Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
It's not needed, no. But like I said - it wouldn't hurt to try. And by trying, I mean seriously try, not Drawn to Death tier game try lol.

Yup, lol. It's like an insult to some of them to even suggest a multiplayer game :P

I don't have a pushback to MP games. I play more MP games then I do SP. Let's not change the topic around.

The pushback is to the idea of Sony creating an exclusive MP title so that they can get folks from other platforms. That's a different story.

I already have plenty of MP games to play, that most likely, will be better than anything Sony puts out. So yea, I'm going to pushback on the idea that Sony focus on making an MP title when they've been making some kickass SP games.

Now, if a Sony first party dev wants to make an MP game, go for it. But that's also different than Sony focusing on an MP title. This is the same debate as the JRPG one that keeps propping up everyday.

Let the studios do what they want. If it's a JRPG or a MP game, great. If not, let's not have dumb focuses from the top dictating studio output.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
First party MP often had that "quid": Killzone, SOCOM, MAG, Warhawk ecc... were unique experiences in a way or another.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
Now, if a Sony first party dev wants to make an MP game, go for it. But that's also different than Sony focusing on an MP title. This is the same debate as the JRPG one that keeps propping up everyday.

Let the studios do what they want. If it's a JRPG or a MP game, great. If not, let's not have dumb focuses from the top dictating studio output.

I should have said I was thinking about hiring a 3rd party studio to do it, not a in-house dev.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
You seemed to be implying a hell of a lot more in that other thread, including saying Insomniac lied.

Should have clarified. I don't think they're liars. I think everyone in marketing and PR prefers to tell a good story. :)

Regardless, I think you're vastly over-estimating how much the link between Sony and Spider-Man matters. The fact that Spider-Man is by far and away Marvel's most popular character is more than enough reason to pick it over every other Marvel property.

Fair enough. We just happen to disagree about that particular point of how much Sony has a stakes interest in the character. All the rest of it is immaterial to me. The game is out and I've loved it regardless. Lol.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Sony is doing right and they should focus even more on single player games.

If they want to create a good mp, besides get they can try to recreate socom.

But I prefer all their studios focusing on single player games.

There is a lot of options for multiplayer nowadays.

Even Ms who is focused only on shooters, race and gaas models doesn't have a hit this generation.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played a few matches, but was it that bad? As bad as the Uncharted 3 stuff?
I'd say that they're exaggerating a tad. All weapons in the multiplayer component are viable and the Semi Auto Rifle remains the best gun in the game. There are times/situations where it's not but it overall is still the best firearm. My only complaint about the new weapons is the range of the Tactical Shotgun, there's no way I should be downed in 2 shots from that shit if I'm 30-50ft away and moving in the opposite direction of the attack. Molotovs are wonky. Sometimes they'll kill you outright, sometimes they won't, sometimes they'll barely damage someone. I wish that were more consistent. There should be countermeasures for short fused smoke grenades to like masks that can be constructed using found materials in the level.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Have you enjoyed how the DLCs feel like comic book entries or tv episodes of Spider-Man? I didn't expect episodic content and yet I kinda like it.

I've really liked it.
I know there was criticism early on when reports came out that The Heist was only 2-3h long. But I think that changed once you saw the ending and it was obvious that the three DLC's were really one story spread out across them. So it's like an episodic approach to DLC instead of just short standalone pieces. When it's all said and done the DLC should be about 10h combined.

As far as the mulitplayer discussion goes, i've been saying it for some time, but both SOCOM and Warhawk are perfect for F2P versions. Both would work well with cosmetics while keeping the base game without any nonsense Pay2Win schemes. I know Shu has expressed disappointment with their lack of success in the multiplayer arena, but they have one dormant franchise that was once huge and another that actually did rather well. There's really no reason not to try to give them another shot.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
While i don't agree with everything Vatti said, the hype for Bloodborne 2 is something else. I can't believe Sekiro is only 3 month away. Makes you wonder what game developers makes you hyped for their next game before even releasing their current one.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
While i don't agree with everything Vatti said, the hype for Bloodborne 2 is something else. I can't believe Sekiro is only 3 month away. Makes you wonder what game developers makes you hyped for their next game before even releasing their current one.
Keeping it Sony related:
Sucker Punch
Naughty Dog
Guerrilla
Insomniac
Sony Santa Monica

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I was way more interested in TLoU2 before UC4 shipped.

