
I would be so happy for a Fin Rey relationship!

And I agree it's obvious he cares about her, and some foundations was done already.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get a TV mounted that just plays the Throne room scene on loop until the end of time.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These lips are reserved for people of discerning taste who can see how awesome it is when Rey screams at that dude.

Wo34cu5.gif

Is it awesome in a vacuum yes. Is it dumb in context for her character? Probably. It wouldn't be bad if they hadn't already done the dark side cave and had her just shrug off the Darkside. In context that scream is weightless because you know that it's just there as dumb fan bait they're having Rey play by different rules in the ST versus the other films and force sensitives.

It's not like that scream would have turned her Sith, it's simply that it's only there for fanwank and means nothing even though it should mean something, even if that something was inconsequential.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Is it awesome in a vacuum yes. Is it dumb in context for her character? Probably. It wouldn't be bad if they hadn't already done the dark side cave and had her just schrug off the Darkside. In context that scream is weightless because you know that it's just there as dumb fan bait they're having Rey play by different rules in the ST versus the other films and force sensitives. It's not like that scream would have turned her Sith, it's simply that it's only there for fanwank and means nothing even though it should mean something.

But maybe that "something" may be indeed is just that its simply, as you say, "fanwank"?

I don't think "including it just because its cool for the fans" is necessarily a bad thing, you know.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But maybe that "something" may be indeed is just that its simply, as you say, "fanwank"?

I don't think "including it just because its cool for the fans" is necessarily a bad thing, you know.

I don't really besmirch anyone for enjoying it as such, it just does not work for me in this film because it's inconsistent with how things are suppose to work. I mean the Emperors entire Shtick with Luke was about getting him to use his Lightsaber in anger and suddenly the same rules don't apply for Rey.

She's not as conflicted, but at the same time if she really isn't conflicted/drawn like Luke was than wtf is she doing screaming angrily with her Lightsaber in the first place. It's gaving your cake and eating it too.

But this post is basically a repeat of my last one so I'll leave it at that :P

Oct 25, 2017

Forgot just how much hatred was in that Finn-Kylo fight. Love how deliberate every move was and how intense the saber clashes sound, with no background music too.

Prefer it over the Rey-Kylo one TBH, also the reused set is pretty apparent during that lol.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Is it awesome in a vacuum yes. Is it dumb in context for her character? Probably. It wouldn't be bad if they hadn't already done the dark side cave and had her just shrug off the Darkside. In context that scream is weightless because you know that it's just there as dumb fan bait they're having Rey play by different rules in the ST versus the other films and force sensitives.

It's not like that scream would have turned her Sith, it's simply that it's only there for fanwank and means nothing even though it should mean something, even if that something was inconsequential.

What?

She just screams to get her blood pumping and fight, it's how Rey's has fought since TFA, going in screaming like "blaaaa!!". I don't think it was intended to signify she's flirting with the dark side or anything. She's always been roaring in battle.

Rey is more comfortable with her rage in battle because she's less afraid of the dark side and more confident of who she is as the movies pass. Screaming has never meant "dark side", per se, just Lucas never learned how to write rage without screaming.

I mean, this movie has a lot of layers to it, but it's still Star Wars and a lot of things are there to simply look and feel good, like that scream.

Edit: now that I think about it, his might actually be purposeful. Kylo in contrast, doesn't scream or rage and barely grunts.

It's Rey who is showing all the passion, a "spunk".

Last edited:

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
As lame as it sounds I appreciate they actually built light up stunt version of the sabers for lighting interactions with the environments and actors

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Fanwank

She just shouts at a dude before fighting him. There doesn't need to be any narrative weight behind it, it's just a cool thing she does because she's all fired up. She shouts and grunts all the way through the TFA fight, too; that's just how Rey is. "Such spunk...", as Snoke so eloquently puts it. It doesn't have to be a light side/dark side thing each and every time a Force user shows a little emotion.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What?

She just screams to get her blood pumping and fight, it's how Rey's has fought since TFA, going in screaming like "blaaaa!!". I don't think it was intended to signify she's flirting with the dark side or anything. She's always been roaring in battle.

I love that even on second watch, he completely missed what the point of the cave scene was, too. She didn't shrug off shit, there just was nothing that could tempt her because all the answers were already in her head.

It showed that Rey is a simple person without much ambition.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fanwank

She just shouts at a dude before fighting him. There doesn't need to be any narrative weight behind it, it's just a cool thing she does because she's all fired up. She shouts and grunts all the way through the TFA fight, too; that's just how Rey is. "Such spunk...", as Snoke so eloquently puts it. It doesn't have to be a light side/dark side thing each and every time a Force user shows a little emotion.
Well actually it kind of is. They don't need to be robots but it's about having control of your emotions (hence why Luke reacting to Kylo made him ashamed). Force users aren't just 'getting angry' like you or me, they're in touch with the energies of the universe and are susceptible to shit.

Saying that she was just yelling to get her blood pumping is your own headcannon. She's glaring at the guard in front of her. The implication is hard to deny.

I love that even on second watch, he completely missed what the point of the cave scene was, too. She didn't shrug off shit, there just was nothing that could tempt her because all the answers were already in her head.

Except I didn't miss the point, I already dragged crossing Eden through her own logical fallacy on this topic to the point where she had a fit because she didn't have anything but circular logic. We can start down the same path if you want. Being a 'simple person' doesn't protect you from the Dark Side. the Dark Side is based around negative emotion, not stopping by the local flea market and seeing the latest wears.

