• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I can't quite figure out what but something about this looks really off. Like the characters look weird, the animations like the grappling at the start where Chewie and the others just fly off are super weird, the main character looks like he belongs in some teen drama or something, the gameplay looks too smooth to be real, but kind of bad at the same time..

The video says alpha footage at the start of the trailer, i don't know how big of a difference there is between alpha and release but i'd assume that it will be more polished.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. It kinda looks more or less Force Unleashed-ey. Kinda was expecting more from Respawn.

Will play it anyways eventually but for not not really impressed.
Also, I assume they are aiming to be T rating which fucking sucks.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
They actually had hands on time with the game... How about go read the article?
Because none of that undermines how bad the combat looks and how generic a lot of the rest of it is

And you'll have to excuse me from giving a solid response when you dodge the core point of my post. Which is that watching isn't the same as playing. This has been shown time and time again.
The core of your post doesn't do anything to rebut what I'm seeing because enemy variety and encounters doesn't fix poor animations and slow combat that looks derivative of games far better.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I liked most of what I saw because it looks like an Uncharted-like game, but:
1) There's something off about the graphics. It looks like textures and lightning aren't quite there
2) The combat seems to be only fun and challenging when he's fighting the "anti-Jedi" guy. The Stormtroopers are one-hit kill enemies that apparently can't even hurt you, so I can see this becoming boring in 5 minutes.

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
goof45jdn.png

The character rendering leaves something to be desired. Ian has never looked this goofy on Shameless!
It's an alpha build

Venuslulu

Oct 28, 2017
Looks fun to me from the demo. Souls combat but a bit easier, which was GOW 2018 bread and butter anyways.

It doesn't have to reinvent anything, just be a good star wars story. Graphics were somewhat underwhelming, but I'm just going to take a good gameplay and compelling narrative because Star Wars has been missing that for awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
That was a total snooze. If the game isn't as generic as it looks here, they sure picked the perfect way to deflate hype for their game.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The only thing I thought looked a little off was the double jumping. I get that we have the force, but something about seeing a realistic character suddenly get the boost without some sort of other visual indicator (unless I missed it) looked weird.

Minor nitpick regardless.

thelostone

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
I liked what I saw because it looks to be a fun Uncharted-like game, but:
1) There's something off about the graphics. It looks like textures and lightning aren't quite there
2) The combat seems to be only really fun and challenging when he's fighting the "anti-Jedi" guy. The Stormtroopers are one-hit kill enemies that apparently can't even hurt you, so I can see this becoming boring in 5 minutes.
Thank you cpt. Obvious

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The video says alpha footage at the start of the trailer, i don't know how big of a difference there is between alpha and release but i'd assume that it will be more polished.

It releases in 5 months, which means that they would have to submit the launch game for certification etc. 2-3 months from now at the latest to Sony, MS etc.

So yeah, major changes would be a surprise (unless this demo is from an extremely old build).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
After reading the Game Informer info, it looks like this is definitely a case of don't judge a book by it's cover, or in this case, a game by a vertical slice demo.

That's completely possible, though if true they probably should have picked a better slice of the game to show off. First impressions and all. I'm guessing many gamers potentially see more value in actually seeing gameplay first hand, versus simply reading about it.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
I like it. I don't know where people got their expectations. It's a Jedi game where you can Jedi the fuck out of being a Jedi, and that's fine by me.

If the gameplay is Sekiro-lite then I'm a happy chappy.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I thought looked a little off was the double jumping. I get that we have the force, but something about seeing a realistic character suddenly get the boost without some sort of other visual indicator (unless I missed it) looked weird.

Minor nitpick regardless.
Reminded me of Lara Croft jumping in the newer games. It's there to serve as a gameplay interaction with the world, which is fine, but it looks WAY off because the physics is basically nonexistent.

