• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Weird timing, you'd think he would at least wait until the PS5 was out the door unless there was pressure pushing him out now for some reason even though their PS4 titles are super successful.

Urthor

Oct 28, 2017
Sony actually has a very scary transition coming up because they took a *lot* of money out of the gaming division as overhead to support Sony's struggling and non-performing consumer electronics legacy assets and other random things Japanese big business spends $$$ on.

Sony did absolutely mint money for this generation with their install base but how they operate next gen where the Xbox management team *doesn't* do its best impression of a coked up lemming is a big question mark.

Whether they can keep tithing to the rest of the corporation to basically underwrite the annual Sony shareholder meeting if the install base is 50/50 or 60/40 either way will be a huge question for their business.

Oct 31, 2017
I guess I kind of figured it would happen soon since there's been a new head after a generation begins the past two gens (Kaz was E3ing during the PS2 days, Tretton PS3, Layden PS4).

Didn't expect it before E3 2020, though. I really enjoyed him. He seems like a lovely person, what with his devotion to LGBTQ inclusion (he attends pride parades) and getting more women into game development (to which he convened with Nintendo and Microsoft people at the same event).

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
EFtCHfFUEAA57Kx

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I had to guess, it could be because of the end of the generation. I mean, look, Reggie also left at a similar time at Nintendo, even though their generation cycles are little off from Microsoft and Sony.
I don't think Reggie left because of the generational cycle, given that we're barely halfway through Switch's gen. I think he was just ready to retire considering he was president for 13 years, he's almost in his 60s by now and based on his current endeavors it seems like he just wants to spend his remaining current active years working on mentoring. To be fair, Shawn is the same age, but it very much looks like he was forced out in comparison.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really gotta say I just feel nothing from this news. If he left on his own terms, cool. Good for him.

If he got forced out because of internal bullshit, that's too bad, but I probably won't miss him. He never did anything during his tenure that mattered to me.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Ryan comments on backwards compatibility and crossplay, compared to Shawn Layden appeareance with all his rivals on the game awards show, reflects the internal struggle of the company and PS5 strategy. I wonder what this means for BC and crossplay in the future, I can see both things quietly shelved due to Jim Ryan personal views on the brand.

Probably only big partners will get cross play at the best.

Jake_brake

Sep 13, 2018
It was only a formality. Neil Druckmann plans to run both Sony studies and continue as vice president on ND.

Even heard he had political aspirations but those are on the back burner.

Jun 23, 2019
Sony actually has a very scary transition coming up because they took a *lot* of money out of the gaming division as overhead to support Sony's struggling and non-performing consumer electronics legacy assets and other random things Japanese big business spends $$$ on.

Sony did absolutely mint money for this generation with their install base but how they operate next gen where the Xbox management team *doesn't* do its best impression of a coked up lemming is a big question mark.

Whether they can keep tithing to the rest of the corporation to basically underwrite the annual Sony shareholder meeting if the install base is 50/50 or 60/40 either way will be a huge question for their business.

There is a lot of concern in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.