• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
they absolutely need to show the DS9 eps Past tense part 1 and 2, as those episodes are absolutely relevent to our current times.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they absolutely need to show the DS9 eps Past tense part 1 and 2, as those episodes are absolutely relevent to our current times.
Relevant ? Fuck, it's a documentary at this point.
N8X1zAX.gif

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For a BLM marathon, Far Beyond the Stars is... kinda mandatory. Duet is just uniformly excellent, but I feel like the moral there isn't really relevant to them moment. Past Tense I feel has a strong argument, as does the two-parter where the admiral tries to stage a coup in the name of security, but like, they're definitely secondary compared to Far Beyond the Stars.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
For a BLM marathon, Far Beyond the Stars is... kinda mandatory. Duet is just uniformly excellent, but I feel like the moral there isn't really relevant to them moment. Past Tense I feel has a strong argument, as does the two-parter where the admiral tries to stage a coup in the name of security, but like, they're definitely secondary compared to Far Beyond the Stars.
Badda Bing, Badda Bang kind of touches on overt racism as well, even if the conclusion is a bit unsatisfactory.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I like Badda Bing, Badda Bang because I think it brings up and interesting "what if" scenario.

Look at the problems today, and people who say "that was all in the past. Things are different now". Now, in our present, these problems still exist, they haven't gone away.

But what if the problem was solved. In the world of Trek, would Sisko's view be common one? What would discussions on racism and oppression in history look like in a world where Earth really had solved that one, hundreds of years ago. I get that the episode only brought it up because they know we, the viewer, don't live in that future, and it was right to call it out. But I still think it makes an interesting idea to think about.

I'd agree if not for the other episodes shown during the marathon. Seems Duet would work far better than Nemesis. And heck, even with Voyage I'm surprised they didn't show "Living Witness". An episode about revisionist history seems appropriate about now, given the talk about how some statues and memorials rewrite a terrible history.

www.cbs.com

Take Part In #StarTrekUnited With Curated Episodes, Support Black Lives Matter Organizations

For every fan that tweets with #StarTrekUnitedGives on Wednesday, June 17, CBS All Access will donate $1 to Black Lives Matter organizations.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like every animated comedy ever...

Thanks, I hate it.

Yeah it's kind of sad that 2010s animation has sort of devolved into looking so samey.
I like Badda Bing, Badda Bang because I think it brings up and interesting "what if" scenario.

Look at the problems today, and people who say "that was all in the past. Things are different now". Now, in our present, these problems still exist, they haven't gone away.

But what if the problem was solved. In the world of Trek, would Sisko's view be common one? What would discussions on racism and oppression in history look like in a world where Earth really had solved that one, hundreds of years ago. I get that the episode only brought it up because they know we, the viewer, don't live in that future, and it was right to call it out. But I still think it makes an interesting idea to think about.

I'd agree if not for the other episodes shown during the marathon. Seems Duet would work far better than Nemesis. And heck, even with Voyage I'm surprised they didn't show "Living Witness". An episode about revisionist history seems appropriate about now, given the talk about how some statues and memorials rewrite a terrible history.

www.cbs.com

Take Part In #StarTrekUnited With Curated Episodes, Support Black Lives Matter Organizations

For every fan that tweets with #StarTrekUnitedGives on Wednesday, June 17, CBS All Access will donate $1 to Black Lives Matter organizations.

I can't imagine Sisko's mindset would be common (hell, you can argue he only acts that way because of his time travel/Prophet shenanigans.)

Part of the appeal of cosplaying the past is enjoying the trappings of it without any of the difficult realities of the era, and if you have no personal connection to any of that stuff why would you care? It's not like we have protest groups around now trying to remind everyone about all the raping and killing Ghengis Khan did. For interactive entertainment? I think the holodeck as presented is exactly what it would be like for the vast majority of people.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Sisko's mindset would be common (hell, you can argue he only acts that way because of his time travel/Prophet shenanigans.)

Part of the appeal of cosplaying the past is enjoying the trappings of it without any of the difficult realities of the era, and if you have no personal connection to any of that stuff why would you care? It's not like we have protest groups around now trying to remind everyone about all the raping and killing Ghengis Khan did. For interactive entertainment? I think the holodeck as presented is exactly what it would be like for the vast majority of people.

