• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
F0wzrXy.png

So what is happening here?

Kratos dies?
Damn foreboding but atleast we know they are really thinking ahead with what they want to do with the series (Stares at new trilogy of Halo)

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care what people say. About a shitty honey moon period or the game isn't as good as DMC or Bayonetta.

The Blades of Chaos scene THE ENTIRE thing has elevated this to the game of fucking forever. It's so badass. Anyone else thinks it was balls out awesome?
I love that moment. I was from the beginning more into the combat of this game than any of the games before even I did think it lacked a bit of the same flashiness(maybe not quite the right word) of the old games. But in that moment it totally got that back on top being part of a combat system I enjoy a lot more. Just an awesome scene/moment.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't care what people say. About a shitty honey moon period or the game isn't as good as DMC or Bayonetta.

The Blades of Chaos scene THE ENTIRE thing has elevated this to the game of fucking forever. It's so badass. Anyone else thinks it was balls out awesome?
I don't have the emotional connection with this series as I would like. Hell, I only vaguely remember playing GoW3.

And that scene make tear a little with joy.
It was that good. Very effective in execution.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Agree the blades of chaos build up was awesome....but overall the other god of wars were better games imo....this game really only has a few really good set pieces....the Baldur battle went on for too long and the boss fights were literally the same bosses. ..just reskinned

The ending was a nice touch but I can't really be fucked going back and having my shit pushed in my the valkire

The game is undoubtedly setup of dlc so e3 is gonna be interesting

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Agree the blades of chaos build up was awesome....but overall the other god of wars were better games imo....this game really only has a few really good set pieces....the Baldur battle went on for too long and the boss fights were literally the same bosses. ..just reskinned

The ending was a nice touch but I can't really be fucked going back and having my shit pushed in my the valkire

The game is undoubtedly setup of dlc so e3 is gonna be interesting
I find this the best God of War game. The whole new direction is perfect to me and I'm enjoying every bit of it. The game is actually setup for a sequel not just dlc

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game a couple days ago. Thought it was great, and decided to finally post my thoughts.