Oct 27, 2017
New info
  1. You can upgrade and customize your lightsaber with different parts and colors
  2. Levels are quite large
  3. Lightsaber combat is silk smooth and responsive and it's close to Sekiro
  4. Vehicles with guns confirmed
  5. Difficulty settings and there was plenty of challenge in the GI demo, harder than the EA Play demo
  6. There are combos but enemies are tough
  7. There's a ship-HUB, you use this to travel to various planets
  8. Many path locked behind gadgets and abilities to unlock
  9. Good variety in locations in old and brand new planets
  10. There's Photo mode
  11. Player customization and Skill tree with various upgrade circles
That sound really cool.

Certainly way better than what was shown. Will keep an eye for it.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Why pick on Star Wars of all things? Call of Duty and Battlefield have you realistically killing realistic enemies from real countries with real politics involved, comparing that to over the top evil space nazi's really makes the violence and ethics in Star Wars seem trivial and almost cartoonish in comparison.

Besides, we clearly jumped into a story mission here, there's going to be context behind what you're doing and why, i'm sure the empire didn't politely negotiate their positioning in this area we're in.

This is not to excuse CoD/Battlefield either, but those games don't exactly hold up their protagonists as paragons of virtue; just normal soldiers trying to survive. The whole point of Jedi as overpowered magic samurai is that they shouldn't need to use lethal force to subdue the rank-and-file that don't represent a real threat. The Empire has never been represented as a monolithic entity comprised of wholly evil individuals that deserve to die down to a man--just look at Finn from the new trilogy as an example of Stormtroopers who don't just buy into the Empire's morality and agenda. Would it have been right for a Jedi to slaughter him before he had his revelation?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
On a side note, throughout the years I've seen you post countless PC screenshots you've captured yourself in numerous debates (eg to defend multiplatform games, Assassin's Creed etc), but I've not seen you do the same thing for PS4 exclusives that you seem to be routinely debating or berating
do you actually own a PS4 and have you ever actually played UC4?
This is embarrassing. Stop.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Looks like a game I'll have fun going through once. If the GI article is right I will enjoy it even more if their is exploration. The combat is what I expected from a cinematic Star Wars game. People expecting DMC combat are just fooling themselves. I just hope it's not as clunky as Force Unleashed and not too scripted. GOW had a good balance of depth and cinematic combat. If it's close to that, I'll be happy.
My only issue right now is the main character. The couldn't have chosen a more generic one. I hope he is well written at least. I hope this game is good and succeeds. We need more Star Wars games that just rely on the Star Wars name like Battlefront games.

Edit: Oh the double jump? Why is that even there?

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm disappointed that this is the demo they showed after reading that GI article. I didn't think this looked bad, really, just kinda bland. Everything interesting I guess we'll see later?

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Not sure about that gameplay, sympathetic protagonist and cool time period though. My general feel is that its a game that could use a few more years of production.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they script unfinished features for a demo?

Has your fanboyism literally stooped to the point where you're asking if I own a PS4 when i've literally posted videos of myself playing UC4. That's quite frankly very embarrassing and cringeworthy. People can own more than one platform. CRAZY I KNOW.

Btw, i've literally pointed out segments in Ubi's demos that were scripted. Including posting gifs. Calm the hell down and kindly never accuse me of not owning a platform ever again. 👏

You didn't actually answer my questions.

What is your source that the demo was scripted? How have you concluded those particular animations were unfinished and scripted, even though they appear in the final game exactly the same? And why are you using other devs faking on stage demo's as evidence or proof that ND did the same?

Did you even read the article I posted? You know, the one where Starley discusses the dread of having Nate stand around doing nothing for 30 seconds on stage at their E3 conference, whilst they were trying to sort out his controller?

And I didn't accuse you of not owning the platform, I simply asked if you did or didn't, because your ignorance on many of the contextual mechanics in these games over the years gives the impression you haven't played them. Usually the people debating with you about these things are people who respond letting you know certain animations are in the game, and conveniently they're generally animations you yourself haven't seen or don't know about, even when GIF examples are presented to you.

Anyway, moving on...

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
What is this silly false dichotomy? Do you sincerely think it's impossible for the final game to have the things described in the Game Informer article because the 15 minutes showed didn't highlight all of those things?

