LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Thought this might be interesting. Post on rllmukforum from a dev who clearly knows what he's talking about regarding this
Yup, that's long been my impression as someone who has backed up saves since way back on the PSP. Sony may have unified the three different divisions a couple years ago but there's still a ton of legacy bullshit on the backend. I'm optimistic they'll sort this stuff out eventually but it's going to take a while.

Trophies are kinda similar too, though duplicate trophy lists has mostly been reined in from a few years back when every region and platform had its own trophy list (fun fact: Sound Shapes had 6 trophy lists: PS3, Vita and then four PS4 lists for the US, JPN, PAL and HK, though cross-saves worked perfectly for it and would auto-pop all the trophies you'd earned in other versions).

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have searched for this for ages, and it's a random dev post on resetera. Incredible.

That only marginally makes the situation less horrible.

Plus, I could have sworn Sony literally said you couldn't buy it separately?? Am I crazy here?

you can't buy it separately, but you can buy it 'separately' -basically there is a prerequisite that you have PS5 MM in your library because the purchase flow looks to be from within that game so won't be in the store?

just realised my Spider-Man is a disc version and I'm preordered the digital. my daughter replays it constantly so I'll probably buy the ultimate

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
you can't buy it separately, but you can buy it 'separately' -basically there is a prerequisite that you have PS5 MM in your library because the purchase flow looks to be from within that game so won't be in the store?

just realised my Spider-Man is a disc version and I'm preordered the digital. my daughter replays it constantly so I'll probably buy the ultimate

Man I'm not sure whether to just buy the ultimate edition on PS5, or to just get the PS4 version and then upgrade since you can do that apparently. Idk just feel like it'd be nice to own the PS4 version ffr. Like if I want to have a secondary PS4 in a different room. And just own it digitally. Since it's thankfully cross save.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
It sure seems a lot of people WANT to be confused.

That the situation isn't to your liking doesn't mean it is confusing.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Cross save is a developer problem.

If you would follow the thread you'd see it's way more complicated than that.

The platform holder has a huge impact on whether cross save happens, by how seamless they make it to the dev. Yakuza is a literal perfect example.

It sure seems a lot of people WANT to be confused.

That the situation isn't to your liking doesn't mean it is confusing.

Something doesn't have to be confusing to need clarifying. It can just be something that has not been clearly delineated, and people would like it to be for the sake of clarity. Some information is more shakey, and people would like it more solid. It doesn't mean they are "faking confusion." This is really silly.

Although yeah typically when a company is really vague with something it's because they know it's not positive, especially when compared to the competition.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
It would be an epic undertaking but they really need to rebuild their entire backend, it's just not fit for purpose in 2020. They keep adding things on to it and updating bits here and there but these just paper over the cracks.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might be in a situation where I get the PS5 on the 20th instead of the 19th (living in a rural area in Norway). There's no way I'm waiting a day to play Cyberpunk, so I will play it on the PS4 Pro on the 19th then download it again on the PS5 the day after. This better work.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It would be an epic undertaking but they really need to rebuild their entire backend, it's just not fit for purpose in 2020. They keep adding things on to it and updating bits here and there but these just paper over the cracks.

Man I really hoped for an overhaul.

I'm really worried this means more "Copying..." and things like that.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you would follow the thread you'd see it's way more complicated than that.

The platform holder has a huge impact on whether cross save happens, by how seamless they make it to the dev. Yakuza is a literal perfect example.

Something doesn't have to be confusing to need clarifying. It can just be something that has not been clearly delineated, and people would like it to be for the sake of clarity. Some information is more shakey, and people would like it more solid. It doesn't mean they are "faking confusion." This is really silly.

Although yeah typically when a company is really vague with something it's because they know it's not positive, especially when compared to the competition.
Developers still have the ability to implement it.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017

Thing is, even if Sony full out says "It's up to the discretion of the developer", does that make it more clear? I'd argue it really doesn't. And we already now save progression is on a title by title basis.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Developers still have the ability to implement it.

Except, it's not always that simple. It can still be prohibitively difficult. Sony is absolutely deserving of criticism if their SDK makes things unreasonably difficult, and there is some evidence it really is here.

If Sony wants to provide a good, consistent experience, they need to invest in ensuring features like this are commonly supported. Microsoft by contrast are doing a great job of it. It's really pathetic that Sony can't get their act together. There is zero reason to defend them here. Seeing how complicated it can be, I do not blame them.