Things I liked:
  • It was a smart idea bringing Kratos back. I was all for a hard reboot a few years ago, but I actually think this worked to the game's benefit. There's a lot of subtle stuff in the story that is only possible because you're controlling someone who massacred a bunch of gods. The initial fight with Baldur is a good example of that. Everyone is picking a fight with the wrong guy, and they just don't appreciate how much of a force he can be. (Baldur's constant screams of, "Why won't you die?" towards the end of the game.)
  • The story hinges on everything Kratos. He clearly resents his past and what has happened, so it allows us to appreciate his new demeanor a little more. That's because we spent that journey with him and have seen what he did. It also builds a lot of interest for who his wife was because it makes you wonder how she had such a major influence on him. It's evident in the game he cares for her a lot. Looking forward to seeing more of this.
  • The simplicity of the story is welcome as it allows you to build a better connection with this new world and Kratos and his son. The story is just them trying to scatter Faye's ashes.
  • The combat is fantastic. It feels satisfying and there's a lot of interesting combinations you can pull off once you get some more skills. Atreus also integrates into it well. And obviously we have to mention, the Blades of Chaos. Just when you think you've seen it all, this comes out of nowhere. A return to the past, but also amazing to use. One thing I really want to commend them on is the difference between the Leviathan Axe and the Blades of Chaos. When you use the Leviathan Axe, it's a lot of fun but Kratos doesn't quite seem like the God-killer he was. But as soon as you get those Blades, it's insane. You get right back to that feeling of this dude being such an unstoppable force. They're just something special.
  • The entire sequence of Kratos getting the Blades of Chaos back is the best moment in the game. Just incredibly well done really. It comes after a long time of you fighting with the Axe, and suddenly, the whole ball game changes. Can't say enough how well implemented this whole thing was.
  • The puzzles worked. They're not too complicated, nor are they brain dead. Most importantly, they don't get in the way of affecting the pacing of the game too much.
  • The game does a good job of introducing you to this new mythology. We're given some key bits of information and left with enough mystery. Mimir was a nice touch because he's just a world building companion essentially. And he's there to banter too. I also liked several of the new characters, even if there aren't many in the game. It's small in scope, but I think it works since this is clearly set-up.
  • The boss battles were great. All of them. Baldur, The Dragon, Thor's sons, Balur 2 and Baldur 3.
  • Visuals were fantastic. I think this doesn't even need to be said, but I'll say it anyway.
  • The pacing is pretty good, but could be better between that stretch of Baldur and The Mountain.
  • Game is a nice length. I didn't do any side-content and it took me about 18 hours, I think. Impossible to say since this game doesn't have an actual counter of playtime, but that's about what I could glean from my play sessions.
  • I didn't bother going to Niflheim or the Muspelheim. They're optional realms and I figure we'll go to them in future entries. So I'll just wait until then. But there is a lot of optional stuff in this game from the looks of it.
Things I disliked:
  • Not enough boss battles. There are 5 major boss battles in the game, and I think the stretch between Baldur and The Dragon is too long. There's a good 5-7 hours there where you go without a big boss battle. Since 3 of these 5 are against Baldur, it does feel like there's a lack of variety here. They should've had something more memorable in Alfheim at the very least.
  • Not enough plot. I like the story in general, but I do think this game spends a lot of time laying the groundwork for what's to come. That's not a bad thing, but it does come at the expense of this game.
  • Soundtrack didn't really stand out aside from two tracks (the main theme and what I'm assuming is Faye's song or something).
  • Camera is a pain when it gets crazy. They need to allow you to tweak it. If you could move it a bit further back, it'd do wonders.
  • Atreus can really be annoying if you take too long doing certain things. He comes out with over the top snark. Just shut the hell up.
Things I don't think really mattered:
  • The whole one shot thing. There are some moments where the game is obviously working around this. When you go between realms and the screen goes white for example. I assumed this meant the camera would always focus on Kratos, but that's not the case. It moves around; it just doesn't have breaks except for those few moments between realms. Frankly, this isn't necessary. It doesn't add anything. You could keep an intimate focus on Kratos without any of this.
General thoughts on story:
  • They did a pretty decent job with Kratos and Atreus. You get a good sense of Atreus wanting some love from his dad, and Kratos being a reluctant father because this whole thing is a little new for him.
  • I was wondering whether Atreus was going to be Loki from half-way in the game so that reveal at the end was really good. My thought process was that the game was clearly setting up the future games, but it didn't mention Loki at all despite talking about a lot of other important characters. Then when Atreus kept mentioning the voices in his head, and had those weird angry outbursts, I began thinking there's more here than him just being a complete little shit. And when that moment towards the end comes in Helheim where he doesn't remember his actions, I was relatively sure he must be this game's Loki. Although I wasn't expecting him to have the name too. Really well done reveal because they gave enough information beforehand to figure it out. I like this a lot because it means Atreus has a significant part in this mythology and isn't just some add-on son for the sake of Kratos and his development. One of the great things about this franchise is Kratos being the outsider to mythology essentially. It changes things up and this was a nice change.
  • Atreus clearly has a dark side. While I think he'll eventually get redeemed, I'm expecting him to at least make some significantly wrong choices in the coming games. If they execute it well, this could give the story huge stakes. Heck, even if they decide not to go that route and go for some tragic ending of Kratos having to sacrifice his son because he failed his son, I don't mind. There's a lot of potential in this set-up.
  • They've built up a lot of mystery around Faye. I'm now curious which direction they go with her. She's had a massive influence on Kratos, and he clearly loves her a lot. But that mural at the end depicts Kratos being betrayed and dying. And since Faye sent them there, she obviously knew certain things. So maybe that implies she knew of Kratos before she got together with him. Kratos says to Atreus to trust in her but it's clear there's more at play here. Curious if that judgment from Kratos about her being a good woman will hold.
  • It's mentioned Ragnarok was supposed to be 100 winters from now, but it's about to happen in 3, and Mimir says it's because of Kratos getting involved. So not sure how this works with Faye knowing about Kratos etc. It would also imply Atreus is likely going to be a teenager in the next 1-2 games at most.
  • That little nugget of the World Serpent traveling back in time was great. I'm not liking the idea of this series going some cliche route of Kratos dying at the end of it, or there being some passing of the torch, so the fact that Mimir mentioned the World Serpent was sent back through time opens up the door for some shenanigans. Who blew that horn?
  • They did make a big deal about Helheim. Things going wrong. Kratos being warned not to go too far because there's no turning back. What if Kratos dies in the next game, and Atreus brings him back from Helheim in the third? It'd a hype moment if you get back in control of Kratos after bringing him back.
  • Atreus is definitely turning into an animal.
  • I like that there's a lot to look forward to. We haven't seen several of the realms. Even Jotunheim may as well be new. I don't mind the rocky aesthetic.
  • It looks like Egyptian and Japanese mythologies exist in this universe. I know what I want at the end of this new trilogy or whatever. Send Kratos to one of them somehow. Alternatively just finish this mythology with Kratos and Atreus being an example of good gods, and we can do a reboot for the next one.
Overall, this was a great game. It's not my favorite in the series, but I don't think matters anyway. I really enjoyed it and it's my second favorite game this generation, as well as being one of the best I've played.

