RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
If it were any other gaming publisher not already gouging their players for money showing content like this that's supposed to released in 2+ years, it would be eviscerated.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least there is more than enough time to prepare another PC upgrade. :)

The prologue looked great, it showed the "slow-paced" realism that this title is pushing, with such awesome visuals for a space sim that has both flying, on-foot, zero G, and FPS sections.

I originally got a GTX 580 for this, lol. Funny how it's looking like maybe even the 4090 won't make it.

So 2026? Demo was rough but I suppose that's that these days. I think assuming funding doesn't collapse or runs out it'll be out. But I really want SQ42 & SC to come out because they both really are pushing the boundaries of FP(S) Gaming. At least all that money will probably be used as tech by other developers in the coming years.

Disclamer: have not spent a single dime on this game.
This is where I am. I feel that it is rather unfortunate that every SC thread becomes SCAM noise rather than actually seeing any signal, much like early No Man's Sky threads became grievance processions.

The game reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever. Its entire pitch was to be a Crysis based PC melting title, but the influx of cash has led them to go absolutely crazy on what their ambition is on tech. Way beyond what any regularly funded title would do. Thing has exploded horizontally and achieving anything vaguely shippable is increasingly hard.

It's clearly progressing but man they sure have bitten off a lot to chew and there is not even a vague hint of concession. No 80:20 rule here, it's just 100:0.
Yeah, they should've bitten the bullet much earlier on with some choices like built their own engine etc.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Alright, that was a fantastic showing, especially knowing this is all in starengine and you might as well fly down the planet at every time lol.

Kinda bummed I only bought starcit, but I'm imagining there's gonna be lots of options to add sq42 back into the library before release :D

We don't have the whole space walk stuff ingame yet, do we?

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
If it were any other gaming publisher not already gouging their players for money showing content like this that's supposed to released in 2+ years, it would be eviscerated.
Except no one has paid for Squadron 42 since they took it down from a discounted pre-order price years ago.
It's all Star Citizen pledges now. I got SQ42 in my $35 Kickstarter pledge. Anyone buying it in 2026 will likely pay $70 for SQ42 and $45 for Star Citizen separately.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Except no one has paid for Squadron 42 since they took it down from a discounted pre-order price many, many years ago.
It's all Star Citizen pledges now. For me, I get SQ42 in my $35 Kickstarter pledge.
"Nobody has bought SQ42 except for the people who bought it a long, long time ago and have been waiting the longest of anyone" is not exactly the defense you think it is.

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
Okay then the 75% off discounted price is the defense. Back when I bought it, SQ42 was simply going to be a prologue into the MMO. Now it's a fully fleshed out campaign that is exponentially bigger than what was promised with production values through the roof. Given that I literally voted to "scope creep" the fuck out of the game, I can't complain where my thirty five dollars went.
How do you think they are funding the development of SQ42 exactly?
By selling ships in the MMO that you can quite easily earn in game. If people want to pay hundreds of dollars for something I'll earn in my first couple days of launch gameplay then that's fine.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I swear, old SC backers being constantly, permanently annoyed because the game they paid like 30-50 bucks for, 15 years ago, isn't there yet and just can't miss a single thread to loudly continue complaining about it are the WORST

:D

This ain't coming out in 2026. No way.
But it was right there, on a big screen and all. Would you accuse Chris Roberts of LYING?!

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
Thanks for the boiler plate gacha game defense against predatory pricing
Well I don't see anyone else doing anything remotely comparable so it's hard to complain when the competition is Eve Online, Elite Dangerous and Starfield.
I'll take $48,000 pledge packs (that you don't need) over Starfield any day of the week. At least Star Citizen is fun.

Am I supposed to be angry about the development time of a game that I've been able to login to and play since 2016? One that's been updated every quarter since the beginning of 2018? If I wanted a typical production schedule I'd play one of those games. Except they suck and I don't want to.
robertsspaceindustries.com

Star Citizen Roadmap - RSI

The Roberts Space Industries Star Citizen and Squadron 42 roadmaps.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It definitely is. I imagine they really want the upcoming planet features, lighting and everything to be in once it launches.

Don't worry, once they've done that and it's looking like the game might actually release, Roberts will insist on all the new tech they've developed in the meantime also get added and the game will get pushed back again

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
By selling ships in the MMO that you can quite easily earn in game. If people want to pay hundreds of dollars for something I'll earn in my first couple days of launch gameplay then that's fine.

Oh, so the ships that people are spending thousands of dollars on are easily earnable now after just a few hours of gameplay? I wonder why all those people are spending thousands of dollars on ships then.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh, so the ships that people are spending thousands of dollars on are easily earnable now after just a few hours of gameplay? I wonder why all those people are spending thousands of dollars on ships then.
Which ships are that, exactly? Checking the store, the most expensive one right now is the Carrack for 600$, which, yes can be relatively (!) easily obtained ingame. I spent like 40 bucks for the game and I've flown a whole bunch of ships in that time. Obviously not within like 2-3 hours, but if you play the game, you can easily work towards one of the bigger ships, as you would in literally any other space game.

Huge org ships like the Javelin, which is literally the giant destroyer from the demo, are obviously not meant to be bought by single players. They can't even use it, because you'd need a crew. Those ships, which only have been temporary available to pledge for, are for entire organisations or fleets, and are obviously a bit more than a week of in-game work - but yeah, you will be able to get them as well, as with all ships that are in the game, if you work together as a clan. Again, like other MMOs.

