• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Citation needed. Outside of REVII and Rush of Blood what is there? I'm genuinely curious as horror is my favorite genre and would love to discover more horror stuff for PSVR.
Those two particular games are from the beginning of the PSVR's launch so I take it you haven't followed it too closely since then.

Some great ones are...
1) The Persistence
2) The Exorcist Legion VR
3) Brookhaven Experiment
4) Paranormal Activity VR

and some decent to good ones are...
5) Don't Knock Twice(kinda short but very atmostpheric with some decent jump scares)
6) Arizona Sunshine( more action/zombie than pure horror I guess)

Horror games for PSVR - Here's a google link that should give you a good assortment of most that have come out, though it's missing some like Ubisoft's Transference. I played the demo which was a bit scary to me(some jump scares plus dark atmosphere) but it's labeled as a psychological thriller. I haven't bought the full game yet though.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love Sony's silence. Let all the pretenders do all the talking while Sony sits back, releases exclusive masterpieces and continues to dominate like they have since 1995.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
The list was supposed to be about big AAA titles. I dont think VR games, yearly sports titles, DLC expansions count as AAA. Cant believe you are asking me to include knack. lol

I should have included Gravity Rush and SOTC remake though. Forgot about those.

I left out plenty of those games for the PS3 as well. Journey, Flower, Pupeteer, Folklore, trash like Lair and Haze (the knacks of the PS3 era), all yearly MLB The Show titles, dozens of Move titles like Sports Champions, Fight Night etc.

The point is that their output is down. I am NOT saying their output has been bad. I am saying there is room for more. They could afford to shutdown studios like Evolution Studios, Zipper, Bigbig Studios, London Studios, Incognito and GG Cambridge this gen because Nintendo dropped the ball with the Wii U and MS practically handed the gen to Sony by first releasing a tv focused kinect based console and then spending the next crucial four years cancelling games instead of investing in first party studios they are finally doing now. That will not be the case next gen. Switch is selling extremely well for some weird reason, and MS will definitely start next gen strong and have several great exclusives to show.

All I am saying is that Sony needs to get ONE multiplayer shooter studio and ONE RPG studio. Whats so wrong with that? They could spinoff one of their first party studios and create multiple teams within each studio completely independent so they dont overlap like they did back in those dark 2014 days when Amy, Stig and Justin Richmond all left within weeks of each other. There used to be some incredibly talented multiplayer designers over at Zipper, Guerrila Games and Insomniac. Create a multinational studio with multiplayer devs from these studios and have them work together to create one big online shooter.

Cory wants to make a new IP. Give him a brand new team with 200 people. Dont give him a skeleton crew so they can waste the next four years prototyping waiting for GoW2 to finish. Get him going asap. Horizon took 6 years because most of the team was working on KZ SF. That shouldve been Guerrila Cambridge. Completely different studios. No overlap.

Their output isn't down. It just isn't where you want it to be. Just say that you would have preferred if they never made a Vita or PSVR and put absolutely everything into one basket. Too bad. They didn't and most companies want to penetrate as many markets as they can a lot of the time. Either follow them in whatever direction they'd like to go or stop trying to pass some narrative that they aren't what they used to be since you chose not to own a PSVR or Vita.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their output isn't down. It just isn't where you want it to be. Just say that you would have preferred if they never made a Vita or PSVR and put absolutely everything into one basket. Too bad. They didn't and most companies want to penetrate as many markets as they can a lot of the time. Either follow them in whatever direction they'd like to go or stop trying to pass some narrative that they aren't what they used to be since you chose not to own a PSVR or Vita.

They supported the psp besides the ps3 pretty damn well. They are definitely down and should talk about new studios and expanding existing ones.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
By the end of the gen we will have had (excluding MLB)

Killzone Shadow Fall
Driveclub
LittleBigPlanet 3
Until Dawn
Infamous Second Son / First Light
The Order 1886
Bloodborne
Gran Turismo Sports
Uncharted 4/ Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Ratchet & Clank
Detroit
Spider-Man
Days Gone
Dreams
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
... Maybe Death Stranding too, not sure of the scope.

As opposed to the PS3 with

Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
The Last of Us
Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 6
Socom 4
Resistance
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Ratchet & Clank ToD
Ratchet & Clank AciT
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Infamous
Infamous 2
LittlebigPlanet
LittlebigPlanet2
Heavy Rain
Beyond 2 Souls
Demon's Souls
Heavenly Sword
Dragon's Lair
Motorstorm
Motorstorm Pacific Rift
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Mag
Warhawk
Starhawk

So yeah, it's about half as much (for good reason, studios weren't able to iterate as much due to production demands, and over a shorter period), but it's more than 10.

Another big reason is games have more content\ bigger than before .
Just look at GOW and UC4 compare the PS3 versions .
Which is something that some people don't take into account .

