• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I liked that I was resigned to not bother with season 2. Time stuff and Q...double damn.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
Damn. I liked that I was resigned to not bother with season. Time stuff and Q...double damn.
Yeah, and the teaser and the interview suggests that we might be taking a trip though Picard's life, such as his time on the Stargazer and maybe his time on the Enterprise as well.

At the very least, the presence of Q suggests that there's going to be some fun happening.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I still can't believe how they're going to get around the fact that Picard is ...

An old man robot. That's how Season 1 ends remember? Actual Picard is dead so they download his conciousness into a Data-style android that's has Picards memory and personality. An old man robot
His body died, but the story seemed to imply his consciousness never did. The technology seems to be perfected enough that it was more of a body transfer. So then we're just talking technicalities, just like in the way I suppose we could make the argument that people that get transported "die" as well, but I'd rather believe in the Star Trek Universe human consciousness is easily transferable with their technology.

metal

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
I'm excited to see Q again but I don't really have much hope for this after the first season.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda feel like the character of Picard is best in an ensemble, rather than the main protagonist. He shines when he's the smartest being in the room. There are plenty of characters that are more compelling and better on their own, IMO.

I'm highly skeptical and not super excited about rehashing all the TNG Q episodes.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Matalas joining as co-showrunner gives me some hope. 12 Monkeys is still the best time travel show with fantastic characters and beautiful messaging inexplicably getting better every season and nails the landing, so I hope he can turn it around.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
His body died, but the story seemed to imply his consciousness never did. The technology seems to be perfected enough that it was more of a body transfer. So then we're just talking technicalities, just like in the way I suppose we could make the argument that people that get transported "die" as well, but I'd rather believe in the Star Trek Universe human consciousness is easily transferable with their technology.
They said they transferred his 'memory engrams' so that's basically it for Picard then, say hello to synth Picard replica.

Season 2 -

They better not pull some bad Voyager 'Q gets bored with being omniscient and has decided mortality is really the good stuff and kills himself'[/spoiler]

If they pull an X files season 11 and say the dumb stuff from season 1 was all just Q manipulations, this show could be redeemed[/spoiler]

They hid/CGI'd Brent Spiner enough in season 1 that the age difference for what should be essentially an immortal, unchanging being didn't matter too much. Its going to be fully ludicrous the lengths they go to explain why Q looks 30 years older. "I got stuck in a Quantum dark matter black hole which made my Q particles age 3 trillion years which is equivalent to 30 of your human years..."
Q is a non human entity. He merely takes the appearance of other beings. Q could look any way he wanted to, any age.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought when I saw Paradise Lost was that they would revisit Khan. More time travel shenanigans!

Oct 28, 2017
I watched some of the interview with Will Wheaton, Stewart and Delancie and Stewart is showing his age. He seemed so tired. Much like how he did in Season 1 of Picard. And De Lancie is only 7 years younger.

you'll not get this level of intensity from Stewart

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Q is a fun character but season 1 was quite uneven and I worry season 2 will be overly serious as season 1 was. I hope they don't suck the humor out of Q!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to like Season 1, I really did but man it was a cold slog to get through.

Can they ever not do the whole "remember character you liked? Well they're old now and their life totally sucks and they're completely miserable!".

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to like Season 1, I really did but man it was a cold slog to get through.

Can they ever not do the whole "remember character you liked? Well they're old now and their life totally sucks and they're completely miserable!".

Someone else mentioned it here but losing the more episodic nature of the series did kind of hurt the formula. It just feels like old folks standing around talking and reminiscing about Star Trek.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
What's Picard doing with the tablet that released a Prophet and Pah-wraith?

8zqaCtt.png

AlBZLNu.jpg

Probably nothing. DS9 doesn't get much love in these new shows outside the occasional background reference.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017

8zqaCtt.png

AlBZLNu.jpg

Probably nothing. DS9 doesn't get much love in these new shows outside the occasional background reference.

Yeah I noticed that too. Also the book "Paradise Lost" was also a DS9 episode title. I wonder if there will be some DS9 cameos season 2.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to guess the clear religious background references and the past like stargazer that they will tie into the theme of the season. Paradise Lost is of course an expansive Epic dealing with Temptation and the fall of mankind by Lucifer. I mean Q likes to play those sort of temptation games but I really cant see him trying to tempt Picard again with a way to change the past

Jan 29, 2018

8zqaCtt.png

AlBZLNu.jpg

Could just be someone saw that in the Star Trek warehouse and thought "oh yeah, Picard likes archaeology".

Was the Stargazer model in his office in season 1?

Nov 27, 2020
Going to guess the clear religious background references and the past like stargazer that they will tie into the theme of the season. Paradise Lost is of course an expansive Epic dealing with Temptation and the fall of mankind by Lucifer. I mean Q likes to play those sort of temptation games but I really cant see him trying to tempt Picard again with a way to change the past
He has before, such as when Picard's artificial heart gave out and he showed Picard what would have happened if he played it safe and didn't get stabbed, and then there's "All Good Things". I would hope that if this is a trip through Picard's past that it would be for different reasons than the other two, especially "Tapestry". That episode is a classic, and is well-worn ground at this point.