Thing is, even if Sony full out says "It's up to the discretion of the developer", does that make it more clear? I'd argue it really doesn't. And we already now save progression is on a title by title basis.

They need to clarify how they are supporting that. If that means they aren't, then that's a bad look. But refusing to say it doesn't make it look any better.

At very least they could say, hey we see the feedback about making cross save more easily implemented. Or something. Just avoiding the topic does not help.

Yes, I am saying they should respond because a response would mean they'd have to say something not shitty.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 saves should work on PS4 games.

As for PS4 saves on PS5 games, that would likely be on a game-by-game basis. Marvel's Avengers for example will let you transfer / convert your save data from PS4 to PS5. Think of it like PS4/3/Vita's cross-save, where not every game had it and it was up to developers to implement.

This is the fairly obvious answer.

PS4 saves should literally be the exact same data, so there's no real reason they wouldn't be movable over. Even if Sony for some silly reason didn't support PS4 cloud save transfer on PS4, I'm certain the new system will allow you to move saves via USB.

But PS4, to PS5 games, that's different save data which means we need some sort of software based process going on to interpret the save so that it can be used in the PS5 versions of the games. That's going to be on a developer to developer basis. Sony can't universally do this, but it shouldn't be that difficult for developers to do either, so it's weird to see it not happening for games like Yakuza 7.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
People seem to be quick to blame publishers but when those same publishers are making it work with Xbox but not with Sony, makes me pause and think about where to point fingers.

Bungie has already confirmed everything you purchased this gen including expansions, silver, seasons come with you. It is a GaaS, so expect similar from other GaaS games too.

I have all the expansion on xbox and i'm now playing a ps4, but it seems not all expansions work. What will it happen if I unlock something in xbox from the last expasion i do not own on ps4 and then play with my friends in ps4? will it work? :S, the same question regarding to pc and future consoles :S

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I have all the expansion on xbox and i'm now playing a ps4, but it seems not all expansions work. What will it happen if I unlock something in xbox from the last expasion i do not own on ps4 and then play with my friends in ps4? will it work? :S, the same question regarding to pc and future consoles :S

This is easily found information if you look up cross save. This has been known for over a year, and already works.

You keep all gear across platforms, but activities that are not accessible to everyone must be purchased on a given platform you are currently playing on. So you can earn Divinity from Garden of Salvation because you own Shadowkeep on Xbox One, but then go play a nightfall on PS4 and use your divinity. But if you want to play Garden of Salvation on PS4, you'll need to own it on PS4 too.

Not sure how you missed this when you looked into getting cross save. Nor am I sure why you would think next gen consoles affect this. Bungie has already said purchases carry over from PS4 > PS5 and Xbox One > Xbox Series.

"Copying..." is file defragmentation, a process required for good performance on a 5400rpm laptop hard disk. It is not a thing on PS5, since it uses an SSD.

Wait really? I've never heard that before. Awesome is true. How'd you find that out?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Expansions are not cross-buy. Your save will work cross platform and your season + silver will also work cross platform but you will not get credit for expansion purchases. If you want to say do the GoS raid from Shadowkeep on PS4 but you only own Shadowkeep on Xbox, you can't - you have to buy it on PS4 to do so. You can USE any gear you may have earned from the that expansion on the PS4 even if you don't own it on that platform but you can't do the content.

With the expansions coming for to Game Pass, Day 1, i would be purcahsing Beyond Light on my PS4/5 and have GP Ultimate as BL will be there on Day 1 for Xbox and is coming soon for PC game pass.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If it's relatixely straightforward to link to a previous version then there is still time hopefully for Sega to add that in to the Ps5 version if it's not out until March

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Expansions are not cross-buy. Your save will work cross platform and your season + silver will also work cross platform but you will not get credit for expansion purchases. If you want to say do the GoS raid from Shadowkeep on PS4 but you only own Shadowkeep on Xbox, you can't - you have to buy it on PS4 to do so. You can USE any gear you may have earned from the that expansion on the PS4 even if you don't own it on that platform but you can't do the content.

With the expansions coming for to Game Pass, Day 1, i would be purcahsing Beyond Light on my PS4/5 and have GP Ultimate as BL will be there on Day 1 for Xbox and is coming soon for PC game pass.

