• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Having listened to the music from the demo, I can only really pick out two of the tracks Hamauzu may have done; the VR one listed above, and going by the file name of another it was for a cutscene. It sounded good, very Hamauzu, but probably not what you would think of when you think FFVII. But I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. I mean, this game is only really the first 5 hours or so of the original game extended to 30 or so; they need new music somewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hamauzu is primarily working on the cinematics. He is by far the best composer they have for that. And I just listened to that cutscene track and it's all music from Dirge of Cerberus (possibly rearranged).

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Mitsuto. Hamauzu's ambient stuff is some of my favorite music in the series, so happy that he's involved.
This is very good then. Can't wait to hear the full soundtrack.

Hamauzu is really good at crafting music for cutscenes so I hope he should at least be involved in that

Remember that scene in FF13? I teared up with the music alone (48:23)

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Hamauzu is primarily working on the cinematics. He is by far the best composer they have for that. And I just listened to that cutscene track and it's all music from Dirge of Cerberus (possibly rearranged).
Is that particular track available on youtube? (at least what is the name)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The WOFF soundtrack was really nice.

Wouldn't know. Never played it, never will. The few tracks I've heard around the internet didn't excite me either.

Honestly whenever someone judges a soundtrack by how much they can remember the melody of certain tracks, it just makes me think they have poor or selective memory. It's pretty unreliable too cause everyone will remember things differently and there's also the fact that any ear worm can stay in your brain regardless of actual quality.

As a vocalist, the kinds of music I enjoy generally tend to feature driving melodies. That's the kind of music I like listening to - I'm not interested in stuff that's entirely driven by rhythm or background tracks. I want memorable tunes when I'm playing an RPG, so I can look back on particular moments and areas and have the sound of those areas and scenes remind me of the journey.

My gold standard for Final Fantasy music is Uematsu's score for FFVI because it structurally and musically resembles a gigantic opera. The final scene on the Floating Continent has been burned into my memory because of the music and the dialogue. As far as Shimomura's concerned, Terra's theme from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep morphing into a dark yet heroic echo with Rage Awakened will stick with me for another decade at least, and Ruined Earth Painting from Legend of Mana is an incredible little piece of music that's great to listen to both within the boundaries of its original game and without.

Hamauzu can be technically proficient all he wants - I'm not saying he's a bad musician - but I don't enjoy his style and I don't enjoy listening to his work. That's the long and short of it.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
This is very good then. Can't wait to hear the full soundtrack.

Hamauzu is really good at crafting music for cutscenes so I hope he should at least be involved in that

Remember that scene in FF13? I teared up with the music alone (48:23)

Yeah this was incredible, the pauses were perfect. I wish they continued the track in the battle too.

Oct 31, 2017
Omg we're page 6 and people are STILL saying "OMG WHAT DISGUSTING FILTH SAYS THEY DON'T LIKE HAMAUZU??"

Get the hell over it! Why are y'all so annoying?

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh

Ah, you're right. I haven't played Dirge or listened to its soundtrack before but looking it up it's definitely from that. I actually didn't know he did its soundtrack until earlier this week, so I guess his music could actually make people think of FFVII if they hear it if they had previously played Dirge.

Is that particular track available on youtube? (at least what is the name)

Part of it was this:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I never liked XIII even remotely but the music always sounded great to me.

JFC people

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, you're right. I haven't played Dirge or listened to its soundtrack before but looking it up it's definitely from that. I actually didn't know he did its soundtrack until earlier this week, so I guess his music could actually make people think of FFVII if they hear it if they had previously played Dirge.

Part of it was this:

Oh yeah! Wasn't it a mix of this one and "Messenger of the Dark"?! I don't think they were re-arranged though.

I guess that should have been a giveaway Hamauzu might have been on it but I though tthat was a stretch

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I never liked XIII even remotely but the music always sounded great to me.

JFC people

Why can't you just say "XIII's music has always sounded great to me"?

Why do you have to throw in that you don't like XIII?