Nov 27, 2020
That'd be cool. I can totally see Q knowing when Picard dies and, perhaps, wanting to pay his respects only to find that there's a machine with his face, his voice and his memories.
I had this theory, way back before season 1 premiered, that the show would end with Q appearing to a dying Picard and offering him, earnestly, the chance to become a Q and continue to explore existence with him, that the trial was over, and humanity acquitted themselves well. Maybe we done actually see what Picard's ultimate choice is, but then we end with a glimpse of the former Starfleet personnel onboard the USS Picard, continuing to explore the galaxy.

Of course, Picard did die in season 1, and it went nothing like that. Lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had this theory, way back before season 1 premiered, that the show would end with Q appearing to a dying Picard and offering him, earnestly, the chance to become a Q and continue to explore existence with him, that the trial was over, and humanity acquitted themselves well. Maybe we done actually see what Picard's ultimate choice is, but then we end with a glimpse of the former Starfleet personnel onboard the USS Picard, continuing to explore the galaxy.

Of course, Picard did die in season 1, and it went nothing like that. Lol

I s'pose Q would have a rather good point when he shows up again. Wasn't the whole point of the trial to ascertain if humanity could evolve beyond its limits? Maybe it's a bit of problem if the man Q had the greatest faith in actually turned around and became a potentially immortal robot to escape his own death.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who didn't have much fun with Season 1 that sure is intriguing. I'm not sure they can really deliver though

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Hopefully they can nail it this time. Season 1 started off well but then kind of meandered.

Having Q and time travel will hopefully alleviate the problems with the last season often not really feeling like a TNG spin off. Like, there's such a thing as too much fan service, but I felt the first season often went in the opposite direction.

Nov 27, 2020
Hopefully they can nail it this time. Season 1 started off well but then kind of meandered.

Having Q and time travel will hopefully alleviate the problems with the last season often not really feeling like a TNG spin off. Like, there's such a thing as too much fan service, but I felt the first season often went in the opposite direction.
I think that there's a general consensus that the first season was not very good. I thought it started strong, and the first three episodes that were mostly Earthbound were very good. I also think that some of the "fan service" was well executed. Bringing in Maddox makes sense in a story about Data's legacy, working in the destruction of Romulus from the Prime Universe perspective is a neat idea, and the dreams involving Data were mostly well executed. On the flip side of that, pretty much all the stuff with the Borg just felt like trailer bait in the end, Hugh and Icheb's inclusion and deaths felt like waste, and the battle with the 150 year old Bird of Prey was just "remember this ship?"

Picard season 1 felt like a show trying to figure out a reason for it to exist. On paper, it's compelling, to see this beloved character dealing with mistakes and lost connections with people towards the end of his life...and that's exactly where those first three episodes felt like we were heading. A character study featuring one of the best Star Trek characters and one of the best actors of our time is golden. Yet, in the last two thirds of the season they make it into yet another save the universe from the evil AI story that's been done over and over again, and then end it with one of the biggest WTF moments I've seen in a TV series (android Picard). Picard sacrificing himself to save a planet of androids he barely knows (as well as the galaxy at large), feels like an appropriate end to the character. Becoming an android...not so much. That said, Q and Guinan's inclusion in season 2 has me intrigued and I'm sure there will be lots of classic TNG philosophical discussions about the ramifications of what happened to Picard.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Matalas joining as co-showrunner gives me some hope. 12 Monkeys is still the best time travel show with fantastic characters and beautiful messaging inexplicably getting better every season and nails the landing, so I hope he can turn it around.
I think it's pretty promising that Matalas was the one to reach out to de Lancie.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Someone else mentioned it here but losing the more episodic nature of the series did kind of hurt the formula. It just feels like old folks standing around talking and reminiscing about Star Trek.

Ehh. Serialization vs Episodic was the least of the problem IMO.

The big problem was melodramatic writing, and nonsensical plot points that only served to get cool ideas into the scene over how these characters and the world works.

The writing and scripting was very, very bad compared to the ideas presented. It could have worked, but so much was handwaved over or put into dialogue no human would utter, that it didn't work.

They got a better writers room for S2, so here's hoping the new crew is able to elevate it a bit. But with Alex Kurtzman running the universe, I'm not too hopeful.

Nov 27, 2020
Ehh. Serialization vs Episodic was the least of the problem IMO.

The big problem was melodramatic writing, and nonsensical plot points that only served to get cool ideas into the scene over how these characters and the world works.

The writing and scripting was very, very bad compared to the ideas presented. It could have worked, but so much was handwaved over or put into dialogue no human would utter, that it didn't work.

They got a better writers room for S2, so here's hoping the new crew is able to elevate it a bit. But with Alex Kurtzman running the universe, I'm not too hopeful.
I'm good with Picard being serialized, especially since this is a continuation of a character's story that started over 30 years ago - it's serialized by it's very premise. But yeah, the writing, plotting, and general storytelling was very bad in season 1. I'm hoping that can improve, because a continuation of the TNG/DS9/VOY universe is very compelling to me.

Discovery is the show that needs to lighten up on the serialization. It's obvious they can't come up with an arc beyond "evil/destructive force threatens the Federation/galaxy and only Discovery can stop it". The solution is simply to stop doing season long arcs.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I would be happy if Michael Chabon wasn't involved at all on any level anymore and the fellow from 12 Monkeys is actually interested in telling a science fiction story instead of mystical cliche whatever. It will never be ideal seeing that ST is in the hands of dullards, but if somebody can squeak something out despite that there's potential.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
The first season was such a stinker that I'm adopting a wait and see approach with this one. They're not going to get me with bringing back beloved characters if the writing is going to continue to be atrocious.