Oct 25, 2017
What's frustrating is that they removed the diplomacy clusters (presumably due to being otherwise too limited), which had you going into the fringes of deep space and encounter new (read: randomly generated) species. It wasn't much, but it was neat.

I kinda wish we could get a Telltale style game for the franchise. It feels like a perfect fit for narrative focused, choice-dependent storytelling - even has the episodic format because TV.

Yeah Telltale's recent games have been great. Just wish they'd fix the jank.
Not ended, but like, Star Trek Destiny is pretty climactic in terms of how things drastically change for the setting, up to and including a fully detailed origin of the Borg that goes back to the near-beginning of the universe, and several notable planets are outright destroyed, and a lot of people died. It's the sort of thing that makes it difficult to follow up without having to explicitly stick to the groundwork laid out. "Oh by the way like 20 years ago 40% of the Federation was wiped out, and the Borg Collective is no longer a thing."
Good thing novels aren't canon :) Ignore at your leisure!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Jason Isaacs is still up for renewal? I would have assumed the plan would not to. I'm guessing his salary alone is nearly a quarter of the budget.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason Isaacs was like a season 1 regular only... he is not coming back unless he like a script story they pitch to him to return... and of course can afford him

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
i must have been living under a rock then because I wasn't familiar with either of them until Discovery lol
sd6L30jl.jpg

There was a hot moment when she was the biggest Asian actress in the world. But I also realize that half the people on this board are probably born after 2000. lol

Well, maybe not. Their cast has to be a huge part of the budget. Then again British actors seem in general more willing to do lots of TV projects compared to Hollywood actors.
I just looked on his wikipedia page and since I never watched Harry Potter, I just assumed he was some character actor. lol

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was gonna literally say I hadn't seen from Michelle Yeoh since Tomorrow Never Dies, and I keep calling Jason Isaacs Lucius Malfoy

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Y'all are crazy Isaacs is huge, so many good hollywood movies just off the top of my head:
The Patriot
Armageddon
Harry Potter moves all 8
The Tuxedo
Black Hawk Down
Pretty sure I remember seeing him in the 1st Resident Evil
Event Horizon
Dragonhart

He's also an awesome human being but I guess that's not why you pay the guy.

I imagine he is quite expensive but I think worth it, I hate to see him go he's one of my favorite actors.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are crazy Isaacs is huge, so many good hollywood movies just off the top of my head:
The Patriot
Armageddon
Harry Potter moves all 8
The Tuxedo
Black Hawk Down
Event Horizon
Dragonhart

I imagine he is quite expensive but I think worth it, I hate to see him go he's one of my favorite actors.
Other than Harry Potter, was he the star of any of those?
I mean I recognize him, but I saw him on Stephen Tobolowski-level, not big A-lister level.
(I assume he was the IRA guy in The Patriot.)

Oct 25, 2017
Going to another galaxy means never having to see another stupid Klingon ever again. :p

Oh, you know some band of Klingons would still show up.

Reading this Vulture piece and while I don't agree with a lot of it (I've got my issues with Discovery, but they're not related to Burnham somehow being a token black woman), I do think that the criticisms of how the plot twists seemed in service of the twists themselves rather than the characters is a solid one. Lorca was a great character up until the point he actually turned out not to be morally complex and perhaps suffering from trauma related to losing his crew in a war, but just evil.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I didn't like the Klingons on this show. But I always enjoyed them in the other shows like that time they showed up on Voyager.

Sad that I have lost all interest in them. It's not so much because they were the antagonists here, it's just, they were boring and uninteresting.

Oct 25, 2017
sd6L30jl.jpg

There was a hot moment when she was the biggest Asian actress in the world. But I also realize that half the people on this board are probably born after 2000. lol

I just looked on his wikipedia page and since I never watched Harry Potter, I just assumed he was some character actor. lol

Born in 83...but now I recognize her lol

The Patriot
Armageddon
Harry Potter moves all 8
The Tuxedo
Black Hawk Down
Event Horizon
Dragonhart

Whoa he was in Event Horizon? I love that movie, other than that I haven't seen the other ones except Black Hawk Down.

Same, and apparently I've watched a few movies each were in.

Apparently I have too lol

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, you know some band of Klingons would still show up.