And why are y'all forgetting how incredibly subjective music is? Let them hate Hamauzu it's really not a big deal

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
To be honest, PlanetSmasher, if I made the same comment about Hitoshi Sakimoto (I truly dislike his style) I'd likely be eviscerated around here, too. 🤣

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, PlanetSmasher, if I made the same comment about Hitoshi Sakimoto (I truly dislike his style) I'd likely be eviscerated around here, too. 🤣

Hah, my opinion on Sakimoto is super complex. I don't like the FFXII score (or FFXII itself) at all but there are a couple of tracks from FFT that I truly love. And Blasphemous Experiment from Tactics Ogre was so good they ported it completely untouched into FFXIV:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Weird!! I somehow thought I had heard Uematsu was handling the music but based on this thread he doesn't arrange and only did the song.
Wasn't Uematsu the one who did all those albums for FF8/9 piano, remix etc??
Anyways, this would scare me but everything I have heard so far has been amazing :)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Weird!! I somehow thought I had heard Uematsu was handling the music but based on this thread he doesn't arrange and only did the song.
Anyways, this would scare me but everything I have heard so far has been amazing :)

Well, Uematsu DID compose the soundtrack. The people working on this game are mostly arranging his pre-existing work from the original VII game. There will probably be some new music and that stuff will be composed by the new folks.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

No, piano collections and orchestral arrangements are all done by different people.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
The only orchestration for VII that has sounded proper is Shiro Hamaguchi's arrangements and the gorgeous Sienna Wind versions supervised by Nobuo

God I wish all the Remake music was like that. But what we will get does not seem bad. BTW you can find the full album with more tracks than in the video on youtube, search for BRA★BRA FINAL FANTASY VII BRASS de BRAVO.

Last edited:

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Seeing as almost all of those have rearranged songs for other games I'm fine with this. Their arrangements in those other games are pretty great and what I've heard in the trailers for the remake has been good so far, I'm on board.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I feel like this thread has slowly shifted to a Hamauzu thread XD.

Either ways I'm glad Suzuki is on the list. Blew my mind with his FFXV pieces.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they got some good guys in on it, definitely looking forward to the new stuff!

Now, when are we going to get the rest of the English VA cast?

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Musical taste is extremely subjective. If everyone liked the same music, we'd still be listening to people playing on lutes.
Oh definitely. I personally have very strong negative opinions about one of the KHIII composers on the list. And also, I can't understand how people could actually like that person. I imagine that must be how it is with you and Hamauzu. So I get it.

But you're still wrong. 😆

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Hamauzu is top tier. Those saying he ain't great don't know what they're talking about.

I will say that his style may not suit FF7, but every trailer released so far has proved that wrong.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
opinions and all but i find this arrangement incredible. The violin alone transports me to heaven

I think it completely changes the overall mood of the original track.

Other tracks that are vastly inferior to the original versions:

Shortly after a minute in, the amazing "crunch" of the original track is completely missing from the remaster.

There is too much going on in the new remastered version. Right from the very start, the mood is shifted.

A Contest of Aeons is another one that isn't as bad but still rubs me the wrong way.

Remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXt0B8nDRQ
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c56Fjc0O2Y&t=168s

A little after 1:17 when the most epic piece of the song begins, it just doesn't have the same kick as the original.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it completely changes the overall mood of the original track.

Other tracks that are vastly inferior to the original versions:

Shortly after a minute in, the amazing "crunch" of the original track is completely missing from the remaster.

There is too much going on in the new remastered version. Right from the very start, the mood is shifted.

A Contest of Aeons is another one that isn't as bad but still rubs me the wrong way.

Remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABXt0B8nDRQ
Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c56Fjc0O2Y&t=168s

A little after 1:17 when the most epic piece of the song begins, it just doesn't have the same kick as the original.

The remake messed up Seymour's Theme too. It sounded like they completely took the core melody out.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The remake messed up Seymour's Theme too.

Yep.

I don't think it's bad but I don't think there was a need to change the songs the way they did.

The Kingdom Hearts remasters do a better job, though even then I was disappointed in some aspects but even then I prefer some of the original tracks, like "Tension Rising" for example.

Do the KH remasters offer the original music like FFX on PS4 does? I don't remember the option.