• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

V5er

Nov 19, 2019
I think the silence comes from being hard at work getting all the announced features ready for the Base launch.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Some disasters are easy to see coming. It doesn't mean you're happy about it or that you rooted for it, but well, ah, there it is.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
So here's an interesting thing:

Yesterday, ultra-generous super-user metsallica gave me a buddy pass for Stadia so I could try it out. I'm pretty much the perfect use-case for Stadia right now since I have fast internet at home but I don't have any functional gaming hardware save for controllers.

I got home excited to try Stadia, only to find that the Destiny 2 servers were down for maintenance. By pure coincidence, I then received an e-mail from NVidia welcoming me into the GeForce Now beta (I had forgotten I tried to sign up a while ago).

So I tried GeForce Now first. I was disappointed that I couldn't use it on my pixelbook as the Android version was incompatible. So I used a 1080p laptop and it worked extremely well over an ethernet connection. I used a bluetooth XBONE controller which worked perfectly. I was able to access my Steam account, install The Witcher III on the Nvidia remote machine, and picked up right from where I left off when I was playing the PC version half a year ago thanks to Steam Cloud saves. I was able to tweak all the graphics settings as I normally would on a PC and it looked better than I was able to display running natively on a GTX1060 at 1080p. There was however the odd hitch/hiccup in the stream that mostly took the form of audio glitches. Though I should say my wife was streaming a TV show @ 4K at the same time, though for me, this is pretty much the only scenario when I'll be playing games anyway so it was beneficial to test under those conditions.

After the Bunjie servers were back up, I migrated my Destiny profile from Battle.net to Steam and then used cross-save to migrate my character to Stadia. This time I played on a 2400 x 1600 pixelbook over 5G wifi (due to no ethernet port on my pixelbook). I was disappointed that I couldn't use my Bluetooth XBONE controller because it wasn't supported, so I had to resort to a wired 360 controller. The performance of Destiny in Stadia was generally worse than what I had just seen in The Witcher on Geforce Now, though this may have been the difference between ethernet vs 5G wifi. It was still definitely playable, though I was disappointed that the load times are still present as they were on PC. The graphics didn't look much better than what I remember experiencing locally on a GTX1060 but it has been a long time. I also tried Thumper which worked fairly well and mostly looked great, but again the stream wasn't as solid as I would like, especially for a game like that. I'l have to retry it on a wired connection to make the comparison more fair.

There's a few apples vs oranges caveats in my experience, but from my experience so far, if Geforce Now is far and away the better experience. Even if the quality of the streams between services were identical, the ability to access my steam library from Geforce Now clinches it. If I didn't have a steam library it would still win out due to the massive breadth of games available.

So as streaming services go, I've now tried all the major ones and here's my take-home: (note that I have only paid actual money for PS Now at this point)

1. Geforce Now: Stream quality is very good, Steam access is HUGE and makes this easily my top choice for streaming. Hoping for ChromeOS support or better Android support in the future.

2. PS Now: Stream quality is very good, however the graphics are limited to 720p which is definitely noticeable. The access to Playstation Exclusives is a huge bonus (I was finally able to play Bloodborne, Yakuza 5, etc), as well as online multiplayer being included without requiring PS Plus or whatever its called. Hoping for ChromeOS/Android support in the future. Best use-case for PS Now are people who never bought a PlayStation console and want to try out those exclusives.

3. Stadia: Stream quality was good on Wifi, graphics were good, user experience is not ideal (let me use a bluetooth controller!) and there are simply not enough games to make this a viable purchase, especially once Geforce Now comes out from Beta, it's hard to think of any reason to choose Stadia over GN.

Hopefully this was informative for someone. Cheers.

Just want to give an update on my earlier post; I tried stadia again at home, this time with nobody else using the internet at the same time, and it worked amazingly well. Played more Destiny, Tomb Raider, and Thumper, and everything was perfectly smooth. Looks like this might be my platform of choice for Cyberpunk. Played over 5Ghz wifi on a pixelbook.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I mean I'm not a stadia fan but even I didn't expect them to follow up a "we'll have 120 games locked for 2020" with a complete list of previously unannounced third party titles and reveals that are probably already planned for events and conventions during the year. The claim they should announce their entire planned portfolio for 2020 in detail seems a bit over the top, no?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think streaming an existing library (that you can play locally as well) is a far more appealing proposition than starting anew on Stadia.