And please don't get me wrong - I hate you can just buy any ship with cash. It will always make progression look less worthwhile, and it's straight up pay to win, regardless of what pro players "you have to be good at it though" say. It sucks. But implying thousands of players have to pay thousands of dollars is just plain not true.

Last edited:

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Some negative takes on the SQ42 trailer even though it was pretty great.

• The enemies were too slow. They fight faster and more damn annoying in Arena Commander that you can play right now.
  • They still have not found a way to deal with players or npcs tilting when a ship dips during soft death. Couple times the player slid down weirdly.
  • The enemies were too tanky for the the turret guns given they can take out larger ships pretty easily in Star Citizen.
  • Vanduul favored melee way too much and only 1 decided to fire. Making cover irrelevant. Would have liked them to fire while closing in.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Some negative takes on the SQ42 trailer even though it was pretty great.

• The enemies were too slow. They fight faster and more damn annoying in Arena Commander that you can play right now.
  • They still have not found a way to deal with players or npcs tilting when a ship dips during soft death. Couple times the player slid down weirdly.
  • The enemies were too tanky for the the turret guns given they can take out larger ships pretty easily in Star Citizen.
  • Vanduul favored melee way too much and only 1 decided to fire. Making cover irrelevant. Would have liked them to fire while closing in.

Enemy wise, this is the prologue. I'd expect the difficulty to ramp up afterwards.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
At least we are at a point where we don't worry about SQ42 anymore, just waiting for it to be released. I remember when we didn't know anything about how it looked, played, or even what its state was.

Also, classic prologue. Cinematic, selling you the spectacle while teaching you some basics.

Love the new Social UI stuff, and the new Genesis system, as well as the instanced content for the LZs, the game really needs some "dungeon" content.

Nyaghoggua

Apr 3, 2024
Same reason people spend unnecessarily in games like Warframe and Path of Exile. They treat it like a donation to fund the game. In this case, anything over the $45 packs really is just depriving yourself of the intended progression. Those thousand dollar ships aren't viable without an org and anything intended for a solo player/small crew is acquired quite easily. Do I wish that they could make the game without selling ships? Absolutely, but it's a small price to pay to get a $700 million dollar budget in a niche as hell genre.

By the time I leave the starter system and encounter any PvP whatsoever, I'll have multiple competitive solo fighter ships that can tackle the crewed ones. There's been a lot of concern about how it'll play out in practice... But we already know how it works. It's not a "I spent more money than you therefore I win" correlation in most cases. You have to account for ship handling, flight skill and loadouts.

Last edited:

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of this feels like the ultimate space sim. I like how they even did the zero G movement in a relatively realistic way.

Only down side is that I doubt I'll ever have a PC that can handle this and considering all the development time + hardware demands I don't even want to think about when it's realistic to expect a console version

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Leaks about Squadron 42 on consoles? Where?
insider-gaming.com

12 Years and $700 Million Later, What's Going on With Star Citizen's Development?

Speaking with over a dozen sources about the turbulent development of Star Citizen at Cloud Imperium Games.
Earlier this year, Microsoft was given a brief presentation for Squadron 42, CIG's spin-off campaign of Star Citizen that consists of around 20 different chapters (levels) of various lengths.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
A lot of this feels like the ultimate space sim. I like how they even did the zero G movement in a relatively realistic way.

Only down side is that I doubt I'll ever have a PC that can handle this and considering all the development time + hardware demands I don't even want to think about when it's realistic to expect a console version
I low key love this, even if I'm scared. It's been a while since we had wing commander/Ultima levels of "shit this needs a machine that's not even it yet" lol makes me weirdly nostalgic.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
By the time I leave the starter system and encounter any PvP whatsoever, I'll have multiple competitive solo fighter ships that can tackle the crewed ones. There's been a lot of concern about how it'll play out in practice... But we already know how it works.

Do we? There's a lot of future tense in those sentences, and Roberts & Co.'s forward-looking statements haven't been the most…reliable.

People buying expensive in-game content expensive future in-game content is what has supported Cloud Imperium's entire business. Like, that is their business and it's a multi-hundred-million dollar business. I don't think it's unreasonable to question whether or not company leadership might feel beholden to the people who have given them those hundreds of millions of dollars when it comes time to decide how easy it is going to be to obtain those ships or competitive ships for free. You might insist that the people buying those ships all just viewed those purchases as donations to fund the game they're looking forward to, but I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of those buyers were looking for something a little different than just pure charity vibes. Maybe something like exclusivity, or an advantage. And if push comes to shove, and those buyers get upset about the general player base being given the opportunity to get "the ships they paid good money for" for free, who do you think Cloud Imperium is going to listen to?

I can write future-tense sentences too. My point isn't that all this will necessarily happen, it's that we don't really know how it's going to play out, so talking about the currently available official plan as if it's already some kind of factual truth isn't very convincing. This is a situation where acknowledging some degree of uncertainty and doubt isn't unreasonable. If SC and SQ42 are evidence of anything, it's that plans change, and they're especially likely to change when hundreds of millions of dollars gets involved.

I hope you're right and you get the game you want. I'm just not sure that's the game Cloud Imperium's "best customers" want.

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
And if push comes to shove, and those buyers get upset about the general player base being given the opportunity to get "the ships they paid good money for" for free, who do you think Cloud Imperium is going to listen to?
You can already get the ships without paying anything. Hell, the majority meme'd about it when they did NOT allow people to buy ships in game years ago and said they would never do it. You are pretty late on this one.