Reading this Vulture piece and while I don't agree with a lot of it (I've got my issues with Discovery, but they're not related to Burnham somehow being a token black woman), I do think that the criticisms of how the plot twists seemed in service of the twists themselves rather than the characters is a solid one. Lorca was a great character up until the point he actually turned out not to be morally complex and perhaps suffering from trauma related to losing his crew in a war, but just evil.
I'm actually fine with Lorca literally being genetically evil because it means that "good" Lorca might have been a normal human being. lol
There's probably room for some nuance in the morality of the Trek characters, but I don't think it works in the context of starfleet. It's like having a Marvel movie starring an anti-hero. The Punisher really wouldn't work in the current MCU, where it's all shiny and positive and everyone's a hero.

I didn't like the Klingons on this show. But I always enjoyed them in the other shows like that time they showed up on Voyager.

Sad that I have lost all interest in them. It's not so much because they were the antagonists here, it's just, they were boring and uninteresting.
The Jem Hadar were basically antagonistic Klingons, with a similar "bred for battle" bloodlust, and they worked well for what they were. I think people would be better off inventing a new race with the same traits rather than using the Klingons and all the baggage associated with them.

Or alternatively double down and have a Klingon main character and try to actually explore the nuances of Klingon society and how it doesn't really work.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm actually fine with Lorca literally being genetically evil because it means that "good" Lorca might have been a normal human being. lol
There's probably room for some nuance in the morality of the Trek characters, but I don't think it works in the context of starfleet. It's like having a Marvel movie starring an anti-hero. The Punisher really wouldn't work in the current MCU, where it's all shiny and positive and everyone's a hero.

The Jem Hadar were basically antagonistic Klingons, with a similar "bred for battle" bloodlust, and they worked well for what they were. I think people would be better off inventing a new race with the same traits rather than using the Klingons and all the baggage associated with them.

Or alternatively double down and have a Klingon main character and try to actually explore the nuances of Klingon society and how it doesn't really work.
I'd like that if it was an actual Klingon. Not whatever most of these people were, like they get stranded and save one on a ship and he hangs around for a while or something but he's just some random soldier not a head of house or whatever.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Just do Andromeda's premise in Trek. One ship in a hostile universe after the fall of the Federation. The point being to put the Federation back together again.

Barely anyone watched Andromeda anyways.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017

I agree. I actually don't have many problems with the redesign (just give them hair back is all I ask), but the cultural stuff seemed poor. It's a shame.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I agree. I actually don't have many problems with the redesign (just give them hair back is all I ask), but the cultural stuff seemed poor. It's a shame.
As has been shown regarding the redesign, just give them hair and they look like standard Klingons of 1979 onwards

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I've wanted a Trek Telltale game for years now--it just seems like the perfect fit for the franchise, pretty much. (Don't get me wrong, my dream is a full-on open-world RPG, but I know that'll never happen--to make such a game actually feel like Trek, you'd have to break so many of the genre's conventions regarding combat, frequency of enemy encounters, and so on, that it'd be a super hard sell, even if the franchise got back to peak TNG popularity again.)

It's honestly kinda surprising that we've never heard rumours that such a thing might be in the works. Working with outside IP is Telltale's whole MO, and I feel like the scope/production cost of your average Telltale game wouldn't be prohibitive for a company like CBS. Maybe, now that the Trek IP's back out of the doldrums, the cogs might start turning.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
So, thinking about that finale, did they ever establish that Prime Georgiou was bi? Or is it just her mirror universe self?

Cus that whole thing of showing a character lacks morals by making the all depraved and *gasp* bisexual? I thought we were done with that last decade. It's really lazy shorthand. Did I miss them establishing this character as Bisexual before this scene or was it as jarring as I thought?

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would do a series beyond Voyager. It doesn't even have to involve the Federation.

They set up a Battlestar Galactic style from the Abramsverse with the destruction of Romulus and the fall of the Romulan Star Empire.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, thinking about that finale, did they ever establish that Prime Georgiou was bi? Or is it just her mirror universe self?

Cus that whole thing of showing a character lacks morals by making the all depraved and *gasp* bisexual? I thought we were done with that last decade. It's really lazy shorthand. Did I miss them establishing this character as Bisexual before this scene or was it as jarring as I thought?
I get you I hope they do establish that Georgiou had a wife back on earth but it'll probably be more "Roman emperors had sex with any servant they wanted" and go with that.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I get you I hope they do establish that Georgiou had a wife back on earth but it'll probably be more "Roman emperors had sex with any servant they wanted" and go with that.