I'm sure Sekiro will be incredible, but I'm less excited about it than I thought I would be.

I have given my Newsom avatar the Sekiro arm though.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
The pushback Sony fans have to multiplayer is so over the top

Halo and Gears both just released some of their lowest selling entries in their franchises with no real signs of the turning around or catching on differently in the future.

Maybe folks just see the trend for exclusive multiplayer-based experiences as not truly being worth the investment?

Either way, let's talk about this concept of Sony and multiplayer exclusives. Here are some games that are multiplayer that are or were at one point exclusive to PS4 consoles:

MMO: Warframe, DC Universe, Final Fantasy XIV, etc.
MOBA: Smite, Paragon(RIP), Awesomenauts
Battle Royale: Fortnite
Shooters: Killzone Shadow Fall, Firewall VR, etc.
Vehicular Shooters: Starblood Arena VR, PixelJunk Shooter, etc.
Third person shooter: Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, etc.
Vehicular Sports: Rocket League, Gran Turismo Sport, Wipeout Collection, etc.
Sports: Rigs Mechanized Sports League (RIP?), MLB The Show
Arcade: Nex Machina, Towerfall, Resogun, etc
Fighting games: Street Fighter V, Secret Ponchos (RIP)

I don't know every game that ever released, but most of this is stuff I could recall or took five seconds to get the name of what I was thinking of on google with a description.

What are you both looking for from a multiplayer exclusive they have not done?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I've really liked it.
I know there was criticism early on when reports came out that The Heist was only 2-3h long. But I think that changed once you saw the ending and it was obvious that the three DLC's were really one story spread out across them. So it's like an episodic approach to DLC instead of just short standalone pieces. When it's all said and done the DLC should be about 10h combined.

Yep! That's about how I felt as well. When the first ended, I was like "oh thank god I bought all of them together."

I just finished the side missions in both and I'm honestly excited to see how it all wraps up! I think more games should try this approach. I liked it better than "this is one giant expansion at once" because I don't have time for all that. Lol.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Isn't From supposed to be working on 2 other titles besides Sekiro btw?

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Hi guys, I've been PC + Switch this entire generation and thinking of getting a PS4 for Christmas.

Question: As somebody that doesn't have a 4K TV but gives a massive fuck about frame rate, is the PS4 Pro worth it?

I don't think so? Most games increase resolution. They may be more stable, but if you care about games being at 60 fps, it's jot pushing that. It's more or less stabilizing frame rates at 30 or pushing them 40-45 when unlocked in a game.

Oct 25, 2017
Halo and Gears both just released some of their lowest selling entries in their franchises with no real signs of the turning around or catching on differently in the future.

Maybe folks just see the trend for exclusive multiplayer-based experiences as not truly being worth the investment?

Either way, let's talk about this concept of Sony and multiplayer exclusives. Here are some games that are multiplayer that are or were at one point exclusive to PS4 consoles:

MMO: Warframe, DC Universe, Final Fantasy XIV, etc.
MOBA: Smite, Paragon(RIP), Awesomenauts
Battle Royale: Fortnite
Shooters: Killzone Shadow Fall, Firewall VR, etc.
Vehicular Shooters: Starblood Arena VR, PixelJunk Shooter, etc.
Third person shooter: Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, etc.
Vehicular Sports: Rocket League, Gran Turismo Sport, Wipeout Collection, etc.
Sports: Rigs Mechanized Sports League (RIP?), MLB The Show
Arcade: Nex Machina, Towerfall, Resogun, etc
Fighting games: Street Fighter V, Secret Ponchos (RIP)

I don't know every game that ever released, but most of this is stuff I could recall or took five seconds to get the name of what I was thinking of on google with a description.

What are you both looking for from a multiplayer exclusive they have not done?
I'm not looking for some brand new concept on multiplayer I'd like to see a Sony team make a game where multiplayer isn't the second thought. I don't know why that's some controversial thing in here. Since ppl wanna keep bringing up third parties and how they cover multiplayer by that boring simple logic Sony don't need another story focused cinematic game since they have plenty studios(almost all) covering that basis

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Of all the things Sony could make more off - survival horror, platformers, immersive Sims etc..

Instead Ppl asking for multiplayer games...

