Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Pure speculation here, but check your hotspot / memory junction temperatures (you can do this in HwInfo). See if they differ wildly from your other games.

Different games have different load profiles, no "100% usage" is the same (see for example what Furmark does vs. What a normal game does), but your issue sounds extreme.

All settings are stock, right? No OC, undervolt or any modifications? Hit that "restore to stock" button in Afterburner to be sure :)

Hot spot hit 97 C in Outlaws but my max temp was 80, an improvement from yesterday. Maybe it was something in the prologue + higher RTX lighting settings?

Tamaa

May 16, 2021
RTX 3080 - 4K - DLSS Performance
Mix of "optimized settings" and RT to medium
And "streamer dedicated budget" to 4096
Around 75 fps during prologue. Let's see how it goes later in the open areas

Outlaws-20240827-17h14m37s-3840x2160.png

Outlaws-20240827-17h40m19s-3840x2160.png

Last edited:

Gravelord

Jul 19, 2023
"Path tracing" and "full ray tracing" are synonymous. RTXDI isn't necessarily a "feature split" of path tracing. All lighting in the scene is path-traced. There are just different algorithms beings used to make that process as efficient as possible.

So look at things like RTXDI and ReSTIR as optimizations in the process of path tracing. They aren't meant to produce individual effects like shadows or ambient occlusion. They are holistic solutions. RTXDI solves all direct lighting and shadow, whole a separate algorithm is used to solve for indirect lighting and shadow.

so all lighting with RTXDI is path traced but it's not considered path tracing in the traditional sense?

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
7800X3D/4090 and 64GB 6000M/T, 3440x1440 and it runs great, I'm also using "-unlockmaxsettings" and set "streamer dedicated" to 8192 but it seems to always want to set back to 5000 something, I'll try setting the file to read-only. Only thing that isn't max is RTXDI set to High.

In the tutorial area and first time you see the canto bight from high above at night it's been around 100-130fps. (Quality DLSS/FG).
Was worried when I first booted up the game and it was 33fps haha, lots of stuff to turn on.

Only thing I don't like is the HDR, it seems like a grey haze over everything, RTX HDR seems to be better and can tune the contrast but it has a perf hit of about 10% ish.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
7800X3D/4090 and 64GB 6000M/T, 3440x1440 and it runs great, I'm also using "-unlockmaxsettings" and set "streamer dedicated" to 8192 but it seems to always want to set back to 5000 something, I'll try setting the file to read-only. Only thing that isn't max is RTXDI set to High.

In the tutorial area and first time you see the canto bight from high above at night it's been around 100-130fps. (Quality DLSS/FG).
Was worried when I first booted up the game and it was 33fps haha, lots of stuff to turn on.

Only thing I don't like is the HDR, it seems like a grey haze over everything, RTX HDR seems to be better and can tune the contrast but it has a perf hit of about 10% ish.
What are the consequences of increasing that streamer dedicated number? Do we know actually what that's doing? Does it need to be proportionate to your video card memory?

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I have the game installed on a sata ssd but it warns me I'm using a mechanical hdd. Should I get a nvme ssd or is it just a bug?

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting better performance using the Outlaw setting than the normal ultra. What the hell? Lol

Even changed dlss from balanced to quality. Weird.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
What are the consequences of increasing that streamer dedicated number? Do we know actually what that's doing? Does it need to be proportionate to your video card memory?

I'd like to know this as well before I tweak it

When I loaded the game with the default and edited settings I didn't see any FPS change, but very noticable texture increase.
Image is undersaturdated because I guess HDR to SDR viewer or whatever, but look at the floor (right of Kay) between the two images, it's crazy!

RTXDI looks very nice but the performance hit is understandably large. I am fine with off and everything else maxed.

It also seems to add some minor stuttering. Not constant or anything like that but I get zero stutters with it off, and occasional stutters with it on.

I'm torn on using it. I can turn it off, crank everything else to 11 and be consistently 120fps

RafikiX

Mar 24, 2023
I believe Rtxdi is causing the massive framedrop in the open world, I could reproduce them in the house where you have to use the ion blaster to open the door.
When I turned it off it was smooth. I guess it's really bugged as they say..

MasterChief

Feb 6, 2024
Anyone figure out a fix for the raised black levels in HDR? Preferably one that is compatible with frame generation?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Well in the weirdest fucking problem I've faced with a game in forever, I have fixed my insta crash of enabling frame gen. I saw a thread for an AMD card for another game that the frame gen was crashing when the SteelSeries GG app was allowed to capture moments. Turned that off, frame gen enabled with no problem.

