Praglik

Nov 3, 2017
SH
That is what I am thinking...Respawn just did not have enough experience with Unreal. When you look at something like Gears 5 running near 4k at 60fps and then you look at this game running 1440p, inconsistent 30fps with bad loading, texture pop in etc. you know something went wrong. Still a fun game and loving it, but it needs some major optimizations. Even the PC version suffers issues and that is with massive rigs. Game is just inconsistent on all platforms.
Reading their GDC talk about engine optimization for Gears 5, they really spent most of their engineering budget to get those 60fps on most versions of the game. They reused tons of tools and shaders from Gears 4. Respawn started from literally zero on this engine, so it's still quite impressive they reached this level of quality vs. performances.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Reading their GDC talk about engine optimization for Gears 5, they really spent most of their engineering budget to get those 60fps on most versions of the game. They reused tons of tools and shaders from Gears 4. Respawn started from literally zero on this engine, so it's still quite impressive they reached this level of quality vs. performances.
I think they did a great job...but I don't think expecting/wanting it, at least on "X" for it to run smooth at 1440p. Coalition had a lot more experience plus they used a lot of stuff from Gears 4 as you mentioned, but with the horse power of the "X" even with it having that shitty CPU, at minimum it should be running smooth at 1440p. Hopefully Respawn can get the game smoother with some performance patches.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Good God. The performance in the areas right before and after the
first real Second Sister boss
is utter donkey shit for me. Christ, Respawn.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
E: you might need to quote me, I don't know how to spoiler on mobile.

I just hate that you have to go fight like three minions before him. I couldn't scrape by without losing some health and getting peeved

Then just slow it down on the boss. Parrying is key. I screwed up the first time and got wrecked then slowed down my approach and was more reactive and it was so much easier.

Also if you
Good luck!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I'm actually impressed by the amount of convos they wrote for the game with your squadmates. Although, based on some of them, it seems like they had plans for the squadmates to doing things other than standing in an idle pose.

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
WHY DID THE GAME SPAWN THREE FUCKING FROGS?!!!

Edit:Ok so that was a genuine encounter. It's like "finally I can access this area." and the designers said, "let's put three of those frogs at this one spot."

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Are you on console? Difficulty? I feel like parrying is easy (at least on Jedi Master) on PC with a solid framerate. Just curious if the lower framerate makes it harder. Probably does, and they should do something about that, even if it's making parrying easier to compensate.
Played on PS4 Pro with frame rate unlocked. Wonder if the bad framepacing and variable 30-50 fps made it more difficult than it should be

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
You jump down, a cutscene plays, then you can pull the panel off and get BD-1 to slice.
If that's what you did, try completely closing/restarting the game a few times and see if it works.

If not, I read a single post that said loading/starting a different save (may have to start a new game though the intro, I know that's a PITA), and resting at a meditation point, then going back to the main save fixed it. I have no idea if that works, don't want to waste your time, but it's just something I found when searching.
Appreciate it. Had to do the latter and start up a new game and everything but I was able to select it. Wouldn't have thought to do that myself to be honest which is a lil annoying but just glad u can play again.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a spoiler topic ? I can't find one in search because

holy fucking shit Darth Vader out of nowhere. Almost as good as his Rogue One cameo.

15djsy.png

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
95% of my deaths in this game are to bullshit platforming fails. The combat has some jank to it, and the dark souls like aspects could have been done better, but still what I'm dying the most too is just random pit falls, bad jumps, floaty mechanics. The slide shit.... who play tested this crap and said this is fun, lets constantly use it in every level!

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
finished this last night, awesome game, with some incredible moments. i would compare it to HZD where a team is trying something new and they succeed, but maybe borrowed "too" many ideas along the way. and that's totally undestandable, to get a solid product out in a reasonable amount of time. all in for a sequel that hopefully finds more of its own identity, bit more freedom, and less messy design language.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
I'm really struggling on
Taron Malicos
making me not wanting to finish the game now :(
what difficulty are you playing on? i finished the game on normal and beat him first try. All i did was that one move that combos in and out of single and dual blade. i died more on the platforming than anything else in this game.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Are you on console? Difficulty? I feel like parrying is easy (at least on Jedi Master) on PC with a solid framerate. Just curious if the lower framerate makes it harder. Probably does, and they should do something about that, even if it's making parrying easier to compensate.

ah, I wonder if that's why I've been hating the combat. Frame rate based would definitely make sense.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Loving the game just not a fan of the bonfire system, specifically reviving dead enemies. I can buy it in a Souls because it's a weird ass fantasy but in Star Wars it don't make sense.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game overall. Starts of slow but as you gain more powers it just gets better and better.

