• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm playing this on PC, at 60fps, on Jedi Grandmaster difficulty, and I've got to say: the lightsaber combat against bosses isn't making a great first impression.

To be clear, I wasn't expecting Monster Hunter levels of control precision and enemy animation, but the first optional miniboss you encounter on the first planet (I forget the name, sorry) is like a checklist of bad Souls-style enemy design:
  • Borderline unfair attack tracking? Check. This is especially evident when you use force slow and the enemy just spins on the spot to follow you in the middle of an attack.
  • Dodgy hitboxes? Check. A simple forward lunge attack should not hit when you're standing several feet to the side.
  • Magic animations? Check. Is the enemy facing away from you? Cool, time to get a hit in! Oh wait, he's going to instantly snap around and attack you, with no turning animation.
  • An XP reclaim system that stops the player moving but allows the enemy to move? Check. I feel like I must be missing something here, because this feels like such a simple oversight. When you first hit an enemy to get your dropped XP back, it triggers a slow-mo effect that slows you more than it slows the enemy. So the enemy can hit you before your dodge / parry inputs are allowed to register again.
I have no trouble with the parry windows (even on their shortest setting) and combat against regular enemies, but this feels very poor to play.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this on PC, at 60fps, on Jedi Grandmaster difficulty, and I've got to say: the lightsaber combat against bosses isn't making a great first impression.

To be clear, I wasn't expecting Monster Hunter levels of control precision and enemy animation, but the first optional miniboss you encounter on the first planet (I forget the name, sorry) is like a checklist of bad Souls-style enemy design:
  • Borderline unfair attack tracking? Check. This is especially evident when you use force slow and the enemy just spins on the spot to follow you in the middle of an attack.
  • Dodgy hitboxes? Check. A simple forward lunge attack should not hit when you're standing several feet to the side.
  • Magic animations? Check. Is the enemy facing away from you? Cool, time to get a hit in! Oh wait, he's going to instantly snap around and attack you, with no turning animation.
  • An XP reclaim system that stops the player moving but allows the enemy to move? Check. I feel like I must be missing something here, because this feels like such a simple oversight. When you first hit an enemy to get your dropped XP back, it triggers a slow-mo effect that slows you more than it slows the enemy. So the enemy can hit you before your dodge / parry inputs are allowed to register again.
I have no trouble with the parry windows (even on their shortest setting) and combat against regular enemies, but this feels very poor to play.

In all honesty - I'd drop the difficulty. I absolutely loved my time with the game, but I got to a point where Grandmaster was just really irritating me and didn't feel rewarding like a Souls game. I got over half way through the way through the game before I dropped but I enjoyed it so much more when I did.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
In all honesty - I'd drop the difficulty. I absolutely loved my time with the game, but I got to a point where Grandmaster was just really irritating me and didn't feel rewarding like a Souls game. I got over half way through the way through the game before I dropped but I enjoyed it so much more when I did.
Thanks. I was really hoping not to have to do that, because I like a challenge (especially in a Souls style game). But I like a fair challenge, and so far this doesn't seem like it's going to offer one.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I was really hoping not to have to do that, because I like a challenge (especially in a Souls style game). But I like a fair challenge, and so far this doesn't seem like it's going to offer one.

Jedi Master definitely provides a level of difficulty that is still challenging, just much less frustrating that Grandmaster in my opinion. I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me, but I expect it will help alleviate the points in your original post. Also, there are no trophies associated with difficulty so you won't be missing anything by dropping it down.

Oct 27, 2017
The "issue" with this games combat is interesting. At the moment I'm playing Sekiro and having a mixed (and largely frustrating) time with it, and have Fallen Order lined up as a Steam winter sale purchase. In my head this game has the basic enjoyment of the feel of a Souls game, without being so prohibitively difficult. Is that near enough right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The "issue" with this games combat is interesting. At the moment I'm playing Sekiro and having a mixed (and largely frustrating) time with it, and have Fallen Order lined up as a Steam winter sale purchase. In my head this game has the basic enjoyment of the feel of a Souls game, without being so prohibitively difficult. Is that near enough right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

It certainly has more flexibility in difficulty with actual levels. Playing on Jedi Knight (or whatever the third difficult was called) it was easier than any of the Souls games in my experience.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I finally caught up to where I lost my progress. This time I was at a much higher level so the 9th sister fight was much easier. I can't believe I missed so many force pickups and force\health upgrades the first time around. The standard difficulty is just difficult enough for me. I've only died twice since I started my second play through but I'm still enjoying the challenge.
One point of constructive criticism, for a game I'm playing for the story, it's a shame there wasn't more detail added to the relics and lore building items in the encyclopedia.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017

The only souls thing about it the Parry and the bonfires but it isn't as refined as the FROM games, it lacks the precision and weight of your weapons and attacks, Sekiro's main thing is the parry but you can progress without much trouble without parrying, it just takes a bit longer. The game's a bit too janky for combat about timing in my opinion.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
About 20 hours in. Just unlocked
the fortress destination
. Probably going to finish it tonight.

