• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mostly the fact that previews almost always have inflated possitivity and the footage doesn't align with what is being said...like...at all. They're claiming there is depth to the combat and yet it looks like a poor man's souls game. They claim the world is open for exploration and yet we see corridors and linear paths. It could just be yet another case of a poor choice of footage to show off the game though *shrugs* but I certainly ain't taking a preview as some evidence of it being a great game.

I'd welcome a good star wars game though so maybe it's going to be some 90+ essential purchase. Hell, It's been a fucking age since we got one. If it is I'm happy to accept that i was wrong.

So your assumption is that all the dozens of previews we have from different game writers are all wrong, despite them playing the game for multiple hours. Because of how you interpret 15 minutes of repetitive footage?

Like, is there a single bad preview of this game at this moment out of all the ones we have? And you think they are all wrong?....all of them?

Truly confusing.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Did they say no microtransactions or no DLC at all? If this turns out well, I wouldnt mind additional SP content.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
So your assumption is that all the dozens of previews we have from different game writers are all wrong, despite them playing the game for multiple hours. Because of how you interpret 15 minutes of repetitive footage?

Like, is there a single bad preview of this game at this moment out of all the ones we have? And you think they are all wrong?....all of them?

Truly confusing.

It's hard to trust the media when we can just believe our own lying eyes.
the game — on paper — checks every box for me, down to my favorite devs developing it, yet I watch the videos and I'm baffled at how awful it looks to me.

Blair Brown

Producer at Respawn Entertainment
Verified
Apr 8, 2019
There are 5 categories; Emitter, Switch, Sleeve, Material (the metal), and Colour (blade). Different Emitters, Switches, Sleeves, and Materials can be found throughout the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There are 5 categories; Emitter, Switch, Sleeve, Material (the metal), and Colour (blade). Different Emitters, Switches, Sleeves, and Materials can be found throughout the game.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. Hopefully there's some cool saber color options - more than just the usual red/green/blue trinity. Silver saber would be amazing.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Wait, what about color? Can't change it? Or does the combination of stuff change the color. I don't know shit about lightsabers

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I started Ashen via Game Pass. It's my first Souls-like game and I love it. The more I hear about this game, the more I am interested in it. Respawn has yet to make a bad game and I was already thinking of getting this day one, but the glowing previews are definitely increasing my chances of doing so.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I've been a huge star wars fan my entire life. All of my friends got into Star Wars because I showed it to them. I've won more in person trivia contests than I'm actually proud of mentioning. So I've been very very weary of this title. Not because I didn't trust respawn because I don't trust EA as far as I can pick up their HQ and toss it. But after these previews I'm sold. After E3 I was joking calling it MetroidSoulWars because that's what it seemed like they were trying to do and I wasn't sure they coudl pull it off. But holy shit it looks like they have. It has the exploration of a metroid style game with some classic respawn wall running. The combat is soulsborne through and through with a difficulty option for if I get stuck for 2 sodding hours on 1 boss. And its pretty clear they care about the licences (Respawn, I don't think EA cares about anything).

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Hopefully there's some cool saber color options - more than just the usual red/green/blue trinity. Silver saber would be amazing.

Orange is a pre order bonus, so hoping that's indicative that we're going beyond the trinity as well.

I can't think of an example of orange since the canon reset, so I hope they go wild with the color options

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Not really a surprise but nightbrothers and sisters are confirmed to be appear as enemies on Dathomir.

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a couple of videos, this game honestly just looks great to me. Did a complete 180 since E3. That fight against Arrancar 9 looked like a ton of fun.

Orange is a pre order bonus, so hoping that's indicative that we're going beyond the trinity as well.

I can't think of an example of orange since the canon reset, so I hope they go wild with the color options
Did they confirm purple?

Oct 25, 2017
This is feeling like it could be one of those Arkham Asylum situations.
To be fair, Arkham Asylum redefined melee combat in games.

