• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The High Republic sounds like the whole senate is smokin something
g7fezfrsvxb01.jpg

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whole thing is a bit underwhelming but at least they seem to be leaning hard on the fantasy side of the franchise, instead of Lucas' more pseudo sci-fi concepts

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Star Wars The Old Republic , the MMORPG, continues the story. There was also a book written for what happened between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR to Revan. You can play the MMO by yourself btw just need to be online, there's 8 class stories that are all goo but the Jedi Knight is more of the continuation of KOTOR 1 and 2

Yea sorry I was joking, I know what they did. I want a singleplayer continuation in the same vein as SWTORs predecessors ie. rpg with DnD combat and such.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Ahh.. So they're books.

And several comic series and MakingStarWars believes there are also movies being developed in his time period.

We know that the movie trilogy D&D were gonna do were the origins of the Jedi, which would set thousands of years before the OT.

We don't know if this is a direction LucasFilm still wants to go without D&D but it's definitely something was gonna happen. The whole idea behind Rian's trilogy was also that it would be 100% new and have zero connection to anything we've seen. Lucasfilm knows that for Star Wars to continue, we need to start seeing new things. High Republic is a good indication of them wanting to do this, even if it's only set 200 years before.

Do you have a source on that D&D information? MakingStarWars said the pair was working on the High Republic films, not the origin of the Jedi.

Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called "The High Republic" era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. [...]

These new films will not make up a trilogy but rather a series of films which will be released in the same story era and interconnect. D.B Weiss and David Benioff were to make this series before moving onto a more lucrative deal.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
variety.com

‘Star Wars’: Inside ‘Game of Thrones’ Creators’ Exit and the Pressures Facing Lucasfilm (EXCLUSIVE)

The Star Wars universe keeps cycling through directors and creators with the departures of David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Benioff and Weiss had ambitious plans to take the "Star Wars" universe in a new direction, one that would exist apart from the Skywalker family saga that comprised the franchise's centerpiece nine-film series. The "Star Wars" period the pair was interested in exploring was how the Jedi came to exist. However, Lucasfilm executives and the creators begin to see their visions for the films diverge during meetings last summer.

We also now know that High Republic was something that first started to be talked about in 2014. I don't think D&D would come onboard in 2017 to then work on something EU related that was already being worked on for 3 years.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
200 years is kind of deflating to me, it doesn't mean they can't tell good stories, it just feels like an unnecessary albatross to put on yourself. There's only so far you can take things before you have to bring it back to the status quo so it fits with TPM, the fact you have characters that are alive the whole time like Yoda compounds that issue.

Like you can't do crazy shit like KOTOR with a hidden Sith Empire that invades or SW Galactus(Nihilus) eating planets and annihilating the order.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
200 years is kind of deflating to me, it doesn't mean they can't tell good stories, it just feels like an unnecessary albatross to put on yourself. There's only so far you can take things before you have to bring it back to the status quo so it fits with TPM, the fact you have characters that are alive the whole time like Yoda compounds that issue.

Like you can't do crazy shit like KOTOR with a hidden Sith Empire that invades or SW Galactus(Nihilus) eating planets and annihilating the order.

I honestly think it's only as limiting as they choose it to be. Assuming, at best, we're going to be getting a sum of stories that could cover, say, a 5-50 year span within this time period, that still leaves quite enough of a buffer for them to do whatever they want, and acknowledge "what is to come" as they so wish. Likewise, all the while building up a new cast of characters, factions and mythos that can equally be as self-contained or have wider repercussions on the series.

Or to put it another way, as much as the old and new EUs alike have gotten so much mileage out of The Clone Wars and "The Dark Times" (post-ROTS/pre-ANH) time periods, I'd be disappointed if they weren't able to do similar with a time period that is completely untapped.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Snoke was supposed to be alive in this era before TROS retconned this (TLJ Andy Serkis said Snoke was "a couple hundred years old")

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
When Sheev tells Yoda in ROTS "I have waited a long time for this moment my little green friend", maybe he was alluding to a previous encounter in the High Republic era 🤔
Probably (and certainly at the time of filming) just about how long Palpatine had known Yoda for as Chancellor, but I like this still, even through another Rule of Two Sith.

It's my head canon is that when Palpatine's voice seems to totally change and become otherworldly after Windu's death, it's not because of the lightning - before it was Palpatine, now the souls of the Sith in Palpatine have taken over, and all the souls are making him act insane.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can see myself getting into these, if the reception is solid. Just gotta hope the Jedi aren't the "sit around and be kinda terrible" types they were in the prequels, because that's real boring.

Honestly more than anything I'm glad they aren't up against an evil empire, that's what I didn't like about KotOR.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
When they said they were called the Nihil and their motto was "You can't take it with you, but we can take it from you." I immediately thought of the 3 nihilists from The Big Lebowski.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
When they said they were called the Nihil and their motto was "You can't take it with you, but we can take it from you." I immediately thought of the 3 nihilists from The Big Lebowski.
I don't quite understand that motto. Sounds like graverobbers? And also a bit contradictory, because it begs to be answered with "You can take it from me, but you can't take it with you". I'm curious how it will play out in the end.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't quite understand that motto. Sounds like graverobbers? And also a bit contradictory, because it begs to be answered with "You can take it from me, but you can't take it with you". I'm curious how it will play out in the end.
It immediately reminded me of that scene in Goldeneye when they're trying to crack Boris' password to track the helicopter.