One correction. Silver stays on the platform you bought it on. Sucks but apparently there isn't anything they can do about it.

I know because well, one Bungie said so, but also because my friend has 300 silver sitting on his PS4 he can't use.

Pretty sure it was from Cerny in the road to PS5 presentation, if not it was around that time.

Er, I don't think he covered the topic of "copying"? I guess I could rewatch it, but it's kind of long.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

PS4 saves should literally be the exact same data, so there's no real reason they wouldn't be movable over. Even if Sony for some silly reason didn't support PS4 cloud save transfer on PS4, I'm certain the new system will allow you to move saves via USB.

But PS4, to PS5 games, that's different save data which means we need some sort of software based process going on to interpret the save so that it can be used in the PS5 versions of the games. That's going to be on a developer to developer basis. Sony can't universally do this, but it shouldn't be that difficult for developers to do either, so it's weird to see it not happening for games like Yakuza 7.
I mean is it though? It is essentially the same game with a next gen patch applied. The content between the two games will be the same. I doubt these publishers are making the effort to make sure this is happening on Xbox but just go "nah fuck that" for the PS5. It seems to me that there is something going on and i think it is likely that Sony is making this process harder for publishers than what MS is doing.

One correction. Silver stays on the platform you bought it on. Sucks but apparently there isn't anything they can do about it.

I know because well, one Bungie said so, but also because my friend has 300 silver sitting on his PS4 he can't use.

Thanks - i would have thought that silver was tied to the bungie save not the platform but happy to know because i am likely going to Xbox with my PC save for the free BL until they release it on PC GP.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

There shouldn't be any reason the PS5 would use different save data. Save data is not complicated. It is a set of instructions. Given the game is literally running on the same engine and will have the same content, this doesn't make sense.

Especially since...ya know, xbox is doing it:

Well in the case of Yakuza:

---

I mean is it though? It is essentially the same game with a next gen patch applied. The content between the two games will be the same. I doubt these publishers are making the effort to make sure this is happening on Xbox but just go "nah fuck that" for the PS5. It seems to me that there is something going on and i think it is likely that Sony is making this process harder for publishers than what MS is doing.

Thanks - i would have thought that silver was tied to the bungie save not the platform but happy to know because i am likely going to Xbox with my PC save for the free BL until they release it on PC GP.

Man I doubt they ever do release it on PC GP but that'd be something for sure.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Man I doubt they ever do release it on PC GP but that'd be something for sure.
Nah they confirmed that it is coming later this year for PC game pass and will be on there for Day 1 expacs going forward. Great value fo poor uni student me at the moment. That 3 years of GP Ultimate for $140 i made last month will pay for itself in Destiny expansions alone for me.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is why I'm going to be doing my second (and likely last) playthrough of The Last of Us: Part 2 via Backwards Compatibility.

Fuck waiting around for a paid remaster where I'm I'm gonna have to start again at 'New Game' (instead of NG+) with none of the things I've unlocked already carrying over. That game is amazing, but it's not "do another 25 hour playthrough just because Sony can't get their shit together," amazing.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Technically it's the same data. But it will be sandboxed for security so no other games can access it. If a PS5 version is a different game ID them it won't be able to access it either. The workaround seems to be the ability for the same owner (publisher/developer - whoever has the Sony dev account) to link the save file from that previous version

yea it requires manual effort and isn't done by the platform by default. But it doesn't seem to be a huge amount of work and honestly any dev/publisher planning to offer free upgrades should be including this in their ps5 release planning. They're already having to do extra work on the ps5 version to allow for the free upgrade

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Sony needs to clarify all of their features for this next gen, and like now. We've all been running on hype and good faith this entire build up to launch while Xbox has been showing and flat out proving their technical achievements thus far with the help of a lot of tech savvy influencers which is a smart idea for the hardcore & English speaking crowd.

I know in Japan they will be sending out/already have PS5's to youtubers on this side but they are all entertainment channels and not technical ones so I doubt there will be any info on that end.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
gamerant.com

Destiny 2 and Its Expansions Coming to PC Game Pass Next Year

Xbox Game Pass confirms that Destiny 2 will be coming to the PC version of Game Pass, with all its expansions, at some point in 2021.

Sorry it is 2021. My bad. Still though, I am happy to play BL on console till it happens for PC in 2021.