As for my temps, after frame gen was enabled I was curious and I maxed everything out, and in the heat of the day, it's still running hot, max temp of 85, hot spot of 103, but it's hovering around 78 which is about what I see with the vertical mount and case I have in other more demanding games. No more thermal throttling, and framegen makes this run so nicely.

why is cinematic display mode greyed out for me? I have 32:9 screen and I want the cut scenes to not look like ass

How do you apply it in game?

You install the filter through reshade (browse and find the Outlaws .exe), launch game, press home to bring up the reshade menu, click the black floor fix, then in the bottom menu click the sdr black floor emulation

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
TechPowerUp has an article up including some screenshot comparisons of various detail settings and performance numbers.
www.techpowerup.com

Star Wars Outlaws Performance Benchmark Review - 35 GPUs Tested

Star Wars Outlaws is a new title in the iconic Star Wars universe, which lets you play as member of the criminal underworld. The game uses the Snowdrop engine, and delivers great graphics. In our performance review, we'll look at the game's graphics quality, VRAM consumption, and how it runs...

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Game looked gorgeous during the tutorial area, but now that I'm in the open world the shadow distance is really distracting me. Is there a setting that extends that?

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
TechPowerUp has an article up including some screenshot comparisons of various detail settings and performance numbers.
www.techpowerup.com

Star Wars Outlaws Performance Benchmark Review - 35 GPUs Tested

Star Wars Outlaws is a new title in the iconic Star Wars universe, which lets you play as member of the criminal underworld. The game uses the Snowdrop engine, and delivers great graphics. In our performance review, we'll look at the game's graphics quality, VRAM consumption, and how it runs...
Yeah there's a big diffwrence between low and ultra

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
Goodness this game eats VRAM, only just got to Toshara and I'm hitting 21GB utilization at mostly max settings on my 4090.
the game will pre-allocate VRAM based on the game area, to cut down on actively pulling assets from the SSD on demand.

It also seems to add some minor stuttering. Not constant or anything like that but I get zero stutters with it off, and occasional stutters with it on.

I'm torn on using it. I can turn it off, crank everything else to 11 and be consistently 120fps
It increases active VRAM usage quite a bit. That's probably the cause of stutter.

Seems like they can probably dial in VRAM usage and allocation, a bit better.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
6 crashes in about 6 hours of play, just gonna wait a bit and see if it gets patched up in the next few days.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I'm crashing about once every 30 mins which is especially fun when it means you have to redo stealth segments.

yotsuben

Just one more thing...
Oct 25, 2017
PA
I'm also having frequent crashing. Tried every possible setting (turning off cloud saves, Ubisoft overlay, running in admin mode, various graphics settings), but then relented and submitted a bug ticket with Ubisoft on their discord. Hard to enjoy the game when it crashes straight to desktop every 10-30 minutes. Hopefully they can patch it soon.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
What's irritated me most about the PC version is the amount of pre recorded cutscenes that stand out like a sore thumb playing the game.

Forceflow

Nov 5, 2019
Belgium
Maybe a question for Dictator: does RTXDI performance impact linearly scale with amount and size of light sources (since every light emitter is now a contributor to direct lighting)? Or is it comparable to a physically correct version of the "clustered lights"-approach that was popular in deferred titles, like Battlefield 4?

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
So the frames just weren't there trying to max everything, maybe with performance patches or eventually just brute force it when the 5090 comes out. lol

I ended up turning off RTXDI completely, set every advanced setting from Max/Ultra to High, and DLSS to Balanced and this nets me 100+fps while playing at 5120x1440. I could do Quality for DLSS but my fps drops to around 70 using the speeder in the open world which is doable but I still wanted more frames. Balanced gives me like 90.

I also did the 8192 streaming edit and HDR ReShade fix and the game still looks great even if not maxed out.

Feb 6, 2024
So now that im home ive been playing with some of the settings you all recommended.

When RTXDI and Ray Construction is on is when my 4090 goes to sounding like a Jet, and its really loud. I've used ray construction with stuff maxed out in other games and tried them there, can't replicate it. Its weird

So the frames just weren't there trying to max everything, maybe with performance patches or eventually just brute force it when the 5090 comes out. lol

I ended up turning off RTXDI completely, set every advanced setting from Max/Ultra to High, and DLSS to Balanced and this nets me 100+fps while playing at 5120x1440. I could do Quality for DLSS but my fps drops to around 70 using the speeder in the open world which is doable but I still wanted more frames. Balanced gives me like 90.

I also did the 8192 streaming edit and HDR ReShade fix and the game still looks great even if not maxed out.

