• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He and Reggie should stream E3 reactions together in Statler and Waldorf personas, rippping into everything.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Is he definitely leaving Sony? Tweet just says leaving SIE, could he possibly be moving to a different division?
This is what I would like to know. He was supposed to be behind the Playstation productions which is the movie division so maybe he is going to be involved 100% in that.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
I'm bummed he isn't going to be apart of Sony, but I hope he finds an awesome job elsewhere! Enjoy!

Who is left for being the "face" of Playstation? Shu and...
iu

Jim...Ryan...

He was the whistle blower

Thank you for this, haha

Edit: He's been with Sony since 1987. That's a long time, I had no idea! I hope he's well!

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really sad news. He played his part in making PlayStation what it is today. Hope he lands somewhere great. Sucks that the people who put Sony on top have left/are leaving (i.e. House, Boyes, Layden)

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
What the fuck.

I remember a interview he gave a while ago where he talked about his career and how Kaz specifically asked for him to oversee something regarding PS when he got to president, since he completely trusted him to handle the job despite Shawn not being to keen at first iirc.

So many people leaving these past few years, I just hope the replacements don't fuck things up and go on a completely different direction. Won't hold my breath though.

morrigan8bit

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
It is difficult to say what is going on behind the scenes at Sony as all we can do is speculate.

But it is fun speculating.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

This tweet was liked by john Drake, a former Sony employee.

Yeah, I'm not one for rumors but the announcement kind of implies an internal struggle. This was a sudden announcement made through the Playstation Twitter. It's not like Layden himself announced he would be stepping down soon [insert date]. It was a very sudden, "Shawn Layden is out."

Feb 10, 2018
With tretton, house and layden gone I wonder if the stratagy and vision for PS5 will be different?

Layden is 58, being high up at must be tough probably wants to spend time with his family.

I never knew layden went from CEO of SCEA to chairman of worldwide studios.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
They've already lost a metric ton of people the last few years. Shu is the only one who has survived. He is the only figurehead. I wonder if E3 is now completely dead.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Whaaaat?! Whyyyy???

He didn't even stay for PS5 reveal, what is happening!? Adam Boyes, Andrew House, Jack Tretton, and now Shawn have all left. This sucks.
Only Cerny and Shu are left, and I don't know if Cerny is even an official Sony employee or on contract.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Internal power struggle over what? Who gets to sit on the money couch?

I mean shit, how do these companies always have so many problems when they are in the middle of printing actual fucking money.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they find someone more energetic for E3. I remember when they had the TLOU2 tent and I nearly fell asleep.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
It being so sudden makes me hope it's not in any way related to bad news like health issues. He did a fantastic job running SIE for the last few years, and I wish him nothing but the best.

Byakura

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
wow that seems really outta nowhere, will definitely be missed. Wish him the best of luck in the future

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
And now Phil reigns supreme in the jacket/game t-shirt combo wars.

For real though, hope it's nothing too bad (especially health issues) given the sudden departure.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the wrong person in charge just a good year away from the PS5 launch...
I'm more sceptical towards what the PS5 will be. You can fuck up a lot with the wrong leadership

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this might happen, but I thought it would happen after the PS5 launch.
Really interesting timing here and very sudden. Wonder what happened...

I'll miss him.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Hope the next WWS boss will have the same vision Shawn had

Wish him the best

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
This Gen a lot of people have left the industry and it's sad.

Man I wished he stayed longer

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Internal power struggle over what? Who gets to sit on the money couch?

I mean shit, how do these companies always have so many problems when they are in the middle of printing actual fucking money.
Without knowing specific details, power struggles at the top levels of a company can often just be an issue of differing visions. And at some point, you start to wonder why this other person who is very obviously wrong about what they want from your perspective is standing in your way with disagreements and preventing you from getting things done.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people claiming controversy or being surprised at people leaving at the end of a massively successful gen after many years of service.

From that tweet I just hope it's not health issues.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He's been with PlayStation since the very beginning. Makes me think something happened for it to be this arupt.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Liked him and wish him well. But I feel Andrew House was a much bigger loss. He set the tone for this generation of Playstation. He was charismatic, smart and an excellent communicator. His delivery was more direct and cleaner than Layden's.

All that said, he's obviously been doing the business since he took the role on, so congrats on a job well done.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to piss on anyone's grave but i never really liked him. He took over and immediately turned e3 into a trailer direct. Coming from amazing 2015 and 2016 e3s, i expected them to continue that fornula but from what i heard he didn't like going up on the stage. That's understandable but i didn't like the conferences under him.

Killing the e3 conference this year was even worse. Just do a small conference. Show something. You can't just not show up to the party just because you are in the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.