nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
A 2019 release without any decent exclusive?
I'm not talking about cross-gen games (TLOU2, Death Stranding and etc). I'm talking about a proper next-gen 1st Party exclusive.

I don't think they're this dumb. PS4 BC with some improvements could be nice, but it's not a selling point to make the masses buy a new machine. Also, the hirings should go by the end of the year. Only 6~8 months of planning for both marketing and software seems to be a very short window.

May 10, 2018
Still going with 2020. Don't know how people get 2019 from this and what little information we have so far.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but it felt like in 2012 we were getting plenty of news about what the PS4 and Xbox One were going to be like.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A 2019 release without any decent exclusive?
I'm not talking about cross-gen games (TLOU2, Death Stranding and etc). I'm talking about a proper next-gen 1st Party exclusive.

I don't think they're this dumb. PS4 BC with some improvements could be nice, but it's not a selling point to make the masses buy a new machine. Also, the hirings should go by the end of the year. Only 6~8 months of planning for both marketing and software seems to be a very short window.
Horizon 2 could be due. 2 years and 8 months of dev time is probably enough for a sequel.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Still going with 2020. Don't know how people get 2019 from this and what little information we have so far.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but it felt like in 2012 we were getting plenty of news about what the PS4 and Xbox One were going to be like.
First leak of PS4 was end of 2011(24 months ahead of launch) . We are 12 months away from holiday 2019 and not a single leak .
And no dev kits yet.

That's why 2020 makes more sense to me

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A marketing strategy for a new console takes over a year to work out, finalise and put in motion

This hiring now suggests 2020 much more than 2019

(i work in an advertising agency so i do know what im talking about on this subject anyway :)

Sounds like Q1 2020 unless it takes an advertising agency two years to work out a marketing strategy.

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
What makes you think that. To me, it sounds like marketing plans are still so early. Plus Sony has like three more PS4 games they'd want to squeeze out so I can see them waiting til 2020. Plus it's also the 25th anniversary of the PS1 and the 20th Anniversary of the PS2 in the US that year and you bet your ass they'll do something with that.

Why would Sony choose to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Playstation family by its later release in a foreign market when they can just do the actual 25th anniversary next year?

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
How are people getting holiday 2019 from the fact that they're still in the marketing concept phase and haven't even finalized anything yet. It clearly says they begin recruiting 12-16 months in advance of the full-blown marketing campaign.

12 months from this month will be next October and I'm pretty sure they won't only market it a month before it's usual release in November.

16 months puts it at January which would make it an announcement at the beginning of the new year 2020 which will give them a hell of a long time to market it and get everyone riled up over the course of the year. However, if the official announcement is that early in 2020, then I'd expect a Spring to Summer launch.

you're tottaly right - although I'd say and end of summer 2020 launch - this allows all the 'big' autumn games - CoD, battlefield etc to come out soon after launch across both old and new machines wth souped up versions on the PS5

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First leak of PS4 was end of 2011(24 months ahead of launch) . We are 12 months away from holiday 2019 and not a single leak .
And no dev kits yet.

That's why 2020 makes more sense to me
I don't think that means anything. Just look at the Switch and how little info we got for it until it revealed. It's not impossible that sony tightened down on things.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
you know what, i would love a spring launch for the PS5 much like the switch

it allowed enthusiasts to basically beat the crowd and then let the parents fight come the fall during the holiday season

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think that means anything. Just look at the Switch and how little info we got for it until it revealed. It's not impossible that sony tightened down on things.
We got so many leaks on the hybrid Nintendo before the reveal .Also don't forget that Sony has much more dependency on 3rd parties than nintendo.so Sony can't keep 3rd parties in the dark like Nintendo can .

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
To give a recent example. AMD announced Zen2 to be design complete (tape-out I guess) in January 2018 at CES so all that is left is validation/testing/spins at TSMC, mass production ramp and delivery to stores. If we assume AMD plan on a Q2 2019 launch of Zen2 CPUs then the lead time is 15-18 months for this last part after tape-out alone.

Okay that makes sense. Thanks for the info update!