Performance was terrible in parts (kashykk mainly) but overall manageable.

Loved the combat, especially once you have all the abilities .

Also really Loved that last level / ending.

Really hope we get some dlc , new game plus or some arenas.

Lets hope respawns gets to make more starwars.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
If I wanted to use my PS4 controller, do I need a 3rd party app? I bought it through Steam.

TBH I'm not entirely sure, I played on PS4. I've always used my Xbox controller for PC games because I know I had trouble with DS4s in the past and had to use 3rd party software. I think you can use the DS4 directly now though with proper updates? Sorry I don't have better info :(.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
95% of my deaths in this game are to bullshit platforming fails. The combat has some jank to it, and the dark souls like aspects could have been done better, but still what I'm dying the most too is just random pit falls, bad jumps, floaty mechanics. The slide shit.... who play tested this crap and said this is fun, lets constantly use it in every level!

but....... you don't die from falls.....unless you have a sliver of health.

Oct 25, 2017
I finally started this game and now I am at the 2nd fight with second sister. The first real fight with her.
And I just can't win. I'm not even playing on hard, I think I'm playing on the normal equivalent.
Everything up to now has gone okay but she is slaughtering me. Sudden steep difficulty jump.
I am bad at videogames I guess. I might have to switch to easy. I'll sleep on it.

As a sidenote the game is kind of janky but from reading a few pages it looks like that experience is not unique.

Last edited:

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe halfway through Dathomir? Keep kicking myself for forgetting to use the freeze/pull combo on enemies that was heavily featured in the demo footage.

Also, is anyone else having issues executing the precision evade and evasive kick? The former effect never seems to activate, and the latter always results in a saber swing rather than the kick.

but....... you don't die from falls.....unless you have a sliver of health.
Not the OP, but it's still incredibly annoying to continuously deal with. There's little consistent control to many of those sections, and it's an unnecessary frustration that could have used much more time in the oven to tighten up.

Most other bits aren't that bad outside of the slides, but the traversal of the game is still shoddy in its execution.

Last edited:

Naru

May 11, 2019
Thank god for PC gaming and people making fixes for games. I found a FoV tool and now I no longer get sick playing this game. It also looks way better with a higher FoV.

Nov 8, 2017
I finished it. Not bad but so many minor irritations with it. One of the things I hated most consistently was how rare it was to interrupt enemies (particularly bosses, who almost never could have their attacks interrupted) versus how anytime someone sneezed on you it cancelled whatever you were doing and put you into a recovery animation.

The final boss fight also had this really annoying thing where the shockwave attack looked almost indistinguishable from another attack, and even when you jumped 50% of the time it still hit you because it sort of came a few feet up off the ground as it went past you. Just the worst.

How do you stop his floating rocks? I can't even dodge em lol

I did manage to dodge most of them. But it was slightly tricky.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
It's an internet message board where we're all a part of the conversation and I don't like seeing people treat others poorly. So I'll feel free to interject when I see stuff like that happening. Anyways, good luck with the honesty.

It still isn't your own damn business and I'm not doing anything wrong nor treating said poster poorly. On top of that I can't stand people like you telling others to put some more consideration or whatever that you deem acceptable, when it removes the impression, meaning and truth of what I do perceive

You can't handle being direct, that's on you

You are not a part of this conversation no matter how much you try justifying that intervention of your. I don't need luck either, honesty is just that : honest. I'm not insulting or belittling anybody

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
So just going to type it here as after I finished it last night I kept telling my wife but alas she doesn't really care about games. As a non star wars person after finally beating trilla having god damn vader appear out of no where making me feeling fucking helpless was really amazing. Nothing else to add really but yea that really was one of the best individual moments I've had in a game for a long old time.

I do wish they had gotten an extra 6 months to clean up some of the technical stuff but hopefully it's sold well enough for a sequel or DLC where I get to stare at merrin more