• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek: Voyager Reunion Announced

The cast of Star Trek: Voyager will reunite to celebrate the show's 25th anniversary, giving fans one more reason to celebrate aside from the upcoming Voyager novel and rewatch podcast. Seth Rudetsky and James Wesley announced the reunion on Tuesday. The live reunion will take place on Tuesday, May 26th at 8 p.m. ET on the Stars In The House YouTube channel and website. The reunion brings together Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway), Jeri Ryan (Seven of Nine), Roxann Dawson (B'Elanna Torres), Robert Beltran (Chakotay), Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Paris), Robert Picardo (The Doctor), Ethan Phillips (Neelix), and Garrett Wang (Harry Kim) in support of The Actors Fund.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

Some virtual reunion of the Voyager crew. I was hoping for a table read of Endgame or something.

Last edited:

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017

Some virtual reunion of the Voyager crew. I was hoping for a table read of Endgame or something.

I finally finished my first watch through last night. I dug "Endgame" overall. My only complaint is that I wanted more of an epilogue as to how the crew reintegrates back on Earth and where they end up!

I'm also willing to eat a little crow on Tom and B'Elanna. They put in some good work in Season 7 to flesh out that relationship. By the end, I bought in and Tom the husband and soon to be father was a more interesting character with some real growth. I still feel like more could have been done earlier in the series to develop their relationship and chemistry. Kira and Odo they are not, though.;)

I really loved "Homestead". A perfect off-ramp for Neelix as it never made sense for him to follow the crew to Earth. I legit got emotional at the end when the crew sent him off.

Chakotay/Seven.....

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I could have really liked Endgame if the show gave it an extra episode to flesh out the alt-future plot and add a denouement for the Voyager crew when they get back to the AQ.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Chakotay/Seven was bad, yeah, but that's mostly because Chakotay was a noncharacter. I would have struggled to care about any relationship he had.

I mean, it's better than the Doctor getting with her like he wanted. My god dude.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Chakotay/Seven was bad, yeah, but that's mostly because Chakotay was a noncharacter. I would have struggled to care about any relationship he had.

I mean, it's better than the Doctor getting with her like he wanted. My god dude.
The Doctor's infatuation was at least sweet and borne out of his genuine want to help her grow out of her shell and into someone that could partake in an intimate relationship. The Chakotay thing from Seven's perspective was basically "Well, I guess it worked in the holodeck so....."

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor's infatuation was at least sweet and borne out of his genuine want to help her grow out of her shell and into someone that could partake in an intimate relationship. The Chakotay thing from Seven's perspective was basically "Well, I guess it worked in the holodeck so....."
The Doctor was her teacher, father figure, and, oh right, doctor. There's absolutely no way to make that that relationship that wouldn't be creepy as hell, lol.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor was her teacher, father figure, and, oh right, doctor. There's absolutely no way to make that that relationship that wouldn't be creepy as hell, lol.
Oh I'm not advocating for it to have happened but functionally you can see where he would fall in love with her during that process. The progression in that episode was pretty natural. Plus, it payed off with a good laugh when he spills his guts to her when he thought he woule be decompiled later on.

Homestly, Seven didn't need a romantic relationship at all. I would have preferred they spent the time exploring her maternal side with Icheb.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not advocating for it to have happened but functionally you can see where he would fall in love with her during that process. The progression in that episode was pretty natural. Plus, it payed off with a good laugh when he spills his guts to her when he thought he woule be decompiled later on.

Homestly, Seven didn't need a romantic relationship at all. I would have preferred they spent the time exploring her maternal side with Icheb.
The episode was good, I just kinda think less of the Doctor when I remember it.

And yeah, kinda agreed on Seven not needing a relationship. I sorta rooted for Harry, but that was more out of sympathy for him than anything else. I'd agree that there were other, better directions to take her character.
I didn't hate it, honestly.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I like the sentiment behind the Chakotay/Seven relationship, though agree it wasn't done well in the time alotted. Like, he would be her guide to reintegrating with humanity; and of anyone on the crew, sans Janeway, he is the best person for the job.

