• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not many may remember but SE was one of the first companies to explore Cloud gaming with an off shot company called Shinra which was run by former CEO Wada. It was closed in 2016.
Shinra was closed when Square Enix started working with Ubitus on cloud streaming for games like FFXIIII (iOS, Android) and DQX (3DS, iOS, Android, browser). Ubitus has worked with Capcom, Sega, Ubisoft and others too on streaming console games in Asia.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will just be another option for us gamers. It won't fit all needs snd it won't completwly take over the market but it will have it's fair share of users in 10 years or so. I often see a lot of people worried that streaming will take over the market or something but that won't happen because it's limited to having a good internet connection. I think portable gamers will not use it at all because of battery drain and internet connection issues. I think what will happen is you will have local versions and streaming versions of the same game most of the time. The streaming version will have added performance but you will be able to play the local version just fine. People who want to have access to the streaming version will just pay a subscription fee. Console manufacturers will benefit a lot from streaming because of the subs. I don't think Google stands a chance though. Sony, MS and Nintendo will dominate both local gaming and streaming.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
That's way too optimistic on certain aspects. There might be some savings in running the hardware but manufacturing cost is still there. Instead of sending it to individuals, you're sending it to datacenters. And they're supposedly aimed at being cutting edge so now you're constantly upgrading all that hardware where usually the regular console owner does not as often. Not to mention the higher end parts are more difficult to produce, more waste.

You might be able to run multiple instances for certain workloads, a large number of popular titles push hardware limits far more and would have a more difficult time splitting resources. Does Stadia even do that yet? And you can't just have server hardware used 100% of the time, you would need extra capacity ready at any point at every datacenter for a spike in demand for the billions of users platform owners speculate that they will reach some day. Especially if all the supporters are thinking of pie in the sky features like play now after seeing this Youtube video or processing power not possible locally. Even more machines need to ready to deployed unless you think a service like this can survive seeing queues.

I have no idea how free to play games would even work, it seems like a scaling nightmare. Imagine they end up leveraging using more power through additional servers on top of running the normal game, all that for free? What happens if those games eat up the majority of the resources?

The big difference with hardware sitting at the average house and hardware in a server environment, is that data centers have a protocol to dispose and recycle the hardware, at least that is the case with Google data centers. How many Playstation 1 and 2, Gamecubes or OG Xboxs are currently in the trash, on their way to a landfill or currently there? Another important factor are the things you don't need to build. Look at the plastic casing used on consoles for example, taking Xcloud as a reference, a single server blade has 8 XBox One S, try fitting the same amount of regular Xboxs in the same space and tell me why you wont be able to do it. It is all about being efficient with cooling, space and energy consumption in a data center environment. You can for example push a lot harder any of the current gen consoles if heat would't be a problem inside the small plastic case. One of the biggest factors and one I cannot see how it can be denied or not be recognized by its importance by anyone, is that if someone buys an Xbox One X and plays a game like Cuphead, that is an extreme waste compared to the same hardware being used to cover the needs of 20 (to use a random example) players at the same time. When you start making the same calculations with millions of gamers playing indie games on consoles, it really does give you a different perspective. How about the stores that are needed to sell the physical games/consoles? There are 5,700 Gamestop stores, how much energy is used there? How much energy is spent by traveling to the store and buying the games/consoles, how much energy is spent by the employees of these stores to go to work?

There will surely be peak times when several high performance games need to run at the same time, but it would be crazy to suggest that it is one to one, as it needs to be in a home environment. It is a fact that the average gamer only uses their console around 6 hours a week and we are talking around 200 million current gen consoles, this is the definition of waste. Phil Spencer has already said that they are investigating on how to use the Xcloud hardware for professional use as well and put that hardware to good use and avoid down time when gamers are not playing as much. It has already been confirmed that Stadia uses GPUs capable of virtualization, just imagine playing an indie game with a fully dedicated 10.7TF instance, that would be another definition of waste. I also don't know how free to play games would work, probably they will be placed under the monthly subscription and in my opinion it would make sense if they do. You don't have to buy the console or gaming PC to play the games after all.

