• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
A little thing that stood out to me, is the lingering shot of some random guy after Peter buys the necklace, and a bit before MJ sees him.

Thought he was gonna get robbed, but I guess not.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Shower thought this morning: I can't see Vulture and Mysterio getting along in the Sinister Six movie, they're gonna be fighting each other before the end of that one. Also, I expect Scorpion to have words with Vulture too...

S: "So you didn't know your daughter's classmate was Spider-Freak, huh?"
V: "Look, we're not all mind-readers like Mysterio over there."
M: "ILLUSIONS. I CREATE ILLUSIONS."
V: "Whatever."

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shower thought this morning: I can't see Vulture and Mysterio getting along in the Sinister Six movie, they're gonna be fighting each other before the end of that one. Also, I expect Scorpion to have words with Vulture too...

S: "So you didn't know your daughter's classmate was Spider-Freak, huh?"
V: "Look, we're not all mind-readers like Mysterio over there."
M: "ILLUSIONS. I CREATE ILLUSIONS."
V: "Whatever."

To be honest I can kinda see Vulture turning on the Sinister Six anyway. He isn't a bad person, y'know? He did crime obviously but he wouldn't have become a criminal if Tony Stark hadn't screwed him out of a job and I don't think he ever actually killed anyone or intentionally put other people in danger the way Beck did. There's also the whole thing with Pete saving his life and him acknowledging that.

I can see him drawing a line (such as not going after Pete's family) and the other villains crossing that line, after which he turns on them.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
To be honest I can kinda see Vulture turning on the Sinister Six anyway. He isn't a bad person, y'know? He did crime obviously but he wouldn't have become a criminal if Tony Stark hadn't screwed him out of a job and I don't think he ever actually killed anyone or intentionally put other people in danger the way Beck did. There's also the whole thing with Pete saving his life and him acknowledging that.

I can see him drawing a line (such as not going after Pete's family) and the other villains crossing that line, after which he turns on them.

Yeah, Vulture and Mysterio both have a dislike for Stark which explains how they even end up working together, although it's more personal for Mysterio. I'd like to see Vulture drawing a line in the third act of the movie, and although we can't give him a full redemption because he's a villain, he can still help out Spidey (even if indirectly) a little before doing a vanishing act at the end, evading capture.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

Comment from the Instagram:

"Honetly, I thought that you are Peter Parker from a multiverse in disguise of a Mysterio to save Tom Holland Parker from a bigger threat."

tenor.gif

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He did disintegrate that Shocker guy, even though unintentionally, and didn't seem to mind it much.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I really don't follow comic books so I wasn't familiar with Mysterio at all going into this. He feels like the most interesting MCU villain period. I enjoyed this movie mostly on the back of that character and Gylenhall's(sp?) performance.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically the one thing superheroes in the MCU don't have is secret identities, so the world knowing Pete is Spidey isn't actually a big deal.

What Pete really needs is someone in his corner. Not just to vouch for him and convince the world that Mysterio was lying, but to bluntly state that - as Pete is still a kid - if anyone goes after him, his friends or his family, they'll step in. That was Tony Stark before but, now he's gone, Pete really does need someone else.

Like Banner.

What I'd really like to see is a New Avengers thing. Carol and T'Challa decide that the world still needs a superhero team so they form one - with Banner and Shuri working on tech support and Spidey as their first official member.

You sort of contradict yourself, no? Saying it's not a big deal but it is b/c they can go after him, his friends or May? And that's why I think Peter needs this so MJ, Ned, May, etc are safe.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Maybe not regret in the long run, but I'd expect an immediate reaction that's more "oh my god!" and less "huh oh well" from somebody who supposedly has qualms about killing.

He has to be a credible villain so he must be very callous about deaths of this kind. Peter is different. Toomes has met Peter and likes him, his wife has met him, and his fantastic, bright, beautiful, beloved daughter Liz thinks the world of him. This is a family matter. He would never want to betray his wife and daughter for business.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
While we're talking about Shocker, I just want to say one of my favourite lines in Homecoming is when Keaton's all like "you're going around calling yourself The Shocker. I'm the Shocker! I shock people!"

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not regret in the long run, but I'd expect an immediate reaction that's more "oh my god!" and less "huh oh well" from somebody who supposedly has qualms about killing.
He thought he was using the gravity gun, is what he reacted to the most haha.

Watched that again last night, the Toomes parts are really great. These movies may end up with the best villains overall.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He has to be a credible villain so he must be very callous about deaths of this kind. Peter is different. Toomes has met Peter and likes him, his wife has met him, and his fantastic, bright, beautiful, beloved daughter Liz thinks the world of him. This is a family matter. He would never want to betray his wife and daughter for business.
He did drop an entire building on Peter, though, and those plane-skewering wings he thrust towards Peter during their fight would totally decapitate him if they connect.