Which is why Geforce Now & xCloud actually stand a chance.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I'm not a stadia fan but even I didn't expect them to follow up a "we'll have 120 games locked for 2020" with a complete list of previously unannounced third party titles and reveals that are probably already planned for events and conventions during the year. The claim they should announce their entire planned portfolio for 2020 in detail seems a bit over the top, no?
Yeah, it'd be weird if anyone was asking them to do that, which nobody is.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Either didn't think that far ahead after launching, or the tanking of it changed a lot of things behind the scenes
I mean a lot of console launches for first time companies have been rough. The Sega Master system didn't do so hot, and they had to wait for the next gen to really take off. Philips bombed, as did Apple, and then 3DO (Even though 3DO at least gave it a real try). Microsoft lost 4 Billion dollars over the course of the first gen Xbox, but never showed signs of giving up and ended with a library of over 1000 games over 4 years. Google should have a plan for really pushing this for a few years. If they really are "in shock" then they were in over their heads from day one.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
This is true, but they aught to at least announce some of them. Here is what XCloud said just a couple days ago about their upcoming games:

" The first part of the expanded public test is the addition of more than 50 titles to the Project xCloud preview. The list of new games includes first-party games such as Crackdown 3, Halo Wars 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, and State of Decay 2, as well as third-party games Devil May Cry 5, Tekken 7, Madden NFL 20, Hitman, Ark: Survival Evolved, and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. "

It doesn't give us a list of all 50 games, but we have a taste. And this is for a product that is still free and in preview.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they should have led with that. Or at least just called this an alpha or beta period and not charged people for using the service yet......

This was by far their biggest f*ck up (was it a Phil Harrison initiative?). You can even still charge by saying a specific Chromecast with controller is needed and it would probably still have sold the same. Changing the word beta to "early access" was stupid.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is true, but they aught to at least announce some of them. Here is what XCloud said just a couple days ago about their upcoming games:

" The first part of the expanded public test is the addition of more than 50 titles to the Project xCloud preview. The list of new games includes first-party games such as Crackdown 3, Halo Wars 2, Ori and the Blind Forest, and State of Decay 2, as well as third-party games Devil May Cry 5, Tekken 7, Madden NFL 20, Hitman, Ark: Survival Evolved, and Borderlands: The Handsome Collection. "

It doesn't give us a list of all 50 games, but we have a taste. And this is for a product that is still free and in preview.
True, and a completely valid point. It just sounded way more demanding a few pages back.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Looks like this might be my platform of choice for Cyberpunk. Played over 5Ghz wifi on a pixelbook.
Keep in mind that, at least before the delay, Cyberpunk was planned to arrive on Stadia later in the year, after the console/PC releases had already happened. Maybe that's changed now with the delay but it could still be a late release for Stadia.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that, at least before the delay, Cyberpunk was planned to arrive on Stadia later in the year, after the console/PC releases had already happened. Maybe that's changed now with the delay but it could still be a late release for Stadia.
I imagine Stadia is their lowest priority with all of the issues they seem to be having with performance on consoles (or has that been debunked?). The last video deflated my hype a lot so I might still hold out instead of getting it on my PS4 depending on what I am playing at the time

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I mean a lot of console launches for first time companies have been rough. The Sega Master system didn't do so hot, and they had to wait for the next gen to really take off. Philips bombed, as did Apple, and then 3DO (Even though 3DO at least gave it a real try). Microsoft lost 4 Billion dollars over the course of the first gen Xbox, but never showed signs of giving up and ended with a library of over 1000 games over 4 years. Google should have a plan for really pushing this for a few years. If they really are "in shock" then they were in over their heads from day one.
I think the fact they didn;t start buying studios until AFTER it launched speaks volumes.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
OMkZPywl.png

Still doing the Lord's Kaz' work

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
So when are we allowed to start comparing this to Ouya?
I've never quite understood this one. Is it some tenuous similarity in how the names sound depending on how you pronounce them? Is it the startup sound? Did some staff/developers of OUYA find their way to Google?
Because the 2 products almost couldn't be more different (heck, Stadia isn't even a product, its a service).

Let me guess, Its just the internet being the internet isn't it?

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

- Sega Master system was up against the NES, which was an entirely different situation then Stadia. Nobody is keeping games off Stadia.

-Apple/Phillips/3DO all bombed and are irrelevant or left the industry.

- Microsoft lost a lot of money on Xbox, while pushing their console HARD. Exclusives, the most powerful hardware, and even asking for third parties to do extra content for the Xbox version. The difference is effort between Microsoft launching Xbox and Google launching Stadia is enormous. Microsoft was hungry, Google doesn't seem to care.