I don't think Sisko was influenced by time travel stuff. He was a history buff, and even collected ancient African artifacts. Can't remember which episode it was, but there's a later series episode where he brings his collection out of storage, and to DS9. Jake comments that it's when he really considered the station to be his home.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sisko was influenced by time travel stuff. He was a history buff, and even collected ancient African artifacts. Can't remember which episode it was, but there's a later series episode where he brings his collection out of storage, and to DS9. Jake comments that it's when he really considered the station to be his home.

Yeah, but there's a difference about being a student of history and actually experiencing it. Maybe Sisko would still have been a stick in the mud, but I imagine the experience made a significant difference.

Oct 25, 2017

And the camp factor is set to: awesome. Seriously, you can see Kate Mulgrew living up in two scenario's in Voyager: costume drama outfits, and full evil camp lady. It's weird, because there a ton of legit fun outtakes with Tim Russ, and yet the whole show never took advantage of this particular strength that most of its actors seem to have.

But, on Tim Russ and Living Witness, which is the only episode he directed if I remember correctly, these lines pretty much spell it out:
Quarren: "please, this isn't about race!"
Kyrian Arbiter: "It's always about race"

In the discussion about the 'doctor's new facts' at 37 minutes into the episode. I bothered to actually check that just now, so that's there.

It is also one of the very few good (and not problematic as hell afterwards) stand-alone episodes Voyager has.

I really wish they had done more than two 'pseudo mirror verse' episodes though (the other is Author, Author). Those actors loved their camp, dammit.

The connection to the Confederacy is obvious enough for the first youtube review of the episode I could find immediately pointed that out, so at least this episode did some good.

Last edited:

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
So watching all of Star Trek for the first time and I'm on to Deep Space 9. I really hope this Cardassian tailor dude becomes a series regular because the three episodes I've seen him in so far have been great.

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This seems a pretty bad list considering what it's meant to represent, bar a few episodes. The STD/STP episodes especially. Seems like they just didn't want to leave those shows out.
the saru episode does loosely fit but yeah for picard it's pretty much showing the first 3 episode as a way to ''promote'' the show completely disregarding the theme

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that I really like "Nemesis", personally. In a more "grounded" show they would have probably dropped the end twist entirely and it'd still work/be even stronger, but it's one of the Voyager episodes that effectively weaponized your expectations of the show and characters. It's also one of the best episodes at putting in work at making the humanlike aliens seem interestingly different with their speech patterns and the specific details about their burials. I like that even after it reveals "the man behind the curtain", Chakotay can't just get over his bias. And hey, it's a good Chakotay episode too!

It was a hidden gem I found on my Voyager rewatch I had no recollection of.

(Also a funny realization when rewatching: season 4 is a big improvement in overall quality for the show, but it was also surprisingly when they just dove headlong into the "let's destroy a shuttle every episode for entire spans" bit people clown on it for.)

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Discovery Season 2 rewatch: even as naked nostalgia bait (and despite how stupid Michael's memory of hurting Spock is narratively) I do like the return of the Talosians. I rewatched The Menagerie knowing this one was coming up, and even by the standards of early Trek it's interesting how morally... ambiguous they are. In a franchise known for allegory they stand out as one of the examples of a species who's ethical framework is orthogonal to ours. Not unethical exactly, but very different, with different values, and Discovery does actually manage to capture that

Last edited:

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the saru episode does loosely fit but yeah for picard it's pretty much showing the first 3 episode as a way to ''promote'' the show completely disregarding the theme
The Saru episode is terrible, his people were basically violent savages who almost committed genocide until the other race was able to basically castrate and enslave them.

Now Saru's people are free again and from the finale seem to have gone back to attacking and taking over the other race.