"Headlining the new NRDC report is a staggering figure: If the PS4, Wii U and Xbox One replace the 110 million units of PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 consoles that were sold in the U.S. from 2005 through 2013, the total energy use of the three current-generation systems will top 10 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity per year — enough to power all of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city. And that energy total would cost American households $1 billion in annual power bills, with 40 percent of it — $400 million — going to electricity that's wasted while the consoles are in standby mode."

www.polygon.com

40 percent of PS4, Wii U, Xbox One power usage comes in standby mode, report says

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's standby modes and video capabilities are responsible for the vast increases in power usage over their previous-generation versions, according to a new report from...

"RECYCLE: Google maximizes the recycling of all data center materials. For hard drives that can't be resold, Google has a multi-step destruction process designed to further ensure that none of the data can ever be accessed. One step involves a "crusher" that drives a steel piston through the center of the drive, deforming the platters and making them unreadable. The drives are then shredded before the remains are sent along with other electronic waste to a recycling partner for secure processing."

Multiple strategies, including a commitment to find new uses for materials, led to an 86% landfill diversion rate globally for data centers in 2016, with six of Google's 14 data centers reaching 100% diversion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Cloud is a dream for publishers and distributors they will push it as hard as they can and will it into existence if they can. Subscription, no piracy, easy distribution with minimal costs once the infrastructure is made.
This is ultimately why it will happen, and I think eventually cloud gaming can allow for some really exciting possibilities. However, I'm expecting we'll first have to cross a period of time where there is a lot of trial-and-error and anti-consumer shit we have to wade through.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
The big difference with hardware sitting at the average house and hardware in a server environment, is that data centers have a protocol to dispose and recycle the hardware, at least that is the case with Google data centers. How many Playstation 1 and 2, Gamecubes or OG Xboxs are currently in the trash, on their way to a landfill or currently there? Another important factor are the things you don't need to build. Look at the plastic casing used on consoles for example, taking Xcloud as a reference, a single server blade has 8 XBox One S, try fitting the same amount of regular Xboxs in the same space and tell me why you wont be able to do it. It is all about being efficient with cooling, space and energy consumption in a data center environment. You can for example push a lot harder any of the current gen consoles if heat would't be a problem inside the small plastic case. One of the biggest factors and one I cannot see how it can be denied or not be recognized by its importance by anyone, is that if someone buys an Xbox One X and plays a game like Cuphead, that is an extreme waste compared to the same hardware being used to cover the needs of 20 (to use a random example) players at the same time. When you start making the same calculations with millions of gamers playing indie games on consoles, it really does give you a different perspective. How about the stores that are needed to sell the physical games/consoles? There are 5,700 Gamestop stores, how much energy is used there? How much energy is spent by traveling to the store and buying the games/consoles, how much energy is spent by the employees of these stores to go to work?

There will surely be peak times when several high performance games need to run at the same time, but it would be crazy to suggest that it is one to one, as it needs to be in a home environment. It is a fact that the average gamer only uses their console around 6 hours a week and we are talking around 200 million current gen consoles, this is the definition of waste. Phil Spencer has already said that they are investigating on how to use the Xcloud hardware for professional use as well and put that hardware to good use and avoid down time when gamers are not playing as much. It has already been confirmed that Stadia uses GPUs capable of virtualization, just imagine playing an indie game with a fully dedicated 10.7TF instance, that would be another definition of waste. I also don't know how free to play games would work, probably they will be placed under the monthly subscription and in my opinion it would make sense if they do. You don't have to buy the console or gaming PC to play the games after all.

"Headlining the new NRDC report is a staggering figure: If the PS4, Wii U and Xbox One replace the 110 million units of PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360 consoles that were sold in the U.S. from 2005 through 2013, the total energy use of the three current-generation systems will top 10 billion kilowatt-hours of electricity per year — enough to power all of Houston, the nation's fourth-largest city. And that energy total would cost American households $1 billion in annual power bills, with 40 percent of it — $400 million — going to electricity that's wasted while the consoles are in standby mode."

www.polygon.com

40 percent of PS4, Wii U, Xbox One power usage comes in standby mode, report says

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's standby modes and video capabilities are responsible for the vast increases in power usage over their previous-generation versions, according to a new report from...