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
They supported the psp besides the ps3 pretty damn well. They are definitely down and should talk about new studios and expanding existing ones.
That was their first foray into the dedicated handheld market which Nintendo was already dominating with the Gameboy and DS. Of course, they would have wanted to go as hard as possible. And seeing as the PSP was doing quite well, I'm pretty sure that helped keep the PlayStation brand in good graces with the populace since the PS3 had a rough start.

They may not have been buying up new studios but they have been partnering with a hell of a lot of small to midsize ones for exclusives on PSVR. Also, we know they started an Uncharted Studio and a VR-dedicated Studio along with expanding Guerilla Games studio.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
not going to e3 was a bad decision, even if you dont have a lot of 1st party news, you can still make a great conference with 3rd parties and indies.

funny thing is sony proved that themselves in past e3s.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not going to e3 was a bad decision, even if you dont have a lot of 1st party news, you can still make a great conference with 3rd parties and indies.

funny thing is sony proved that themselves in past e3s.

They did that last E3, but people still complained about seeing the same games, not going this year was the right call.

Though I think the intermission was the only bad part in retrospect, I really enjoyed seeing the games speak for themselves.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was their first foray into the dedicated handheld market which Nintendo was already dominating with the Gameboy and DS. Of course, they would have wanted to go as hard as possible. And seeing as the PSP was doing quite well, I'm pretty sure that helped keep the PlayStation brand in good graces with the populace since the PS3 had a rough start.

They may not have been buying up new studios but they have been partnering with a hell of a lot of small to midsize ones for exclusives on PSVR. Also, we know they started an Uncharted Studio and a VR-dedicated Studio along with expanding Guerilla Games studio.

That's fair. they are doing alot for VR but it's bad if a normal ps user is missing out compared to last gen because of it.

They need a two team structure if they are expanding the studios.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely ridiculous. Their AAA output is down. They were making PSP games and Move games and Vita games last gen too and still managed to put to MORE AAA games as shown above. Their output is down. period. they own fewer studios. period. stop trying to pretend 2+2 doesnt equal 4. its embarrassing.

The fact of the matter is that they were losing billions of dollars early last gen and still went out and invested in first party studios and second party games. They knew that in the end games matter. That is literally all i am saying here. Just invest in one goddamn RPG and one multiplayer shooter. They had over 10 of those last gen and only 2 this gen.

1. Resistance
  2. Warhawk
  3. MGS4
  4. Socom Confrontation
  5. Resistance 2
  6. KZ2
  7. Uncharted 2
  8. MAG
  9. KZ3
  10. Resistance 3
  11. Uncharted 3
  12. Starhawk
  13. TLOU
This gen
  1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Uncharted 4
  3. TLOU2
Dont tell people who are fans of Sony precisely because they created fantastic alternatives to CoD and Halo last gen to piss off. Dont tell fans of Sony who stuck by Sony BECAUSE of the diversity of their lineup and bought the PS4 on Day 1 on the promise of that diversity to piss off. And especially dont tell people to love it or leave it when they are asking for MORE games for you, not less.

With more and more first person shooter devs turning to trash modes like BR, we need Sony's talented online multiplayer designers to go back and give us alternatives to fads like BR just like they did with CoD last gen. With more and more RPG devs making shit like Anthem and Fallout 76, we need Sony to go and make RPGs to fill that void in the market that hasnt been filled since Witcher 3 came out 4 years ago. Not a single great AAA RPG since.

I will never understand why people old enough for college and work email accounts would stan for companies instead of wanting them to invest in MORE games. its shocking to see that here. i feel like i am back in Gamespot System Wars forums sometimes.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
There's nothing to fear. Sony will be fine even if they continue to stay the course. Playing a video game will make you feel better than waiting around for marketing to happen.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Sony has the best upcoming slate of exclusives for any console holder, they are market leader and many of their studios are prepping for nextgen.

I don't mind their current silence, as long as they will promote their remaining PS4 games properly. Days Gone is first up, and Dreams early access is after it.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
"Keeping us in the dark" lol they are launching a game next month, what is Phil doing? Oh yeah, talking, a lot.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how the Quantic Dreams news hurts Playstation consumers.

I'm not big on being drip fed "Hold on! HOLD ON IT'S COMING!" news. Just let me know when you have something to show.

It's not like they've shown us nothing in a year

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure did you have best intentions to name Sonys output or you deliberately left out games just to show how Sonys output this gen looks bad ( as Barsi stated in next post when he quoted you, ROFL ), but where is the MLB, VR games, Knack, InFamous : First Light, Shadow Of The Colossus, Everybody's Golf, Gravity Rush, Helldivers and so on? Btw. you left out bunch of games for PS3 too.
Yeah, I fully convinced some ppl are trolling now.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The narrative by OP and supporting posters is confusing. The PlayStation Blog exists, and has both news and behind the scenes from devs.