Stadia by comparison has face planted right out of the gate, and is already irrelevant. While they're half heartedly fumbling to get up Microsoft and Nvidia are ready to keep them down for good, and I'm sure Sony will be joining in. Does anybody outside of Stadia buyers believe in this thing? Nobody cares about Stadia. It's a dead end.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I've never quite understood this one. Is it some tenuous similarity in how the names sound depending on how you pronounce them? Is it the startup sound? Did some staff/developers of OUYA find their way to Google?
Because the 2 products almost couldn't be more different (heck, Stadia isn't even a product, its a service).

Both are bad ideas that were badly executed that everyone hates and that flopped.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Typical Google response.
"Oh our platform sucks? Well it's someone elses fault"

They just jumped on the bandwagon because they could and now we can
witness how their service will die in an unfinished state
They said the same thing about caps and isps. When presented with an issue it is always up to someone else to solve

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

No, it's a wannabe console that was DOA.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

OUYA was a failed game console.

Stadia appears to be a failed game service.

The comparisons are obvious unless you're being disingenuous.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Both are bad ideas that were badly executed that everyone hates and that flopped.

No, it's a wannabe console that was DOA.

OUYA was a failed game console.

Stadia appears to be a failed game service.

The comparisons are obvious unless you're being disingenuous.
Well that's......... boring.

So not only is the internet full of hate-filled people desperate for 'thing I don't like' to fail, its unoriginal while doing it.

I expected better. I really did. Oh well.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
This seems like an irrelevant distinction in 2020. There's hardly an electric device you can buy that is usable without being tied to some kind of service, and this is quite deliberate. This was also true for the Ouya
I beg to differ.
I mean, you cant browse any Stadia thread here without people saying "But what if my internet goes down!" all the sodding time.
If it was an irrelevant distinction then people wouldn't care that one is a streaming-only service and the other is a physical box*.
But they clearly do. So its not.

*Edit: just want to clarify that the 'physical box's' I'm referring to here are PS4/XBOX/PC.
As my previous posts related to OUYA people might think I'm still talking about that. I'm not.

Last edited:

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Jade Raymond was in charge of Stadia and it supposedly, (not IMO) flopped. Black mark on her.
Uh no. Phil Harrison is in charge of Stadia. Jade Raymond only heads up their first party studio and her joining Google was only announced in March of last year (which means having any first party content for launch was unrealistic).

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I beg to differ.
I mean, you cant browse any Stadia thread here without people saying "But what if my internet goes down!" all the sodding time.
If it was an irrelevant distinction then people wouldn't care that one is a streaming-only service and the other is a physical box.
But they clearly do. So its not.

I mean personally I don't think comparisons to the Ouya are useful, but I can understand why they are made. If you're arguing that two things can't be compared because they aren't exactly the same then good luck navigating reality I guess

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
As gaming enthusiasts, the Stadia venom in this forum is so bizarre to me. I think the service is actually pretty damn nice. I would like nothing more than to see it do well. Does it have some work to do as far as features go and game catalog? Sure, but for a system that basically just came out, I have a solid amount of games to play and the best version of Destiny 2 outside of PC. I'm happy, and it looks like I now have a lot to look forward to in 2020.
As for the streaming, issues are damn near nonexistent. In fact, most of the time you'd be hard pressed to tell games are streaming at all!. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

It would be nice to come to Stadia threads and have a dialog with people who enjoy the service as well, like what's coming down the pipe. New announcemeants, service upgrades etc.. instead of seeing it devolve into a dumping ground for those who just want to shit on Google.

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well that's......... boring.

So not only is the internet full of hate-filled people desperate for 'thing I don't like' to fail, its unoriginal while doing it.

I expected better. I really did. Oh well.

You could have just come right out and said that anyone that criticizes Stadia is "hate-filled and desperate" instead of wasting our time trying to be cute.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This seems like an irrelevant distinction in 2020. There's hardly an electric device you can buy that is usable without being tied to some kind of service, and this is quite deliberate. This was also true for the Ouya
Would you compare Netflix to a Blu-Ray player and say the distinction is irrelevant?

It's just odd.. everything about a service launch is different from a physical product launch not to mention the differences from a consumer perspective. I can buy an Xbox or Playstation or Switch and not really use their services for instance; in fact I don't currently have Nintendo Online but it's the console I've used the most in the last few months.

We have other services we can DIRECTLY compare Stadia too.. OnLive, Geforce Now, PSNow.. Xcloud.. Shadow. None of these services has launched to massive immediate user bases, half of them haven't even launched, some have been in beta for years.