If I show 15 minutes of a girl slaying hollows in the grey walls of the Undead Burg in Dark Souls with ease with a longsword and shield, and then I say that the game will feature a large interconnected world, great weapon variety and magic abilities, majestically monstrous bosses, epic locales, creepy mazes you'll get lost in full of tough as nails enemies... am I lying? No, I just showed a small sample of the game to demo some basic aspects of the combat and traversal abilities.

I mean perhaps the article is lying and the entire game will nothing but small corridors, and then we can be outraged at the obvious lies peddled by the devs and Game Informer... but come on.

Pretty much. I think some people are expecting too much from a streamlined vertical slice demo. For me it's all about the implications. The holomap alone implicates more explorable spaces, or why else would it exist? The combination of grappling, wallrunning and climbing suggests that traversal sections could get pretty intricate. The posture meter on the protagonist and certain enemies suggests that melee combat against them could play out as an intense bout of tug of war (at least on higher difficulties). That they showcased hostile wildlife instead of just imperial goons hints at the enemy variety being pretty wide, as well.

Game looks pretty decent to me overall. My mind wasn't really blown or anything, but at absolute worst I'm expecting this to be a good, if not great classic style 3D action adventure game with fun combat and variety in its pacing between combat, traversal and puzzle solving. It harkens back to the classic God of Wars and Jedi Outcast type games that we don't really see too much of anymore.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
original premise had me more hyped, but this still looks pretty good barring a surprise prince of persia reveal from ubisoft might be the better parkour fight stuff game this season.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I personally am very glad this game is not like The Force Unleashed games. Also, damn the music seems to be super good in this game.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
So, you want more style over substance. Ok. Can't please everyone.

How in the hell did you reach this conclusion. But if we're gonna take it there, if the "substance" is shit a bunch of other games have already done before, then no keep it. Even reading the game informer notes, it sounds like it's structured extremely similar to God of War or the last two Tomb Raider games. Nothing about what they've shown or are saying about the game sounds remotely unique or interesting.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay looks solid to me. Question now is if it has enough variety to carry a full game. Graphics are kinda weak but I was already expecting that after the reveal trailer.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's completely possible, though if true they probably should have picked a better slice of the game to show off. First impressions and all. I'm guessing audiences potentially see more value in actually seeing gameplay first hand, versus simply reading about it.

Sure maybe they should have shown off more but maybe they are saving that but people also shouldn't be so quick to judge it either, especially when we see this all the time and should know one early trailer doesn't always represent the full finished game.

I thought the demo looked good, not the best thing ever but still good and I know it's only a small part of the game and they will have more exciting things to show later on. The GI article certainly suggests there's a lot more to it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
New info
  1. You can upgrade and customize your lightsaber with different parts and colors
  2. Levels are quite large
  3. Lightsaber combat is silk smooth and responsive and it's close to Sekiro
  4. Vehicles with guns confirmed
  5. Difficulty settings and there was plenty of challenge in the GI demo, harder than the EA Play demo
  6. There are combos but enemies are tough
  7. There's a ship-HUB, you use this to travel to various planets
  8. Many path locked behind gadgets and abilities to unlock
  9. Good variety in locations in old and brand new planets
  10. There's Photo mode
  11. Player customization and Skill tree with various upgrade circles
Sekiro is hardly an example of responsive combat lol. Looooong startup animations, attack queuing that ignores panic inputs so you can't dodge or block anything at the last moment, heavy hit stun and block stun...

Sekiro is fast but very sluggish at the same time, since you can cancel barely any of your own animations. It's a bizarre feeling that I would never wish to have in a game with lightsaber combat.

The deflection system, sure. The controls and lack of cancels? Hell no.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a game I'll have fun going through once. If the GI article is right I will enjoy it even more if their is exploration. The combat is what I expected from a cinematic Star Wars game. People expecting DMC combat are just fooling themselves. I just hope it's not as clunky as Force Unleashed and not too scripted. GOW had a good balance of depth and cinematic combat. If it's close to that, I'll be happy.
My only issue right now is the main character. The couldn't have chosen a more generic one. I hope he is well written at least. I hope this game is good and succeeds. We need more Star Wars games that just rely on the Star Wars name like Battlefront games.

Edit: Oh the double jump? Why is that even there?

Double Jump makes every game better!