"RECYCLE: Google maximizes the recycling of all data center materials. For hard drives that can't be resold, Google has a multi-step destruction process designed to further ensure that none of the data can ever be accessed. One step involves a "crusher" that drives a steel piston through the center of the drive, deforming the platters and making them unreadable. The drives are then shredded before the remains are sent along with other electronic waste to a recycling partner for secure processing."

Multiple strategies, including a commitment to find new uses for materials, led to an 86% landfill diversion rate globally for data centers in 2016, with six of Google's 14 data centers reaching 100% diversion.

If you're taking the worst case of people just dumping shit, I mean, companies do that too. Even if you take everything Google says is doing is above board, they're not the only ones in the game. I have no idea why they made the Stadia controller the way they did then though. Also, manufacturing isn't just cases, you're still making the actual computer parts and if you're demanding the latest and greatest all the time, that's additional parts being put into circulation that normally doesn't happen. I already conceded gains from running content from the cloud instead of locally so I'm not sure what you're mostly going on about.

I don't see why some resources like GPU aren't close to being one to one. Not one to one for the entire service but for certain games that end up being popular. Some of these games aren't even running at 4k 60fps right now because the hardware isn't enough, what are you going to virtualize from that? As I mentioned earlier, if things go according to plan for running content you couldn't imagine running locally, some of your gains from running multiple instances on a single machine will be offset pushing other boundaries. I'm just saying it may not scale as well as you think, especially if a solution to part of the problem is free content will get pay gated.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
If you're taking the worst case of people just dumping shit, I mean, companies do that too. Even if you take everything Google says is doing is above board, they're not the only ones in the game. I have no idea why they made the Stadia controller the way they did then though. Also, manufacturing isn't just cases, you're still making the actual computer parts and if you're demanding the latest and greatest all the time, that's additional parts being put into circulation that normally doesn't happen. I already conceded gains from running content from the cloud instead of locally so I'm not sure what you're mostly going on about.

What is this? I almost didn't answer after you clearly showed you didn't read my post. Are we talking about anything else than the sustainability of cloud gaming servers compared to consoles? Didn't I just posted the following from Google?

""RECYCLE: Google maximizes the recycling of all data center materials. For hard drives that can't be resold, Google has a multi-step destruction process designed to further ensure that none of the data can ever be accessed. One step involves a "crusher" that drives a steel piston through the center of the drive, deforming the platters and making them unreadable. The drives are then shredded before the remains are sent along with other electronic waste to a recycling partner for secure processing."

Multiple strategies, including a commitment to find new uses for materials, led to an 86% landfill diversion rate globally for data centers in 2016, with six of Google's 14 data centers reaching 100% diversion."

Take a few minutes to read how Microsoft and Amazon handle recycling on their data centers.

Microsoft Azure:

Amazon AWS:

Controllers are an equal point between all of these companies, but I can't believe you just ignored how by 2016 Goodle had 86% landfill diversion rate globally for data centers and 6 out of their 14 data center are almost at 100% diversion. Why did you ignored how Google handles all of the hardware that does go out of their data centers? Almost all of it is recycled. When they do update their hardware is a good thing, because they reduce energy consumption, while running the same software. Imagine updating every single console with a modular CPU/GPU and how many locations must the hardware be shipped to. Compare that to shipping thousands of CPU/GPUs to a single location, where you know almost 100% of the hardware going out will be recycled.

I don't see why some resources like GPU aren't close to being one to one. Not one to one for the entire service but for certain games that end up being popular. Some of these games aren't even running at 4k 60fps right now because the hardware isn't enough, what are you going to virtualize from that? As I mentioned earlier, if things go according to plan for running content you couldn't imagine running locally, some of your gains from running multiple instances on a single machine will be offset pushing other boundaries. I'm just saying it may not scale as well as you think, especially if a solution to part of the problem is free content will get pay gated.