I think they've positioned themselves fantastically because I have huge hopes for the sequel. They have a good chance of surpassing the first entry. The combat, moment to moment game-play, and characters are all interesting and done well as it is, but what remains for them to hit out of the park is the story and plot. The sequels can surpass this because they've been set up very well, and that is an exciting thing. I'm also looking forward to them introducing some new combat skills as well as maybe a new weapon. Just don't get rid of either the Leviathan Axe or Blades of Chaos.

Last edited:

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just finished the game. Wow, it was was incredible. There's definitely gonna be sequels to this yeah? All of the info from Mimir makes me wanna kick down the front door of Asgard and take down Odin and Thor. No doubt Freya will play a big part too. Definitely going back for the platinum, even if the Valkyrie are destroying me!

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Just finished the game. Wow, it was was incredible. There's definitely gonna be sequels to this yeah? All of the info from Mimir makes me wanna kick down the front door of Asgard and take down Odin and Thor. No doubt Freya will play a big part too. Definitely going back for the platinum, even if the Valkyrie are destroying me!

Go home! (Kratos's house)

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Go back to the house RIGHT NOW!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
One thing to keep in mind is that Kratos might already know that he's supposed to die in the upcoming Ragnarök. He's cursed with both immortality and living forever with the memories of all the horrible things he's done in the past. He'd probably embrace the opportunity.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Did Atreus try to unleash his Spartan Rgae when he wanted to save his father from Magni? He failed since he isn't a full Spartan / Greek God.

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's on the end painting? Loki and Kratos and a snake? Who comes from future? Is Kratos die in the future?

Nov 3, 2017
What's on the end painting? Loki and Kratos and a snake? Who comes from future? Is Kratos die in the future?

Loki gives birth to the world serpent as Kratos dies, bringing about Ragnarok

Also the Thor tease. Unless I read everything wrong, it calls for a DLC. And on the verge of doing platinum in this I kinda want some new reasons to use my updated armor and weapons lol

I think it'll be a second game (and not a trilogy as expected) instead of DLC, can cover the other realms, retread the old ones with some new places and do Ragnarok

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Are the 9 Valkyries the only hidden optional bosses in the game or there are others? I read that there are hidden locations you access midgame that have enemies with much higher levels than you than you can't fight immediately.

Arkaine

Oct 30, 2017
So the mother of Atreus is called Faye? And the mother of Loki in Norse mythology is Laufey. FEY. Mindblown.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are the 9 Valkyries the only hidden optional bosses in the game or there are others? I read that there are hidden locations you access midgame that have enemies with much higher levels than you than you can't fight immediately.
I'm still going through the side content, there are a few dark portals or whatever they are called in Niflheim which require a lot of high level resources to open, they could be boss fights or not.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Freya and Thor being the big bads in a sequel seems likely to me. Odin obviously would be the third with ragnarok closing out the trilogy.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody here finished all of the realm tear encounters? How the hell am I supposed to do the ones at Ivaldi's Workshop? They cost a lot and that anchor of fog is nowhere to be found !

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I have like 232 strength with the Nilfheim set and it's still unupgraded. Should I bother with the mist stuff?

Oh man that Egyptian Pantheon reference. We are so getting another series after this. So much hype.

No we are probably not. There will most likely be another God of War game with Kratos dying and all Norse gods dead (Ragnarok). There's only so much God of War a studio can make before craving for a new IP. This game wouldn't have happened either since they were working on a new IP and it got cancelled.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hey SSM guys! I know you are reading this :D
Don't you fucking dare killing Kratos! Let him get old and live with his family on a farm or something man, he deserve that :(

Don't worry buddy. they are just toying with us. Kratos is immortal and they kept highlighting this all the time and a GOW without him is like a Mario game without Mario or Zelda without Link. Imagine the reactions. They wnat you to speculate about this and get goosebumps thinking about that.