• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
UPDATE: See threadmark.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CSK&D is investigating a potential class action based upon reports that Sony PS5 DualSense controllers for the PlayStation 5 console can experience drift issues and/or fail prematurely. Specifically, it is reported that the joystick on certain PS5 DualSense controllers will automatically register movement when the joystick is not being controlled and interfere with gameplay.

If you own a PS5 Dualsense controller experiencing drift issues, please contact the attorney(s) listed below by filling out the form provided.

So yeah, just found out that this is happening. I don't know when this showed up, but it's starting to trend online.

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I cant really tell from this if PS5 controller drift is actually widespread like with Joycons, or if the class action lawsuit against Nintendo for their Joycon problems just paved the way for lawsuits of this kind from now on.

I'd say the latter for now, but not sure.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
DS4 drift was certainly a thing. I wish there had been a class action for it.

My DS5 is still good so I really hope drift isn't a major problem.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
This is a random law firm trying to make a lawsuit based on online reports.
Joy-cons got a dozen of those until the ''real ones'' started to appear.

Hyaku Shiki

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Does anything ever come of these? Nintendo has these lawsuits, as well as Microsoft. Do these companies ever fix the issue? Serious question.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I cant really tell from this if PS5 controller drift is actually widespread like with Joycons, or if the class action lawsuit against Nintendo for their Joycon problems just paved the way for lawsuits of this kind from now on.

Thing is...that's how it was with Joycons at first too. Threads were full of people saying 'it's not widespread, people are exaggerating' and then obviously it turned out to be one of the biggest videogame electronic issues in memory.

It could very well be the same for Sony. We don't know. For me I'm going to assume the worst and hope for the best.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does anything ever come of these? Nintendo has these lawsuits, as well as Microsoft. Do these companies ever fix the issue? Serious question.

Going off the joy-con issue, survey says no. I bought a new pair (blue and yellow) a month ago and still have the drifting issue. I've learned to live with it.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this actually a widespread problem? I only ask because I don't know anyone from my friends group experiencing the issues on PS5 or with the Series X. I know that is anecdotal at best, but when compared to the Joycon problem where everyone was bitching about it I just haven't heard anything about this.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Is this actually a widespread problem? I only ask because I don't know anyone from my friends group experiencing the issues on PS5 or with the Series X. I know that is anecdotal at best, but when compared to the Joycon problem where everyone was bitching about it I just haven't heard anything about this.

There are some impacted users (like myself), and a bunch of reddit-posts and people on Era; but if you account for the fact that 4.5 million PS5s have been sold its kinda hard to get some real numbers at the moment.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Funny thing is that I actually used Astro's Playroom which comes with every PS5 to illustrate the issue at the store, when you start the game it shows a virtual controller, and you could clearly see the right stick moving while not even touching the controller.

Oct 27, 2017
There's no way to know, only Sony would be in a position to see how many controllers are being reported as defective and only they would know if it's a widespread problem or just a bad batch parts.

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmmm I get the switch joycon class action as that had been on going for some time with no resolution in site, but ain't all Dual Sense controllers under warrenty at the moement and is free to repair or replace if broken?

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm I get the switch joycon class action as that had been on going for some time with no resoltuion in site, but ain't all Dual Sense controllers under warrenty at the moement and is free to repair or replace if broken?

I guess, in some countries, they're making consumers pay to send them in. Someone from Canada was saying that Sony Canada wanted $25 for the shipping.

I suppose a positive change would be for them to swallow that cost?

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
I want to say they're just trying to be the first to capitalize on the publicity generated by Kotaku, but I don't have any data to go by so 🤷‍♂️. It's just very odd to me that the sticks are similar to the DS4, which is the #1 selling console accessory, so if it was that widespread a lot more people should have it.

Just to clarify, it's obviously an issue, I just don't think it's going to affect as many people.

Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 controller is experiencing this and it's annoying as hell. The right stick just does whatever the hell it wants to do. Not going to go through the hassle of sending it back for repair, just going to get a new one....

Oct 27, 2017
There are some impacted users (like myself), and a bunch of reddit-posts and people on Era; but if you account for the fact that 4.5 million PS5s have been sold its kinda hard to get some real numbers at the moment.
To also add to this — even if the failure rate was something extremely low like 0.5% then that would be like 22.5k units (not including separate DS5 purchases).

Then even if only half of those were to complain about it online then that would be >10k reports. 10k reports for example would be enough to make something look like a huge issue online, when it might not be be reflective of what's happening at scale. Not to downplay the possibility that it could be a huge widespread issue — its just that without a large enough data set, you can't tell how widespread it really is. Only retailers getting returns and Sony as the manufacturer would know the full numbers.

If they are fucking up at a disproportionate rate then I'd hate to see things play out like the JoyCon situation. The best thing Sony could do would be to get out in front of it rapidly, revise the hw and offer replacements for affected controllers.