Because I just said that hardware can be virtualized into lower specs, to run software that doesn't require as much power. If someone is playing Shovel Knight on their Xbox One X, that is a single XBox dedicated to run a single game that does not consume even 5% of the available power, one physical console one game or one to one as I said. Exactly the same Xbox One X hardware can be virtualized into several instances and 20/25 gamers can play the same game, so one console 20 to 25 gamers. Can you please understand how much efficient one is compared to the other? Think about the 100 million PS4 sold and how many are being used at the same time? With the average 6 hour per week play time I can say that the average Playstation 4 is not in use 162 hours a week, 648 hours every month, 7,776 hours every year. Can you please read how 40% of the power consoles consume, is while they are in stand by mode? Can you please take 1 minute out of your time and read that?

www.polygon.com

I can't believe how after reading that someone can compare how millions of consoles on millions of houses can compare to the efficiency of a data center and how it maximizes resources.

www.polygon.com

Compare the 80%+ recycling % for the data centers I mentioned to Germany, which is the most efficient in recycling. With this you can have an idea how people recycle compared to how efficient data centers are.

20160303_Recycling-01.jpg

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"We'll have Tokyo Olympic in the year of 2020, and also the extreme change in entertainment industry will come in next 10 years with the arrival of the streaming and AI. I'd like to create something related to such new media and totally brand new entertainment for the tomorrow."

"I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on there, and that's what I want to take on."

Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer Ken Moss said the developers at DICE could be unshackled by the hardware potential of the cloud and deliver a lifelike rendition of destruction in Battlefield.

"I'm super excited about [streaming], but it's actually one step on a journey. The main difference in cloud is not really that the CPU is sitting in a big building versus being in your living room; the main difference is now you can have dozens or hundreds or thousands or millions of computers that can do stuff to help power the game.

If you apply that to an actual game like Battlefield... DICE prides itself on amazing destruction. They blow stuff up better than anyone. But the simulations they do for destruction are very limited compared to what they would really like to do, because they have a certain amount of GPU and a certain amount of CPU and they have to do it in real time. If they could have a pool of servers up there that can be running our physics engine in Frostbite and be calculating better destruction, it can be like real life.

And you can apply that not just to blowing things up. You can apply that to really every part of the game."

Gwen Frey, indie developer behind Kine.

"It's the best of PC and the best of console. One specific set of hardware, but it's not limited by a specific box. Consoles are a pain in the ass."

Raúl Rubio Munárriz, Creative Director at Tequila Works

"You used to have to allocate resources to AI and physics and that's no longer the case. It's like finding yourself suddenly with no body. Power isn't relevant any more. For developers, that's really good."

David Canela, Project Lead on GYLT.

"It's rare that development goes to 30 or 60fps throughout development, but we had a high framerate for most of it.

The fact you're only streaming video from servers, lag for online games is reduced a lot. They have the machines, they're connected and they are very fast. That's a meaningful change for the future."

"I think that the more interesting question is how stuff like Google Stadia will change things," he says. "In the data center, these machines are connected to each other, and so you could start thinking of doing things like elastic rendering, like make a couple of servers together, to do physics simulations that may not be possible on current local hardware."

www.vg247.com

Larian CEO Swen Vincke believes that streaming technology will achieve what conventional technology cannot

Swen Vincke, the CEO of Divinity developer Larian, is much more excited about streaming and cloud technology than the a…
Ok but that's not what the thread is about, nor was the post I responded to. I never said those people don't exist. What I'm saying is that "this executive says it's happening so it must be true, and his word has more impact because he's an executive" is a poor line of reasoning.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Ok but that's not what the thread is about, nor was the post I responded to. I never said those people don't exist. What I'm saying is that "this executive says it's happening so it must be true, and his word has more impact because he's an executive" is a poor line of reasoning.

I'm not saying you said that these people don't exist, what the heck is that about? You said "It would've been more believable if some dev or some R&D dude talked about this." There you go, I posted some developers talking about this, you are welcome.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Realtime Final Fantasy in-game graphics that look like CGI, and only possible using multiple GPUs, That's how I read it.

Imagine racks of PS5s and XSX where 3-4 instances are used to render the graphics, impossible on a single consumer console, and beyond what high-end PCs can do.

