• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I recall that after Sony announced they would be focusing on 4 games for E3 2018 (Spider-Man, TLOU: Part II, Ghost of Tsuhima, Death Stranding), Shinobi posted that next-gen PS5 games were in development but not ready to be shown yet. So even if they're quiet about it, 1st Party studios are already at work. No need to worry there.
Western studios are already accounted for PS4. Manchester Studio does seems to move to PS5 as we are not getting more trade shows than TGS this year. When they opened North West Studio in 2015 they said it will focus on games for Project Morpheus. Blood & Truth from London Studio was announced last year and will come out soon.

North West changed to Manchester Studio and nothing has been heard since then. Have they changed their mind? Will they make a PS5 game instead of PSVR? I have that feeling after Shu said there are more unannounced PS4 games in development and TGS will be the next trade show and nothing announced for PGW. SIEJA is changing their format from press conference to a live video show similar to E3 to give viewers a experience in these worlds and storytelling.

Andrew Goldfarb from IGN is now in Tokyo after Gamescom. They were the ones who did the full interview with Shu and Allan Becker at Japan Studio last year where Becker teased new titles in development that are being made with new technology in mind.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
The current & only studio I want Sony to buy/develop is for console JRPGs...

Build from the ground up, hire experienced developers, put the 1st party budget on them, make PlayStation own JRPGs or something like that, look at Monolith Soft, etc.
Yeah it would be really cool to see an RPG from Sony's WWS. I mean a more traditional one than Horizon which is more of an action game.

Oct 25, 2017
... why the coffee bean bag?
Maybe this cafe really relevant stil?
giphy.gif

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Did you go digital deluxe or standard?

I went digital deluxe!

Personally, I went standard. I was contemplating between the two, but standard was obviously cheaper. I'll probably buy the DLC immediately anyway, and it'll be more expensive. I don't mind paying more if the quality of the base game is exceptional.

I'm still of the opinion that digital games are too expensive, sitting at £54.99 for a standard edition where in America it's still $60... (correct if I'm wrong). Nothing beats that instant download and not having to wait on delivery though.

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, with MS buying a lot of studios these days and looking to acquire some more, will Sony make a move on Quantic Dream to secure exclusive first party content? It's one of the most logic studio's for them to make an offer for.

MS can buy all the studios they want. It takes years upon years for a studio to become the studios that Sony has. We dont know what games those studios are making nor if they will even be good at all. Im glad sony has had their studios making games for a very long time. Those studios MS bought wont be on Sony first party level for at least another 7-10 years.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this cafe really relevant stil?
giphy.gif
Ooh, just had a thought. A coffee shop is named ("Coffee Bean," if I recall correctly) and visited during the events of Hostile Takeover. Would be cool if it's this one.

That aside, I don't think we've seen much, if any, footage of Spidey doing acrobatic parkour like this in most of the trailers after that first gameplay video with the skyscraper. Hope we can still do shit as cool as this.
Personally, I went standard. I was contemplating between the two, but standard was obviously cheaper. I'll probably buy the DLC immediately anyway, and it'll be more expensive. I don't mind paying more if the quality of the base game is exceptional.

I'm still of the opinion that digital games are too expensive, sitting at £54.99 for a standard edition where in America it's still $60... (correct if I'm wrong). Nothing beats that instant download and not having to wait on delivery though.
Wait, so you're purposely gonna pay more? Huh. Bit of a strange choice, but hey, it's one way to support the devs even more.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017

Understandable on the pricing and yes, it is $59.99 in the US. I have gotten spoiled with digital this gen. Used to be mostly physical, now im about 90% digital. I only buy physical on games, im curious about, but not sure if I will keep them.

I agree that nothing beats the preloaded download and have it ready to start right when the game unlocks.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Wait, so you're purposely gonna pay more? Huh. Bit of a strange choice, but hey, it's one way to support the devs even more.

In truth, I'm actually paying less. I'm splitting the cost with my brother, so I'm not fussed if I end up paying the price I would've paid if I bought it alone. Gamesharing has been very useful to have! You know what I mean?

Understandable on the pricing and yes, it is $59.99 in the US. I have gotten spoiled with digital this gen. Used to be mostly physical, now im about 90% digital. I only buy physical on games, im curious about, but not sure if I will keep them.

I agree that nothing beats the preloaded download and have it ready to start right when the game unlocks.

