• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, it's not a great movie by any stretch, but it also not the worst Trek movie, by any stretch. That's a toss up between Nemesis and Into Darkness, and these days I'd likely rank NEM a step higher. Into Darkness is soooo bad.

I like Star Trek V. Sure it's not the best, but it's a fun, campy movie. It's basically a two hour TOS episode. The crew gets brainwashed and Kirk fights a powerful energy creature. That happened at least half a dozen times in TOS.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
The premise of V isn't bad, and actually with a better script could have been good. I rewatched it late last year and I don't hate it as much as I did when I was younger. There are bright points in there.

Nov 27, 2020
I like Star Trek V. Sure it's not the best, but it's a fun, campy movie. It's basically a two hour TOS episode. The crew gets brainwashed and Kirk fights a powerful energy creature. That happened at least half a dozen times in TOS.
Oh, I have a soft spot for it as well. It can be quite stupid at times, but it has some of the best Kirk/Spock/McCoy scenes in the series, Luckinbill is wrongfully shat upon as Sybok (he's actually quite good), and some of the scenes are particularly well shot, like the slow motion approach through the desert at the beginning. I certainly rank it above NEM and ID as a Star Trek movie as well as *whispering*…Star Trek 09. Yeah, I said it!

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
V is probably the weakest of the original 6 movies but "What does God need with a starship" is an all time classic of a line

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
PRODIGY-BRIDGE-CREW-2.jpg

Prodigy will be moving to Paramount+ instead of Nickelodeon. First look at bridge crew

variety.com

Inside the ‘Star Trek’ Universe of New Shows and Kids’ Fare on Paramount Plus

The "Star Trek" Universe will make its permanent home on streamer Paramount Plus, including the animated kids series "Star Trek: Prodigy."

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I can respect that, given how Nick can be restrictive with content release schedules

Though man, I didn't realise this would be from the Trollhunters people. That's both assuring (and man, look at some of those designs), but also... ironic, in a sad way

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
PRODIGY-BRIDGE-CREW-2.jpg

Prodigy will be moving to Paramount+ instead of Nickelodeon. First look at bridge crew

variety.com

Inside the ‘Star Trek’ Universe of New Shows and Kids’ Fare on Paramount Plus

The "Star Trek" Universe will make its permanent home on streamer Paramount Plus, including the animated kids series "Star Trek: Prodigy."
It's a kid's show.

Honestly, I'm wondering what people wanted. It's very weird, but also, I probably wasn't watching it. Much like I don't watch much of Nickelodeon's shows.

Do any of you?

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
This is exactly the reaction I expected. I'll check it out. Clone Wars and Last Airbender are cartoons aimed at kids, but they're still very entertaining.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be watching Prodigy.

I watched Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures because of the tie-in with Who, and I'll watch this even if it's bad.

Nov 27, 2020
I'll check it out at least. It could be Clone Wars(which I loved), or it could be Resistance (which I couldn't get into as much as I tried). I mean…I survived season 1 of Picard, so I can take a lot!

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 27, 2020
Well the designs are certainly... interesting don't really like them but hey no human so that's a plus
I think the eyebrow raising part of this picture is that there is nothing that reads as Trek in it. Maybe that's the point? All we really know about it is that they find a ship and go on adventures. My guess is that this might be set in the distant future and Janeway is a holographic mentor to them. It could be set in a different galaxy for all we know.

Oct 25, 2017
season 1 and 2 of TNG are just awful, they are currently airing on BBC America and I just can't have it on even in the background

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
season 1 and 2 of TNG are just awful, they are currently airing on BBC America and I just can't have it on even in the background

Yeah, did a rewatch and I'm convinced folks have no revisited them in a very long time. The partner got through Disco s1 and s2 fine, but that first season of TNG was a struggle. The same is true with about half of the first season of DS9.

Oct 25, 2017
They're still better than anything that's been made in the last 10 years.

not even close, While I have issues with Disco and Picard, I enjoy them far more than most anything from those two seasons. And lower decks is far above them.

Yeah, did a rewatch and I'm convinced folks have no revisited them in a very long time. The partner got through Disco s1 and s2 fine, but that first season of TNG was a struggle. The same is true with about half of the first season of DS9.

Yup, they don't hold up very well at all.