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We got so many leaks on the hybrid Nintendo before the reveal .Also don't forget that Sony has much more dependency on 3rd parties than nintendo.so Sony can't keep 3rd parties in the dark like Nintendo can .
No we didn't, at least not 2 years in advanced. We got patents that people speculated and made up their own rumors off of.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a brand new hardware ? They need to update their engine first and that takes almost half of that time .then only a year to do a proper sequal ?highly unlikely
Eh, i dont know about that. KZ Shadowfall was released on a similar timeframe. KZ3 was released in Feb 2011 and 2 years and 8 months later ShadowFall was released as a launch title while they were working on Horizon and another cancelled game at the same time.

this time, they will be fully staffed and focused on one game. they have a pretty decent engine and i highly doubt getting it to run with higher specs will require so much work that they wouldnt have been able to start actual dev a year and half into development.

artists and writers can create assets and the story without worrying about the game engine. the level designers always have to work around constant changes to the engines anyway. im pretty sure GG being a first party studio means they had early knowledge of the PS5 specs and they probably got a running start.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I use to be Team2020, but now I'm leaning towards Team2019...
I don't want it in 2019, but I will probably buy it...

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
All this Sony PS5 news lately

What is Sony thinking there is no rush against the competition the PS4 is doing well, should at least aim to release at the same time as other consoles

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Fall 2019.

People pay attention too much to the way things have been in the past instead of looking to the way things will be in the future.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, i dont know about that. KZ Shadowfall was released on a similar timeframe. KZ3 was released in Feb 2011 and 2 years and 8 months later ShadowFall was released as a launch title while they were working on Horizon and another cancelled game at the same time.

this time, they will be fully staffed and focused on one game. they have a pretty decent engine and i highly doubt getting it to run with higher specs will require so much work that they wouldnt have been able to start actual dev a year and half into development.

artists and writers can create assets and the story without worrying about the game engine. the level designers always have to work around constant changes to the engines anyway. im pretty sure GG being a first party studio means they had early knowledge of the PS5 specs and they probably got a running start.

I think it's a shame GG nearly always get stuck with producing games with tight schedules and gimmicks.

KZ3 had Move support and 3D.

KZ:SF had the gimmick of being a launch title

I dunno if there was any pressure from higher up, but I feel always feel like GG games have great (fantastic) tech, but could do with a little more time in the oven to refine the game to a mirror polished sheen. Something we get with ND and SSM.

I felt the same about Horizon too. If Sony/GG want to build it into a serious franchise, it should not have the burden of being a PS5 launch title.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
"It's launching in 2019!"

^ So say you believe this. Let's look at the timeline.

October 2018 - They post the position, mentioning specifically that the role would chart the "roadmap" for next gen marketing
November 2018 - Likely when the position would start after, I imagine, a lengthy interview process
November, December 2018 - Senior Product Manager integrates with the team and initializes marketing roadmap.
Now, since Late 2019 is the speculated window by some, let's base the following timeline off of the PS4 road to release. Both because it was incredibly successful so we don't need to assume they'd stray super far from that release strategy, but also because, like, launching one year from now doesn't leave much time for anything else.

January 2019 - The team prepares to kick off the marketing initiative, which means they need to have completed the entire roadmap and set everything up without a hitch in three months, during the holiday season.
February 2019 - The PS5 is announced in a spectacular and meticulously planned event. The marketing team started planning this while they were still finishing the concept roadmap.
March, April, May 2019 - The PS5 marketing trickles and grows in the leadup to E3 2019. All of this based on the carefully planned roadmap finalized just a month before after just a couple months of work.
June 2019 - E3 2019. The blowout. Marketing matures for not just the console itself, but the dozens of games announced/showcased with it.
July, August, September 2019 - Marketing is full throttle, proactive, as expected, and reactive to consumer response and sentiment.
October 2019 - Final pre-launch marketing blitz. Details as fine as the packaging have been finalized and everything has been going through production for some time in anticipation of a massive launch.
November 2019 - Launch. There are unboxings, massive ad campaigns, complex strategies that have taken several months to organize and must be executed with precision and flexibility.
December 2019 and beyond - Post-launch/Launch Window. This will also have been planned well in advance of launch.
Now, does anything remotely resembling the above timeline sound reasonable for an international multi-billion dollar company launching the follow-up to one of their most successful products of all time? Not to me, purposely.