Several figuredheads from PS and WorldWide studios chat on Twitter, and put out videos on the official YouTube. PS Underground is even back.

Maybe you're not paying attention, or are used to simply being fed speeches instead of having games to play?

I mean, there is even a (weekly?) podcast they call the "Blogcast":

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
This is absolutely ridiculous. Their AAA output is down. They were making PSP games and Move games and Vita games last gen too and still managed to put to MORE AAA games as shown above. Their output is down. period. they own fewer studios. period. stop trying to pretend 2+2 doesnt equal 4. its embarrassing.

The fact of the matter is that they were losing billions of dollars early last gen and still went out and invested in first party studios and second party games. They knew that in the end games matter. That is literally all i am saying here. Just invest in one goddamn RPG and one multiplayer shooter. They had over 10 of those last gen and only 2 this gen.

1. Resistance
  2. Warhawk
  3. MGS4
  4. Socom Confrontation
  5. Resistance 2
  6. KZ2
  7. Uncharted 2
  8. MAG
  9. KZ3
  10. Resistance 3
  11. Uncharted 3
  12. Starhawk
  13. TLOU
This gen
  1. Killzone Shadow Fall
  2. Uncharted 4
  3. TLOU2
Dont tell people who are fans of Sony precisely because they created fantastic alternatives to CoD and Halo last gen to piss off. Dont tell fans of Sony who stuck by Sony BECAUSE of the diversity of their lineup and bought the PS4 on Day 1 on the promise of that diversity to piss off. And especially dont tell people to love it or leave it when they are asking for MORE games for you, not less.

With more and more first person shooter devs turning to trash modes like BR, we need Sony's talented online multiplayer designers to go back and give us alternatives to fads like BR just like they did with CoD last gen. With more and more RPG devs making shit like Anthem and Fallout 76, we need Sony to go and make RPGs to fill that void in the market that hasnt been filled since Witcher 3 came out 4 years ago. Not a single great AAA RPG since.

I will never understand why people old enough for college and work email accounts would stan for companies instead of wanting them to invest in MORE games. its shocking to see that here. i feel like i am back in Gamespot System Wars forums sometimes.
I AM that same fan you're speaking of dude. Those 3 AAA games you mention at the end pretty much shit on every one of the previous 13 games that you mention in graphical fidelity and scope due to this industry's extreme reliance on BIGGER & REALISTIC games.

However, their output of exclusives has not dwindled when bringing PSVR & Vita or even their mobile initiative PlayLink into the fray and I'm sticking by that. I have all 3 and have dabbled with PlayLink alongside some friends/family and have enjoyed this gen immensely.

Once again. They. Are. Trying. To. Penetrate. Multiple. Markets.

But yes, they do need a big traditional turn-based band of heroes RPG though. I'll agree with you on that fact.

Last edited:

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely ridiculous. Their AAA output is down.

A game needs to fit the criteria of first, best or must for them to consider investing in. I can see they want to more GOTY level games from now on.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The narrative by OP and supporting posters is confusing. The PlayStation Blog exists, and has both news and behind the scenes from devs.

Several figuredheads from PS and WorldWide studios chat on Twitter, and put out videos on the official YouTube. PS Underground is even back.

Maybe you're not paying attention, or are used to simply being fed speeches instead of having games to play?

I mean, there is even a (weekly?) podcast they call the "Blogcast":

None of this counts for reasons.
Upcoming games don't count for reasons.

I going on media blackout for Days Gone...yet they are dead silent....

Got any more of dem crazy pills?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
what should they be saying OP?

Games take longer to make yet we have tons coming, yet your ignoring that. With that in mind, there's nothing they realistically COULD say

Jan 17, 2019
The list was supposed to be about big AAA titles. I dont think VR games, yearly sports titles, DLC expansions count as AAA. Cant believe you are asking me to include knack. lol
MLB is a big AAA title, yet you included The Lost Legacy ( This also a STANDALONE DLC EXPANSION, yet you included it ) which came out year after U4. So, 2 Uncharted games in 2 year, yet MLB can't be included. Doesn't make sense. Really!
Yet also you included The Last Guardian and Ratchet Remake. So, Astro Bot for example is in that ball-park and Knack 1 and 2 also. LOL. A problem? Yes, i said that you left out PS3 games too.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
they keep us in the dark
lol....

They have big new AAA IP coming next month, and three big ones ( Dreams, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima ) with another huge massive one ( The Last of Us 2 ) in the next 12-16 months... plus many other projects from their studios and 3rd parties.

I don't want talk.. I want games being released which we are getting so good enough for me and many others as well.

tareqsalah

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I would like to think SONY is watching and listening and making careful and measured plans.