Not like this. gif

Last edited:

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Isn't From supposed to be working on 2 other titles besides Sekiro btw?
There are several people in this forum who gave hints that BB2 is not currently in development. So idk, maybe one of the other 2 titles is Bloodborne related but i just don't think it has anything to do with the "Phantom Wail" leak that Vatti mentioned.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Hand to hand is whack. I'm not even happy Ashen doesn't allow swords. Swords are dope.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of all the things Sony could make more off - survival horror, platformers, immersive Sims etc.. Ppl asking for multiplayer games...

Not like this. gif
Nobody likes or wants horror.

There are several people in this forum who gave hints that BB2 is not currently in development. So idk, maybe one of the other 2 titles is Bloodborne related but i just don't think it has anything to do with the "Phantom Wail" leak that Vatti mentioned.
Yes, I wasn't talking about BB2, just wondering on why we haven't seen the other games and if any of them possibly could be with Sony.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys, I've been PC + Switch this entire generation and thinking of getting a PS4 for Christmas.

Question: As somebody that doesn't have a 4K TV but gives a massive fuck about frame rate, is the PS4 Pro worth it?

I have a pro on a 1080p game. In some games it's pretty noticable imo. God of War, Shadow of the Colossus frame rate is smooth in performance mode especially when looking in the distance when panning the camera. I can't play the games in resolution mode aftward it just looks stuttery when panning the camera now. But in Monster Hunter world I don't remember such as much of a difference at all. It's really a game by game basis on how much I notice it.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of all the things Sony could make more off - survival horror, platformers, immersive Sims etc.. Ppl asking for multiplayer games...

Not like this. gif
We got fuckton of mp games already and sp game releases, at least on AAA, is on a decline. I hope Sony double down on their sp effort.

I can only dedicate so much time to mp and I think I got all my needs now with Destiny and Overwatch. More SP though especially rpg would be great

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I'm not looking for some brand new concept on multiplayer I'd like to see a Sony team make a game where multiplayer isn't the second thought. I don't know why that's some controversial thing in here. Since ppl wanna keep bringing up third parties and how they cover multiplayer by that boring simple logic Sony don't need another story focused cinematic game since they have plenty studios(almost all) covering that basis

I was mostly pointing out that they have had a lot of exclusive multiplayer experiences and many of them are in a space we don't even tally about on VR.

I'm assuming you mean you want a multiplayer shooter, but I was actually asking what kind of multiplayer game you're talking about? There are tons of genres they could do multiplayer with.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
"New multiplayer concept" in todays market is just a new wrinkle in shooters.

Open world shooter, rpg shooter, shooters with 100 players and no respawns.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think TLOU2 MP will be a second though but still if anything GG will have you cover for MP .
Not talking about HZD 2 but i hope that has co op.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
They didn't need to do that this generation, so I don't think it's needed. The big multiplayer games are available on all platforms, including Playstation.

Triple A single player games however? Those are largely a Playstation thing at this point. Sony covers both groups of people with this approach, and especially those that want a bit of both.

They don't need to do anything, but it would unquestionably be a wise decision to do so.

That's the point - the big MP games are on all platforms. Therefore Sony could greatly do with additional MP games to distinguish themselves from the other platforms in order to provide additional incentives for multiplayer gamers to go with Playstation and snatch them away from the competition. No ones saying they should stop all their AAA SP efforts for multiplayer.

I really don't get this argument of "there are already loads of MP games why do you want more lol". There may or may not be loads, but there are never enough. There might be loads, but with the backing of a platform holder, 1st party should be trying to 1-up them with their own unique game.

There are loads of 3rd party MP games on Xbox, does that mean Halo and Gears have no system-selling power? Of course not.

Plus, making a multiplayer exclusive that can go to toe to toe with the big names isn't an easy ask. You're not just asking a developer to make a good game, your asking them to make a game good enough to pull away players from the likes of Siege, Overwatch, CoD, BF etc. That's pretty much impossible tier.

Let's be honest this is the real reason. Sony tried and tried making MP games last gen but they got their ass whooped. Does this mean you should just give up on maximising this largest market?

It isn't an easy task, but neither is making a AAA SP game that goes toe to toe with the big games, yet they do so. MS manages to go toe to toe with the big names too (albeit arguably with less success this gen), so it's not impossible.

Also it isn't about just making a good game that's better than Siege/CoD or whatever, it's also about distinguishing it from the crowd - a unique game that isn't serviced so well by these 3rd parties. As a platform holder, Sony even has more room to experiment with this.

Using that logic the Xbox One and its multiplayer focused exclusives would be the one dominating the console market, not the PS4 and its single player exclusives.

