• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Really wish adding PS1 and PSP games onto this service would mean that my old digital PS1 and PSP purchases would become playable on my PS5. But I highly doubt that's happening; Sony doesn't need to entice people with surprise backwards compatibility updates like how MS did with the Xbox One. Even so, with my Series X, I can play digital Xbox 360 games that I bought well over a decade ago. It feels shitty that I can't play games that are tied to my PSN account when Microsoft was willing to acknowledge my old digital purchases.

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
CA8529-A4-F53-B-4-C40-A6-B4-FE10-A239566-B.jpg

The more I read into it, it doesn't seem that much different from what PS Now is today. What am I missing? Just rebranding? New label on a old service?

May 14, 2021
This is one of the easiest passes in a long time. I have 5 more years of PS+ locked in at 28 dollars a year, and nothing being offered here makes me want to add to that.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Any mention of what is going to happen for current Ps Now& Plus subs? I think I have both until like july sometime.

Wrench

Jan 19, 2022
Unless, I missed something doesn't seem like there is much here for PC gamers. Just looks like Now-style streaming only at the most expensive tier.

This could have been a great opportunity to expand and introduce or re-introduce gamers in the PC market to the PS ecosystem. Oh well. I'm locked into Game Pass for years and can easily continue passing on Playstation Plus subs.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
So it sure sounds like they don't have any type of competitor to BC Enhanced games like on the Xbox side of things, or they would've advertised that.

Big disappointment for me. 4K rendering, FPS Boost, and Auto HDR are huge for me,
and make many 360 titles feel like near current-gen games.
This was never rumored for this service. Just that we would be getting classic games similar to Nintendo Switch Online and a library of PS4/5 games. Nothing about BC enhancements for retro titles were hinted at or discussed in rumors.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Old games will have trophies? They were messing with patents before (more recent ones than the ps2 to ps4 patents) so I guess maybe?
No buy from me if no trophies or at least high res support

That is the only way they are going to get me to get that high tier, if they somehow were to get trophies added to PS1/2/PSP games I am in there day 1. Without it though, I have no reason to pay more for something I already have instant access to with my ripped library on my PC.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
So I can download PSP games and play them emulated?? Am I reading that right? That and PS3 has me on board.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised people are so down on this. Being able to download any games other than PS3 is more than I expected (I thought all pre-PS4 systems would be stream only). Yearly pricing is similar to Game Pass. No Day 1 games, but you get first-party stuff that's a little older (Returnal, Miles Morales, etc.) and up to 740 games in the highest tier. In comparison, Xbox Game Pass has around 450 games right now (a little less on PC).

Better than expected.

Now I need to know about the upgrade path because I have PS+ paid until 2025 lol

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Did we get confirmation as to what Tier the PS+ Collection games will be included in?

Will they still be in the Essential tier?

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Hear me out on this, I know it'll be hard to swallow. You are allowed to want more; you are allowed to expect that the multibillion-dollar company with the original source code can do for money what a random group of software engineers do for free without any resources in their free time. Yes, people thought they would finally get ps3 emulation, no need to shit on others for wanting something more from a new service from the brand who is essentially the king of gaming market share.
It's keeping expectations in check vs wanting something out of reach. There was never any realistic way we were getting day 1 releases and PS3 downloads were surely a pipedream. It's nice to want things but those were never really going to happen. And no sane, reasonable rumour ever pointed to that either. It's like people walking into PSVR2 threads and just dumping "no wireless, no buy" comments and then running. There's sometimes limits and obstacles that just mean wanting better isn't realistic or feasible.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
It doesn't mention that but c'mon, it's Sony, they will absolutely not allow you to redownload them just because you bought them in the past.

I doubt you'll even be able to buy them individually and they'll all be tied to the highest tier as it states.
Yeah, it's wishful thinking to expect otherwise. Like Nintendo with the Virtual Console purchases.

Aug 14, 2020
It's just so strange to me that they announced this without the full list of available games. It's hard to see the value in a service until we know what we're getting.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At least I won't need to find extra money for my sons PS5 account. No day 1 means he will be fine with what he already has with ps +

Also seems to be too many options. I can see all that info confusing people.

PolygonalDude

Banned
Mar 1, 2022
I dont understand why gamepass is seen as a good value. I tried it on the promo rate and its terrible. None of the games there are for me and they can also leave service at any time even if they are. Its the very definition of the FOMO from gacha games. I dont want Sony to follow behind MS in that area. Now if every game on gamepass ever added stayed there as long as you paid that would be a different story but as opposed to netflix, it doesnt have anything close to that variety to remove anything ever but to just keep adding

So Sony offer seems better

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do personally value PS1 Classics enough to be a wait and see on upgrading my sub. Need to know emulation quality and title selection, but if it's generally good, I'll upgrade.