Man a secret earth wife would be awesome!

Like, I get the parallels with Rome that they're going for; but I really don't get how sexuality is supposed to work in the 23rd century anyway. From what the show has shown so far, the future is still built on monogamous relationships; and most people are still heterosexual. There's not really been any setup of a post label society or anything, or any indication that it's normal to experiment in the future. Just a pair of gay men who acted exactly like 2018 gay Americans (until one of them was unceremoniously killed off (which I'm still mad about, they could've killed one of the do nothing bridge people instead of one of like Starfleet's only gays ever.))

So far our only model of sexual fluidity in this setting is when the amoral genocidal monster from another universe does it. And that's kind of annoying.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just watched the first ep. Good cast and high production values, but I dunno man, it just didn't grab me. Will watch another few eps and see if it picks up.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the first ep. Good cast and high production values, but I dunno man, it just didn't grab me. Will watch another few eps and see if it picks up.
First episodes (1/2) are prequels to the show. They're a little different than the standard episodes but the CG is still pretty rad. The war for he most part takes a back seat so give it a few episodes of Discovery proper.

Oct 25, 2017
Man a secret earth wife would be awesome!

Like, I get the parallels with Rome that they're going for; but I really don't get how sexuality is supposed to work in the 23rd century anyway. From what the show has shown so far, the future is still built on monogamous relationships; and most people are still heterosexual. There's not really been any setup of a post label society or anything, or any indication that it's normal to experiment in the future. Just a pair of gay men who acted exactly like 2018 gay Americans (until one of them was unceremoniously killed off (which I'm still mad about, they could've killed one of the do nothing bridge people instead of one of like Starfleet's only gays ever.))

So far our only model of sexual fluidity in this setting is when the amoral genocidal monster from another universe does it. And that's kind of annoying.

Mostly to me the "everyone's bi" thing annoys me because it's so clearly just a legacy of 90s TV and heterosexual titillation; it's kind of funny that DS9 has some of the best examinations of alternate non-human sexualities and then was the one that started the 'everyone (read: hot women) is bi in the mirror universe' trope by essentially misreading their own episode (Mirror Kira in "Crossover" isn't really bi, so much as so narcissistic she'd bang her doppleganger.)

The rules of Star Trek is that it's not, at least for human society, any drastic reconfiguration, so I imagine it's still the 5-10% LGB population. I kind of assume that if someone has gender dysphoria they can screen for that and fix it in the future so no one is actually trans though. Who knows about non-binary. Would be thorny for ST to get into that though.

See, I don't think Lorca was that bad though—he was basically a more ethically murky read on the classic "breaks the rules but gets results" main character, and in that sense I enjoyed where they went with Burnham and Lorca in that sense (although not in the ham-fisted mutiny stuff). Really the worst thing we saw him do was decide not to rescue the Admiral, which was definitely self-serving but was also playing by the book. Essentially it would have been possible to read him before the MU reveal as a flawed but good character rather than falling full-on into the anti-hero mold, the same way Sisko manipulating the course of the Dominion War didn't make him irredeemable (and honestly, if we stack up each person's transgressions, I don't think there's any way Sisko doesn't have more sins to pay for, albeit we've also got more seasons of exposure. Agreeing with a conspiracy to kill a head of state, conspiracy to hoodwink a foreign power, biological terrorism, trafficking in banned substances...)

There's also the more metafictional reasons I hate the reveal, such as no one apparently noticing Lorca had gone evil when all the other shows make it pretty clear MU counterparts have a hell of a time trying to act "normal".

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Mirror Universe isn't really "oh hey everyone is evil!", so it's not that difficult to believe Lorca was able to fool people. Plus it was during a time of war and apparently a lot of Starfleet higher ups were willing to look the other way as long as Lorca got results.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How was Vic Fontaine a real person in the Mirror Verse that's the biggest WTF moment for me

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly to me the "everyone's bi" thing annoys me because it's so clearly just a legacy of 90s TV and heterosexual titillation; it's kind of funny that DS9 has some of the best examinations of alternate non-human sexualities and then was the one that started the 'everyone (read: hot women) is bi in the mirror universe' trope by essentially misreading their own episode (Mirror Kira in "Crossover" isn't really bi, so much as so narcissistic she'd bang her doppleganger.)