Come on, that's just an unreasonable argument you're making. Obviously there are many other reasons PS4 is dominating the market, but you can't deny that successful MP exclusives would be bringing in even more sales, just like Titanfall and Halo helped MS at the start of this gen in retaining some of that crucial MP market they thought they had locked down.

The pushback Sony fans have to multiplayer is so over the top

We know how this discussion goes, I can almost see the fear in their eyes as they imagine SP getting swallowed up whole.

I'll never get that. The game probably pocketed Sony what? Upwards of $300m all told? And you're going to penny pinch your player base? It just seems insane.

I think this just proves that Sony would love to have a monetisable MP just as much as any other company, if only they were capable of doing so.

Oct 25, 2017
"almost all"

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch
Bend

-

Polyphony
San Diego
Media Molecule
Pixel Opus
Japan Studio
Manchester
London

Yeah, seems about right.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
On the multiplayer thing to give my actual opinion, I think Sony can do better with their multiplayer output from their studios in the first person shooter and the racing space.

I would like a fun arcade racer. Bring back the fun racing days with games like San Francisco Rush with the shortcuts and the jumps and things like that. That's what I think is missing from everyone.

I think they could make a niche MOBA title that's PS4 exclusive and draws an audience with the right studio. With how Paragon turned out I'm not sure how many would try it, but I liked the character vs Isometric perspective change they made for their heroes. So I could try something like that instead of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, you could make a PS All Stars MOBA. I'm just throwing things out here.

I wouldn't think of jumping into the world of Battle Royale, but Socom seems like it could be more popular now given the popularity of Rainbow Six Siege as a strategic hero shooter. They just can't expect it to take off right away and would need to build that community as Siege did. Plus, a lot of folks here never stop talking about it so I just imagine they'd call it that just for the brand association. (Firewall Zero Hour is basically Siege in VR I hear.)

Hm, what else? I don't know. I do think there are opportunities in the multiplayer space that aren't money sucks like Destiny or Overwatch to try to get right. They just have to put it out there and support it. Anything else you all could see yourself interested in that's not huge on the console today?

Oct 25, 2017
"almost all"

Naughty Dog
Santa Monica
Sucker Punch
Bend

-

Polyphony
San Diego
Media Molecule
Pixel Opus
Japan Studio
Manchester
London

Yeah, seems about right.
London making a cinematic vr game :risi:
So 5v6 the rest don't even get marketed stop it drift but fine

More than half their top tier studios are making cinematic story driven games better?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about multiplayer at all but I'd still like to see what a Sony studio could do in that space with AAA effort ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally I think Guerrilla's next game after Horizon 2 will have a major competitive multiplayer component (while H2 has co-op of some kind).

z285714

Sep 9, 2018
Though it is a rumor, MS will acquire at least three more studios. The number of studios of MS will become at least 15,and it may be 20 in the future.
IMO, it's such a good chance to acquire some potential studios using the great profits earn in the PS4 era instead of doing nothing and1 just waiting for Ms catches up. I know there is some expandings, but it's not enough to compete with 20 studios only by just expanding several studios.Besides Sony almost does nothing to improve SIEJ in this era, as the calling of first part jrpg from neogaf to resetera lol.
Well,it may be a hard time for ps5.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Though it is a rumor, MS will acquire at least three more studios. The number of studios of MS will become at least 15,and it may be 20 in the future.
IMO, it's such a good chance to acquire some potential studios using the great profits earn in the PS4 era instead of doing nothing and1 just waiting for Ms catches up. I know there is some expandings, but it's not enough to compete with 20 studios only by just expanding several studios.Besides Sony almost does nothing to improve SIEJ in this era, as the calling of first part jrpg from neogaf to resetera lol.
You sound concerned.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I just had an idea.. what if Dreams with all the character and level creation... but MOBA?!

Build your own character and play style, then throw them in the lane! (I'm mostly kidding, but I'd rather talk about possibilities than argue about whether it's a good idea or not lol)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's not a numbers game and never was, it's about talent, giving your studios freedom and managing them well which Sony understands.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the difference between hiring 200 devs to make a new studio and hiring 200 devs to expand another studio?

What developer did MS acquire thats going to make any type of significant impact on console sales?

Even Square Enix cant find enough HD devs in japan to make their games, so how is Sony suppose to expand in japan when theres nobody there to hire?

Status
Not open for further replies.