"You can sit on it...but you can't take it with you"

"Chair!"

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
I think it's that they're nihilists so they believe in nothing beyond living in the moment and being as rich as possible while being in that moment so they're like, super evil space pirates and extra grimdark because they have vibro-axes and take no prisoners. They will have little to no redeeming qualities but it will take a ragtag combination of Jedi peacekeepers who act like wandering samurai teaming up with the industrious skills of smugglers who really have a heart of gold hidden under their rough exterior in order to stop this horrible plague upon the galaxy.

Oh and they're being controlled by a Sith lord.

Tropes aside, this is a cool idea celebrating a lot of new material in the SW universe and I'm totally on board for it. I'll give it a chance and withhold actual judgement until then.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally commenting on this.

200 years? man fiction really does have a poor sense of scale and time. whatever, as long as it's completely new. might even pick up Light of the Jedi (me? read a book? what sorcery is this!?). since they're not beholden to expensive-ass movies, there should a wide variety of genres to cover. I'm hoping the inevitable games will be akin to Knights of the Old Republic in the sense of adventure and places to visit. and now that The Mandalorian has proven the technology, I would think some show concepts are being prepped with virtual production in mind already

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
honestly the premise of this works super well for a FO style game where you visit different planets that have their own conflicts going on or even visiting uncharted planets seeking knowledge. Era lends itself to plenty of new ideas for lightsaber customization too. 🤤 And ofc a new enemy faction in the nihil compared to storm troopers.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Jedi naming sure are weird ahaha Burryaga Agaburry it's something that would come out of a frog if he learned to speak.

i'm digging all the art but not the concept... i think Star Wars is dead to me but let's see, i'm open minded.

sure hearing the hyperbole coming out of people involved is not helping either.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Are they, though? They were all manhandled by a dude named Sheev and even they attempted they could not feel the Force like they once could.

Jedi in the PT are jobbers.

I mean according to TROS, Sheev Palpatine is a literal avatar of all the Sith Lords that came before him. So powerful that he could lightning Star Destroyers from the ground.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes. My hundreds of other big budget, pulpy space operas in existence. Good call...

Funny enough, the Mandalorian scratches my itch nearly perfectly. So at least I still have that until Disney wants to make Mando a force user.

And this is why the Jedi stuff worked in the OT. Like, it wasn't something stupid where the lightning bolts get deflected to take down a whole fleet of star destroyers. In the OT, the Jedi were supposed to be extremely rare to the point that nobody really knew for sure if they existed or not. When you take away that mystique, it's kinda (really) stupid. In the prequels and sequels, the Jedi are basically an abundant magic people where the main character is going to have to out-magic the magic-baddie. It's just so lazy and boring. If they're making a whole initiative surrounding the Jedi, it's feeling like it's going to be less of a personal story that surrounds a larger conflict, and more of just a space-magic clusterfuck for the kids and prequel fans.

Watch all of the Clone Wars if you don't think personal stories can't be told when the Jedi are in abundance.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Disappointing that is set only 200 before PT, who wants to see mid-life crisis yoda? And the references are gonna be all over.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's that they're nihilists so they believe in nothing beyond living in the moment and being as rich as possible while being in that moment so they're like, super evil space pirates and extra grimdark because they have vibro-axes and take no prisoners. They will have little to no redeeming qualities but it will take a ragtag combination of Jedi peacekeepers who act like wandering samurai teaming up with the industrious skills of smugglers who really have a heart of gold hidden under their rough exterior in order to stop this horrible plague upon the galaxy.

Oh and they're being controlled by a Sith lord.

And the Sith Lord is called Darth Nihilus who believes all life in the universe must be devoured, but is not the original Sith Lord. Some hapless force sensitive found the mask and was possessed by Nihilus who had stored his soul within the mask so he could endure, as his body was being fully consumed by his unending hunger.

5a46663a40cf9359306533044f1354dbb6468606_hq.gif

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Man :/ I was actually looking forward to checking out the first book this summer, it was gonna be the first one I read from the new canon.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Delayed 🙁

www.starwars.com

Star Wars: The High Republic Sees Revised Release Dates

The highly-anticipated publishing initiative will kick off in January 2021 following recent world events.
Aw man, I was really looking forward to reading Light of the Jedi.
Bummer, but it can't be helped.

Some interesting tidbits in there though:
The Hero of Hetzal
The 'twins' (a possible Force dyad?)
The Starros (Sana Starros from the comics) and San Tekka clans (Lor San Tekka is Max von Sydow' character from Force Awakens)
The Blade of Bardotta
The Storms

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Dang, don't authors basically work from home anyway?

Most companies are dealing with lot of slow downs throughout industry, manufacturing, and other sources. Also lot of companies are delaying as they are seeing reduced shipments and demand at physical retail locations and want to wait till more things open up. Lot of retailers just aren't ordering product since they are closed or retail business is going to be slow returning to normal.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most companies are dealing with lot of slow downs throughout industry, manufacturing, and other sources. Also lot of companies are delaying as they are seeing reduced shipments and demand at physical retail locations and want to wait till more things open up. Lot of retailers just aren't ordering product since they are closed or retail business is going to be slow returning to normal.

Much like TLOU2, if only we could release them digitally

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Much like TLOU2, if only we could release them digitally

Digital exists but physical copies of comics, books, games still sell tons of copies and releasing too soon is going to be lost revenue for all. Many people just refuse to buy digital or will not buy if that's the only option, and in cases like comics and books, physical is still huge business.