MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Lasted until Neo Babylon 6-2 without picking up gold and then there was little piece right next to the exit door and i dropped on it lmao. I had shotgun and enough ropes for easy Tiamat kill. Fuck.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've gotten the true ending. I've been to both ultra secret end game areas. Played an ungodly amount of hours. Still haven't found a plasma cannon. The mothership is surprisingly difficult to get to.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've gotten the true ending. I've been to both ultra secret end game areas. Played an ungodly amount of hours. Still haven't found a plasma cannon. The mothership is surprisingly difficult to get to.
wow i'm not even close to getting the true ending but have gotten the plasma cannon already lol.
i saw a vid on an easy way to get to the mothership using the ice caves short cut lemme know if you want me to link it

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
The Mothership is easy to find. Just get extremely lucky and stumble upon it accidentally like Northernlion:

(Should start at 1:59:06)

Jan 10, 2018
So I'm at the final (?) boss and I need some help

So I'm at the weird mermaid lady and I have no idea how this figure ties in with anything else in the game. Anyway, I've been trying to get a gun from the shopkeeper at the Ice level but this only triggers him to guard every entrance in the techno level, which is just too much to handle. Is there any other effective way to deal with the mermaid lady that doesn't include a shotgun?

Good advice on how to deal with the final boss 🧜🏼‍♀️

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm at the final (?) boss and I need some help

So I'm at the weird mermaid lady and I have no idea how this figure ties in with anything else in the game. Anyway, I've been trying to get a gun from the shopkeeper at the Ice level but this only triggers him to guard every entrance in the techno level, which is just too much to handle. Is there any other effective way to deal with the mermaid lady that doesn't include a shotgun?

So you can actually cheese a shotgun from the guard outside Madame Tusk's VIP room. If you aren't allowed to enter but do so anyways, the guards get aggro'd. At this point, spam the button to keep entering and re-entering the room. There's a chance that the guard outside the entrance will get crushed by the moving vertical block that's pretty much always right there. At that point, free shotty. You can also just throw a stick bomb at one of those guards if you have one.

Otherwise, you'll have to cook bombs. Four direct hits to the face should do the trick. Gotta be careful with sticky bombs because if you throw them too early, she has a shock wave move that can repel them off of her prior to exploding.

Also, if you can get the scepter from Temple 4-1 and carry it with you, that pretty much destroys her in a second.

Jan 10, 2018
So you can actually cheese a shotgun from the guard outside Madame Tusk's VIP room. If you aren't allowed to enter but do so anyways, the guards get aggro'd. At this point, spam the button to keep entering and re-entering the room. There's a chance that the guard outside the entrance will get crushed by the moving vertical block that's pretty much always right there. At that point, free shotty. You can also just throw a stick bomb at one of those guards if you have one.

Otherwise, you'll have to cook bombs. Four direct hits to the face should do the trick. Gotta be careful with sticky bombs because if you throw them too early, she has a shock wave move that can repel them off of her prior to exploding.

Also, if you can get the scepter from Temple 4-1 and carry it with you, that pretty much destroys her in a second.

Thanks! I managed to do it with the shotgun from one of the guards at the club. It took me lots of tries though.

I noticed that there was a yellow stone on one of the statues to the entrance. Am I supposed to continue and try to unlock all stones somehow? I feel pretty much done with the game, even though it says I've only discovered 8/16 places. This is one of the hardest games I've played and I'm completely exhausted from finishing it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Got to the tidal pool lava room with the ankh

There's a jiangshi on the ceiling above the first gold spike statue in a one square wide alcove it can't hop out from and an axolotl on the second, I try to lure the jiangshi down by jumping on the gold statue, IMMEDIATELY the axolotl on the one further along bubbles me, I futily mash as the bubble raises me up, and up, jiangshi flips down on my head, sends me flying across the screen under the idol where there's also a hopping vampire and octopus which ping pong me into the spike statue eating up all my health and using up the ankh without me ever budging the idol to get the lava trap out, nor any of those events doing anything to it either.

JlQRAS2.gif

I've never seen more than two enemies in here before but the one time I have the ankh it's a freakin' party huh? Shoulda just hucked my remaining bombs and hoped for the best, bloody hell.

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I managed to do it with the shotgun from one of the guards at the club. It took me lots of tries though.

I noticed that there was a yellow stone on one of the statues to the entrance. Am I supposed to continue and try to unlock all stones somehow? I feel pretty much done with the game, even though it says I've only discovered 8/16 places. This is one of the hardest games I've played and I'm completely exhausted from finishing it.