They were trying to give her arc a conclusion, as well as a happy ending, and with the whole Unimatrix Zero thing I don't even think it was that out of left-field. It just didn't have the time to be satisfying in any way.

And kinda the same thing for Chakotay too, since he (and B'Elanna) would have no Maquis to go back to--instead, they each have a partner.

I think my Voyager rewatch has made me a Voyager stan.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Voyager had some great highs.

It also, however, had some really low lows.

And its continuity sucked.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If Voyager wasn't about being lost in the Delta Quadrant and wasted so many episodes on the "getting home" problem, then it would have been fine as a TNG clone.

The only thing you'd lose are the Borg episodes, but you could probably rewrite those anyway by having some Borg hang out in the Alpha Quadrant or just, gasp, be original and make up some new enemy like the Hirogen instead.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voyager went with the "getting home" premise because the writers were tired and burned out after 7 years of TNG and needed a source of new ideas. But then they almost immediately got bored of "getting home" and talked about jumping the ship home and going back to being a TNG clone.

Ron Moore told them they were crazy for wanting to quit on a perfectly fine idea (an idea which he would go on to steal for his BSG reboot), and also, say they got home, why would any of these people stay on the ship?

And its continuity sucked.
www.lcarscom.net

rdm1000118 - LCARSCom.Net | The LCARS Computer Network | A Star Trek Fan Site

From Fandom Author: Anna L. Kaplan Dated 10001.18 through 10002.02 PART I: MOORE JOINS VOYAGER, THEN LEAVES UNDER A CLOUD Time has gone by, and Moore now feels ready to share more of his thoughts, and talk about what happened to him. Sitting down at his home to begin what will be a long...
Ron Moore said:
The continuity of the show is completely haphazard. It's haphazard by design. It's not like they are trying desperately to maintain continuity of the show. They don't care, and they'll tell you flat out that they don't care.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually kind of into Worf/Troi. That one episode where Worf gets stuck jumping between alternate timelines really helped sell the concept for me, but also Troi was pretty involved with Alexander and that has to count for something. When they nix the relationship and have Troi get back with Riker I was a little disappointed (though where they've taken that relationship since makes up for it).

Re: Voyager and Endgame, in my headcanon the original future where they get back 13 years later or whatever is still the real timeline.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
So watching the episode of DS9 where Bashir and O'Brien go to some alien planet to destroy bioweapons called "Harvesters"

Why did they spend a week searching for the exact kind of radiation that would safely destroy them?
You have spaceships, just throw the bloody things into the sun. Wouldn't even take an afternoon and job done.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
So watching the episode of DS9 where Bashir and O'Brien go to some alien planet to destroy bioweapons called "Harvesters"

Why did they spend a week searching for the exact kind of radiation that would safely destroy them?
You have spaceships, just throw the bloody things into the sun.
Probably didn't want to risk transporting them.

Low key this is one of the most important episodes of the series.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Probably didn't want to risk transporting them.

Low key this is one of the most important episodes of the series.
The things are already on a space station and it's implied that they had to be transported there since the weapons came from two different races stockpiles. Just beam them into an empty box and tractor it into the sun.

Not to mention it's got to be safer than carrying glass canisters of a deadly supervirus BY HAND

Last edited:

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just write things off with the Sun Crusher/Dark Phoenix method of storage! What if they needed to contain a future outbreak? Need the data for controlling the stuff.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not Star Trek related but I started watching "The Orville" and it's pretty fun 5 episodes in.
It's really good and offers that old Trek style modern Trek abandoned. I feel it handles certain topics better also as it has the stand alone problem of the week structure, but the outcomes are actually seen long term as they get acknowledged in later episodes. It also has a really cheeky nod to Discovery that has to be on purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
It's really good and offers that old Trek style modern Trek abandoned. I feel it handles certain topics better also as it has the stand alone problem of the week structure, but the outcomes are actually seen long term as they get acknowledged in later episodes. It also has a really cheeky nod to Discovery that has to be on purpose.
Oh? (regarding disco) And yeah Orville is pretty good and I hate most of Seths stuff.