• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The SP//dr robot was operated by the special spider, and Peni had a psychic link with that spider. (It's a little too convoluted for me.) The robot ended up destroyed, but the spider itself survived, so she shouldn't have grieved too much.

Her dad built it who is dead. And both operate it.

God tier movie, just wish the other Spidermen did more, but I get this is Miles movie.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got back. I liked but it has some problems, chiefly that the alternate Spiders are totally unnecessary. You could cut Peni, Noir and Spider-Ham out of the movie completely to no detriment, and I kinda think they also should have done that for Gwen to focus on the buddy narrative of a jaded, washed up Peter and Miles. Peni and Noir literally do nothing the whole movie, while Spider-Ham basically has a smattering of funny gags, chief among them his takeout of the Scorpion. Jefferson not even remotely wondering why his brother was dressed in purple spandex was enough to take me out of the movie, and them hinting at and completely failing to do anything with Jefferson blaming Spider-Man for his brother's death was lame since you could really build on that in the sequel.

I still really liked it, though. This is by far the best version of Miles ever which really sells the character's problems when he's constantly being rewritten across different mediums, it's cool to have an unapologetic and genuinely evil female villain in Octavius, and the movie is stunningly gorgeous in practically every scene.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this film, like it blew my expectations. I love Miles in this especially compared to how he is in Spider-Man PS4 which I thought he was awful. Kingpins motivation was pretty weak and I wish they did more with Prowler but when the big moments hit they hit.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understate how much I think Peni, Noir and Ham were an effective detail. They didn't have anything particular to do, and that was great. Cool designs, added their own little touches to fight scenes, funny gags.

Most importantly though, their non-role made the multi-dimensional part of the world believable. If it was just Gwen and Peter that came through to Miles' world, it would make the multi-verse feel just like a plot device for the main character to be struck with his side characters that teach him how to be a hero, blah blah blah. But since they're just kind of there who silently have their own reasons for getting back home, the multi-verse felt more like just a part of the world. You'd expect something as volatile as Oc's machine to bring over more than just two dudes that are entirely essential to the narrative.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been this impressed by a movie's visuals since, shit, I don't even know. Maybe Coco.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone seen it in 3D? This one seems like one of those movies that could have a really great 3D version.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Jefferson not even remotely wondering why his brother was dressed in purple spandex was enough to take me out of the movie, and them hinting at and completely failing to do anything with Jefferson blaming Spider-Man for his brother's death was lame since you could really build on that in the sequel.
It wouldn't have taken long to find out Aaron was working for Kingpin and that Kingpin was the one that killed him. They arrested him and possibly the other villains at the end so they could get that confession out of them. It would have been weird for Jeff to carry a grudge when he has good evidence pointing to Spider-Man not being the murderer.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't have taken long to find out Aaron was working for Kingpin and that Kingpin was the one that killed him. They arrested him at the end so they could get that confession out of him. It would have been weird for Jeff to carry a grudge when he has good evidence and eye witness pointing to Spider-Man not being the murderer.
False dilemma going on here. Kingpin didn't have to be captured and available to divulge that, or have eye witness accounts outside of Spider-Man and Kingpin in the first place. I agree with the other guy it was a weird thing to tease but then shrug off as OK right at the end.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got the best 3 trading cards
#SpiderVerse

kOlfluf.jpg

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
False dilemma going on here. Kingpin didn't have to be captured and available to divulge that, or have eye witness accounts outside of Spider-Man and Kingpin in the first place. I agree with the other guy it was a weird thing to tease but then shrug off as OK right at the end.
It was a merely a moment of frustration for Jeff. Instead of allowing his disapproval of Spider-Man grow into a petty grudge he focused on improving his relationship with Miles.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
If the auxiliary spiders were going to be such non-factors, they should have went whole-hog and brought in a ton more of them. And that's not just because I want Leopardon and my goddamned Sentei Spider-Man.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
GOD FUCKING DAMN. This shit was good. Like one of the best animated films of the decade good. I think I still prefer Spidey 2 a bit more, since it had the one villain/hero focus, but this movie is amazing how well it works. Almost everything in here should not have worked... but it all did. How they manage to blend completely different styles together and make a heartfelt movie. How it even built up on your existing knowledge of the past films rather than having to waste time. You know Peter's story already, and it's sad to see both the good side and the bad side of how it turns out.

Best Superhero movie of the year and I'm trying to think of the last time I liked something as much.

My only issue on the film was Uncle Aaron was underdeveloped. While the relationship was established, they never did anything with him past the initial scene till the, he's a bad guy suddenly.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda disappointed Spider-Weeb wasnt just the Tokusatsu Supaidaman. She looked like she was from Kappa Mikey.

Other then that fantastic

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Yo fantastic movie. Someone said to stay for the post credits, at first I thought I was wasting my time but I fucking laughed my ass off.
Was hit by a ton of bricks when Spider-Man died and at the Stan Lee cameo. Prowler chase scenes were amazing too. Just a great movie overall. Can't honestlt think of one negative tbh

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
them hinting at and completely failing to do anything with Jefferson blaming Spider-Man for his brother's death was lame since you could really build on that in the sequel.

Ugh, no. This trope is horrible and threadbare at this point, especially with Spider-Men. Just stupid drama for drama's sake.

I'm happy they did the sensible thing and dropped it immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the movie was quite solid, and probably the best human characterization that's ever been in a Spiderman movie. I loved the human touches with the Hispanic mom, the way the children acted at the different schools, the emotions, etc. The world and characters felt realistic, despite a world of crazy happenings. I felt like I had eyestrain afterwards and the opening credits were seizure-inducing, but thankfully most of the movie wasn't like that. It was probably the most comic-book-looking movie I've ever seen.

One of the few weaknesses to me was Miles' father and uncle. Someone already mentioned the father not even wondering why his brother was in a weird supervillain power suit. The other weird thing to me was when Miles finds out it's his uncle, he doesn't even ask "why", which I would think would be a human reaction. And the uncle is just like "yeah I let you down my bad" instead of even offering any motivation like "despite my desire to be an independent graffiti rebel, I sold out to randomly murder people while wearing a supervillain power suit because I just like money that much" or something. :P Like, there has to be a reason he goes full villain despite apparently being a decent person in most other aspects (pick-up artist skeez aside).

I wasn't too surprised about something happening with the uncle since it was sort of hinted at, but for some reason I was totally not expecting Doc Ock. I found out the scientist was working for Kingpin and was like "ah she's evil or doesn't care about evil as long as she can science" and then BAM, power suit.

Random reference thing, I loved the newspaper and other Spiderman references, and most of the ones I noticed were from the Tobey Maguire series. Were there any from Amazing Spiderman or the new Avengers version?

Also my random favorite thing was Nicholas Cage and his Spiderman Noir touches. "I'm taking this cube thing. I don't understand it...but I will."

Status
Not open for further replies.