Last edited:

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
Yes, please continue to dangle the carrot of "new experiences" to lure people into paying for a subscription instead of a one time purchase of a physical good.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Realtime Final Fantasy in-game graphics that look like CGI, and only possible using multiple GPUs, That's how I read it.

Imagine racks of PS5s and XSX where 3-4 instances are used to render the graphics, impossible on a single consumer console, and beyond what high-end PCs can do.

Be sure to not think about this as several instances dedicated per user. See it more as several instances cooperating with each other to improve things like physics simulations and AI. So instead of the equivalent of 100 PS5 used on 50 gamers, it is more precise to see this as 50 PS5 working together to run calculations not possible by a single PS5 in a house, for the same 50 gamers. That or the equivalent power of 50 PS5 for 50 gamers, with also 5 dedicated PS5s, to only run the AI or physics simulation on a game. You can see the quote below from the Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer.

Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer Ken Moss said the developers at DICE could be unshackled by the hardware potential of the cloud and deliver a lifelike rendition of destruction in Battlefield.

"I'm super excited about [streaming], but it's actually one step on a journey. The main difference in cloud is not really that the CPU is sitting in a big building versus being in your living room; the main difference is now you can have dozens or hundreds or thousands or millions of computers that can do stuff to help power the game.

If you apply that to an actual game like Battlefield... DICE prides itself on amazing destruction. They blow stuff up better than anyone. But the simulations they do for destruction are very limited compared to what they would really like to do, because they have a certain amount of GPU and a certain amount of CPU and they have to do it in real time. If they could have a pool of servers up there that can be running our physics engine in Frostbite and be calculating better destruction, it can be like real life.

And you can apply that not just to blowing things up. You can apply that to really every part of the game."

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying you said that these people don't exist, what the heck is that about? You said "It would've been more believable if some dev or some R&D dude talked about this." There you go, I posted some developers talking about this, you are welcome.
I said that to underline the fact I think an executives word is worth jack shit. I don't know why you felt prompted to show me people who said those things. If you didn't think I don't know they exist, why show them to me lol. This thread is about executives at SE, and the post I responded to was about exectuives at SE.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I said that to underline the fact I think an executives word is worth jack shit. I don't know why you felt prompted to show me people who said those things. I know those people exist. But this thread is about executives at SE, and the post I responded to was about exectuives at SE.

Dude, what is your problem? If you already knew that what Square Enix said was already supported by other developers, what was the point of asking for a developer saying the same thing to make it more believable? If you as you say were aware of every single comment from the developers I shared? Does it inherently become a lie when a PR person says it and it doesn't matter you already knew other developers basically said the same thing?

I remind you that you replied to a post that said the following: "People here often laugh at the potential of cloud gaming, even when top executives from triple-A companies make such statements.".

With this:
"why should I take the marketing talk of an executive as gospel lol. If anything, the fact they are top exectuives of a AAA company tells me they have little understanding on what's required to make this work."

Are the developers I shared also confused about what they say is possible?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Be sure to not think about this as several instances dedicated per user. See it more as several instances cooperating with each other to improve things like physics simulations and AI. So instead of the equivalent of 100 PS5 used on 50 gamers, it is more precise to see this as 50 PS5 working together to run calculations not possible by a single PS5 in a house, for the same 50 gamers. That or the equivalent power of 50 PS5 for 50 gamers, with also 5 dedicated PS5s, to only run the AI or physics simulation on a game. You can see the quote below from the Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer.

Very interesting, thank you.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude, what is your problem? If you already knew that what Square Enix said was already supported by other developers, what was the point of asking for a developer saying the same thing to make it more believable? If you as you say were aware of every single comment from the developers I shared? Does it inherently become a lie when a PR person says it and it doesn't matter you already knew other developers basically said the same thing?

I remind you that you replied to a post that said the following: "People here often laugh at the potential of cloud gaming, even when top executives from triple-A companies make such statements.".

With this:

Are the developers I shared also confused about what they say is possible?
I didn't "ask" for a developer statement on this. I said the word of a dev is worth more to me than the word of an executive, and that in this instance, the one this thread is about, it's the word of an executive. That's literally all I said. And I never denied those words from devs exist.
I also didn't say I was aware of "every single comment from the devs you shared". What I said is that I'm aware that statements from devs on the matter exist.