The rules of Star Trek is that it's not, at least for human society, any drastic reconfiguration, so I imagine it's still the 5-10% LGB population. I kind of assume that if someone has gender dysphoria they can screen for that and fix it in the future so no one is actually trans though. Who knows about non-binary. Would be thorny for ST to get into that though.
I think it'd be fine if they took the time to show either the captain be bisexual in the normal universe, or have a bi character at all.
Also the novels made Mirror Kira definitively bi. But I think the show did that to Ezri in the final mirror universe episode anyway. (I remember they shipped her with another female mirror counterpart).

See, I don't think Lorca was that bad though—he was basically a more ethically murky read on the classic "breaks the rules but gets results" main character, and in that sense I enjoyed where they went with Burnham and Lorca in that sense (although not in the ham-fisted mutiny stuff). Really the worst thing we saw him do was decide not to rescue the Admiral, which was definitely self-serving but was also playing by the book. Essentially it would have been possible to read him before the MU reveal as a flawed but good character rather than falling full-on into the anti-hero mold, the same way Sisko manipulating the course of the Dominion War didn't make him irredeemable (and honestly, if we stack up each person's transgressions, I don't think there's any way Sisko doesn't have more sins to pay for, albeit we've also got more seasons of exposure. Agreeing with a conspiracy to kill a head of state, conspiracy to hoodwink a foreign power, biological terrorism, trafficking in banned substances...)

There's also the more metafictional reasons I hate the reveal, such as no one apparently noticing Lorca had gone evil when all the other shows make it pretty clear MU counterparts have a hell of a time trying to act "normal".
I guess it's strange because the Mirror humans become "Good guys" in DS9, so the franchise turns back to the nurture side of the equation because it leads for more interesting stories, but it's not like he was going to be a reformer. And it's clear that whoever took over after Georgiou left didn't change the way the Empire worked, so who knows. I mean, I think the mirror universe is dumb too - considering Star Trek has also established that parallel universes, which much less variation, exist as well. It was fine as a one off gimmick, but it then became its own inconsistent thing as people tried to add to it.

As for Lorca and Sisko, I guess I didn't get any indication that Lorca was a good person or that he necessary cared about any people. I guess the moment when he uses to spore drive to save the Federation colony from the Klingon attack was meant to be his hero moment? But we then learn all of that was just a long game to get back to the Mirror Universe so who knows what the motives were.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Watching that gif again just makes me realise how gorgeous the design of the Enterprise is compared to the Discovery.

What I love is that, ignoring the TOS design for a bit, this really does look like a true pre-refit Enterprise. The general structure - particularly the secondary hull - is there, with it feeling more like particular parts of the ship - nacelles, deflector array, etc - got overhauls, where previously it might as well have been a whole new vessel.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Jeez, since Discovery was much more of a disappointment for me, I've been rewatching a good amount of Voyager episodes for the last couple days. I miss actual good Trek and not fricking Star Wars (ignore avatar). Like, how many actual real Trek episodes were there in this entire season? I'm talking an episode that actually explores some ethical issue or tough moral dilemma? Two or three at best? Why can't I get shit like the Voyager episode I just watched where they meet a group of aliens that have eliminated crime by outlawing and eliminating all violent thoughts? Something where you feel like an actual explorer encountering strange new worlds with unique cultures presenting you with interesting philosophical questions? Is it wrong to police thought? Are violent thoughts necessary? That's actually interesting stuff. You know what isn't interesting? Whether Ash and Michael will hook up, whether the Federation will lose the war we know they will not lose, whether the evil Lorca will be defeated who has no interesting view points beyond being evil.

Keep your Star Wars out of my Star Trek. I may be a 100% Star Wars shill, but I'm not such a shill that I want every show to be Star Wars.

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The thing about that, BossAttack, is you have to sift through a lot of mediocrity (or downright awful) episodes to get to the good ones, especially with voyager.

I mean, while i'd Love the slow burn again I am not entirely convinced the mass market are that patient.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

First Lesbian kiss on Trek was evil mirror characters, so...