• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DinkyDev

Feb 5, 2021
A brand-new Karate Kid film is in development from Sony Pictures that'll see the kid serve as the teacher this time around.
We here at Murphy's Multiverse can exclusively reveal that Sony is looking to cast a teen lead for a new Karate Kid film. Sony is looking for a 17-year-old male, Chinese actor who speaks both Mandarin and English. The character is referred to as Li and is said to be small for his age, but tough, smart and scrappy. He is said to be a skilled fighter and a student in Beijing who finds his life uprooted after his mother moves them to Brooklyn, New York.
Li is said to be struggling with a past tragedy, which drives a wedge between him and his doctor mom, who has managed to handle the same tragedy in her own way. After Li meets Mia, a student from his high school, and her father, Victor, at a local pizza restaurant, he'll soon find his life has changed yet again – for the better. Li soon finds himself training Victor in the art of Kung Fu, despite his mother's stance against violence and fighting, and ultimately back in the ring himself.
The film does not yet have a director attached, but Rob Lieber (Peter Rabbit) is attached to pen the script. A start date has also yet to be revealed for the film's production.

News of a new Karate Kid film comes after it was revealed back in December 2021 that Sony Pictures TV renewed its contract with Cobra Kai creators Josh Heald, Jon Hurwitz, and Hayden Schlossberg. The deal is said to run for four years and allows for the expansion of the Cobra Kai and Karate Kid franchises. This new film looks to be its own entity separate from that deal as it is a feature film.
www.murphysmultiverse.com

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Moving Ahead with New 'Karate Kid' Film - Murphy's Multiverse

A brand-new Karate Kid film is in development from Sony Pictures that'll see the kid serve as the teacher this time around.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
This could be fine, but sounds like it's just using the IP to draw attention. Not much relation to the Karate Kid formula/universe

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Leaning pretty heavy on stereotypes, but having the kid teach the adult is a novel approach.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
It's the same bullshit as the Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan film. Why not call it THE KUNG FU KID???

Sony execs are like, "nah, all Asian martial arts are the same"

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Did people have issues with the Karate Kid but Kung Fu in China previous movie?
In any case, wouldn't it be better to try and make it closer to the series that's currently pretty popular?

It's the same bullshit as the Jaden Smith/Jackie Chan film. Why not call it THE KUNG FU KID???

Sony execs are like, "nah, all Asian martial arts are the same"
The want to make money off the brand, that's the whole reason this exists. They saw those Cobra Kai metrics and decided to go for it.

Now, that doesn't explain why they simply couldn't have had a Japanese teen teach Karate...

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for meeting me. I've been reading about you. I don't know how I got here … something to do with Daniel Larusso. I'm thinking of putting a team together. Do some good.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the Bullshido Bastard where the martial arts instructor is a fraud that teaches a kid fake martial arts.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The reason why Cobra Kai works so well is because William Zabka and Ralph Macchio are there. The rest of the cast is obviously fantastic, but that dynamic is a massive part of why the show it successful. It starts off by settling a score we all knew about from the 1980s. It was nostalgia bait and then it delivered with a really fun and emotional plot. If this is just "another" Karate Kid, I have zero faith in it.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Kung Fu == Karate again?

tumblr_p9nox11iHO1rmrpdmo3_400.gifv

Sony: See? Totally the same!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Seems a bit off to do this when Cobra Kia is still going.

BUUTTTTT. The casting call and plot is also a bit weird. Karate is Japanese, not Chinese.