I didn't say the PR person is lying, I'm saying that in the past PR people have been full of it and I don't see a reason to put any stock into what this person the thread is about says.

It's hilarious you bolded that part of the sentence I responded to, here let me help you out:

"People here often laugh at the potential of cloud gaming, even when top executives from triple-A companies make such statements.".

That's the part I responded to, and it's pretty evident when you read my response. The "even when top executives" part, like it has any meaning or makes things more valid, was what I responded to.
You seem really invested in this topic, but that doesn't mean you know better what part of that post I responded to than I did.
I never said the devs are wrong or "confused". I said the executives have little understanding. You're being way too defensive about this, reading a shitton of stuff into my post that isn't there, at all. I don't know what other discussions you have with people regarding this, but it seems you instantly jumped to conclusions based on your prior experiences.
Just turn it down a notch, I'm not even disagreeing with you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I didn't "ask" for a developer statement on this. I said the word of a dev is worth more to me than the word of an executive, and that in this instance, the one this thread is about, it's the word of an executive. That's literally all I said.
I also didn't say I was aware of "every single comment from the devs you shared". What I said is that I'm aware that statements from devs on the matter exist.

I didn't say the PR person is lying, I'm saying that in the past PR people have been full of it and I don't see a reason to put any stock into what this person the thread is about says.

It's hilarious you bolded that part of the sentence I responded to, here let me help you out:

That's the part I responded to, and it's pretty evident when you read my response. You seem really invested in this topic, but that doesn't mean you know better what part of that post I responded to than I did.

I never said the devs are wrong. I said the executives have little understanding. You're being way too defensive about this, reading stuff into my post that isn't there, at all.

"executives have little understanding" when saying the same things you already knew developers are saying? That makes a lot of sense buddy. Good luck with that logic. You have 3 developers saying the sky is blue and you are aware of that, then comes a PR person and also says the sky is blue and your answer to that is "it would make it more believable if some developer says that the sky is blue, because executives have little understanding about the sky. Replace the sky is blue with "the power of the cloud is true". I won't answer to more post from you my friend.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"executives have little understanding" when saying the same things you already knew developers are saying? That makes a lot of sense buddy. Good luck with that logic. You have 3 developers saying the sky is blue and you are aware of that, then comes a PR person and also says the sky is blue and your answer to that is "it would make it more believable if some developer says that the sky is blue, because executives have little understanding about the sky. Replace the sky is blue with "the power of the cloud is true". I won't answer to more post from you my friend.
My point was that PR people would say that shit regardless. I'm really sorry I didn't jump in extacy because you shared a PR spokespersons "wisdom" with us, even if he's by default not wrong.

You're way, way too fucking defensive over this stuff. Like god damn, I didn't even disagree with any of your takes in here. But now I'm some kind of persona non grata to you because you preferred to read 10 different things into my post.

You do you, your way of approaching things will get you far. I prefer to not indulge in "discussions" with unreasonable people, either. Have a nice day.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
My point was that PR people would say that shit regardless. I'm really sorry I didn't jump in extacy because you shared a PR spokespersons "wisdom" with us, even if he's by default not wrong.

You're way, way too fucking defensive over this stuff. Like god damn, I didn't even disagree with any of your takes in here. But now I'm some kind of persona non grata to you because you preferred to read 10 different things into my post.

You do you, your way of approaching things will get you far. I prefer to not indulge in "discussions" with unreasonable people, either. Have a nice day.

I got banned because I replied too much to another user that was dishonest as heck. I have little patience with this. I already made my point as clear as possible with you. At least on this subject I wont be replying more to you.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got banned because I replied too much to another user that was dishonest as heck. I have little patience with this. I already made my point as clear as possible with you. At least on this subject I wont be replying more to you.
Even if you won't replay just let me say this:
It seems that you now see that dishonesty everywhere even when there isn't any. I didn't disagree with anything you said outside of our conversation. I didn't say these devs statements don't exist. I didn't say devs stating these things are wrong or "confused".