Sweeeeet.

Hope this doesn't mean I'd have to like, redownload or something since I have it on steam.

Although tbf I did already preorder the full next year soooo...

I looked it up, 11:35 ish in the one on the Playstation Youtube channel. 👍

Oh hey thank you for doing that. I'll rewatch then.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Sweeeeet.

Hope this doesn't mean I'd have to like, redownload or something since I have it on steam.

Although tbf I did already preorder the full next year soooo...
Dunno about a re-download - possibly as it would be through the Windows store. Likely not as useful for PC users come BL but man from Witch Queen onwards for free on PC would be fantastic.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
There shouldn't be any reason the PS5 would use different save data. Save data is not complicated. It is a set of instructions. Given the game is literally running on the same engine and will have the same content, this doesn't make sense.

I'm not suggesting it is complicated, but it likely has a different container or identifier, and it's whether the developers want it to be recognised, by the new version of the software or not.

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
I hope that the save will transfer for Witcher, can't see myselft replaying everything, I just had Blood and Wine to do.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not suggesting it is complicated, but it likely has a different container or identifier, and it's whether the developers want it to be recognised, by the new version of the software or not.

It doesn't make sense for the devs to be fine with it working on xbox but not playstation.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
It's also very likely it uses different encryption, and considering PS4 is security has been broken and it's save games are exploitable, I don't think Sony is eager to bring those over to PS5. So how would you transfer savedata, encrypted in way only accessible by the PS5, from PS4 to PS5, that isn't some form of developer implemented cloud-sync?

Either MS is less concerned about this or their backend is able to transform savedata on the fly.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Except, it's not always that simple. It can still be prohibitively difficult. Sony is absolutely deserving of criticism if their SDK makes things unreasonably difficult, and there is some evidence it really is here.

If Sony wants to provide a good, consistent experience, they need to invest in ensuring features like this are commonly supported. Microsoft by contrast are doing a great job of it. It's really pathetic that Sony can't get their act together. There is zero reason to defend them here. Seeing how complicated it can be, I do not blame them.

For whatever it's worth, Sony's OS side is actually a selling point of the PS5, and sports a tonne of new features that their competitor likely lacks. For whatever reason they've yet to reveal their OS, but it was teased a while back and developers are obviously already working with it. That means that new save data might need additional features that are specific to their system.

That's different to what we're seeing on XBOX's side, where they have 5 systems due to exist in what is essentially, the same ecosystem. The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be much more defined at the OS level, affecting how players interact with their games, and experience their library. The user experience is due to be quite distinct, and that might necessitate certain differences with regards to things like save data, that we're not aware of yet.

I imagine you'll get a lot more information after they've kind of delivered that information blowout on their OS functionality. For now, they're keeping quiet because they don't want to reveal that yet. I admit, I'd rather we just had all of the information about the PS5, especially as it's already available for pre-order. But given that they're struggling to meet demand of those pre-orders, I doubt Sony feel pressed to reveal everything just yet.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy that this is something we have to worry about. This shit should just work.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'm imagining they completely revamped how saving works and that's why we're seeing these issues. Have they said if saves would port over for titles that aren't upgraded, just compatible?

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
I hope that the save will transfer for Witcher, can't see myselft replaying everything, I just had Blood and Wine to do.
Doubtful, the base game and Goty edition were considered two different SKUs, the same will probably happen with the Complete Edition. In fact I don't think saves are gonna transfer on Xbox either.
I asked asked both Marcin and Hollie on twitter about saves, and whether or not base console game + season pass will be considered the same as a GotY (it didn't when I claimed my free GoG copy), and they didn't reply.

It's also very likely it uses different encryption, and considering PS4 is security has been broken and it's save games are exploitable, I don't think Sony is eager to bring those over to PS5. So how would you transfer savedata, encrypted in way only accessible by the PS5, from PS4 to PS5, that isn't some form of developer implemented cloud-sync?

Either MS is less concerned about this or their backend is able to transform savedata on the fly.
True, you can't access saves on Xbox IIRC. They are only stored in the cloud

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Thought this might be interesting. Post on rllmukforum from a dev who clearly knows what he's talking about regarding this

Yeah it very interesting thanks.
I didn't know about the one titleID reference link since studio RGG games check for all the other games' presence, which now obviously only means it checks you have the title on your account and does not try to access it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever it's worth, Sony's OS side is actually a selling point of the PS5, and sports a tonne of new features that their competitor likely lacks. For whatever reason they've yet to reveal their OS, but it was teased a while back and developers are obviously already working with it. That means that new save data might need additional features that are specific to their system.

