Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Some in Massachusetts have speculated that Ms. Pressley could play the role of television surrogate for Ms. Warren, serving as a progressive ally who would implicitly counteract perceptions of her campaign as geared toward white elites. Ms. Ocasio-Cortez, Ms. Omar, and Ms. Tlaib are helping play a similar role for Mr. Sanders, and have held rallies with him in their respective home districts of New York City, Minneapolis, and Detroit.

In Massachusetts, where the congressional delegation only comprises Democrats and where a contentious Senate primary is currently underway, Ms. Pressley's endorsement speaks to the high-stakes political game of who to back — and when. Ms. Pressley was not a part of the initial round of home-state endorsements during Ms. Warren's campaign launch earlier this year, leading to speculation that she would sit out the presidential primary or back Ms. Harris, the 2020 race's only black woman.

Instead, Ms. Pressley joined Ms. Warren's cause, politically cementing the informal friendship that has existed among them for years.

Nice get for Warren, Pressley is a badass and will make an excellent surrogate.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bet she's eyeing that Senate seat if Warren ends up going all the way.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Not that endorsing Warren is bad, but of "The Squad," her being the only one not endorsing Sanders is lol. Pressley has given mixed signals about where intentions lie, and she has voted inconsistently with progressive ideals. I'm not fond of her as a politician.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I'm confused on how shes actually a squad member. And yeah, that BDS vote. OOF
I'm pretty sure #thesquad is just a hashtag used by AOC on their first day in office and it was accompanied by a picture of the 4 of them. Nothing more really. It just kind of went viral, but I don't think it was supposed to have any deeper meaning

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
Not super surprising, she's in MA, probably wants the Senate seat, and dumped a massive pile of shade on Sanders during the 2016 primary cycle when she supported Clinton (that video resurfaced this year). As long as she's not going for Biden or Mayo Pete reasonable people shouldn't have much of an issue with it. Hopefully the harder core Sanders stans will stay off her neck.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Not that endorsing Warren is bad, but of "The Squad," her being the only one not endorsing Sanders is lol. Pressley has given mixed signals about where intentions lie, and she has voted inconsistently with progressive ideals. I'm not fond of her as a politician.
"Voted inconsistently with progressive ideals" is something you could probably argue the same for any of them. Definitely for Ilhan Omar.
But it's beside the point, because Pressley endorsing the very progressive Warren is not inconsistent in any way. Pressley has a connection with Warren and is from her state as well.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given she's from MA and sat out when the other 3 endorsed Sanders this was expected.
She's from Massachusetts.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Read roughly half of the replies to that tweet.

i see a lot of folks thanking her, and a few ones that are just vaguely quoting bernie sanders, and a few that are from Incredibly Smart People Who Just Don't Trust Warren, For Some Reason, Even Though She And Sanders Have Voted Together 95% Of The Time They've Been In Congress Together, but none of that really explains why this is a betrayal

edit: there also seems to be a lot of cheering for AOC's reply, which is simply a heart emoji

OP
OP

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It tells a pattern that she doesn't seem to want to move as left as AOC, Omar, and Tlaib.
That's a really broad statement that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Omar's genocide vote last week signals that she's not as left in some very important ways (the same can be said about Sanders with regard to his spotty record on guns).

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
expected. she's always been to the right of the rest of the Squad politically (see: her BDS vote), and as others have noted, she'd be in a good position to get Warren's Senate seat if she wins

anyway, AOC's reply is appropriate and good politics, doesn't really make sense for anyone on the Bernie side to get mad about this

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
Not surprised that she would back the senator from her state. I also didn't think that she would endorse Bernie this time around since she backed Clinton the last time.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
tbh though the response to this is quite a bit more tepid than the response to (other endorsement announcements from freshmen representatives that supra is referencing), so what i'm saying is that "no, they don't suddenly matter and the point you're trying to make is kind of falling flat"

in conclusion, stream king princess's new hit album cheap queen, available on spotify and apply music and probably other streaming services that i have never heard of

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to move the needle at all, but it's big for Warren in that it gives her a woman of color surrogate who can get media attention.