The very fact you bolded that part of the message I responded to tells me you interpreted way too much into my response, because I, in fact, didn't adress or disagree with that portion of that post in any shape or form. But that's seemingly what prompted you to start seeing things in my post that weren't there.

Again, just take it down a notch. Take care.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Remember it benefits Square Enix for streaming to be the dominant form of delivery as it means they don't have to pay licensing fees to platform holders to access their audience.

Square won't ever talk down cloud gaming for this reason.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'll believe it when I see it.

Right now, the majority of (non-streaming) games released do not actually offer gaming experiences that wouldn't have been possible on older hardware/previous console generations. I have my doubts this will suddenly change with cloud gaming.

I think the most potential is in multiplayer games with a lot of players where processing power can actually be shared instead of being wasted by being calculated on each individual machine. Though this isn't really new either, just the same thing the Xbox One was advertised with. They could have invested in cloud gaming a lot sooner.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Ok, but what servers are they using?

Yes server costs are important but probably less than licensing fees.

Taking the 'industry standard' 30% cut as an example for a hypothetical:

e.g: FF7 Remake sells approx: 5 million copies @ $60 average selling price.

$300m total revenue of which almost $100m goes to platform holders.

I doubt Square likes that arrangement (but they don't have a choice) and I'm almost certain the cloud cost is cheaper than license fees.

Do you think I'm wrong?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes server costs are important but probably less than licensing fees.

Taking the 'industry standard' 30% cut as an example for a hypothetical:

e.g: FF7 Remake sells approx: 5 million copies @ $60 average selling price.

$300m total revenue of which almost $100m goes to platform holders.

I doubt Square likes that arrangement (but they don't have a choice) and I'm almost certain the cloud cost is cheaper than license fees.

Do you think I'm wrong?

Yes, Sony takes 30%. Thats not wrong.

But lets use your cloud example.

Square has to go somewhere to put their game on the cloud.

So they go to Stadia. Stadia has to maintain that game as well. Patch it. Provide bandwidth to players of that game 24/7. If its multiplayer, facilitate that as well.

So what? Google is taking a 2% cut? We don't know what the cut is at this point. You say you're almost certain but based on what?

Stadia is doing the same thing Playstation is doing in regards to maintaining the game. Nothing is different. Its even worse because Google has to provide bandwidth consistently.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"Cloud gaming will meanwhile dictate that the industry devise gaming experiences unique to the cloud environment and develop cloud-native games."

"The market for software for consumer game consoles looks poised for further growth given the launch of multiple streaming services and the fact that next-generation consoles are slated for release in 2020. In addition, the various styles of monetization, such as free-to-play, in-game purchases, and subscriptions have also spread to the market for software for consumer game consoles, making for a greater diversity of
business models. As the launch of 5G cellular networks accelerates these trends and full-fledged cloud streaming platforms come online, a new age is likely to begin."

cloudywithachanceofgames.com

Square Enix "Launch of Multiple Streaming Services" coming Soon and Cloud Only Games

The Square Enix financial report has come out today and there is some interesting reading for Cloud Gaming enthusiasts. Square Enix is fully committed and one could say all-in in cloud gaming with the talk in their report. They see cloud gaming to take off especially when 5G becomes more...

Jun 1, 2018
"Cloud gaming will meanwhile dictate that the industry devise gaming experiences unique to the cloud environment and develop cloud-native games."

"The market for software for consumer game consoles looks poised for further growth given the launch of multiple streaming services and the fact that next-generation consoles are slated for release in 2020. In addition, the various styles of monetization, such as free-to-play, in-game purchases, and subscriptions have also spread to the market for software for consumer game consoles, making for a greater diversity of
business models. As the launch of 5G cellular networks accelerates these trends and full-fledged cloud streaming platforms come online, a new age is likely to begin."

cloudywithachanceofgames.com

Square Enix "Launch of Multiple Streaming Services" coming Soon and Cloud Only Games

The Square Enix financial report has come out today and there is some interesting reading for Cloud Gaming enthusiasts. Square Enix is fully committed and one could say all-in in cloud gaming with the talk in their report. They see cloud gaming to take off especially when 5G becomes more...
Weird blog website but I feel like we have been hearing this for ages. How exactly would those "unique" cloud experiences look like? We heard back when watch dogs 1 was announced that the game would be better on xbox thanks to the power of the cloud. i think we need to see some real life case studys to see whats gonna be so unique about cloud games.

