• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017

Close second to MK8D DLC as the most random announcement. Especially as this is the Wii version, NOT the PS360 version. Wasn't the Wii version its own custom thing separate from the HD version? Krome did the Wii (and PS2 downport?), who did the HD version?

Edit: HQ trailer, 60fps confirmed!

What timing too as I just booted up Ty 1 on Switch just prior and it's a BEAUT of a remaster. Very vivid and smooth at 60fps. Krome did the Switch version of that on their own (QLOC did the PS4 and XBO versions). Wonder if that same magic is at work here?

Here's the segment in the Direct at 13:12 which IMO looks better than the trailer?

Last edited:

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
ima step in before the usual discourse of 'wii game looks butt' takes

motion controls for this was rad and dumb and everything you expect from pretending to wield a lightsaber but in reality you were waving around a plastic remote

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Never played this game, but why the Wii one of all versions? That's like SEGA making a remaster of Sonic Unleashed on Wii.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I was scratching my head at this announcement. Why the Wii version? Because of the multiplayer?

I don't know if it's better than the HD version. Both are very much 6/10 games. Wii version looks like ass, though.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Guess it was too much to ask for a definitive edition that had the best parts of the Wii version mixed with the PS3/360 version xD

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Why the Wii version

I loved this game on 360

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's kind of cool that Disney is acknowledging that this game exists at all. Get Sam Witwer into live action Star Wars! Canonize Starkiller! Lol.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Close second to MK8D DLC as the most random remaster. Especially as this is the Wii version, NOT the PS360 version. Wasn't the Wii version its own custom thing separate from the HD version? Krome did the Wii (and PS2 downport?), who did the HD version?

The HD version was developed in-house by LucasArts themselves. It was their big project through the 00s.

Never played this game, but why the Wii one of all versions? That's like SEGA making a remaster of Sonic Unleashed on Wii.

I suspect a combination of:
A minimising of legal issues (ie, they get the version previously published on a Nintendo platform, rather than have to make a new contract for the different port)
Maximising potential performance on the mobile hardware
Available developers. Particularly Krome - they'll be very much looking to get any work they can (can't just Kickstart Ty games forever)

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What a weird port, but honestly, I dig it. There's a bunch of hidden "Wii versions" of games that will be lost to time.

The Boat

Oct 28, 2017
I thought the Wii version was much better than the PS360 one. Nothing outstanding, but mostly fun.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
The Wii version is actually really good, much better than the 360/PS3/PC versions, so I'm fine with this.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Aspyr could work their magic to make a Rogue Squadron Collection happen.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Always funny how retroactively accurate the title of "Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands" became. Not only is the PS360 version forgotten, but the apparently better Wii version especially lol.
Different situation because The Forgotten Sands Wii is fucking phenomenal. Much better than HD version. It's really only surpassed by Sands of Time.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Should be native 1080p, but I'm absolutely ecstatic to have this version of the game made available on modern hardware regardless. The visual upgrades (or lack thereof) won't even matter.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
So The Force Unleashed on Wii was the superior version as well?

Kinda off-topic, but the Werehog levels in the Wii version of Unleashed were far more tolerable. More platforming than brawling, less stiff controls and the levels weren't even half as long as in the PS360 version. Which is absolutely a good thing, considering how many of them are present and how dragged out they are.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They can still bring the other version as the "Ultimate Sith Version". They're totally different games and PS3 version got the Sith content too.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
In fairness, a remaster of the Wii/PS2 versions of Sonic Unleashed would be better than a remaster of the 360/PS3 versions, even if it'd be missing a few daytime levels.

Kinda off-topic, but the Werehog levels in the Wii version of Unleashed were far more tolerable. More platforming than brawling, less stiff controls and the levels weren't even half as long as in the PS360 version. Which is absolutely a good thing, considering how many of them are present and how dragged out they are.
^^^^^

Oct 25, 2017
Different situation because The Forgotten Sands Wii is fucking phenomenal. Much better than HD version. It's really only surpassed by Sands of Time.
Can't really tell, since I've only played TFU on 360, it seems it could go either way on this game.