I find myself that I'm buying digital a whole lot more too, even if I prefer physical myself. I just never understand how the pricing can be that close between the two countries when I'm obviously paying more than I would physically. The benefits are there, of course. It's just real strange. :P

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Those studios MS bought wont be on Sony first party level for at least another 7-10 years.
Ninja Theory will scale up faster. There's a lot of experience in that studio already, they're something like 20 years old, and have a proven pedigree. Kung Fu Chaos, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade. There's a real progression of production values and gameplay. I could see them shipping high quality product in the next couple of years. If you're looking for a ND equivalent, that's them.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't ask in the thread because like most threads on this website it's no help whatsoever and has gone to shit

jstevenson will we know what the other dlc episodes are about before they release

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think they have enough people for making 2 games at once.
Well Cory said he's interested in making a new IP next. So maybe SSM will get a second team. Their new studio is huge. So who knows.
I could see them shipping high quality product in the next couple of years. If you're looking for a ND equivalent, that's them.
lol In Phil Spencer's dreams maybe. More like an equivalent of Rare or The Coalition. Naughty Dog is one of the Top 3 dev studios in the world.

Let go guys! Try it out :D

Last edited:

Jokegeta

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ninja Theory will scale up faster. There's a lot of experience in that studio already, they're something like 20 years old, and have a proven pedigree. Kung Fu Chaos, Heavenly Sword, Enslaved, DmC, Hellblade. There's a real progression of production values and gameplay. I could see them shipping high quality product in the next couple of years. If you're looking for a ND equivalent, that's them.

Lol, Ninja Theory is no where near nor will they ever get close to Naughty Dog status.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Lol they're not even the best MS studio yet, let alone on NDs level. Imo MS doesn't have an equivalent to ND right now. They're best studio is the team that makes Forza Horizon imo, can't remeber the studios name.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Even Hellblade was almost a 10/10 game for me and the studio is very talented. They cannot reach ND's or SSM's level that fast - or never. They will do now real AAA-titles which require year of pre production and years of production. This won't be easy for such a small studio to do tasks like that.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True, but building a new team will take time, so i don´t think they are ready yet to have 2 teams right now.
Well you start a new project/IP with a 20 - 30 man team. SSM finished GOW a few months ago and are already hiring like crazy. It's possible :) Naughty Dog is already huge, Guerrilla Games is expanding to a huge "450 devs" studio and it was always Sony's plan to make SSM one of their biggest studios in NA. So we will see.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I dont think they have enough people for making 2 games at once.

SSM doesn't need two full fledged teams to work on two projects simultaneously. Cory made it pretty clear that he wants to work on a new IP. Shannon Studstill was also present at the interview and she did not seem surprised by these comments. So it seems that this has already been discussed internally.

Given that Cory left Crystal Dynamics because they rejected his idea with the one-shot camera, I can't imagine Sony taking the risk and denying him his wish to work on a new IP. Especially as i think it's time for SSM to establish a new franchise alongside God of War.

Obviously the majority of the studio will work on the next God of War, but a smaller team around Cory will certainly start working on a new IP. And Cory seems to be a big Sci Fi fan. Therefore, I assume that his new IP will also go in this direction. Maybe they can reuse alien races and draw inspiration from the canceled project?
But I'm sure Cory will still be involved in the development of God of War to some extent.

P:S. This is my first post. Sorry for my bad english.

Indominus

Jan 11, 2018
So, with MS buying a lot of studios these days and looking to acquire some more, will Sony make a move on Quantic Dream to secure exclusive first party content? It's one of the most logic studio's for them to make an offer for.
They should make an offer for Remedy. I always thought Remedy would fit better with Sony.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
This is not the thread to discuss MS first-party studios, just so the discussion doesn't spiral out of control. There's another thread for that.

Sangetsu-II

Oct 26, 2017
I know Sony has the upper hand right now, but with MS buying/building FIVE studio's at the same time and openly talking about expanding even more, it's al level of aggresive investing we haven't seen before in the industry. Xbox really has the full financial backing of MS now. I feel like if Sony doesn't expand enough they'll be overtaken at some point in the future.

Doesn't matter if MS overtakes Sony studios if those studios have no talent.

Remember all the MS studios that were present in 2013? Exactly I don't and where are they now? Closed down.

Edit: Saw mod post whoops.

Last edited:

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Well you start a new project/IP with a 20 - 30 man team. SSM finished GOW a few months ago and are already hiring like crazy. It's possible :) Naughty Dog is already huge, Guerrilla Games is expanding to a huge "450 devs" studio and it was always Sony's plan to make SSM one of their biggest studios in NA. So we will see.
Do we know roughly how large SSM is. Cory has swiftly become one of my favorite directors I'm very excited to see a new IP from him and the studio especially.