Jan 29, 2018
io9.gizmodo.com

An Original Star Trek Movie Is Coming From Discovery's Kalinda Vazquez

Kalinda Vazquez, a producer and writer on Star Trek: Discovery, has been hired by Paramount to write a new original Star Trek movie. No story details yet, but J.J. Abrams will produce and the project will see her greatly expand her role in the franchise.

I wish stuff like this wasn't reported as "a new Star Trek movie is coming" instead of "screenwriter has been hired to write a script which may be kicked around for a couple of years before Paramount decides whether to produce it or not".

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

Hey at least the music is generally way better, especially than any of the Berman era shows post TNG S3 :p
There are a couple of gems in the roughness

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
S1 of TNG is pretty bad. I will say the early episodes of DS9 are at least watchable for the world building as they were trying to figure out the Bajorans and Cardassians.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
S1 of TNG is pretty bad. I will say the early episodes of DS9 are at least watchable for the world building as they were trying to figure out the Bajorans and Cardassians.

Yeah, like I said, I think you still need to get through those bad episodes to get to the latter stuff, because many characters are setup in those earlier episodes. Like, the characterizations aren't quite there, but you appreciate how they change more if you know where they started.

Nov 27, 2020
I feel like S2 of TNG gets unfairly lumped in with S1. Sure, S1 is undeniably rough, but still vital viewing if you're really going into TNG with both feet. S2, OTOH, and I say this as someone who is actively rewatching this right now (just got to The Emissary!), is pretty damn good. There are a number of good to great episodes, and even the more middling ones have fun character moments that were much rarer in season 1. We just watched "Manhunt" last night, and even though that's a Lwaxanna Troi episode, there are a number of laugh out loud character moments…particularly the look on Riker's face when Troi tells Picard about her mother's condition.

So, I don't believe that TNG didn't "get good" until S3. It was already pretty damn good in S2.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like S2 of TNG gets unfairly lumped in with S1. Sure, S1 is undeniably rough, but still vital viewing if you're really going into TNG with both feet. S2, OTOH, and I say this as someone who is actively rewatching this right now (just got to The Emissary!), is pretty damn good. There are a number of good to great episodes, and even the more middling ones have fun character moments that were much rarer in season 1. We just watched "Manhunt" last night, and even though that's a Lwaxanna Troi episode, there are a number of laugh out loud character moments…particularly the look on Riker's face when Troi tells Picard about her mother's condition.

So, I don't believe that TNG didn't "get good" until S3. It was already pretty damn good in S2.

S2 is uneven, with a number of false starts. There's some great stuff like "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who" and it picks up about halfway through. Season 3 is where they really hit the stride.

Nov 27, 2020
S2 is uneven, with a number of false starts. There's some great stuff like "The Measure of a Man" and "Q Who" and it picks up about halfway through. Season 3 is where they really hit the stride.
I get what you're saying, but I still find S2 more enjoyable than most of S7. I don't see it as that uneven, really. After "The Child", you get "Where Silence Has Lease" and "Elementary, Dear Data", then a couple of episodes after that you get "Matter of Honor", "Measure of a Man" and "Contagion", and then once you hit "Time Squared" it pretty much rolls to the end with decent to great episodes from there on out. Well, until "Shades of Grey". Most shows wait until they've been on half a decade or more before their first clip show. TNG did it in two. Hooray…I guess? Lol

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah skip first and last episodes of season 2 but watch the rest. But season one has the good geordi before they turn him into a weirdass stalker, so don't just skip season one. Skip the worst episodes only.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I guess that's supposed to be a take on the kelvin universe version of the borg? But realistically, they shouldn't be any different from the prime universe, right? Insert comic book reference that tells me I'm wrong here.

Is that game any good?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's supposed to be a take on the kelvin universe version of the borg? But realistically, they shouldn't be any different from the prime universe, right? Insert comic book reference that tells me I'm wrong here.

Is that game any good?
Given that the look of the Borg is gonna depend on the technological advancement of the species they're assimilating, and a large part of that is gonna be at least somewhat random, maybe the reset timeline is enough to just make a few coins flip in different directions, thus the look. Or maybe the Kelvin-verse's faster/more militarized development rippled out far enough to effect the Borg.

Or maybe it's just a redesign for redesign's sake, lol. It looks good, imo.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I remember there being First Contact with the Borg in the IDW comics, set during the timeskip while the Enterprise A is getting built (with Kirk getting a temporary command of another ship). Maybe based off that?

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I was wondering if they'd bring back the crusty old doctor that Pike has a drink with in The Cage. Looks like they might not; has there been a cast list released?