Because this is a tech that will take years and years and years to actually come to full fruition, if it ever does. It can change behind the scenes without anyone buying anything, it's costs are based on how many servers they bother to install, they don't have to worry about producing physical products that piss off retailers if they don't sell, etc.

A service is not dead if it doesn't immediately catch on unless the service is literally losing tons of money per customer. We have no clue of the financials behind the scenes of Stadia. And if it WAS designed to lose money at the start.. well.. not having that many customers isn't really a bad thing.

There is one comparison though; because Stadia is a distinct platform without users you'll need to do something to get devs to actually support it.. and without games the service will.. not attract users. In that way it is a bit like a console; unlike PSNow and XCloud and even nVidia's Geforce now that are based on established platforms where for the most part the games are already written. THAT I do think is a fair comparison.. but Google can solve that.. they can money hat, just like a new console trying to get off the ground (think Xbox in it's early days.)

It's still not the SAME as a hardware platform that would lose retailers and harm those relationships and have trouble re-building from a failed launch because they don't have the same control a backend software platform does.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I mean personally I don't think comparisons to the Ouya are useful, but I can understand why they are made. If you're arguing that two things can't be compared because they aren't exactly the same then good luck navigating reality I guess
Fair enough. I actually agree with you on both counts.

I think I must have just spent too much time in the various VR threads here, where the phrase "YOU JUST CANT COMPARE THEM! THEY ARE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!" gets thrown around a lot, for various reasons.
(If you aren't familiar with those threads...... well..... lucky you).

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
As gaming enthusiasts, the Stadia venom in this forum is so bizarre to me. I think the service is actually pretty damn nice. I would like nothing more than to see it do well. Does it have some work to do as far as features go and game catalog? Sure, but for a system that basically just came out, I have a solid amount of games to play and the best version of Destiny 2 outside of PC. I'm happy, and it looks like I now have a lot to look forward to in 2020.
As for the streaming, issues are damn near nonexistent. In fact, most of the time you'd be hard pressed to tell games are streaming at all!. That's pretty damn impressive if you ask me.

It would be nice to come to Stadia threads and have a dialog with people who enjoy the service as well, like what's coming down the pipe. New announcemeants, service upgrades etc.. instead of seeing it devolve into a dumping ground for those who just want to shit on Google.
The OT is so far the only safe place for actual discussion. One thread is better than none I guess lol

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain

I have a mate who has it and loves it, also says it's the future. Also has a 1GBps connexion.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I have a mate who has it and loves it, also says it's the future. Also has a 1GBps connexion.
Tech is great, would drop consoles in an instant if the libraries were the same.

Google on the other hand is beyond terrible at everything else for the product. I want to hope the radio silence is for a big announcement, but every minor thing we hear from them leads us to believe it is not the case.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
They said the same thing about caps and isps. When presented with an issue it is always up to someone else to solve

But realistically, is it Google's problem to solve everyone's ISP and data cap issues? They are doing what they can on their end to make the best streaming service they can that works for the widest range of audience they can. They even have different performance settings for people who have reduced bandwidth. For a streaming service, what can they do beyond that? Go strong arm all of the ISP's into raising their data caps?

It's the same thing with the video game announcements. If the majority of 120 of these games coming to Stadia this year are multiplatform games, then how is it Google's responsibility to announce/reveal those games? Sure they could be making deals with the publishers to get the exclusive reveal, and perhaps they are, but it's not solely their responsibility to choose when these games get announced.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
But realistically, is it Google's problem to solve everyone's ISP and data cap issues? They are doing what they can on their end to make the best streaming service they can that works for the widest range of audience they can. They even have different performance settings for people who have reduced bandwidth. For a streaming service, what can they do beyond that? Go strong arm all of the ISP's into raising their data caps?

It's the same thing with the video game announcements. If the majority of 120 of these games coming to Stadia this year are multiplatform games, then how is it Google's responsibility to announce/reveal those games? Sure they could be making deals with the publishers to get the exclusive reveal, and perhaps they are, but it's not solely their responsibility to choose when these games get announced.
At this point are we sure they are making deals to get content period? 40 days is a long as time.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
At this point are we sure they are making deals to get content period? 40 days is a long as time.

They announced 120 games coming to the platform in 2020. 10 of those are either exclusive or will be released on Stadia first and will be out in the first half of the year. So they are definitely working on content deals.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They announced 120 games coming to the platform in 2020. 10 of those are either exclusive or will be released on Stadia first and will be out in the first half of the year. So they are definitely working on content deals.
They announced a number, but no specific titles among that number. We also don't know specifically when the exclusivity agreements were committed to.

It's entirely possible that the 120 could be substantially overestimated.