My PS5 controller is experiencing this and it's annoying as hell. The right stick just does whatever the hell it wants to do. Not going to go through the hassle of sending it back for repair, just going to get a new one....

I know it seems annoying but its best to send it back. Getting accurate data on how many of these are going bad is the only way that stuff like this gets fixed. (Also on a personal level I hate seeing companies accessory revenues benefit by people giving in and paying to fix their mistakes)

Oct 26, 2017
Drift happened to me with every PS4 controller I've ever had. I always thought it was just part of wear and tear. No issues yet with the PS5 ones, thankfully.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah they make you call them, and offer no real online support...

Which might work on me, I hate waiting on hold lol

Oct 25, 2017
I've never experienced drift over 4 generations of controllers. Am I... a god? I wonder if it's because I spend minimal time playing FPS games, which presumably require a ton of stick clicking relative to many genres.

I hope that we get some actual numbers out of this investigation if nothing else.

BusterSword

May 10, 2019
Daytona Beach, FL
I've owned at least 6 ds4 controllers over the course of the ps4 and absolutely abused the shit out of them.
My ds5 was drifting worse than any of them on day 1 fresh out of the box.
This is 100% on Sony and why so many people want to downplay this is beyond me.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The PS5 has been on the market for three months and is heavily supply constrained, so there's really no way to know yet if this problem is widespread. Three months into the life of Switch was the same. That's not really enough time to know how serious an issue is yet. We'll have a better idea when more systems and controllers are on the market and have seen regular use for a longer period of time.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good thing about this starting this early is that we'll be able to see how widespread it is sooner, and while I'm hoping it ends up being just faulty units in minimal numbers (because I don't want to go through the drift lottery again), we'll just have to wait and see. I'm gonna knock on wood too... just in case.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I guess, in some countries, they're making consumers pay to send them in. Someone from Canada was saying that Sony Canada wanted $25 for the shipping.

I suppose a positive change would be for them to swallow that cost?

WTF. I hope whoever this was refused to pay. No company worth their salt does this. If it's out of warranty that's something else entirely.

I am debating contacting them regarding the coil whine in my PS5 but after reading the coil whine mega thread (here and elsewhere), and seeing people who ended up with louder replacements I am now wondering if that's such a good idea. Especially if they're gonna try and make me pay for shipping here in Canada.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Weird it's not about the triggers, that seems more common.
Neither issue seems to be particularly widespread (yet at least, and hopefully that continues!) but drift is something easier to spark up interest because Joy Con drift has been in the public view before so it makes more sense for a random law office to jump on that prematurely in case it goes somewhere.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
Good thing about this starting this early is that we'll be able to see how widespread it is sooner, and while I'm hoping it ends up being just faulty units in minimal numbers (because I don't want to go through the drift lottery again), we'll just have to wait and see. I'm gonna knock on wood too... just in case.
Exactly how will the public accurately know how widespread it is? Sony won't release numbers

Unless an independent research group is able to extrapolate a rough figure all we'll have to go off are personal accounts.

My DS registers random inputs and I'm not sure if it's considered drift

Sweep14

Oct 27, 2017
My local "gamestop" has a free exchange policy in place in case of defective controllers under warranty period (granted it's not physicaly broken, or obviously mistreated).

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Exactly how will the public accurately know how widespread it is? Sony won't release numbers

Unless an independent research group is able to extrapolate a rough figure all we'll have to go off are personal accounts.

That's not for me to figure out, but taking this issue into account sooner will certainly help, right?

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
People know you can send them back to Sony for repair/replacement under warranty, right? Not sure why a class action lawsuit is even warranted at this point since pretty much every PS5/DS out in the wild is probably still under warranty for at least the next 6 months. It's probably lawyers just trying to drag up business.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
People know you can send them back to Sony for repair/replacement under warranty, right? Not sure why a class action lawsuit is even warranted at this point since pretty much every PS5/DS out in the wild is probably still under warranty for at least the next 6 months. It's probably lawyers just trying to drag up business.
You aren't expected to send it back for repair/replacement under warranty within 6 months of normal use after purchasing the product. At least, it's not the norm when it comes to a $500 full bundle product.

Acevil

Oct 30, 2017
You aren't expected to send it back for repair/replacement under warranty within 6 months of normal use after purchasing the product. At least, it's not the norm when it comes to a $500 full bundle product.

Also lets not ignore that you will have to pay for shipping, which can easily cost 1/3 of the price of the controller. For something that might still break down in the future.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
We really won't know how widespread it is until the console is widely available, unfortunately. It might take a year or more to know if drift is going to be a persistent issue for this controller.

This sounds like the same issue the PS3 controllers have been giving me over the years. That's... not a good sign.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Seems more like a shitty law firm trying to cash in on some Internet noise at the moment but time will tell.