I've never actually thought much about those stones, but I assume they get added once you reach a specific milestone (reach a certain area, defeat a particular boss). There are two other stones FWIW but I never paid attention to when they showed up so I have no idea what it takes to unlock them. But yeah, you've completed a "normal" run which itself is an accomplishment worth being proud of, so congrats on that. You can absolutely call it a day there and move on to something else, or you can keep going and try to find more of the hidden locations and bosses. The game is over whenever you say it is.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
I underestimated how frustrating can be Low Scorer trophy.
tenor.gif

btw how do you skip 1-4 mini boss? Does it work for this trophy run?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I second that. Mothership is very hard to get to.
It requires the most difficult route--Volcana>Temple.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I underestimated how frustrating can be Low Scorer trophy.
tenor.gif

btw how do you skip 1-4 mini boss? Does it work for this trophy run?
I just lost a low score run on
6-3.
It definitely stings. Thankfully by the time you're good enough to go for low score you can zip through the game pretty quickly.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
The Mothership is easy to find. Just get extremely lucky and stumble upon it accidentally like Northernlion:
I feel lied to by the way I discovered it the first time
I was having a good run, I think I goofed the ankh or something. But whatever it was, with my jetpack I decided to try investigating what that conspicuously exit in the wall below the yeti cave could be, and there just happened to be a nearby shopkeeper vault. I decided it was an oppurtunity to check in the background layer via that way, and I was completely blown away by the giant shopkeeper in a tube right under the vault.

Got sad once I realized I experienced an amazing coincidence

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
I like the game, but man... some of the design choices really rub me in the wrong way.

The 2nd stage with Olmec is straight up tiresome. The most convenient way to "pass" the 2nd stage is to jump back to the upper floor, do some chores at the house and then come back into the game when Olmec has destroyed the floor so the lava is visible.

Then there is the fight with Tiamat, which either is easy and painless fight when the player has the shotgun and few ropes. On the other hand, at least for me, the fight is pretty much impossible without actual weapons. Just got merked, since I only had handful of bombs and a whip.

Am I missing something obvious with this fight that makes is it manageable without having weapons? Or is it expected that the player has at least some gear when going into this fight?

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
After few days of fails finally unlocked Low Scorer. Shit is exhausting. My right hand started hurt from longer play session today. 😂
Now to think that i still have yet to do Millionaire trophy, which is probably even worse...

EkyPqXsXUAAalyH

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like the game, but man... some of the design choices really rub me in the wrong way.

The 2nd stage with Olmec is straight up tiresome. The most convenient way to "pass" the 2nd stage is to jump back to the upper floor, do some chores at the house and then come back into the game when Olmec has destroyed the floor so the lava is visible.

Then there is the fight with Tiamat, which either is easy and painless fight when the player has the shotgun and few ropes. On the other hand, at least for me, the fight is pretty much impossible without actual weapons. Just got merked, since I only had handful of bombs and a whip.

Am I missing something obvious with this fight that makes is it manageable without having weapons? Or is it expected that the player has at least some gear when going into this fight?

I 100% agree on Olmec, it's by far my biggest gripe with the game. There are of course ways to speed it up and do the fight in a more "legit" way, since Olmec actually has a third phase on the final floor that is basically always skipped. But there's risk with the bombs ping ponging around so the safe, time consuming boring strat is a no brainer to just dump him in the lava.

Tiamat is a bit odd, bombs work but you almost need to cook them a bit. If you have paste it's pretty simple, just drop it on the floor, pick it up and toss it on her face and it'll blow up before she yells. You can get on top of the side floors and whip normal bombs onto her too. I guess you can whip her face but I haven't done it that way.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Got to the tidal pool lava room with the ankh

There's a jiangshi on the ceiling above the first gold spike statue in a one square wide alcove it can't hop out from and an axolotl on the second, I try to lure the jiangshi down by jumping on the gold statue, IMMEDIATELY the axolotl on the one further along bubbles me, I futily mash as the bubble raises me up, and up, jiangshi flips down on my head, sends me flying across the screen under the idol where there's also a hopping vampire and octopus which ping pong me into the spike statue eating up all my health and using up the ankh without me ever budging the idol to get the lava trap out, nor any of those events doing anything to it either.

JlQRAS2.gif

I've never seen more than two enemies in here before but the one time I have the ankh it's a freakin' party huh? Shoulda just hucked my remaining bombs and hoped for the best, bloody hell.
Oh, are you talking about the one-way-door lava room? I wondered what the deal was in there.

Do you get the Ankh the same way as in the first game?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This game is incredibly hard, wow. I didn't even get out the Dwelling today lol. And I've gotten some wins already.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Man I fell off this massively. To be honest though, I played the first Spelunky largely handheld. Here's hoping for a certain system to get a port.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any point for reaching 7-10, 7-20 etc? Any Journal entries tied to these?

Yeah that gives you well over $600k.

That was the way you do this in Spelunky HD as well. You could earn a lot in first few levels.
Not sure if is possible normally. Maybe you can bomb the shit out of City of Gold if you have 50+ bombs?

This game is incredibly hard, wow. I didn't even get out the Dwelling today lol. And I've gotten some wins already.

Ain't no joke. I have well over 50 hours and while i've got better at it, this game still kicks my ass every now and then. There is reason why total trophies completion rate is only 0.1% on Steam and PSN.