Perhaps he has some sense of gratitude and he probably isn't the type who wants people dead just to have revenge, which is why he hid Peter identity. On the other hand, I feel like he won't hesitate in killing people - and by extension Peter - if he thinks it's the best way to protect himself.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
He thought he was using the gravity gun, is what he reacted to the most haha.

Watched that again last night, the Toomes parts are really great. These movies may end up with the best villains overall.

Michael Keaton is one actor I hadn't really had a chance to see. I don't like Batman films and for one reason or another I never saw any of his other films until Homecoming. Great work, makes me want to go back and watch some of his other films. Marvel Studios would be very irresponsible if they failed to build up Toomes in later films. Homecoming really builds on that central duet of Holland and Keaton. The car scene, from beginning to end, is a great bit of cinema.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Michael Keaton is one actor I hadn't really had a chance to see. I don't like Batman films and for one reason or another I never saw any of his other films until Homecoming. Great work, makes me want to go back and watch some of his other films. Marvel Studios would be very irresponsible if they failed to build up Toomes in later films. Homecoming really builds on that central duet of Holland and Keaton. The car scene, from beginning to end, is a great bit of cinema.
Watch birdman, and spotlight

Vas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brad the Chad looked like 28 years old lol. Reminds me of Sam Raimi's films. I thought he was a teacher at first.

I need to rewatch Spidey 2 so bad. I remember thinking it was the best super hero film of all time. I wonder if it holds up?

Mat-triX

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Quentin Beck being his real name and thus easy to track-back to being a disgruntled Stark employee, the exact quote from him in the exposition scene implies otherwise:

"...the story you created of a solider from another earth named Quentin fighting space monsters in Europe is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS and apparently exactly the kind of thing people will believe right now..."

Quentin could just be the name of the fictional character he's playing, combing with the beard to help not be recognized.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How in the ever living fuck have you not seen Beetlejuice?

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I liked FFH overall, but it really bothered me the way the "Stark Tech" was depicted and used as a plot point, and it SHOULD have big ramifications moving forward, although I fear the MCU will chicken out and it won't.

1. "Stark Industries is out of the weapons business"

Umm... ok. Cue drone strikes, hundreds of hella-weaponized Stark drones poring out of orbit and terrorizing a major international city.

Who made these? Pepper Potts is gonna go on trial for War Crimes or something goddamn.

THIS is the kind of major major fuck-up that should have led to the Accords and led to pretty much permanent distrust of superheroes, and even the MCU Earth taking a deeper look at Tony's legacy.

I know this is "just a comic book movie" but what was happening in London was horrifying if taken at face value, and there's no way to look at it other than being Tony's fault and Stark Industries' fault. This was the entire plot of Iron Man 1 for Pete's sake - yes it was a villain using Tony's weapons for evil purpose, but he's still the one that made them. Just like IM1.

All that tech was some Justin Hammer-level shit. Enough power to rival a major nation. Very cavalier attitude about keeping it safe and used responsibly. It's nuts. The origin of those weapon drones should NOT have been Stark Industries - I know it would have been a lot harder but the Script should have found a different way. (Maybe Stark employee Beck steals the hologram tech and teams up with someone else for the weaponized aspect?)

2. This tech being casually handed over to Peter Parker posthumously, with absolutely no explanation or training, is eye-rollingly insane, even by comic book movie standards.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I liked FFH overall, but it really bothered me the way the "Stark Tech" was depicted and used as a plot point, and it SHOULD have big ramifications moving forward, although I fear the MCU will chicken out and it won't.

1. "Stark Industries is out of the weapons business"

Umm... ok. Cue drone strikes, hundreds of hella-weaponized Stark drones poring out of orbit and terrorizing a major international city.

Who made these? Pepper Potts is gonna go on trial for War Crimes or something goddamn.

THIS is the kind of major major fuck-up that should have led to the Accords and led to pretty much permanent distrust of superheroes, and even the MCU Earth taking a deeper look at Tony's legacy.

I know this is "just a comic book movie" but what was happening in London was horrifying if taken at face value, and there's no way to look at it other than being Tony's fault and Stark Industries' fault. This was the entire plot of Iron Man 1 for Pete's sake - yes it was a villain using Tony's weapons for evil purpose, but he's still the one that made them. Just like IM1.

All that tech was some Justin Hammer-level shit. Enough power to rival a major nation. Very cavalier attitude about keeping it safe and used responsibly. It's nuts. The origin of those weapon drones should NOT have been Stark Industries - I know it would have been a lot harder but the Script should have found a different way. (Maybe Stark employee Beck steals the hologram tech and teams up with someone else for the weaponized aspect?)