I work in a marketing company but I'm not a "marketer" so I own up to my ignorance. But a new generation of consoles is likely a bigger deal logistically for a company than This Year's New Model of TV.

I think this posting lends credence to Spring 2020 at the earliest, personally. (My personal expectation is Fall 2020 but I don't feel strongly about anything other than it not being ready for 2019.)

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's a shame GG nearly always get stuck with producing games with tight schedules and gimmicks.

KZ3 had Move support and 3D.

KZ:SF had the gimmick of being a launch title

I dunno if there was any pressure from higher up, but I feel always feel like GG games have great (fantastic) tech, but could do with a little more time in the oven to refine the game to a mirror polished sheen. Something we get with ND and SSM.

I felt the same about Horizon too. If Sony/GG want to build it into a serious franchise, it should not have the burden of being a PS5 launch title.

It doesn't need to be a launch title though. I posted earlier in thread where I basically said Sony can mirror Nintendo's Switch launch and have a soft launch earlier in the year with a block buster cross gen game like BOTW and have a second launch of sorts with a block buster exclusive like Horizon 2.

My idea

Soft launch

Days Gone cross gen

Couple months later

Last of Us 2 cross gen

E3 happens

Ghost of the Samurai game

Unknown exclusive launches exclusively

Holiday season second launch

Horizon 2 - yes I consider Horizon a block buster game because of how well it was receive and sold. This could be a big franchise moving forward

All of this is not including the 3rd party support and games out of Japan that seems to be console exclusive or flat out exclusive to PlayStation by default.

We don't know all the projects that Sony's 1st and 2nd parties are working on don't know any 3rd party games that they paid for ala Bloodborn.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be 2020, Sony's so damn far ahead it doesn't matter if they "miss" the holiday season. That's implying MS has new hardware for Holiday 2019 and Sony will be behind. They have 4 1st party games coming next year and no way will they dilute any potential ps4 sale by saying its also available on ps5, whether backwards compatible or a whole new souped up disc.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
"It's launching in 2019!"

^ So say you believe this. Let's look at the timeline.

October 2018 - They post the position, mentioning specifically that the role would chart the "roadmap" for next gen marketing
November 2018 - Likely when the position would start after, I imagine, a lengthy interview process
November, December 2018 - Senior Product Manager integrates with the team and initializes marketing roadmap.
Now, since Late 2019 is the speculated window by some, let's base the following timeline off of the PS4 road to release. Both because it was incredibly successful so we don't need to assume they'd stray super far from that release strategy, but also because, like, launching one year from now doesn't leave much time for anything else.

January 2019 - The team prepares to kick off the marketing initiative, which means they need to have completed the entire roadmap and set everything up without a hitch in three months, during the holiday season.
February 2019 - The PS5 is announced in a spectacular and meticulously planned event. The marketing team started planning this while they were still finishing the concept roadmap.
March, April, May 2019 - The PS5 marketing trickles and grows in the leadup to E3 2019. All of this based on the carefully planned roadmap finalized just a month before after just a couple months of work.
June 2019 - E3 2019. The blowout. Marketing matures for not just the console itself, but the dozens of games announced/showcased with it.
July, August, September 2019 - Marketing is full throttle, proactive, as expected, and reactive to consumer response and sentiment.
October 2019 - Final pre-launch marketing blitz. Details as fine as the packaging have been finalized and everything has been going through production for some time in anticipation of a massive launch.
November 2019 - Launch. There are unboxings, massive ad campaigns, complex strategies that have taken several months to organize and must be executed with precision and flexibility.
December 2019 and beyond - Post-launch/Launch Window. This will also have been planned well in advance of launch.
Now, does anything remotely resembling the above timeline sound reasonable for an international multi-billion dollar company launching the follow-up to one of their most successful products of all time? Not to me, purposely.

I work in a marketing company but I'm not a "marketer" so I own up to my ignorance. But a new generation of consoles is likely a bigger deal logistically for a company than This Year's New Model of TV.

I think this posting lends credence to Spring 2020 at the earliest, personally. (My personal expectation is Fall 2020 but I don't feel strongly about anything other than it not being ready for 2019.)

A counterpoint is that without any marketing it's going to sell out regardless.

I think it's more about shaping the image they'll want to use for the whole generation. I imagine Sony already have strong ideas on that front whenever the launch is.