But yeah I definitely hear that a lot about Forgotten Sands. Only played Sands and Rival Swords (and 2008) so I should definitely go back one day for that. Just can't find the time.

It has basically a totally different story too, right? That's so strange but kind of interesting too.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Is it really though?

Yes it is lol.

I think it's kind of cool that Disney is acknowledging that this game exists at all. Get Sam Witwer into live action Star Wars! Canonize Starkiller! Lol.

Everything cool about Starkiller has been shifted to other characters. He wouldn't be anything special in canon lol. Ahsoka is now Anakin/Vaders prized apprentice (backwards wielding and dual sabers included) The Inquisitors exist now to hunt and kill Jedi. Ezra and Kanan, (and Ahsoka who isnt a jedi) were the jedi that helped the Rebels.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I remember that the psp version of Force Unleashed had a couple extra boss fights that weren't included in the HD version. Were those in the Wii version as well?

Oct 28, 2017

The Wii version of Sonic Unleashed isn't as bad as the HD version. But it also isn't as good.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020

I actually hated them way more, at least the combat in the PS360 had some different combos the only issue I have were the ungodly duration of the stages.

Unleashed on Wii is way worse as a whole imo, but would be nice if both got Remastered one day

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
360 version of Force Unleashed was better than the Wii version in my memory - and I just checked Metacritic and the 360 version is indeed the higher scoring game. (Though barely). Not sure why everybody remembers the Wii version being good?

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are they going to add support for regular controllers? I think the original game was Wiimote only.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
I played "this" version of the game on the PS2, and it was definitely more fun than on PS3. I remember the variety of combos and powers being more interesting.

If you dig the wiggle controls for some dumb lightsaber fun, this could be the perfect edition lol

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what're the differences between the Wii and PS360 versions?
I've only played the PS2 and PC versions, and the campaings were different. I remember liking the PS2 version more, since it was more focused and less bloated/gimmicky. Also, you had cool costumes from different SW characters, while the PC versions were mostly outfits for Starkiller.

As far as I know the PS2, PSP, and Wii versions had the same campaign, and the Wii had motion controllers (duh) plus a VS mode.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Portable mode is supported, plus Krome's email says "optional" motion controls, so I guess they're using the PS2 version's controls in button mode.

Just like its original release on the Nintendo Wii™, players can unleash devastating Force powers and lightsaber combos using the Nintendo Joy-Con™ controller's optional motion controls. Use the Nintendo Joy-Con motion controls to truly feel the destructive power of the Force.

www.nintendo.com

STAR WARS™: The Force Unleashed™ for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy STAR WARS™: The Force Unleashed™ and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I played "this" version of the game on the PS2, and it was definitely more fun than on PS3. I remember the variety of combos and powers being more interesting.

If you dig the wiggle controls for some dumb lightsaber fun, this could be the perfect edition lol
I tried the Wii version and controllers were awful. They must had though so too, because on the sequel, you can pretty much play using only the buttons.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I really liked the Wii version at launch and have never been able to enjoy the HD versions. I wonder if it still holds up.

I'm glad they're remastering a version that isn't already available on other modern systems.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
360 version of Force Unleashed was better than the Wii version in my memory - and I just checked Metacritic and the 360 version is indeed the higher scoring game. (Though barely). Not sure why everybody remembers the Wii version being good?
For me personally, I liked the level design a lot more in the SD version. Playing both the PS3 and PSP versions back to back in 2017 reaffirmed my opinion. The only nice thing I can say about the HD version is that it looks really good.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am amazed at the decision to remaster it at all. It was a fun game when i brought it used for 10 bucks. But nothing i would think is worthy of a remaster. Maybe a emulated port.