Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Anime News Network were just able to get a statement from Square Enix involving DQ Composer Koichi Sugiyama's appearance on a Far Right TV program laughing at the idea of people of the LBTQ+ community killing themselves for being useless.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...t-composer-2015-anti-lgbtq-statements/.134974

The views of an individual do not reflect the views nor efforts of the company. SQUARE ENIX employs a global multicultural staff of various beliefs, sexual orientations and gender identities. As a matter of policy we do not condone discrimination or harassment of any kind and we respect the diversity of sexuality and gender identity of everyone around the world.

Pretty run of the mill statement but, of course,

When asked, Square Enix declined to say whether or not it will continue its relationship with Sugiyama for future Dragon Quest installments.

Still, I say it's something especially for those who thought it would do no good bringing it up. They're going to be thinking of this when development of DQXII starts.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I am truly shocked they said anything. Didn't realize this had gained enough traction. Not surprised they aren't getting rid of an old employee to such a successful franchise.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Unless they sever ties, they're condoning his views by continuing to work with him. I doubt this happens because loyalty and history take precedence over all else, sadly.

This PR statement is a whole lot of nothing, but it speaks volumes that they don't explicitly condemn Sugiyama.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they even said anything. Though of course the statement is going to be fairly standard.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they might have been better off not saying anything, because they're really just calling attention to the fact that they know and aren't going to respond.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we will only know If Square Will stop working with him, when they start making dq12 It Will take a while.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, that's an empty fucking statement if I ever saw one. Guess I'm buying XI used.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Unfortunately the guy seems to have way too much power in one of their most lucrative franchises. One can only hope for him to retire.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think LGBT hate could be the last straw for Sugiyama and SE. The war crimes denial is more easily swept under the rug, since not many paid attention, and it's more or less a Japan/region specific issue. On the other hand, SE has a large fanbase worldwide that no doubt includes many LGBT people/supporters, and his comments in this regard are more easily parsed and passed around on social media.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much said nothing haha. And it seems like they're going to continue working with him until he retires.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's not an employee, they can't "fire" him and DQ11 is already done. It's a dry statement but they distanced themselves as much as they can given the circumstances. I'm surprised they responded at all.

Oct 25, 2017
Which Square-Enix did they talk to, though? That second part sounds like the person answering them just couldn't make any decisions on that matter, and just gave the standard PR response.

I'm assuming they talked to the Eidos people?

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand it's good they took this seriously enough to respond but on the other hand they clearly don't care enough to do anything but give an empty statement.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Japanese or even the darker sides of Western communities would react if they were to sever ties with Sugiyama because of this? I can only imagine it wouldn't be as well received as on ResetEra.
It sucks.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I mean, I wasn't expecting them to say anything, really.

Like they said, it's just an awful guy and does not represent the entire team that worked on DQXI.

I could never imagine myself not playing a game on release date just for 1 person.
If the company itself is nasty, that's another story but that is not the case so oh well.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they dont care enough. Their non answer is more than enough to inform my purchasing decision.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
It seems that SQEX are afraid that his remarks will affect the already troubled launch of DQXI

Oct 25, 2017
Nothingburger statement, but I'm amazed they made one at all. Good on ANN for at least making that happen. I don't expect them to drop him since he basically partly owns DQ, etc. But, they're at least aware of pushback.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Japanese or even the darker sides of Western communities would react if they were to sever ties with Sugiyama because of this? I can only imagine it wouldn't be as well received as on ResetEra.
It sucks.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the hesitation.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I wasn't expecting an answer, honestly. But I wish they said they'd be donating a portion of their profit with DQ 11 to pro-LGBT organizations in Japan, to compensate for their partnership with that man.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
While I'm glad they did respond yeah, it doesn't exactly carry much weight. At least we know they've discussed it internally, hopefully they'll clamp down soon. Honestly, this, combined with his refusal to let orchestrated scores be in the games, paints a picture where working with him is hell. He's likely only still around thanks to co-ownership or traditional obligation.

Modern Square Enix LOVES to merchandise (the DQXI protagonist is even getting a high quality figure!) and Sugiyama seems like a liability on the soundtrack front.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
You can't fire him but you can sure sever ties for future games. Ridiculous statement.

Donkusei

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent):Community whining, dismissive/derogatory language. Junior account.
It seems that SQEX are afraid that his remarks will affect the already troubled launch of DQXI

People just want to play the game, that's all. And they will like the musics (or not). That's just a SJW Resetera story.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
There's unfortunately a lot more to ending ties with a long-term contractor than just saying "We will no longer work with him." Impossible to know what sort of contract or deal they have worked out, especially when it comes to use of his work in past titles.

Pretty classic PR statement, what will be telling is what Square Enix decides to do moving forward.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There goes my purchase of Dragon Quest and any future Square Enix game until they sever ties.
Then you will never play a Square Enix game ever again because there is no way they'll drop him.

Well, it's something,which is ever so slightly better than nothing.

Hopefully the game will sell more than 4 copies... or rather 3 now.
I'd actually say it's worse, because their complacency is more disappointing than their apathy. Regardless, I'm amazed they commented at all.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Hes not some official business partner and they can't get 'rid' of him in the traditional sense.
It's amazing how some people here still don't understand that. Good on SE for acknowledging it and making a statement. Even if they had said nothing it wouldn't have changed my decision on buying DQXI.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Sugiyama is involved in any future DQ projects.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Get rid of him, Square. He's a terrible human being, and also he actively sabotages your products with his MIDI tracks only bullshit. There are a lot of talented music composers in the games industry, a lot of them work for you. Get rid of this man. If you don't, you are implicitly condoning his views.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
This is really disappointing, and it makes me feel conflicted about playing DQXI. I mean, I already bought it, but anytime I start enjoying the music in the game I'm just going to think about this guy's awful views.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which Square-Enix did they talk to, though? That second part sounds like the person answering them just couldn't make any decisions on that matter, and just gave the standard PR response.

I'm assuming they talked to the Eidos people?

Considering that ANN reached them, it's probably Square Enix Europe, not Japan. So yes, it would be "Eidos".

"Please, let's just wait until he dies of old age so we can get the rights to his work."

Eh, even then that wouldn't be possible since Sugiyama's rights would be on his company, not on Square Enix. I don't think the problem will end even if he dies, depending on how the people on that company are.

By not getting rid of his ass they are saying they are okay with discrimination. Fuck off.

They cannot get rid of his ass since he have the copyright of the music on the series. It's the exact reason for why the statement is like that since they need to work with him.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how some people here still don't understand that. Good on SE for acknowledging it and making a statement. Even if they had said nothing it wouldn't have changed my decision on buying DQXI.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Sugiyama is involved in any future DQ projects.

They can...you know...stop working with him.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
It's literally nothing. Still gonna refrain from buying DQXI, I guess. I was pretty determined to make this my first DQ game, but I'm not gonna support that asshat.