2. This tech being casually handed over to Peter Parker posthumously, with absolutely no explanation or training, is eye-rollingly insane, even by comic book movie standards.
I mean, it wasn't business. It was personal.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018

Yeah that could certainly be an aspect of it. Lots of infighting between the the characters.

I really hope that if kraven is the third movie, that they dont tie his origin into tony stark AGAIN. we've now had The villains from 3 iron man films, ultron, Vulture, and mysterio have not a really strong connection to peter, only to tony.

Brad the Chad looked like 28 years old lol. Reminds me of Sam Raimi's films. I thought he was a teacher at first.

I need to rewatch Spidey 2 so bad. I remember thinking it was the best super hero film of all time. I wonder if it holds up?

Spiderman 2 is still a great flick. Lots of great emotional beats, cool action, and great swinging and visual style. Has a lot of heart, even if some of the acting and moments are very cheesy and toby can be hit or miss.

And boy the whole cast being adults REALLY shows in this film.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Did you see other films like it? Did it fail to meet your expectations of previous films like this?
Seen every marvel film and have been a spider-man fan for as long as I can remember. My favourite film from last year was the phenomenal Spiderverse and Spider-Man 2 remains my GOAT to this day.

I really disliked the high school class stuff throughout the whole movie. None of the humour really landed for me. I wish they'd let spider-man be Spider-Man rather than Iron Man jr.

Having said that I thought the illusion sequence and london sequence were both fantastic. But for me, it was stuck in a film I really didn't enjoy otherwise.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Saw it earlier today..
Another Marvel movie, another shitty villain, i will always have Infinity War and End Game...

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it wasn't business. It was personal.
Having your company put weaponized satellites into space, if not super illegal in a direct sense, still violates a hundred regulations and international treaties. And EDITH is completely useless as an orbital defense weapon but seems tailor made to be a Project INSIGHT-esque fascist tool of oppression, so the movie treats it like Tony's legacy? What the hell?

Having your company put weaponized satellites into space, if not super illegal in a direct sense, still violates a hundred regulations and international treaties. And EDITH is completely useless as an orbital defense weapon but seems tailor made to be a Project INSIGHT-esque fascist tool of oppression, so the movie treats it like Tony's legacy? What the hell?
It's no more illegal than anything else Tony ever did as Iron Man, so obviously Stark Industries was allowed to do it (however that works in the MCU).

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am already excited, seeing Mr. Fantastic in the MCU.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Honestly feel like I watched a different movie whenever I hear this take.

I agree, it kinda reminds me of when Homecoming first came out.

Fans: We want something different. We're tried of the same old Spidey.
Feige: You know what? You're right. Let's shake things up.
Fans: *Pikachu :O before complaining about it being different*

But I mean as someone who just watched Spider Verse for the first time a few days ago, Peter and Miles in that seemed awfully similar to Tony and Peter in the MCU.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it kinda reminds me of when Homecoming first came out.

Fans: We want something different. We're tried of the same old Spidey.
Feige: You know what? You're right. Let's shake things up.
Fans: *Pikachu :O before complaining about it being different*

But I mean as someone who just watched Spider Verse for the first time a few days ago, Peter and Miles in that seemed awfully similar to Tony and Peter in the MCU.

Lol, the worst was the hyperbole about how much screentime Tony got in that.

Both movies spell out that he's his own person, that he'll never be Iron Man, but apparently its not enough for some people. Oh well I guess.

I'm still upset about JB Smoove being wasted a bit. He should have been the new Jonah Jameson.

While its indeed a shame his character didn't end up being of any real importance (I thought he was gonna be MJ's dad lol), I gotta say, seeing J. K. Simmons reprise the role made it pretty clear that this was the rare occasion where it was simply best to stick with what people already knew and loved.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Lol, the worst was the hyperbole about how much screentime Tony got in that.

Both movies spell out that he's his own person, that he'll never be Iron Man, but apparently its not enough for some people. Oh well I guess.

While its indeed a shame his character didn't end up being of any real importance (I thought he was gonna be MJ's dad lol), I gotta say, seeing J. K. Simmons reprise the role made it pretty clear that this was the rare occasion where it was simply best to stick with what people already knew and loved.

I don't love JK Simmons as Jameson again. It's like your local dive had a meal you liked, got rid of it, and brought it back with changes. It feels off. It certainly panders. It could have been executed better.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't love JK Simmons as Jameson again. It's like your local dive had a meal you liked, got rid of it, and brought it back with changes. It feels off. It certainly panders. It could have been executed better.

I don't really get that analogy, but eh, can't say I agree, that was a pretty damn amazing time to reveal his existence

Oct 28, 2017
This was disposable AF. It was enjoyable moment to moment but I can't see myself ever sitting down it watch it again. Can these Spidey Marvel movies actually start being about something?