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Weird blog website but I feel like we have been hearing this for ages. How exactly would those "unique" cloud experiences look like? We heard back when watch dogs 1 was announced that the game would be better on xbox thanks to the power of the cloud. i think we need to see some real life case studys to see whats gonna be so unique about cloud games.

They share a direct link to the report if you want to read the info straight from the source. Don't remember the Watch Dogs 1 example. We have already seen multiple developers talking about what is possible. Enhanced physics, AI, persistent world's, all kinds of simulation. It's just a matter of time, as several games that will take advantage of this are already in development.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Yeah SE has been saying this for a bit. I think it just means Stadia specific games or maybe streaming specific features in games. IDK about a AAA cloud only game or anything like that.

Also isn't FF14 technically a cloud game?

OP
OP
Alucardx23

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Yeah SE has been saying this for a bit. I think it just means Stadia specific games or maybe streaming specific features in games. IDK about a AAA cloud only game or anything like that.

"The main difference in cloud is not really that the CPU is sitting in a big building versus being in your living room; the main difference is now you can have dozens or hundreds or thousands or millions of computers that can do stuff to help power the game," Electronic Arts Chief Technology Officer Ken Moss told GamesIndustry.

"If you apply that to an actual game like Battlefield… DICE prides itself on amazing destruction. They blow stuff up better than anyone. But the simulations they do for destruction are very limited compared to what they would really like to do, because they have a certain amount of GPU and a certain amount of CPU and they have to do it in real time. If they could have a pool of servers up there that can be running our physics engine in Frostbite and be calculating better destruction, it can be like real life.

"And you can apply that not just to blowing things up. You can apply that to really every part of the game."

https://gamingbolt.com/battlefield-...e-real-life-once-powered-by-the-cloud-ea-says

"I think that the more interesting question is how stuff like Google Stadia will change things," he says. "In the data center, these machines are connected to each other, and so you could start thinking of doing things like elastic rendering, like make a couple of servers together, to do physics simulations that may not be possible on current local hardware."

https://www.vg247.com/2019/07/08/larian-ceo-streaming-technology/

"Kojima thinks that streaming will change games. This is something that Google has talked about in regards to its Stadia platform. When games run on a massive server in the cloud, they shed some of the limitations of running on a box under your television. That could enable more persistent worlds. Or shared environments where every player action makes a permanent effect for others to discover or deal with.

"I'm very interested in the new format of game that will appear on [streaming]," said Kojima. "And that's what I want to take on."

venturebeat.com

After Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima wants to make a game in the cloud

Hideo Kojima is going to begin moving on from Death Stranding soon, and he's looking at making movies and a cloud-streaming game.

"From a game development perspective as well, we will strive to create gaming experiences only possible in the cloud, meaning developing cloud-native or cloud-centric games. For cloud streaming to enjoy mass adoption, there will need to be innovation not only in terms of distribution, but also in terms of gaming experiences. We believe that new gaming experiences that would have been impossible on traditional game consoles will be a major driver of cloud gaming adoption. Our efforts to develop cloud-native or cloud-centric titles are already underway, and we will strive to create new gaming experiences."

wccftech.com

Square Enix Is Heavily Into Cloud Gaming, While Nintendo Is More Interested in Augmented Reality

The presidents of Square Enix and Nintendo have spoken with regards to the companies' interest in cloud gaming and AR, respectively.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Not really. The game itself runs on the user's device, connecting to S-E's servers to perfirm necessary functions. What we refer to as a "cloud game" (in the sense of something running on a Stadia or xCloud) is something where all the game's processing and rendering is done on a remote server and the resulting output is delivered to the client via a video feed, requiring a much simplier (and less resource-demanding) user client.

S-E could port FF14 to run on a cloud system (and it may very well run on xCloud when the Xbox port arrives) but the structure of the game would the same, where clients depend on one of several central servers to operate.