But yeah I don't really think they really need two full teams to work two projects , new IPs take a lot of time now a days .

Edit: well actually if they plan on doing a trilogy for god of war , unless the studio takes a break from god of war to do a new IP after the second game (which I would not really be a fan of) they would kind of need to grow to two teams right?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we know roughly how large SSM is. Cory has swiftly become one of my favorite directors I'm very excited to see a new IP from him and the studio especially.

But yeah I don't really think they really need two full teams to work two projects , new IPs take a lot of time now a days .

Edit: well actually if they plan on doing a trilogy for god of war , unless the studio takes a break from god of war to do a new IP after the second game (which I would not really be a fan of) they would kind of need to grow to two teams right?
They don't need two full teams. See Naughty Dog and Guerrilla Games. One main team and one smaller team.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do you think we'll see Cory's new IP before the new god of war trilogy is done?
I don't think so.
edit.
"Before the trilogy is done"? I thought you wrote "before the next GOW game is done". Before the trilogy is done? Yes, for sure.
Why count on Sony making JRPGs when they won't advertise it anyways?
Doesn't matter. They need something for the japanese market and for the diversity of their 1st party lineup. It's all good if it sells like The Last Guardian did. If they can make games like Gravity Rush, Knack, Concrete Genie, PlayLink games and dozens of VR games, they can make a JRPG, too.

Last edited:

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So do you think we'll see Cory's new IP before the new god of war trilogy is done?

I think so. God of War 2 will be their next game. Cory's new IP will probably go into full production shortly afterwards and will be released next. God of War 3 will be released afterwards. Well, at least that's my guess.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's time for another Kinetica. You hear me corybarlog ? :D The perfect side-project to test the new PS5 hardware with a mid-sized team. We finally get another futuristic 1st party racing game and you can learn more about the PS5 hardware :P

Much

Feb 24, 2018
It's weird that we don't have a member from Naughty Dog on Era.

We can assume Druckmann browses here. The question is whether he has an account or not. It'd be nice to see him here, though I wouldn't blame devs for not wanting to discuss their games here, given the inability for some to not shoot their hot takes and listen to a developer.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I think so. God of War 2 will be their next game. Cory's new IP will probably go into full production shortly afterwards and will be released next. God of War 3 will be released afterwards. Well, at least that's my guess.
Yeah. We will see Cory's new IP at the end of next gen, and then GoW Part III on PS6.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I don't think Cory would stay at SSM if they were going to be a God of War factory for the next console generation, so I think so yes.

I don't think so.
edit.
"Before the trilogy is done"? I thought you wrote "before the next GOW game is done". Before the trilogy is done? Yes, for sure.

Probably not. They just have to improve on the assets for the next God of War. I expect the new IP from Cory within the next 3-5 years depending on how far that project is.
It's going to suck having to wait for the conclusion of the trilogy but I'll live cause whatever else they would work on will probably be rad as hell

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
This is not the thread to discuss MS first-party studios, just so the discussion doesn't spiral out of control. There's another thread for that.

Well, it's very relevant considering they're direct competitors to Sony.

I think MS has realised that in the short term they can't compete in the "big blockbuster" category with Sony, so they're focusing on AA studio acquisitions for now. This will probably lead to more experimental games and more variety, and maybe even more frequent releases from each of these studios compared to Sony's.

While I personally prefer the big blockbuster games that Sony have adopted, I don't think it's wise to underestimate or discount/neglect that AA strategy too early.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
We can assume Druckmann browses here. The question is whether he has an account or not. It'd be nice to see him here, though I wouldn't blame devs for not wanting to discuss their games here, given the inability for some to not shoot their hot takes and listen to a developer.
Neil was a fan of reading comments on GAF. I'm pretty sure that he still watches us, especially before/after releasing a trailer. But being here with a personal account and talking with us about his game? Nah. He isn't Cory.

Man, I still remember the night that Cory came here. That's was so cool.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...am-the-god-of-war.30538/page-216#post-6623218

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Neil was a fan of reading comments on GAF. I'm pretty sure that he still watches us, especially before/after releasing a trailer. But being here with a personal account and talking with us about his game? Nah. He isn't Cory.

Man, I still remember the night that Cory came here. That's was so cool.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/go...am-the-god-of-war.30538/page-216#post-6623218

I remember that night as well. Man, time has flown. That thread got exponentially large lol. I don't think Spider-Man is gonna get that big... or maybe it will. Who knows anymore? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.