• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SW Metascore

• > 95

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • 90-94

Votes: 139 10.8%
  • 85-89

Votes: 725 56.6%
  • 80-84

Votes: 333 26.0%
  • 75-79

Votes: 68 5.3%
  • < 70

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • < 60

Votes: 4 0.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read the most recent previews? Because literally none of this looks to be a problem according to those who have played it.
The first 2 are potential pitfalls, but there does seem to be variety in enemy types and I'm doubtful well-done lightsaber gameplay will be get boring particularly as you add force powers, and some who've played say it keeps you on your toes, single/simple enemies can kill you. Platforming is a bit more worrisome because at least 1 previewer and the reddit user listed it as minor complaints, although its supposedly forgiving if you fall. The last one, short/small I guess depends on whether you believe the reddit user, but most previewers said that it sure felt like there was a lot more depth and length than they were expecting. They spent 3 hours on the same planet and did not 100% it or unlock all paths.
I feel like combat variety stuff you can't really get a sense for in a short preview. What may seem fine at first few hours could get boring after 10-12 hours. And we haven't seen any other play style for the lightsaber and how it might change the gameplay so there is that.

To be clear, I want this to do well. Like if it does 90+ I would be beyond happy. I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
In the other thread I said 85-89 but I've changed my mind. I think 90-94 is where it's gonna be. If I'm wrong I look foolish oh well. But if I'm right it will feel so good to know we have a truly great star wars game.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Lower 80's. But honestly maybe 85 ... the fact review embargo is so close to release is telling

I don't really think we know whether its telling of anything, Star Wars sales are probably more driven out of marketing than reviews or holding on to pre-order sales (and by not releasing reviews early, they also lose pre-order sales from some). Plus we know that the developer has been holding back and secretive on story/spoilers and on some enemies and possibly some game mechanics that actually could help sales if shown.

It was speculated recently that the game was going to be delayed or was bad because they weren't showing it to anyone and then they did a 3 hour preview event that showed a better product than anyone was expecting. It could be a red flag, it could be marketing strategy, it could be arbitrary/logistical, or to try and prevent spoilers. Guess we'll all know Thursday.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like combat variety stuff you can't really get a sense for in a short preview. What may seem fine at first few hours could get boring after 10-12 hours. And we haven't seen any other play style for the lightsaber and how it might change the gameplay so there is that.

To be clear, I want this to do well. Like if it does 90+ I would be beyond happy. I'm just keeping my expectations in check.

Yeah, don't disagree with you, just saying there are some things they've shown in the b-reel footage with droids, big and small monsters of different types, ranged/melee storm troopers, AT-STs, various miniboss types that makes me think combat variety may be pretty good, plus they haven't shown all the force types you learn. And the fact that platforming and zelda-style puzzle solving are also mixed in to create variety in gameplay.

I'm more concerned about the platforming being finnicky or annoying on your list of potential pitfalls. That e3 footage where you climb the AT-AT looked to me more forgiving like Uncharted or God of War, but some of the wall running and grabbing ropes, etc. looks like it could leading to annoying falls if not executed well.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

sekiro has 1 weapon and a bunch of side weapons that are practically useless and still the combat never got old

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, don't disagree with you, just saying there are some things they've shown in the b-reel footage with droids, big and small monsters of different types, ranged/melee storm troopers, AT-STs, various miniboss types that makes me think combat variety may be pretty good, plus they haven't shown all the force types you learn. And the fact that platforming and zelda-style puzzle solving are also mixed in to create variety in gameplay.

I'm more concerned about the platforming being finnicky or annoying on your list of potential pitfalls. That e3 footage where you climb the AT-AT looked to me more forgiving like Uncharted or God of War, but some of the wall running and grabbing ropes, etc. looks like it could leading to annoying falls if not executed well.
Yeah, hopefully they have some more tricks up their sleeves when it comes to combat and overall gameplay.

For platforming, I remember Greg from Kinda Funny saying that he died 6 times in one of those slippery locations and was getting frustrated with the game, so that's a bit a worrisome.
sekiro has 1 weapon and a bunch of side weapons that are practically useless and still the combat never got old
Sekiro having so little combat variety is one of the reasons I'll never replay it tbh.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i think low 80s, meta scores have trended lower and lower. i worry the story may be bad and that there isn't much to do. I hope it's great though, currently on the fence about picking it up at launch.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Just got interested in this like last week but I think it looks pretty cool and fun...I'll make a vague prediction based on maybe two short videos I've seen:

PS: I hope this doesn't turn out to be AAA Cliche Central aka tons of slow-walking-exposition segments and shit like that. The combat and world itself looks fun and stylish but currently totally burnt out on that formula.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting high 80's, with a slight chance of maybe a 90-91. Those previews were really solid and it seems like there's a decent amount to this game we haven't seen ourselves yet. I'm really excited for it though. It seems right up my alley in terms of the exploration and unlocking powers and whatnot. Metroidvania, arkham asylum like.

Kinda Funny's impressions really got me excited.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I will be a pessimist and say 78-79. Story won't be firing on all cylinders, side stuff might be too boring, combat might get stale. Solid "pretty good"

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
80-something like these games always get.
i will give it a try but i'd be surprised if it isn't a washed out copy of something better.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm feeling an 88. Getting over 90 metacritic is really difficult nowadays unless you get a free pass like Rockstar does where the critics ignore the games faults.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I have a very good feeling about this. I would be surprised if it was lower than 85 so I voted 85-89.

hoping for a surprise hit of 89 or higher. 93+ would be my dream

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

Would be higher but will be held back by stupid decisions mandated by Disney/Lucasfilm that Respawn had no control over.

Well we know 1 already, no dismemberment of humanoid (besides droids) enemies. Apparently we are allowed to put a hole in their chest when they fall out of an AT-ST with no armor, but can't cut their arms off.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'm more worried that the game will be too long for its own good and not have enough enemy variety, and have pacing problems. It seems like a really meaty game.

Otherwise, seems like quality stuff.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
I'm with others that said this game needs more buzz - and there is no better buzz than amazing reviews - so why such a late embargo?

Maybe EA is thinking the game will hit its second wind as we get closer to Rise of Skywalker on December 20th, but still....get the strong, positive word out early if the product is great, I say. ....So I'm a bit scared.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting until the day before kinda sucks but I guess that is more LucasFilm than EA. I imagine this is going to get glowing praise after all the early word and preview videos. It could use the cute hype from a string of great reviews. Neither this or The Mandalorian need to have as much secrecy around them as LucasFilm thinks.. but okay, what is a few more days? I'm thinking 87ish.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The embargo date is unacceptable. I don't care if the game or not. Buyers should be informed well before their copies ship. Also lifting the embargo after the game officially launches should be illegal.
There is no embargo after the game launches. The moment it is available to general public the NDA is worthless. I could claim that I bought the game, speedran through it and put up my review.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Game seems extremely, extremely safe in terms of design and concept, so I'm guessing mid-80s, probably around 85.