What was Luke's ambition? To protect his friends? How familiar. The Dark Side can be brought out by exploiting what are otherwise virtues.

Last edited:

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Rey is a hobbit confirmed?

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Well actually it kind of is. They don't need to be robots but it's about having control of your emotions (hence why Luke reacting to Kylo made him ashamed). Force users aren't just 'getting angry' like you or me, they're in touch with the energies of the universe and are susceptible to shit.

Except I didn't miss the point, I already dragged crossing Eden through her own logical fallacy on this topic to the point where she had a hissy fit because she couldn't stand by her own answers as they ate themselves. We can start down the same path if you want. Being a 'simple person' doesn't protect you from the Dark Side, the Dark Side is based around negative emotion, not stopping by the local flea market and seeing the latest wears.

What was Luke's ambition? To protect his friends? How familiar.

Gezus dude. I'm sure you're very smart and right, poor girl!

And Rey isn't immune to the dark side, but she's definetly harder to tempt because she has less to be tempted with.

And after thinking it, the passion in that fight is even more interesting now to me, thanks to your debate! She definetly has more passion and rage than the average Jedi or light-side user.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gezus dude. I'm sure you're very smart and right, poor girl!

And Rey isn't immune to the dark side, but she's definetly harder to tempt because she has less to be tempted with.

And after thinking it, the passion in that fight is even more interesting now to me, thanks to your debate! She definetly has more passion and rage than the average Jedi or light-side user.

She was the one throwing shade. She can take care of herself my man. I was very polite to her until well after the unpteenth post from her that said I was dense when I was simply asking her follow up questions. The discussion we were having was on her claim that Rey could literally never fall/be tempted.

And I agree, hopefully JJ does something with it.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you don't accidentally fall to the Dark Side by shouting in a fight too many times, though. It tries to seduce you, but if you aren't lusting for more power and don't already have questionable morals, you aren't just going to wake up one day and find that your lightsabre's turned red and you suddenly want to enslave the galaxy. You've got to want that power and make that choice deep down inside. And someone as inherently stubborn and principled as Rey isn't going to turn without something major happening in her life.

If we'd seen Rey trying to hammer an already-beaten dude into the ground in a fit of genuine rage like Luke did, then there might be something to this, but, seriously, she just shouts at the guy.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, you don't accidentally fall to the Dark Side by shouting in a fight too many times, though. It tries to seduce you, but if you aren't lusting for more power and don't already have questionable morals, you aren't just going to wake up one day and find that your lightsabre's turned red and you suddenly want to enslave the galaxy. You've got to want that power and make that choice deep down inside. And someone as inherently stubborn and principled as Rey isn't going to turn without something major happening in her life.

If we'd seen Rey trying to hammer an already-beaten dude into the ground in a fit of genuine rage like Luke did, then there might be something to this, but, seriously, she just shouts at the guy.

Yeah. I've said prior that the shout itself —in isolation— is inconsequential. No argument there.

But Luke only did that because his want to protect others was that strong. Rey is probably harder to crack, but her passions and emotions flow much more freely than Luke's did, and that is a potential pitfall.

« It is the only way to save your friends. "

They even have Rey get upset when Smoke does that whole 'watch the fleet burn' bit. Everything that happens in that scene would qualify as 'something pretty important in her life'

Last edited:

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Except I didn't miss the point, I already dragged crossing Eden through her own logical fallacy on this topic to the point where she had a fit because she didn't have anything but circular logic. We can start down the same path if you want. Being a 'simple person' doesn't protect you from the Dark Side. the Dark Side is based around negative emotion, not stopping by the local flea market and seeing the latest wears.

What was Luke's ambition? To protect his friends? How familiar. The Dark Side can be brought out by exploiting what are otherwise virtues.

Translation: I'm right and you're wrong.

Holy fuck, your wording is so absolutely, massively arrogant, I'm not even going to entertain you with a response any longer.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They even have Rey get upset when Smoke does that whole 'watch the fleet burn' bit. Everything that happens in that scene would qualify as 'something pretty important in her life'

Well, sure it could have been, but that scene didn't end up going the way we expected. Snoke was never trying to tempt her to the Dark Side by threatening her friends in the way Sheev was with Luke in RotJ; he's just a heel who wanted to enjoy her suffering before he killed her. And even though she did try and take up her lightsabre and strike Snoke down in anger, he wasn't interested in it, and the next thing you know Snoke's in pieces and Kylo and Rey are tagteaming it up, then the lightsabre tug-o-war, and right after that Holdo does her thing and turns the whole tide of the battle.

Rey's definitely a passionate character, but I don't think she's the kind of passionate where you aren't in control of your emotions like Anakin and Kylo, or even Luke. She's headstrong, and she wears her heart on her sleeve, but she seems to have a pretty rock-solid moral compass. I mean, she wouldn't be the only Jedi we've ever seen that never really flirts with the Light/Dark thing. We'll see how it goes in IX, obviously, but I don't think the writers have ever planned for that conflict to be part of her arc in these movies.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
This was obvious. Unfortunately irrational haters jumped on the idea that it was about destroying the past at the same time some hyper defenders of the film attempted to argue the film totally re invents and de constructs the legacy of the old films, which they viewed as a good thing.

The funny thing is that a lot of people that loved the film also jumped on letting go of the past, lol