I haven't tried the streaming edit, do you notice a difference?

I also turned off RTXDI and maxed out the other RT settings

The HDR black level fix really helps. I hate elevated greys

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
So now that im home ive been playing with some of the settings you all recommended.

When RTXDI and Ray Construction is on is when my 4090 goes to sounding like a Jet, and its really loud. I've used ray construction with stuff maxed out in other games and tried them there, can't replicate it. Its weird

Happening to a lot of us. Is it just loud or are your temps high too?

Oct 25, 2017
Would this look better on a 5800x3D/3060ti than a series x? Kinda underwhelmed on Xbox and seeing a lot of lovely Pc pics but I know my gpu is getting kinda meh.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I haven't tried the streaming edit, do you notice a difference?

I also turned off RTXDI and maxed out the other RT settings

The HDR black level fix really helps. I hate elevated greys

tbh the streaming edit was noticeable with a before/after image but in actual gameplay I really don't notice much.

What I do notice is my VRAM maxing out the longer I play and my game turning textures into soup. This was happening before the edit too so I don't think it makes it worse or anything.

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
The PC version must have some kind of memory leak because my VRAM fills up to the max after playing for a couple of hours and textures start breaking. Just closing and reopening the game fixes the issue. Playing on a 4090, ultra settings + dlls + framegen.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
That sounds like something they can fix.

Lower your extra streaming distance and object detail sliders to fix the texture streaming issues. I had to lower distance to zero and detail to 100 on my 3070. I'm not sure what visual effects those have as the game looks just as good as before I lowered them and the textures have been fine for the past 5 hours

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Lower your extra streaming distance and object detail sliders to fix the texture streaming issues. I had to lower distance to zero and detail to 100 on my 3070. I'm not sure what visual effects those have as the game looks just as good as before I lowered them and the textures have been fine for the past 5 hours

I'll try this, but at the same time there is no way this game should be eating up 24GB of VRAM on a 4090.. lol

ChitonIV

Nov 14, 2021
I'll try this, but at the same time there is no way this game should be eating up 24GB of VRAM on a 4090.. lol
its not actively using 24GB. It is attempting to intelligently pre-allocate data it may need, for the area you are in. That way when it does actively need it, it only needs to grab it from the pre-allocated pool already in VRAM. Rather than send a request out to the CPU, which then grabs it from the SSD and put its into the system RAM, and then sends it off to the VRAM, etc. The result should be smoother/faster gameplay or better looking assets actively loaded around you, or both.

Undoubtedly, they will need a patch or two, to optimize the behavior. But its not at all a new idea. Death Stranding, for example, does it. And also has a setting in the options, which gives you some control over it.
Most games don't actively need the VRAM of a 7900XT, 7900 XTX, 3090, or 4090. So if they can find a way to use it to benefit visuals and/or performance, that's good.

Feb 6, 2024
Happening to a lot of us. Is it just loud or are your temps high too?

Before they were hovering around 65-75 degrees, but when i tried to play just now they got up above 80

Ima wait for some changes, gonna let them work on it a bit. That CPU Update someone posted for the Windows Insider thing pushed the frames up even further forreal tho lol

Before they were hovering around 65-75 degrees, but when i tried to play just now they got up above 80

Ima wait for some changes, gonna let them work on it a bit. That CPU Update someone posted for the Windows Insider thing pushed the frames up even further forreal tho lol

I've never been a windows insider but I saw the HU video about Win11 24H2 boosting AMD CPUs, so I rushed to try it

Now I'm stuck in the dev channel of insider builds (so potential unstable updates moving forward) and apparently I can't get out without a clean windows re-install, but on my 5800x3D I have gotten better performance

I use a slight power limit on my 4090, highest temp so far I've seen in this game is 72.
CPU hits 70 in busy areas

SliChillax

Oct 30, 2017
Tirana, Albania
I'm crashing about once every 30 mins which is especially fun when it means you have to redo stealth segments.
6 crashes in about 6 hours of play, just gonna wait a bit and see if it gets patched up in the next few days.

I'm also having frequent crashing. Tried every possible setting (turning off cloud saves, Ubisoft overlay, running in admin mode, various graphics settings), but then relented and submitted a bug ticket with Ubisoft on their discord. Hard to enjoy the game when it crashes straight to desktop every 10-30 minutes. Hopefully they can patch it soon.

The PC version must have some kind of memory leak because my VRAM fills up to the max after playing for a couple of hours and textures start breaking. Just closing and reopening the game fixes the issue. Playing on a 4090, ultra settings + dlls + framegen.
Appreciate all you heroes beta testing a Ubisoft game on launch