Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
How?

What exactly do think the main benefit of the SSD is?
Namely the ability to quickly & intuitively swap between games. Having to get up & swap a disc kills that convenience.

I will say, that's the main benefit of an SSD on a console right now - especially since so many games are still built to run on past-gen consoles. Very few titles are designed to actually make use of SSD speeds - thus the main benefit is the quick startup time & lack of loading.

DaCocoBrova

Oct 27, 2017
Was this not anticipated? One of many reasons I sat this launch out. Would be nice if game installs were optional for disc based consoles.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
If the base SSD space is an issue 1 month in, I can't imagine how large of an expandable SSD space you will need for the next 7 years.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't even know there were that many ps5 games out there.. if you have ps4 games you should store them in an external ssd.

Thank god there are no data caps in my country, because of that this is such a non issue.

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
was gonna make this thread yesterday. where the hell is the communication sony? at the very least give us a time table.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Think they already know this? A list of compatible drives is coming but we will have to be patient.

OP
OP
Falus

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the base SSD space is an issue 1 month in, I can't imagine how large of an expandable SSD space you will need for the next 7 years.
I had 2x4tb on my Xbox one x (but since I bought 2 serie x I gave one hdd to each console and deleted a lot of games I never play ). Thanks gamepass. I have a 4tb on my Ps5's for PS4 games and I need storage for Ps5 games

I didn't even know there were that many ps5 games out there.. if you have ps4 games you should store them in an external ssd.

Thank god there are no data caps in my country, because of that this is such a non issue.
i have 1000/1000mb with no data caps. Doesn't change the problem for me. And as I said I have an external drive for PS4 games.
cod is around 180gb I think. Jeez

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Try to look at it this way. An SSD of 1 TB size is at least 100 bucks, right?

If this is a small thing, then it means that what's being stored on them is taking up huge chunks of that terabyte of space.

So let's call it Big AAA Game 2021 takes up 80 GB. So you're out almost 1/10 of your space, plus whatever additional stuff you download for that game and its needs.

Then you start saying "Well I need more space." So what do you want, another terabyte? So you get that extra terabyte and it lasts a while until you run into the same problem.

Assuming you're using the console regularly to download games you're always going to run into this problem because it's not the number of terabytes. It's not like Sony shipped a memory card that couldn't save enough games so you had to buy a third party.

It's more that these 4K optimized cross-gen. games, surely to be replaced by games that were meant for the consoles, are just devouring the space. You'll get your PS5 Ultra Pro Edition in a couple of years with the 2 TB drive, but it's not going to fix the core issue.

As long as you demand your quality modes, you have no business demanding giant SSDs are shipped with the consoles.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Yeah cold storage is coming but don't expect to play PS5 games off the HDD. The games require the SSD to work properly.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Are you playing 8 games at a time OP?

You might think this is a rhetorical question, but it isn't. YES, I am playing multiple games at a time. Or, more correctly, I have multiple games in progress. I have 42 games "in progress" right now. That's not on PS5, it's across multiple systems, but even so. Actually, 7 of those are on PS4, and 2 on PS5, so if I were playing all of them on PS5, it'd be 9.

But that's beside the point. The point is, some people think it's not normal, even outlandish, to have so many games in progress at once. But it isn't. It's absolutely normal. Think how many TV shows, book series, comics, movie series, et cetera are actually still ongoing. Or maybe just ongoing, for you, even though they're finished, you haven't finished consuming them. You know where each one is in its progression. You don't say to someone: "You should finish watching The Good Place before you're allowed to watch another show. Why would you be watching multiple shows at once?"

And of course, a lot of games aren't designed to end. Why should I uninstall a game like Rocket League, or a fighting game, or a competitive shooter, ever? Or even something like Trials - I might want to attempt a better time, now and again, for years. I finished Breath of the Wild 3 years ago, and I still boot it up to just run around and have fun.

Not to mention, the PS5 is designed to have multiple games in progress at once. It's one of the bragging points about how great the fast storage is: you can instantly switch between games.

OP is 100% correct. Additional storage is an issue. Their competitor had addressed it already, and rightfully so. Dismissing it because it works for your usage is not an answer. It's pretty dickish, actually.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
It will come. But i guess, considering the current situation, it is difficult to give some solid dates. Things are not going great in the world lately, plus we are in holiday season too.
I think they will give more info when they are sure they can deliver their promises.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how anyone is playing more than even 3-4 games at one time. I can barely play more than 2 at time.
Ha, really? I play 5-6 games at a time, and then you have to factor in multiplayer where you want to keep that on your hard drive/SSD longer for obvious reasons.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PCIe gen 4 is the problem here, and until we start seeing more PCIe gen 4 NVMe drives being made, especially those with PS5 in mind, we will continue to wait
...no. There are several PCIe 4 SSD's with 5500 MB/s read now. The drives are here and ready to go. They come in 2TB capacity too.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people in this thread that clearly don't play MP games if they're saying "How are you playing more than a few games at once?"

It doesn't take much to fill up the SSD on the PS5 if you play MP games + some SP games.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why people have to stack so many downloadable games when they're only playing a couple at a time
Maybe it's more than a couple for some people. Add in multiplayer games or games you plan to cover if you're a streamer and/or Youtuber and that increases a bit.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
For me, it's the data caps and the fact that I always want my console to look like a little virtual arcade.