Been having these annoying stutters for some reason, especially during combat, making the combat feel very hit and miss, pun intended. Many times when I hit, block, or get hit, the game can stutter for a bit, sometimes throwing off the actions I was trying to do. I think I made the right call to play this on Jedi Knight difficulty, wouldn't have been fun otherwise with these performance issues.

Since I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars, the whole war and Empire and Jedi stuff has been the least interesting part, with the events on Dathomir being my favourite part of the story so far.

Kind of wish the game was focused exclusively on the dark side of the Force. I want to be a bad guy. :p

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
According to Digital Foundry, only slightly.
Minimally according to Digital Foundry. I played it on X and it still has a lot of performance hiccups but it's still completely playable (played on Grandmaster and it was fine).
Thank you both for the response. The reason I asked is because I have the gamr for pro but I'm getting an x for Christmas so I wanted to make the difference between the two versions wasn't too substantial.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The combat in this needs fine tuning. I parry a guy and counter, but while countering a second enemy kills me. Ridiculous. You need i-frames during a counter.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The combat in this needs fine tuning. I parry a guy and counter, but while countering a second enemy kills me. Ridiculous. You need i-frames during a counter.
Yeah I was gonna play on the hardest difficulty but settled for the second hardest after reading about how it has a ton of small little issues that add up.

Growing pains of Respawn making their first non-FPS I suppose

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love this game. I agree there are issues with boss fights (I ended up lowering the difficulty back to the default) but everything else has been stellar.

Also I can't get enough of this photo mode:

o44Wksc.png

l0naBzU.png

e5qqTyu.png

eqDwCu7.png

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I died in Zeffo and now need to take like a 45 second elevator down to where I was

Honestly think I would have preferred a standard auto save system tbh

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
About 20 hours in. Just unlocked
the fortress destination
. Probably going to finish it tonight.

Been having these annoying stutters for some reason, especially during combat, making the combat feel very hit and miss, pun intended. Many times when I hit, block, or get hit, the game can stutter for a bit, sometimes throwing off the actions I was trying to do. I think I made the right call to play this on Jedi Knight difficulty, wouldn't have been fun otherwise with these performance issues.

Since I'm not the biggest fan of Star Wars, the whole war and Empire and Jedi stuff has been the least interesting part, with the events on Dathomir being my favourite part of the story so far.

Kind of wish the game was focused exclusively on the dark side of the Force. I want to be a bad guy. :p

And done. Was a fun game. Now to some more depressing stuff with Life is Strange 2. :p

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

I felt the same as you initially (I assume this is the toad mini-boss?). I ended up dropping it to Jedi Master for a while. But I regretted it, because Jedi Master is way too easy and I was almost never in danger. I did all of Kasshyyyk on Jedi Master and it was a cakewalk. So I put it back on Grandmaster and it was much more satisfying.

My recommendation is that you stick with Grandmaster. You can return to those optional mini-bosses later when you have more Stim/HP/Force upgrades, they become much easier. Also, if you weren't aware for that mini-boss, if you keep exploring the planet a bit more, you can do a plunging attack from above, which takes out about half of its HP bar, making the fight much easier. Another tip is to use Force Slow when it sticks out its tongue -- you can also force that with Force Pull, once you have that power, but it's a bit later in the game -- and then attack the tongue, IIRC it does good damage or at the very least it won't be able to do that grab attack anymore, which is a OHKO on Grandmaster early on if it hits you.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I recommend sticking to Grandmaster as I regretted lowering it. Maybe you can lower it temporarily so you can get a few more upgrades and then switch it back later, at least you can switch back and forth rather freely. I definitely recommend Grandmaster for all the human/humanoid bosses, at least. They're pretty fun and satisfying fights on Grandmaster.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
^I bumped it up to jedi grandmaster because or this post and now I just died because I tried to roll off a small ledge that I needed to jump away from ;_;

I wish I could make the party window and enemy aggression the hardest but keep the damage at master values

