• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Why do modern consoles force a mandatory install? It sucks. So far, I've sat through a system update screen and now have to wait an hour to install Spider-Man before I can play it. It's off to a wonderful start enjoying my shiny new console! Except that everything requires having the patience of a monk while stuff installs. I miss the good old days where you set up a console, pop in a game, and it plays instantly but c'est le vie. This is the reality we live in.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Why do modern consoles force a mandatory install? It sucks. So far, I've sat through a system update screen and now have to wait an hour to install Spider-Man before I can play it. It's off to a wonderful start enjoying my shiny new console! Except that everything requires having the patience of a monk while stuff installs. I miss the good old days where you set up a console, pop in a game, and it plays instantly but c'est le vie. This is the reality we live in.
All games on PS4 fully install every game, but typically you can play 99% of games without having to wait for more than a minute. GTV,RDR2, and Spider-man are rare cases where the game needs to be fully installed before you can play. Most games let you play while the rest of the game installs

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So far, Gravity Rush Remastered has been the only exception I've observed in requiring no install to play, the same not applying to Gravity Rush 2.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, is this bundle really all out now?

Slept on it, but just curious how sold-out it is. I live in Portland, so anything video game related is super competitive and sells out instantly.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
PS4 ~1690k — +20% = 2,028,000
Xbox ~1380k — -30% = 966,000
Switch ~775k — +70% = 1,317,500

My predictions for the upcoming predictions thread:

[PS4] 2030K
[XB1] 965K
[NSW] 1320K

Given that there's barely any noise on here (or out there in the real world) about the Xbox One, I half expect it to go under one million for the first time in November.

The Switch will see a very, very generous increase, thanks to the recent release of Pokémon Let's Go and the superb Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle for $299!

Not a lot needs to be said about the Spider-Man bundle in all honesty. It's quite likely that the PlayStation 4 may well creep over the two million milestone...

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

[PS4] 2030K
[XB1] 965K
[NSW] 1320K

Given that there's barely any noise on here (or out there in the real world) about the Xbox One, I half expect it to go under one million for the first time in November.

The Switch will see a very, very generous increase, thanks to the recent release of Pokémon Let's Go and the superb Mario Kart 8 Deluxe bundle for $299!

Not a lot needs to be said about the Spider-Man bundle in all honesty. It's quite likely that the PlayStation 4 may well creep over the two million milestone...
It's gonna be interesting to see if Sony actually managed to break the 2 million barrier. I'm reading a lot of stuff on Twitter/Facebook every year during BF and it looks like a lot.... I mean really, A LOT of people bought PS4 consoles. Like, even when the Spidey bundle was sold out, they still bought the standard SKU with games and controllers. Even though the standard PS4 was more expensive. All that, while ignoring the $199 XBO completely. So the Spidey PS4 sold out, the standard SKU sold very good and even the Pro sold well. Like I said, it's gonna be interesting. 2 million good? Let's see :)
edit. Benji
Cyber Monday (26th November) and the whole next week still counts towards November NPD, right?

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see if Sony actually managed to break the 2 million barrier. I'm reading a lot of stuff on Twitter/Facebook every yeah during BF and it looks like a lot.... I mean really, A LOT of people bought PS4 consoles. Like, even when the Spidey bundle was sold out, they still bought the standard SKU with games and controllers. Even though the standard PS4 was more expensive. All that, while ignoring the $199 XBO completely. So the Spidey PS4 sold out, the standard SKU sold very good and even the Pro sold well. Like I said, it's gonna be interesting. 2 million good? Let's see :)
edit. Benji
Cyber Monday (26th November) and the whole next week still counts towards November NPD, right?

It's quite simple, if Sony shipped 2mn Spidey bundles, they've sold 2mn bundles by now (+ some other SKUs).

Given how many consoles they've sold last year and some insiders stating Sony shipped a whole lot more bundles this year this should be possible.

Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be interesting to see if Sony actually managed to break the 2 million barrier. I'm reading a lot of stuff on Twitter/Facebook every year during BF and it looks like a lot.... I mean really, A LOT of people bought PS4 consoles. Like, even when the Spidey bundle was sold out, they still bought the standard SKU with games and controllers. Even though the standard PS4 was more expensive. All that, while ignoring the $199 XBO completely. So the Spidey PS4 sold out, the standard SKU sold very good and even the Pro sold well. Like I said, it's gonna be interesting. 2 million good? Let's see :)
edit. Benji

From last year's thread.

"Reminder : Cyber Monday isn't tracked in November NPD. It will be taken into account for December"

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's quite simple, if Sony shipped 2mn Spidey bundles, they've sold 2mn bundles by now (+ some other SKUs).

Given how many consoles they've sold last year and some insiders stating Sony shipped a whole lot more bundles this year this should be possible.
I know all that ;) Pretty sure they would have sold 3 million Spidey bundles if they were available.
It just feels like this year (compared to last year) people even bought a lot of the standard SKUs and some PS4 Pro consoles.
And Sony is selling a lot of "new" 1st party games this year, compared to last years BF deals. I mean, this time it's Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition, God of War, Detroit: Become Human and Spider-Man. Then there are the PS+ sub cards, which are selling really, really good. And a lot of DualShock 4 controllers are getting sold. Sony is making some huge $$$ this month.

Weird to see that MLB The Show 18 wasn't on sale for $9.99 or $14.99. It's the perfect game to get a discount around BF and Christmas.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what happened to PS4 installations. But in the past installs on PS4 were pretty much instant. You put in the disk, then it was like "poosh" - installed! It took literally SECONDS to do it. It was always a shitshow in the Xbox One. But now it's the same on PS4. Every game installs like it's 1995 PC gaming. It took fucking 1,5 hours to install RDR. It took 10 minutes to install AstroBot which is only 7 gigabyte in size. WTF.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I mean the Switch is also selling well and also costs $100 more. If we're talking revenue, then I suspect Nintendo will have no. 1 console by revenue and Sony will move the most units overall.

spiderman seems to have had a clean sweep. marvel plus cheap ps4 is selling power to the masses. the vr bundle didn't move that much.
the minecraft bundle has done quite well, cleaned out in quite a few stores. Switch bundles are still available in most locations.
I have no idea how much inventory was set aside for black Friday deals but I think switch will claim third again this year but be closer to Microsoft than last year.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Taking two of three away is nothing. Who needs to buy that many consoles? Why did they let the customer buy more than two?

Amazing.

Pro Tip: put the box on the ground and stomp the top of it enough to damage the cardboard but not the system. They'll force you to buy it then.

These retail employees are no match for me. I'm pro at Black Friday. And I have good lawyers.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Do companies usually reveal how much they've sold on the actual Black Friday? Or will that sort of info only come with the NPD release later in December?

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
You know why ;) They are selling it for profit.
Yeah...surely Walmart knew that and should have said 'NOPE'! Two units max.

Pro Tip: put the box on the ground and stomp the top of it enough to damage the cardboard but not the system. They'll force you to buy it then.

These retail employees are no match for me. I'm pro at Black Friday. And I have good lawyers.
Right...off to the supermarket!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
That Canadian bf vid is funny. Seeing those US videos is terrifying, the fuck is wrong with people

[PS4] 2030K
[XB1] 965K
[NSW] 1320K

A few of bundles that the xbox has, unfortuitously for them, are with games that have not been well received. They hitched themselves to battlefield and fallout, there might be some tomb Raider ones out there as well. Maybe the creators one is selling well who knows.

cloudy

Nov 10, 2017
Deal worked out well for me. Keeping the slim as my upstairs PS4 while gifting Spidey to my newphew for xmas (already had it). I'll trade in my OG ps4 fpr a pro down the line hopefully lol

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Switch would have had a chance to outsell PS4 if Smash Bros Ultimate were the bundled game. It's a bit tougher when the bundled game is old. Spidey PS4 should take it pretty easily as is.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's not a ton of profit to be made on these ps4s. Not sure why ppl would go through the trouble of buying multiple to make $50 or so. I am selling my extra for about $30 profit. Could probably get more but nothing significant. When I was making several hundred bucks on a wii that was something! $50? Meh!

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
They force mandatory installation, because Blu-Ray is way to slow to stream data to play.