I had over 300 games installed on my PS3's 500 GB HDD.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
It's been more than one month. And nothing new beside "it's coming".
Right now and unexpectedly , multi platform games are at least as good on ps5 (or slightly better) than serie x. And imho the biggest difference is the controller with adaptive trigger
Yet I start to buy more games on my serie x because I don't have any storage left (50gb ) on my ps5

It's actually the first time I feel like I need to delete games. And I don't want to even though I got the platinum in miles morales I like to swing by sometimes.

storage has always been a money issue mostly on the previous gen. More storage = more drive to buy. It still is and it's very expensive to play next gen game on serie x yet You can buy a seagate extension (and serie x has more native storage a well). Ps5 ? Nothing. A mandatory need to delete the game you own and bought if you want to buy and install new game.

what's up with Sony about that. It's frustrating.
i am sure i am the minority but i have 13 games installed on the base memory three of them ps5 games so its not the best but far from lacking. I am just worried the expanded storage is gonna be expensive.

Nov 2, 2019
I really don't understand this issue. How many games can you play at once? I survived all of last gen with 500GB and haven't had an issue with my Series S and that has LESS space. I have Fallout 76, Forza Horizon 4, No Man's Sky, Jedi Fallen Order, Skyrim, Planet Coaster, SOMA, Visage, and I think 3 or 4 extra smaller indie/360 games installed and I still only ever play a couple of these. If I need room, I just delete something I haven't played in awhile.

To clarify, I'm not defending Sony for not being more open about storage. I'm just curious how people could already be having space issues.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I really don't understand this issue. How many games can you play at once? I survived all of last gen with 500GB and haven't had an issue with my Series S and that has LESS space. I have Fallout 76, Forza Horizon 4, No Man's Sky, Jedi Fallen Order, Skyrim, Planet Coaster, SOMA, Visage, and I think 3 or 4 extra smaller indie/360 games installed and I still only ever play a couple of these. If I need room, I just delete something I haven't played in awhile.

To clarify, I'm not defending Sony for not being more open about storage. I'm just curious how people could already be having space issues.

I can start up to 20 games at once that I'll never play again. I started the game Steep because I wanted to fall off a mountain into some snow. Mission accomplished.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ha, really? I play 5-6 games at a time, and then you have to factor in multiplayer where you want to keep that on your hard drive/SSD longer for obvious reasons.
Yeah same time I think you def prob top 5% of people doing that. Maybe even lower. But I get it. I just tend to focus on a game or two at a time and I don't really do much MP

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I know it's the holidays and of course everyone is dealing with covid but there's so much improvements that need to be made to the operating system and user interface so I really hope they get cracking on it in the new year.

It's my least favorite part of the whole experience with the console, every time I'm in the menus I'm annoyed.

I still don't even know if it's safe to use to rest mode or install games to an external ssd, as far as know there's been nothing addressed or any updates to fix the issues people had let alone my other issues.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Sony's never going to do that "thing" you want them to do. They'll add small features here or there, but they're more likely working on one or two larger improvements that make the PS5 stand out. I would look forward to that.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It seems to be low priority. Bug fixes that affect 40% of the user base is a much better use of time than adding storage options for the 2% of users who already need it.

We know external storage is being looked into.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people really just play one game and stick to it until it's complete? Some of the responses here are amazing....

Heres an Example, I want to play a basketball game like NBA 2k21 cause you know I'm in the mood for some nba bam 100gb gone, now Im in the mood for some multiplayer hmm a shooting game maybe cod.. bam another damn 100gb, ok now I want to play some single player or something ok ill play Demons souls.. another 80gb. Half ur shit gone with 3 games..
Wtf would I store one game at a time and be miserable, miserable experience. What the point of digital if thats the experience.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Do people really just play one game and stick to it until it's complete? Some of the responses here are amazing....

Heres an Example, I want to play a basketball game like NBA 2k21 cause you know I'm in the mood for some nba bam 100gb gone, now Im in the mood for some multiplayer hmm a shooting game maybe cod.. bam another damn 100gb, ok now I want to play some single player or something ok ill play Demons souls.. another 80gb. Half ur shit gone with 3 games..
Wtf would I store one game at a time and be miserable, miserable experience. What the point of digital if thats the experience.

That's what gaming was like when I was 10. This is why we rented games.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not mistaken Cerny said compatible ssds should be at least 7Gb/s to compensate for the lack of priority lanes or whatever tech Sony is using
Except they need to be much faster than that to compensate for the PS5's custom priority bus.
Okay, so pretend I said 7000 instead of 5500 because the drives I'm talking about are all over 7000 MB/s in read.

The drives are here. WD even advertised the SN850 as being PS5 compatible before changing the product page (presumably at Sony's request).

We're waiting on Sony.

FanceeLadd

Jan 17, 2020
This is one reason I'll be waiting a couple of years until Sony announces the PS5 Slim or whatever they end up calling it, which will probably have double the storage space. Plus it will take me that long to catch up on my current-gen backlog anyway.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
We know it wouldn't at launch since Cerny presentation. If you translate that by "it will be available after one month", that's completely on you.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand why people have to stack so many downloadable games when they're only playing a couple at a time

I just don't understand why people defend Sony's complete lack of action and idiotic refusal to address the situation at all here when the system has fucking 650 or so GB of storage space and one of the most popular games in existence right now takes up 150 gigs. "Optimal SSD drive size" my ass, people need storage space. Should have had at least 1TB, and the expansion slot compatibility should be an absolute priority. It is unreal that people are defending Sony on this. Completely ludicrous.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Having your media readily available at the click of an icon is pretty much the best part part about being digital.