For the worse, in my opinion, but the point is that it wasn't just a licensed title that was actually really good, it was really influential in game design too. Fallen Order seems much more derivative, even if for the better.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's looking good I just wish the lightsaber combat animations were better for Cal. I know he's untrained but he kinda flails in normal strikes (while finishers look pretty okay). One of the most appealing parts of Sekiro was how awesome the combat looked. Maybe whoever is driving in these previews just has a spammy DS approach to movement and combat and you can actually make it look far more controlled and calculated.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I have done EA Access since it was introduced on the XBox but it expires at the end of this month and I do think I am going to let it lapse. I realized I just do not use it enough on my XBox.

So with that said I grabbed the pre order for this game before it does end. 10% off digital is 10% off digital, and based on the previews I have now seen thanks to this thread I do think it is looking more than decent. I am not blown away by any means, but it looks pretty damn solid and I realize we have basically only seen the first 3 hours in all of the previews.

I also have to admit I am among what appears to be the minority in when I hear that it is a Souls like game that is actually off putting. I know people swear by those games but they are just not my cup of tea. However reading the comments about difficulty scaling and also knowing it is at the end of the day a Star Wars game so I feel it just has to be somewhat accessible to appeal to the broader SW audience, I took my chances on the fact it is only inspired by Souls like games and it is not fully a Souls like game. I definitely do not get the vibe from any of the Preview videos that it is anywhere near as challenging as Souls. Hopefully that is indeed the case.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017

For the worse, in my opinion, but the point is that it wasn't just a licensed title that was actually really good, it was really influential in game design too. Fallen Order seems much more derivative, even if for the better.

Fair point. I'll take the kind of derivative this game seems to be over whatever the hell Force Unleashed was(like a bad combo of DMC2 and Psi Ops or something).

Hell yeah.

Oct 31, 2017
Got bored and looked up the deluxe edition today and I noticed it's offering an orange saber color along with a couple campaign hilt designs. Does that mean those items won't be unlockable through gameplay? I like to get deluxe editions on occasion but I'm not sure those cosmetics are worth it to me.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

Hmm...I think Arkham Asylum borrowed elements from Metroidvania games as well. The combat however definitely became a staple for 3rd person action games although City is where that combat really started to shine imo

Jedi Fallen Order is shaping up to be very much like the Arkham games and Marvel's Spiderman in that its doing the SW license justice. It really is amazing to live in a time where license games get the proper treatment more often than they did last gen.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Got bored and looked up the deluxe edition today and I noticed it's offering an orange saber color along with a couple campaign hilt designs. Does that mean those items won't be unlockable through gameplay? I like to get deluxe editions on occasion but I'm not sure those cosmetics are worth it to me.

Yes they are. The preorder bonuses just give you access to whats already in the game like Marvel's Spiderman did.

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
Sollefteå, Sweden
Will the official* force mechanics be present in the game somhow or will it be the usual "level up and chose next power"?

*that you can do anything you put your mind to.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im unusually excited for the DF analysis for this game, RDR2 was the last major test that was a big deal for me (4k/30 on X was unbelievable, couldn't believe it ). Given MS have the marketing deal, i hope that means going all out on Xbox X.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Mostly the fact that previews almost always have inflated possitivity and the footage doesn't align with what is being said...like...at all. They're claiming there is depth to the combat and yet it looks like a poor man's souls game. They claim the world is open for exploration and yet we see corridors and linear paths. It could just be yet another case of a poor choice of footage to show off the game though *shrugs* but I certainly ain't taking a preview as some evidence of it being a great game.

I'd welcome a good star wars game though so maybe it's going to be some 90+ essential purchase. Hell, It's been a fucking age since we got one. If it is I'm happy to accept that i was wrong.
I agree with this, the gameplay looks boring to me. Don't see the hype at all

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't wait to see Vergil's Murcielago form that will briefly make her more powerful than the first sister.

I really should start learning the actual names.

Status
Not open for further replies.