Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The Door is Closed

Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that "for the moment the door is closed," according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra.

Speaking at Variety's Entertainment & Technology summit, Vinciquerra cryptically added that "it's a long life," implying that perhaps in the distant future the web-slinging hero might swing his way back to the Disney-owned company.

Vinciquerra insisted that there is "no ill will" between Sony and Marvel, after the two failed to reach on agreement on financing terms for upcoming Spider-Man movies, effectively removing Tom Holland's Spider-Man from the Marvel fold in terms of both future standalone and team-up features. However, he also did acknowledge the fan backlash to the news, saying that it has been "an interesting couple of weeks" for the studio.

Vinciquerra pointed to Marvel boss Kevin Feige being "stretched incredibly thin" with new additions coming to the MCU as one of the reasons behind the breakdown in talks.

"We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies," the Sony chief said. "We tried to see if there's a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin didn't do all the work."

"Spiderman was fine before the event movies, did better with the event movies, and now that we have our own universe, he will play off the other characters as well," Vinciquerra said. "I think we're pretty capable of doing what we have to do here."

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
maybe its for better , most people hated Iron man being so prominent in spider-man story while Spidey himself took secondplace in his movies.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
This is so obviously going to lead to be back in the MCU in a year's time, making this all the more tiring.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Well he did "for the moment".

I'm sad, but in the other hand, we've got freaking Kamala "Kawaii Kaiju" Khan coming to the MCU, so I ain't fretting.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
"Spiderman was fine before the event movies, did better with the event movies, and now that we have our own universe, he will play off the other characters as well," Vinciquerra said. "I think we're pretty capable of doing what we have to do here."
tUUWcdi.gif

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Welp, looks like Venom is gonna get smashed into Spidey. Not excited for that.

Sucks they couldn't come to an agreement, but I'm not really confident future films will be as good or better.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I blame all of this on Venom's success. If the next Spiderman movie is Venom quality, I fear it'll still do well enough for the Sony Pictures people to feel vindicated.

Aine

May 27, 2019
This will only result in bad publicity harming any potential future Spider project Sony may have, regardless of quality. I just hope it doesn't lead to Spider-Verse 2 tanking.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
may this cursed door never open til the moment every half century year old comic character is public domain due to reform in the relevant laws.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean who isn't excited for Morbius to FINALLY clash with Spidey. We've been waiting for decades.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Just get the people behind Spiderverse to be in charge of the whole of the Spider-Man franchise, and I believe all should be good. The studio just released one of the single best comic film ever made, and an Oscar winner to boot in a category that was actually worth something (sorry Suicide Squad).

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
What "terrific" people of their own is he even refering to? The schmucks who made Venom? Because, um....

maybe its for better , most people hated Iron man being so prominent in spider-man story while Spidey himself took secondplace in his movies.
"most people"

lmao wow. I think you mean an extreme minority that just likes to cry about MCU Spidey not being Raimi Spidey

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
This will only result in bad publicity harming any potential future Spider project Sony may have, regardless of quality. I just hope it doesn't lead to Spider-Verse 2 tanking.

tbh if people don't go see Spider-Verse 2 because of this then they don't deserve Spider-Man movies anyway

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
We'll see how it goes. I wouldn't be averse to a live action Spiderverse, but I'm not a fan of them pushing for another Venom or Sinister Six movie.

It'll be funny, if Holland Spiderman ever returns to Disney, to see how they'll just sweep things under the rug. "I was just helping out with local matters".

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
Was Disney/Marvel involved with Spider-Verse or was that only Sony Pictures? Spider-Verse has been the only Spiderman film I've enjoyed since Spiderman 2.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
So is Sony Tom Holland going to just magically forget all the shit that happened in the MCU?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Sony about to tank real hard. If I was Disney, I'd just go in with a hard buy-back on the franchise. Throw a stupid number out there just to get their main boy back. Sony holding off on giving back Marvel their mascot is just fucked up tbh.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Of course he's going to act all tough. He has to since the negotiation is basically both trying to arm wrestle each other. Nobody wants to look like the weak side in need for the other one, so both gonna act like it's done and they don't care.

OP
OP
Scullibundo

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
What "terrific" people of their own is he even refering to? The schmucks who made Venom? Because, um....

"most people"

lmao wow. I think you mean an extreme minority that just likes to cry about MCU Spidey not being Raimi Spidey
Why would you bring up Sam Raimi when the user never mentioned him at all?

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Avi Arad getting his scissors ready to bungle the next few Spidey films already.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
LOL damn at that Tom Rothman history reel.

I knew he was bad but I had no idea how many trainwrecks he caused.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for that Morbius crossover.

People can stop propping up Spider-Verse as evidence that Sony 'gets it.' Rothman went out of his way to try and sabotage that movie, it's good in spite of him.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I already know what it means...

HOLLAND MOVIE DOENS'T MAKE SENSE WITHOUT TONY STARK SO RAIMI'S SPIDER-MAN 4 TIME!!!