What is the message here?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

Believe they're referring to how the Kelpiens are now flying Baul ships and such

And like, no, they haven't started hunting the other species. They're just meant to have vaguely, somehow figured out how to coexist, as the cast had hoped at the end of the prior episode. And well, they've already got the makeup for Saru's sister, that's why they have her be the face of things despite it honestly not making much sense for her to be flying spacecraft in so short a time

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The Saru episode is going to end up next to Tuvox on the list of "all time bad decisions" once more time passes I think. If only for literally forcing a traumatic biological process that the entire species associates with death onto the whole planet

Someone in the writers room really thought "yes this is a happy ending"

Oct 25, 2017
The Saru episode is going to end up next to Tuvox on the list of "all time bad decisions" once more time passes I think. If only for literally forcing a traumatic biological process that the entire species associates with death onto the whole planet

Someone in the writers room really thought "yes this is a happy ending"

Tuvix is a legitimately great moral conundrum episode, and one of the great things Voyager actually improved on TNG with was allowing for some of those episodes to end on a non-definitive and proscriptive note.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Tuvix is a legitimately great moral conundrum episode, and one of the great things Voyager actually improved on TNG with was allowing for some of those episodes to end on a non-definitive and proscriptive note.
Okay it might get overblown specifically as "the one everyone knows" but I still don't like how Janeway handled it. Restrictions of the format really

Either way the Saru episode is just terrible on this front

Oct 25, 2017
Okay it might get overblown specifically as "the one everyone knows" but I still don't like how Janeway handled it. Restrictions of the format really

Either way the Saru episode is just terrible on this front
She has the choice to save two of her crew over the life of one person, and chooses the two people. It's utilitarian, but I understand her choice. The format does limit its impact as it never gets brought up again, but that's a failing of the show as a whole not the episode.

If we're talking about terrible moral quandary eps of Voyager the one where through ridiculous nonsensical means they have to decide to use the fake cardassian war criminal's abilities to save Blanna is much, much worse (and possibly outside of Fake Leah Brahams and Moriarty the worst example of how ridiculous the holodeck computers are.)

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Sisko and Riker (as far as we've seen in Picard) are the only good dads in Trek. Riker's dad, Paris' dad, Worf, and O'Brien are all bad dads. I guess Sulu wasn't horrible because his daughter turned out fine, then again Molly seemed fine in spite of O'Brien.

Bob_Coffee

Oct 25, 2017
id also imagine sisko's perspective on 20th/21st century stuff would be very different from the others, since he noted in past tense being a 21st century history buff. I imagine most earth people look at that time as "hey we solved that shit 200 years ago,we good now" and only know the federations cliff notes version unless they actively studied the time period.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
id also imagine sisko's perspective on 20th/21st century stuff would be very different from the others, since he noted in past tense being a 21st century history buff. I imagine most earth people look at that time as "hey we solved that shit 200 years ago,we good now" and only know the federations cliff notes version unless they actively studied the time period.
Sooo. Exactly the same attitude as now, then. LOL.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
You could remove the element of O'Brien being a father and outside of a few episodes you could count on one hand it would make utterly zero difference to his character.
He's not a bad father, but his being a father is completely irrelevant to his character.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You could remove the element of O'Brien being a father and outside of a few episodes you could count on one hand it would make utterly zero difference to his character.
He's not a bad father, but his being a father is completely irrelevant to his character.
It actually surprises me when he asks about his kids in any episode.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
O'Brien had better chemistry with Kira after she moved in with him than he ever did with Keiko. It didn't help that the actress who played Keiko wasn't a very good actor.

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O'Brien cared more about racket ball than his wife.

Him and Bashir has their thing.
And kayaking. The dude loved kayaking even though it always fucked up his shoulder.

O'Brien had better chemistry with Kira after she moved in with him than he ever did with Keiko. It didn't help that the actress who played Keiko wasn't a very good actor.
chiefobrienatwork.com

CHIEF O'BRIEN AT WORK

EPISODE 200: Sock Drawer Read the next episode→ Read the previous episode→

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they ever gave her enough material to demonstrate that.

I don't think O'Brien was a bad dad, but they utterly failed to integrate his wife and kids into the show in a meaningful way, unlike the Jake and Ben Sisko relationship.

They at least showed up on occasion, unlike VOY where Samantha Wildman straight-up disappears for the majority of the show, giving the impression Neelix and Seven basically raise her kid.