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
^I bumped it up to jedi grandmaster because or this post and now I just died because I tried to roll off a small ledge that I needed to jump away from ;_;

I wish I could make the party window and enemy aggression the hardest but keep the damage at master values
lol >_<
Yeah, I wish there was a setting between Jedi Master and Grandmaster with exactly those values, too. Or at the very least maybe slightly higher damage than Jedi Master, but not as brutal as Grandmaster. That said, when you get more HP and stim upgrades down the road, the higher damage isn't as big of a deal as it is early on when everything one-or-two-shots you.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I picked this up for $25 from Redbox today and my initial impressions are mixed at best. I'm getting pretty crappy performance on PS4 Pro even on a 1080p TV and with performance mode on. Toggling the other visual things on and off doesn't seem to help.

Load times (stock hard drive) are pretty terrible. Oggdo Bogdo has been wrecking my shit and I timed it at 53 seconds to load after hitting the button to respawn. I gave up and did other things and I'm trying again now that I have stims and can get above him and start the fight with a drop down attack which does a ton of damage, but I'm still struggling. I don't really mind it being hard as it's an early optional fight, but the long loads are a kick in the taint and making me salty.

Edit: Finally got him down.

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The bounty hunters are still not appearing in my game, thus preventing me from finishing the 100%...

like... wtf Respawn? I was hoping the latest patch would address it but I guess they have other priorities, gamebreaking stuff like "General stability improvements.", geee, thanks!

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much what I feel too and Sekiro is my GOTY even though I didn't even finish it. I find it immensely more fun with basic PC mod to not punish me when dying. Then Jedi comes along and really captures my attention. The scaleable difficulty + star wars themes + accessibility are really what shine here. You can make it as challenging or as easy as you want it. I appreciate that my buddies with far less time to game can lower the difficulty and cruise through at the same speed as me on the higher setting.

Really well done. Respawn does single player so well.

I should also add it plays near perfectly on PC. No nagging issues.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
After beating the game twice on XB1X I decided to pick it up from redbox for PS4 Pro. Holy shit does this game run worse. I'm shocked at how much worse. Stutters and frame drops in combat that have had me get killed multiple times. Also the controls feel like there's more lag somehow, but maybe that is due to the frame drops. I'm still going to go through it but I'm glad my first time through was on X.

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else get a headache from this game? I don't normally get them from third person games but something about this game seems to give me motion sickness. Is it maybe the momentum of the movement or something?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
If this ever gets a live action adaptation (which it shouldn't but just in case) Danny Devito needs to play Greez

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Respawn if the typo/autocorrect was throwing you off.

Otherwise, yep. 53 seconds to respawn, not counting the 10 seconds or whatever between dying and being able to press x to respawn.
Hah nah I got the autocorrect, I was responding to the 53 seconds. That's insane. It's only a few seconds on my SSD.

:(

Maso

Sep 6, 2018
Anyone else get a headache from this game? I don't normally get them from third person games but something about this game seems to give me motion sickness. Is it maybe the momentum of the movement or something?
Have you tried turning off stuff in the Visuals tab? I don't get motion sickness from games, but things like Camera Shake and Chromatic Aberration still really bother my eyes in just about any game.

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried turning off stuff in the Visuals tab? I don't get motion sickness from games, but things like Camera Shake and Chromatic Aberration still really bother my eyes in just about any game.

Hm I'll try that next time I play, I really want to enjoy the game but the headaches are really killing my enjoyment :(

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This game has thrown 3 unwinnable boss fights at me already...lol

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I felt the same as you initially (I assume this is the toad mini-boss?). I ended up dropping it to Jedi Master for a while. But I regretted it, because Jedi Master is way too easy and I was almost never in danger. I did all of Kasshyyyk on Jedi Master and it was a cakewalk. So I put it back on Grandmaster and it was much more satisfying.

My recommendation is that you stick with Grandmaster. You can return to those optional mini-bosses later when you have more Stim/HP/Force upgrades, they become much easier. Also, if you weren't aware for that mini-boss, if you keep exploring the planet a bit more, you can do a plunging attack from above, which takes out about half of its HP bar, making the fight much easier. Another tip is to use Force Slow when it sticks out its tongue -- you can also force that with Force Pull, once you have that power, but it's a bit later in the game -- and then attack the tongue, IIRC it does good damage or at the very least it won't be able to do that grab attack anymore, which is a OHKO on Grandmaster early on if it hits you.

