HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
CAN WE NOW GET NINTENDO TO STOP DEADNAMING BIRDETTA?

Is this an actual official from something Nintendo?

According to the English manual for SMB2, it says:

He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called "birdetta."

Obviously they misgender her here, but I'm curious if "Birdetta" originated here or somewhere else.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
f9xogj5b8bj71.jpg
Is this a thing they still do nowadays?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I got the image from a friend on Discord, so I don't know how accurate this is, but is this actually what Goombella says about Vivian? Pretty cool if it's real.

OYaVoO8.png

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I got the image from a friend on Discord, so I don't know how accurate this is, but is this actually what Goombella says about Vivian? Pretty cool if it's real.

OYaVoO8.png
This was what the original GameCube version had Goombella say in English, so I'm glad they kept it now that Vivian is confirmed to be trans.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Apologies if it was clarified in the thread already, just tuning in quick from work.

I am curious what the "new" Japanese text is like, has anyone seen it?

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
This was what the original GameCube version had Goombella say in English, so I'm glad they kept it now that Vivian is confirmed to be trans.
Oh, I didn't remember that. I wonder if they kept that. I have heard the GameCube Japanese version said something like "She was a man"

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh, I didn't remember that. I wonder if they kept that. I have heard the GameCube Japanese version said something like "She was a man"
It would make sense for them to keep the OG English text. If anything, the Japanese version is more likely to be changed to be more respectful of Vivian.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Even if they right their wrongs and acknowledge her as canonically trans in the modern games, they'll probably retcon this so that Birdo is her new preferred name instead of her deadname.
Yeah, that is also my headcanon, to be honest. She's a trans woman, a woman with the preferred name of Birdo. They never brought it up again and everyone sees and treats her as a women and uses female pronouns.

Nov 8, 2018
is this official Nintendo content? Because the NA branch of Nintendo at the time took a lot of liberties in the user manuals, iirc. Like just adding info that wasn't at all in the japanese manual.

Okay this isn't directed at you, I just want to make an analogy for cisgender people to understand.

Imagine if Chun-Li was only Chinese once, in the North American Manual. And for some reason they just kept her white after that. This is where I'm coming from, but from a different minority. An intersectional minority, who's hurting a lot right now.

So one can imagine the comments questioning the validity can come off as kinda offensive?

Again I get nobody means offence. And it's not annoyance aimed at any particular user. It just gets tiring sometimes.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I got the impression even as a little kid NoA was just being "funny" in the manual which of course wasn't right but it was the 80s

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
idk, birdo has always seemed like a pretty meanspirited joke to me. like, "oh the gross freak character with a wretched mouth tube also thinks they're a pretty woman"

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okay this isn't directed at you, I just want to make an analogy for cisgender people to understand.

Imagine if Chun-Li was only Chinese once, in the North American Manual. And for some reason they just kept her white after that. This is where I'm coming from, but from a different minority. An intersectional minority, who's hurting a lot right now.

So one can imagine the comments questioning the validity can come off as kinda offensive?

Again I get nobody means offence. And it's not annoyance aimed at any particular user. It just gets tiring sometimes.

I don't think any one is saying birdo is not trans but questioning the name birdetta.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
idk, birdo has always seemed like a pretty meanspirited joke to me. like, "oh the gross freak character with a wretched mouth tube also thinks they're a pretty woman"

I feel the only thing that comes of that way Is that birdetta blurb since birdo is not even a gendered name. A few of the younger people where I work know her as a girl Yoshi so normal people aren't seeing her as a gross freak just another aspect of the Mario world.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
This is what we call a W. You love to see it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the only thing that comes of that way Is that birdetta blurb since birdo is not even a gendered name. A few of the younger people where I work know her as a girl Yoshi so normal people aren't seeing her as a gross freak just another aspect of the Mario world.
And Nintendo themselves acknowledges her
ijs10h88rmma1.jpg

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And Nintendo themselves acknowledges her
ijs10h88rmma1.jpg

Yeah this is what I am saying, IIRC outside of captain rainbow she also uses the womans facilities in one of the 3ds sports games and I think valentines cards. No one is denying birdo is a trans woman just the use of birdetta in the NA manual.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'd ask about what the game's manual in Japan says about Birdo, but did the American SMB2 come out in Japan at the time? I guess we could check the manuals for the GBA remakes, but I doubt they kept that detail in either language.

Anyway, trans rights mother fucker, ooh-rah, cool and good. 💖

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, this is absolutely lovely. I wasn't aware of the original context, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see it corrected in the new release!

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
The context of Birdo goes hand in hand with a specific okama stereotype which goes all the way back to the Edo period, and has since been a reclaimed term used by japanese celebrities like Matsuko Deluxe. Fully subjective, but I feel like the idea behind Birdo was not PARTICULARLY great, but the character has evolved significantly since then.

View: https://youtu.be/siDZaK6puF8?si=Ng27VqNBSOFMBMH7

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
it's actually a pretty faithful localization. the JP manual says pretty much the same thing
Huh, I wanted to look that up, since I knew Birdo's name in Japan is Catherine, but yeah, they really did say more or less the same thing, just that Catherine would be preferred to be called Cathie.

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I wanted to look that up, since I knew Birdo's name in Japan is Catherine, but yeah, they really did say more or less the same thing, just that Catherine would be preferred to be called Cathie.
Which always struck me as odd, since both names are typically considered feminine. It's almost like the joke didn't quite make it through translation... though they kept the "thinks he's a girl" part.

Finiri6143

Mar 16, 2022
Is this something in the jap version as well? Does anyone have a screenshot?
Just want to see if they say the same or if this is something that localization put there.
I know that in the original one the Vivian's sisters would call her "otoko" (man).
I wouldn't use the word jap in any sentence. It's categorized as a slur.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Is this something in the jap version as well? Does anyone have a screenshot?
Just want to see if they say the same or if this is something that localization put there.
I know that in the original one the Vivian's sisters would call her "otoko" (man).
In the remake, Vivian just says she's trans here in a very explicit way.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Honestly even with the 30 cap I'm more than happy to get this version, if for no other reason than an official version acknowledging Vivians intended identity is worth it.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Just FYI you probably wanna change that to jp, what you wrote is an ethnic slur.

I wouldn't use the word jap in any sentence. It's categorized as a slur.

Edited, but I got a stupid question, is this something that is considered a slur to japanese people or americans consider this a slur? I've lived 2 years in Aoyama and I would say the abreviations "JAP" "JPN" and "JP" all the time. Same thing in Europe.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Edited, but I got a stupid question, is this something that is considered a slur to japanese people or americans consider this a slur? I've lived 2 years in Aoyama and I would say the abreviations "JAP" "JPN" and "JP" all the time. Same thing in Europe.
It's a slur that was wildly used in America against the Japanese during world war 2.
Japanese Americans are the ones who are sensitive to it, though I'm sure there are people in Japan who don't like it either.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Definitely American during WW2. I think if you want to use that abbreviation in a Western context, I'd make sure to capitalize it, since AFAIK it was always used as a word (ie, "jap") and not an abbreviation. I've always used JP or JPN, depending on whether I want two or three letter abbreviations.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
There are now idiots on Twitter claiming that the Japanese script, where Vivian literally looks at the camera and says "I am transgender", confirms Vivian *isn't* trans.

I am so, so tired.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
There are now idiots on Twitter claiming that the Japanese script, where Vivian literally looks at the camera and says "I am transgender", confirms Vivian *isn't* trans.

I am so, so tired.

Not to be rude but I have no idea why you'd expect anything better from Twitter in general, especially these days