They don't have to say anything now. This year they have strong exclusives.

When a year passes by without exclusives and announcements then people can complain.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If Sony wanted to stop QD they would've bought them years and years ago. They were never first party and I'm sure down the road they'll work together again just like with insomniac.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Threads like these (and so many others that populate the gaming side fairly regularly) are 100% about console wars, despite so many in this community acting like they are above all of that and just want this ubiquitous gaming utopia where everything is everywhere and companies don't matter.
Yep,console wars rhetoric is as bad here as any other forum tbh,only difference is better moderation.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, nobody is shitting on Playstation.

If nobody wanted to hear more, that would be troubling and a red flag.

I think since the beginning of the gen and Shuhei, Adam and the lot being so prolific, it seems very strange at the moment with the silence.

Not literal silence, just a sense of Sony going into the background - it's understandable, a new gen is coming.

I miss seeing Shu on stage, the hype trains, the hype, the poems (lol what a throwback to GAF if anyone remembers that thread) and the excitement.

It seems like anybody in the know is either not talking, hasn't got the info or is not willing to even wink the wrong way.

Something is definitely coming, but the wait feels like 2012.

I just finished Horizon and to see what can be achieved with the sequel is a thought.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018

There is nothing wrong in wanting them to make more games and invest in new studios but you yourself admitted, the cost of development of AAA titles has ballooned too much in this generation. Naughty Dog was able to pump out an Uncharted trilogy in space of 5 years last gen, whereas it took Santa Monica the exact time to make God of War. While ND remain most efficient of all FP studios, even they can't deliver AAA titles every 2 years like last gen.

Also, while Sony are not acquiring new studios, they are expanding their current ones. Guerrilla has grown into a huge studio after success of Horizon. ND, SSM have grown in size over the years plus they just made a new studio in San Diego. They are investing a lot, it's just that the production quality required in modern AAA titles is pushing the cost a lot hence the quantity is reduced. I'd much prefer them put out 9/10 AAA title than multiple 5-6/10 AAA title.

I'm confused about this post, do you not consider Horizon Zero Dawn as an RPG? Even something like God of War which had ton of RPG elements in it.

Coming to MP shooter part, I just feel market is way too saturated with them for them to pour huge resources in it. COD and BF release annually, then you have Bungie with Destiny. EA with Anthem and F2P games like Fortnite and Apex.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
There is nothing wrong in wanting them to make more games and invest in new studios but you yourself admitted, the cost of development of AAA titles has ballooned too much in this generation. Naughty Dog was able to pump out an Uncharted trilogy in space of 5 years last gen, whereas it took Santa Monica the exact time to make God of War. While ND remain most efficient of all FP studios, even they can't deliver AAA titles every 2 years like last gen.

Also, while Sony are not acquiring new studios, they are expanding their current ones. Guerrilla has grown into a huge studio after success of Horizon. ND, SSM have grown in size over the years plus they just made a new studio in San Diego. They are investing a lot, it's just that the production quality required in modern AAA titles is pushing the cost a lot hence the quantity is reduced. I'd much prefer them put out 9/10 AAA title than multiple 5-6/10 AAA title.

I'm confused about this post, do you not consider Horizon Zero Dawn as an RPG? Even something like God of War which had ton of RPG elements in it.

Coming to MP shooter part, I just feel market is way too saturated with them for them to pour huge resources in it. COD and BF release annually, then you have Bungie with Destiny. EA with Anthem and F2P games like Fortnite and Apex.
I believe he's a traditionalist of a turn-based band of heroes type game when it comes to "RPGs". But yes, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are like action adventure games with heavy RPG elements.

As for MP shooters, there are great first person shooters that aren't BR such as Firewall Zero Hour and Farpoint for PSVR using Sony's aptly built PSVR Aim controller that feels great and has exceptional precision when designed into the game well, but he wouldn't care about that either.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Totally agree OP. Pretty sure you knew what kinda reaction this was gonna get here but I feel the same as you and hope they start being more interactive with their audience. Even if they dont "have" to cause they will be fine just floating along its always nice to see them engage the community and keep in talks with them instead of being secluded.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
everybody: cloud gaming, no discs, partnership, etc.

sony:
giphy.gif

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Sony isn't my friend, I don't need them to communicate with me, they need to make their products available for me to buy.

Jan 17, 2019
I believe he's a traditionalist of a turn-based band of heroes type game when it comes to "RPGs". But yes, Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War are like action adventure games with heavy RPG elements.

As for MP shooters, there are great first person shooters that aren't BR such as Firewall Zero Hour and Farpoint for PSVR using Sony's aptly built PSVR Aim controller that feels great and has exceptional precision when designed into the game well, but he wouldn't care about that either.

HZD is registered as an Action RPG. Well, YOU can said which genre is HZD however you like. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.