Last edited:

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
still chipping away at this, very slowly. It's so much more branching (or at least it appears that way to me currently) than HD that I'm having a hard time committing to one direction and making progress. I've gotten over the Dwelling hump fairly reliably now, only occasionally being taken out by the miniboss when I slip up. Pretty sure I can make another big push for progress when I have the muscle memory down for Olmec.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
it's very interesting that the new top tier meta for dailies is how far you can get in the cosmic ocean rather than how many monies you've ghosted. this is a far better solution

Insomniac

Oct 27, 2017
it's very interesting that the new top tier meta for dailies is how far you can get in the cosmic ocean rather than how many monies you've ghosted. this is a far better solution

Completely agreed. There have been a handful of tweaks from the last game that have completely changed how I approach my runs now. Decreased emphasis on high score, improved shopkeeper AI, and quicker ghosts (among others) have turned me from a shopkeeper-murdering, vault-ghosting monster into a respectable, law-abiding patron, and it's exactly what I needed. Granted, I always could've played that way before, but the added incentive to be peaceful helps.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
woot finally beat
tiemat
on my second try at the boss, having a shotgun and jetpack makes the fight easy.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the tablet approved statue in 6-2, went to leave the room, on the way up I had to do one of those leap out from below a block and spin around to grab onto said block jumps you do a million times throughout the game....
And hit my head by a pixel, fell down, broke my legs and bounce into the one position on about 20 rows of blocks where I'm beneath an incoming moving block as I'm dazed

Current feeling

Impressively my indecision on where to try and land led to my demise as I made the WORST possible option

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Got the millionaire, low score, and speedlunky runs done. That leaves the big one. I've made a few attempts but I keep making dumb mistakes with it.

As for millionaire
it really does seem to boil down to robbing and ghosting Tusk's vault. I suppose going for all the shopkeeper vaults would help too though.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Man I fell off this massively. To be honest though, I played the first Spelunky largely handheld. Here's hoping for a certain system to get a port.

Derek went way too far over the top with the difficulty. It's not what made spelunky greatm the mechanics are still awesome and I'm still playing but it's not even close to as good as the original.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Derek went way too far over the top with the difficulty. It's not what made spelunky greatm the mechanics are still awesome and I'm still playing but it's not even close to as good as the original.
I don't know whether I just need to play it more. The game is difficult, but I can deal with moles/horned lizards pretty consistently now.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
For what is worth, this game got released right next to Hades and was kinda overshadowed?Have hard time convincing a friend to jump in lmao, when Spelunky 2 is much less popular, 50x times harder and hardly anyone talking about.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's quite dispiriting to make it to say,
Tide Pool
, then get absolutely destroyed by
that inescapable (?) lava room
, only to not get anywhere near again for ages. I also am not finding it as easy as most people to figure out all the secret shit in the game! Most of it remains a mystery to me.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand this game is really hard, on the other hand... it took me years to get to Hell in the original Spelunky and I would be bummed if I managed to find every secret in Spelunky 2 in a month.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

The recent patch did a lot of good smoothing out the initial difficulty in area 1. Getting that balance between challenging and frustrating is tricky, and one that Derek always tried to ride between.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I don't know whether I just need to play it more. The game is difficult, but I can deal with moles/horned lizards pretty consistently now.

They supposedly patched them to slow down the spawns and for like 2 days it definitely worked, I was fairly consistently getting to the sunken city. I don't know what the deal is but yesterday I had run after run with 3 moles and 2 horned lizards all in the same area at once spawning. The thing about this game as I've pointed out, is the pacing requires you to go slower in order to get through and have what you need to reach the secrets, but they're also so far away that it takes a 45-60 minute run just to get where you need to go, so if you're 35 minutes in and you get instakilled it's extra disheartening, not to mention the sheer amount of luck involved. You basically need the following- a cape or jetpack, 20+ bombs, paste (game over without this), spike shoes, spring shoes (not necessary but definitely helpful), etc. The black market kinda stinks this time around in that the items often are completely useless. Going the lava route you're really taking a massive chance because you absolutely need to luck into some paste. At least with the spiders and black market on the jungle route you have a better chance. It takes a ton of time at a safe place, with a ton of luck, so when you die after 40 minutes of it all finally lining up it's extremely disheartening.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017

One of the things I have noticed jumping between Spelunky 1 and 2 as of late (after not having touched 1 for a good few years for that matter) is that small changes like the reduced whip hitbox and less generous bounce detection it seems on enemies, combined with how more pinball esque things can be in 2, seem to lead to more touch of death situations.

It's like a bunch of small things add up to create the feeling of "I sure could die any time now from anything" even with 2 having such capacity for tons of health, that and the original also seems more generous with crates.
It's interesting looking at them side by side like this now, there's bits and pieces of 2 I think add and detract from the original, the game is in an odd place with me.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Spelunky 2 is a great follow up. It's not the greatest game ever made (like the first one is) but it's really freaking good. Him making it harder will definitely be divisive though. And there are certainly tedious parts to the loop.

Excited about that new patch hitting PS4.

OP
OP
janusff

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
i mean whatever. derek wanted to make spelunky a more dense and richer experience and i gotta say that he succeeded with that. nothing will be as magical as your first go with spelunky, kinda like souls games in that regard. but looking at this title, i kinda feel it's better in just about every way. couldn't be more pleased with this game.