That's different to what we're seeing on XBOX's side, where they have 5 systems due to exist in what is essentially, the same ecosystem. The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be much more defined at the OS level, affecting how players interact with their games, and experience their library. The user experience is due to be quite distinct, and that might necessitate certain differences with regards to things like save data, that we're not aware of yet.

I imagine you'll get a lot more information after they've kind of delivered that information blowout on their OS functionality. For now, they're keeping quiet because they don't want to reveal that yet. I admit, I'd rather we just had all of the information about the PS5, especially as it's already available for pre-order. But given that they're struggling to meet demand of those pre-orders, I doubt Sony feel pressed to reveal everything just yet.
You could be on to something there, and I reckon the reason we've not heard much more about game saves from Sony is that they're waiting until the UI reveal to showcase these new features, some of them possibly based on patents that exist such as this:
www.tweaktown.com

PlayStation 5's SSD may revolutionize save states with instant launch

Sony's next-gen PlayStation 5 could use a new instant access feature that lets you customize save states.
Now, if that is the level of innovation and user experience Sony is going for with the PS5 - and something that requires an overhaul - I could understand and probably accept to a certain degree, but don't expect nearly everyone to be happy with that sacrifice.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think that explanation really highlight the difference between Smart Delivery and Sony's cross-save that certain people has been deeming as the same.

For XBox, the same game, whether it is a physical format for XBox or the enhanced digital form on XBox Series X, they are treated as 1 version, so you can easily transfer save state easily, and games can scale easily between the platforms.

For PS4/5, the same game with multiple variants (GOTY, remastered, vanilla, PS4 digital, PS5 physical etc) are all counted as different versions, so implementation for cross-save and accessibility between the various variants might be more complicated and involve more work.

At least that's what I think is happening.

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Xbox solved this by making BC and cross-gen basically the same thing. Sony's insistence of a generation gap is not doing favors here.

This basically and the lack of information from the Sony camp is getting annoying at this point in time. We are one and a half months away from the next gen launch, we know pretty much everything for Series S and X, we've seen the Series X in peoples hands and we have some opinions on it but on PS5 absolutely nothing and Sony is silent.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I don't see the issue. If you are buying a PS5, you will be playing new PS5 exclusive games on it. If you want to play old games, keep your old PS4

You don´t see the issue if players dump 70hrs into Valhalla or Watch Dogs Legion on a PS4, decide to upgrade to a PS5 next year, get their PS5 version "for free" and are welcomed with a clean save file?

or people playing CP2077 at release and next year there is the native PS5 version and a DLC, players want to continue their save file to start the DLC and realize that they have to start all over again?

someone playing Dirt 5 on PS4, unlocked all tracks, having some real good lap times, upgrades to PS5 next year and having to start again?

people saying "its up to the devs" don´t get the point, besides that, where does Sony say that it is up to the devs to implement such a system? When even Yakuza 7 doesn´t let you transfer your PS4 savefile to the PS5 version surely people assume that will be the case for other games too.

or some people coming with ridiculous BS like "people should not be able to transfer their saves and get some trophies for free that way".
no joke, i´ve read this in the Dualshockers comments.

the muddled communication from Sony is the cherry on top. frankly, they did so many things wrong in this whole PS5 rollout, at this point i have a bad feeling about this console, literally the only thing that ensures them people going forward is the amassed goodwill of the PS4 generation, other than that they did everything wrong so far.

hiked first party prices, no Dualshock 4 for PS5 games, games that were thought of PS5 launch exclusives suddenly also on PS4, the Spider-Man remastered bonanza where they want people to buy the Miles Morales Ultimate to play that game, Jim Ryan silent on the things that would be interesting to know...

Sony is giving a very bad look at the moment, there is no denying in that. they should be careful with their non communication and awkward decisions, if they continue with this course, the wind could change direction swiftly blowing directly into their faces.

Last edited:

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Not taking any chances by playing before next gen patches of:

Cyberpunk
Avengers
Control

I'll be glad to replay a fresh new next gen patched game of:

Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us II
Destiny