Ultimately it's up to you, but I recommend sticking to Grandmaster as I regretted lowering it. Maybe you can lower it temporarily so you can get a few more upgrades and then switch it back later, at least you can switch back and forth rather freely. I definitely recommend Grandmaster for all the human/humanoid bosses, at least. They're pretty fun and satisfying fights on Grandmaster.
Thanks for this. It is indeed the toad mini-boss I'm talking about.

I didn't get chance to return to the game last night, but I'm going to try and persevere on Grandmaster this evening. Right now every single one of its attacks is a one-hit kill, but I've come close to downing it once or twice (without any of those extra abilities) so I'm pretty confident I can nail it. It's frustrating to die to bad enemy / combat design, but I don't want to be too hasty and judge the entire game based on this initial battle; I very nearly did that when I kept banging my head against the graveyard skeletons you can encounter by going the wrong way at the start of Dark Souls, and I'm glad I didn't!

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
okay I need help, just got this on the Epic store, and oh man is it choppy. My PC runs everything on Ultra settings and no problems, but man this week alone Gears 5 and now this is running like p00p. I need help plzz

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Just got this yesterday and completely to my surprise, I LOVE IT! I had no interest in getting this at all a month ago but just bought it on a whim yesterday since I was in a mood for some Star Wars.

Although the light loading stutters are annoying, it generally runs great on my system (6700K, 2070 Super). With DX11, it's not making full use of my CPU and my CPU is bottlenecking hard at 1080p, so I just set it to 4K DSR with dynamic resolution which did the trick! Now I'm at full (100%) GPU usage so at least that moved the bottleneck back to the GPU side. Game looks fantastic to boot. Usually hanging around 90fps, with some drops to around 65-75 in the more CPU limited areas. Not great, but not bad. I'd wager that the dynamic resolution is probably hovering around 1440p-1800p mostly.

The game is just really fun so far. Just finished Bogano and Dathomir. Sure, it doesn't feel quite as refined or as fair as Dark Souls, but it's still quite good. Parrying projectiles is really satisfying. I think I'm going to up the difficulty though since the parry window feels a tad too forgiving on the normal difficulty setting. One feature I'm really loving is the map. It's making it so much easier to come back to the game and to figure out where I need to go and which locations I can't currently access due to lack of powers. This is like an ultra-accessible Metroidvania. I hope more games pick up their map system. The game also feels surprisingly great to play with mouse & keyboard. I don't even want to bother using my controller since I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage at all. That was a really nice surprise.

okay I need help, just got this on the Epic store, and oh man is it choppy. My PC runs everything on Ultra settings and no problems, but man this week alone Gears 5 and now this is running like p00p. I need help plzz

We need more info. What hardware are you running?

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Just got this yesterday and completely to my surprise, I LOVE IT! I had no interest in getting this at all a month ago but just bought it on a whim yesterday since I was in a mood for some Star Wars.

Although the light loading stutters are annoying, it generally runs great on my system (6700K, 2070 Super). With DX11, it's not making full use of my CPU and my CPU is bottlenecking hard at 1080p, so I just set it to 4K DSR with dynamic resolution which did the trick! Now I'm at full (100%) GPU usage so at least that moved the bottleneck back to the GPU side. Game looks fantastic to boot. Usually hanging around 90fps, with some drops to around 65-75 in the more CPU limited areas. Not great, but not bad. I'd wager that the dynamic resolution is probably hovering around 1440p-1800p mostly.

The game is just really fun so far. Just finished Bogano and Dathomir. Sure, it doesn't feel quite as refined or as fair as Dark Souls, but it's still quite good. Parrying projectiles is really satisfying. I think I'm going to up the difficulty though since the parry window feels a tad too forgiving on the normal difficulty setting. One feature I'm really loving is the map. It's making it so much easier to come back to the game and to figure out where I need to go and which locations I can't currently access due to lack of powers. This is like an ultra-accessible Metroidvania. I hope more games pick up their map system. The game also feels surprisingly great to play with mouse & keyboard. I don't even want to bother using my controller since I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage at all. That was a really nice surprise.

We need more info. What hardware are you running?
I7 8086k
1080ti
16gb ram 3200 mhz

Oct 27, 2017
Against my earlier judgement lol, I decided after all to go for the platinum and im almost there. I'll repeat my earlier comments though, which is that this game DESPERATELY needed a fast travel system, at least for post game collectible cleanup. So much running around back and forth, back and forth....Kashyyk especially. Sucks going way deep into a level to get the collectibles for that section, and then have to run allllllllllllll the way back to the ship. Should've at least at the bare minimum had a way to warp back to your ship.