• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know how to get a degrees path in the sky from a location in the UK - where exactly to look when it flies over?

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
The range is currently red, meaning if T-0 was right now the launch would be scrubbed. We'll have to wait and see if the weather clears up in time

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's annoying that Elon comes off as kind of likable in these interviews knowing what I do about his Twitter persona.

I'm having to actively do a lot of separating the art from the artist. Guess that's what comes with playing the game.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The head of NASA is a capitalist. He was going on earlier today about supply and demand and how the government can't provide both the supply and demand.

This is a very different NASA.

Bolden wasn't? He started this partnership...

Obviously this is different but NASA is largely continuing on what basically bush started

Turnbl

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it works in Star Trek right?

But the vehicle is basically fully autonomous (I mean, how many times has the Dragon succesfully reached the ISS and returned, 20 times or something?); altough there will be some manual flying during this test-run. Altough I do wonder about the redudancy; one could argue that hooking up a 'smart touchscreen' and have a backup screen (or two) might be much more efficient than all the wiring and complexity involved with manual controls.

It's ok I can see the manual button panel now. I literally thought it was just 3 screens.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
couldnt help making this one:

431j5e.jpg

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Only an hour to go. I'm surprised this hasn't been cancelled yet given the inclement weather.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
Right. So how does Falcon return to earth? Just comes straight down from orbit when it releases Crew Dragon?
The first stage does not get into orbit. It basically falls out of space and uses whats left of the rocket fuel to land on a barge in the ocean. The smaller second stage is what completes the orbit but it is going way too fast to return. The atmosphere burns it up

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Right. So how does Falcon return to earth? Just comes straight down from orbit when it releases Crew Dragon?
The first stage only goes part of the way to orbit. Its job is to get the 2nd stage up and out of the atmosphere as quickly as possible. After the second stage separates, it falls back down and lands.
The second stage, although much smaller, actually does most of the work getting the capsule up to orbital speed.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
Flight testing all of the systems with humans on board. Not sure what their plans are for the iss outside of the vehicle tests. I'm Nasa will fill up their schedule as always. I think they said teor mission was expanded to about a month from 2 weeks.
Could go as long as 4 months if they're happy with the vehicle

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
'Is musk the Henry Ford of the space industry?' piece on the broadcast right now. This whole thing is a hell of a PR boost for him.

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Excited to see this!

Are these two astronauts going to have a long stay on the ISS?

Also, in case anyone missed it, here are the weather checklist for launch?

Current stay length is not really known (I think the estimate is 1-4 months?). Issue is the solar panels on the Dragon trunk will degrade over time, so depending on how well they do, they'll extend the mission as needed.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it me or does the new facade on the tower make it look like one of the original WTC towers?