Not even pretending that it's a deal for most people but I'm very fond of PS1 as that's the generation and platform that elevated me to a more enthusiast level of interest in the medium.

Game Pass as of right now still seems like the easier general recommend.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Even the ps2 classics released in the ps3 era were underwhelming. I just want access to old classics like yugioh Duelist of the rose, the Digimon rumble games, bloody roar games, Timesplitters, tenchu, Armored cores etc..

For sure, but there was a decent variety which was surprising tbh. It had games like DDS1 and 2 and even Growlanser games and stuff like GrimGrimoire which was damn cool. I'll still be happy with that kind of lineup

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
So no Day 1 games
No Vita
No streaming PS3 (for my country anyway)

Next you'll be telling me that they're only 50hz PAL versions like the PlayStation Classic had.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
So is the move to quickly stack up on annual PS Now codes, which will get moved to the Premium tier at launch, and certainly cost less than $120/yr?

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
Eh I might sub for month to play some rare PS2 or PS3 games like 3D Dot Game Heroes if they throw them up there, but I wouldn't stay subbed just for classics I probably already own. Give me an option to buy them, if they download and work on PS5 like classics did on PS3/PS4.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
All in all this is a pretty smart move. Since it's all combined in PS+ I'm definitely inclined to give it a try. Being a separate service somehow created an extra barrier that's not there now.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
This is such an underwhelming announcement. I guess the biggest plus is that there appears to be some cool marquee titles on the second tier at the start of the service like Miles Morales, Returnal, Death Stranding, etc.

The prices are pretty bad on a monthly basis but are pretty good on an annual basis. Makes the idea of buying the service for a month or so to play some classic titles very pricey. There is a huge discount to purchase the tiers annually.

I think it's lame that Sony is only putting PS1 / PS2 / PSP/ PS3 titles on the highest tier. Why can't Sony add those in to that second tier? Game Pass has titles from original Xbox and Xbox 360 in it.

I do hope this spurs Microsoft into offering cheaper Game Pass subscriptions for annual purchases. Right now, it is just the one monthly option.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm the only one that's hyped in this thread lol?

400+ PS4 and PS5 games with Returnal, god of war, both spider man's is great plus it sounds like it will differ from ps now selection in that they say they're working with third parties on the "best" games for it. Wouldn't be shocked if stuff like RE8 are on there.

PS3+ classic game pricing tier is a bit steep but I never pay full price for these things anyway.

When my game pass sub expires at the end of the year I will have to think about which I use. I have a PS5 and a series S and am not interested in Starfield, might just let Game Pass lapse and wait for their holiday 2023 lineup, depending on how strong the indie lineup for this PS+ Extra is

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Any mention of what is going to happen for current Ps Now& Plus subs? I think I have both until like july sometime.
Does it actually transition into the highest tier if I subscribe to NOW right now?

When the new PlayStation Plus service launches, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus offering and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.

Not sure what will happen to the current PS+ subscribers for those that have both. Currently stocking up on some €60 PS Now years that'll transition into Premium.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Should have just made these games purchaseable like they were for PS3, sucks they even took down the ability to buy these games. Should have been made so much easier instead of a forced subscription.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was never rumored for this service. Just that we would be getting classic games similar to Nintendo Switch Online and a library of PS4/5 games. Nothing about BC enhancements for retro titles were hinted at or discussed in rumors.
I don't care what was rumored. I care about what I want to see from the service, and I care about feeling like I'm getting my money's worth compared to Game Pass.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Benefits:
  • Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
  • Adds a catalog of up to 400* of the most enjoyable PS4 and PS5 games – including blockbuster hits from our PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
This ain't bad, If PS+ extra has a good lineup I will upgrade. The highest tier does nothing for me.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Old games will have trophies? They were messing with patents before (more recent ones than the ps2 to ps4 patents) so I guess maybe?
No buy from me if no trophies or at least high res support

I'm going to go with no. Because I firmly believe it would 100% have been part of this announcement to try entice more people.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
There's no indication the classics will be PS5 exclusive right?

AlanOC91
The fact that Japan is included this time is a pretty clear indication the these aren't the PS2 on PS4 versions (never came to the region).

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I think if they don't offer the games a la carte on PS4/5... it'll be to avoid this exact question. Just like NSO.

And that's why I've stopped purchasing older gen titles on PSN and have limited my spending. I find it disrespectful that the old games I purchased with real money aren't available every ~7 years on the same service, because Sony arbitrarily decides to change how their new console and their new store works. Yeah, I get it, they're licenses, but it's still the same account on the same service.

Kydd BlaZe

Apr 17, 2018
I just want to be able to play Killzone 1 & 2 in 4K HDR 60fps on my PS5. And God of War 1-3, Syphon Filter series, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.