vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Damn, 10 million produced by the end of 2020 is mighty nice. I had previously said if Sony could produce 30 million units in the first year that they'd sell each and every one of them and I still firmly believe that. Gaming is huge right now and with Covid not going anywhere anytime soon people are going to need to entertain themselves any way possible, not to mention the social aspect of playing with friends.

So yeah Sony, make as many as you possibly can in that first year because they'll all sell. Even if they're selling at a loss they'll make monstrous profits off of game sales, accessory sales, services sales, not to mention they'll still have the juggernaut that is the PS4 raking in buttloads of money for years to come. Whether it's the PS5 or the PS5 Digital, one of them is gonna be $399, this only reaffirms that to me.

Making me feel really confident that I'll at least be able to secure my own PS5 at launch and the other 2 that I'll need before Christmas.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Does increased production/demand mean they have more flexibility with the price?

Not necessarily. I think they either had Covid-19 related concerns with suppliers and their own workers and they now feel things are getting better. Or maybe they've figured out how to automate certain assembly processes.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember them saying they shipped 8 million PS4s in the same timeframe in the last article about this, and that 6-7million hinted at lower demand because of a higher pricepoint?
So.. does this indicate..they are pushing for more units this fiscal... because demand will be higher/ or as high as ps4 launch indicating we get atleast one of the sku's at $399?

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember them saying they shipped 8 million PS4s in the same timeframe in the last article about this, and that 6-7million hinted at lower demand because of a higher pricepoint?
So.. does this indicate..they are pushing for more units this fiscal... because demand will be higher/ or as high as ps4 launch indicating we get atleast one of the sku's at $399?
I think everyone is looking at the Switch and realizing people need entertainment during this crisis so why create a shortage situation. Their initial production goal would have been a deliberate cutting themselves off at the knees.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the percentages of the consoles produced are diskless vs disk. it'll be interesting to see which one has the most stock issues.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
I think everyone is looking at the Switch and realizing people need entertainment during this crisis so why create a shortage situation. Their initial production goal would have been a deliberate cutting themselves off at the knees.
Or they're just looking at the gaming industry in general probably, or hell, maybe even their own numbers.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
If I remember correctly, their original thought was that they'd ship 6 million because it'd cost higher and then reduce the price of the PS4 Pro and PS4.

That's why this might imply they may be going with a lower price on hardware.
yeah, I was thinking the same thing. No way they would be able to sell 10 mil if it was above 500

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
$299

maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Sony isn't stupid and make it $399.

Insane launch, momentum leading to even more sales, keep it at $399 for multiple years. Way better to eat a loss at the beginning and have a guaranteed successful launch than the opposite.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017

399 would be absolutely massive, They would however take a huge hit, especially at 10 million units sold. if the BOM is really at something like 470, including retail and all that would come close to a 100$ loss per console, so 1 billion loss on that front til march 21. Since they are in a comfortable market leader position this would seem like an absolutely crazy move to me.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm curious, do we have any stats on which console had the most sales in its first year? If they're already aiming higher than the PS4 in the same relative time frame then I wonder how it might stack up against all historical consoles once its first year is done.

Also, I'm very curious how many PS4's they're still gonna be making. Is this the year we get the fabled PS4 super slim, or is that a next year thing? I'm still banking on that sumbitch breaking the PS2's sales record. Now that Sony has jumped on the all digital console bandwagon I wonder if the potential super slim could have a digital variant as well to hit an even lower price point. I doubt the super slim would be all digital since physical sales are still pretty big, but it'd be interesting to see if they go the 2 SKU route there as well.

And on another note, if they're gonna be installing PS5 hardware in PS Now servers I wonder how much resources is being devoted towards that. That means components that could've made it into consoles would be used for the PS Now servers. Or... maybe they're planning to install the PS5 hardware in PS Now servers sometime after launch, and they're dedicating the components that would've gone towards PS Now to console production which is what this increase is based on? Hmmm, wonder if that's possibly what happened. Well, sometime in the next month or so I expect we'll get a better idea of their PS Now plans to know if PS5 support will be there for launch or not.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The interesting question would be the split between the digital version and the disk version? It must have been interesting to see how Sony answered this question.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
399 would be absolutely massive, They would however take a huge hit, especially at 10 million units sold. if the BOM is really at something like 470, including retail and all that would come close to a 100$ loss per console, so 1 billion loss on that front til march 21. Since they are in a comfortable market leader position this would seem like an absolutely crazy move to me.
1 billion isn't that much when you consider PSN has been making over 12 billion in revenue per year.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I know who has even passing interest in gaming wants one.
I generally hate preordering, but I will probably have to.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Just because they are able to make more doesn't mean the MSRP is going to be less. These will sell out if they are 399 or 499, doesn't matter.

Nov 21, 2017
The interesting question would be the split between the digital version and the disk version? It must have been interesting to see how Sony answered this question.

Considering the digital version will be cheaper and every customer who buys this model can only buy software directly from Sony where they get a bigger cut and most of SIE's money is made I'm expecting Sony to produce more digital editions. Perhaps production will be 55% Digital Edition 45% Disc version.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
1 billion isn't that much when you consider PSN has been making over 12 billion in revenue per year.
true, but these companies are still in the business to make money and it's still 1 billion and you are going to lose 1 billion for what exactly? How many units would you expect them to sell till march at 499? It's still going to be massive, I'd bet they would still sell 10 mil by march even at 499, but even if it's only at 8 million till march, you are paying 1 billion for 2 million additional units sold by march. Of course there are long term effects to be considered, though I'd argue this is a really tough sell to share holders

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
It's not gonna be 399 y'all. People way more into paying for gaming than they were with the ps3

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Surprised that they seem to be going full steam ahead, guess they don't think COVID-19 will be as big of a factor as originally thought (even though it's getting worse in what's arguably its biggest market?).

I say biggest considering the staggered PS4 launch, but given the consolidation of regions into one central branch, simultaneous worldwide release, and Jim Ryan at the helm (previously PS Europe) I'm guessing they're just focusing on the bigger picture.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
"As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks – probably our main task – is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before."
-Jim Ryan

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Very confident in those sales, perhaps the price isn't as high as many are expecting. There's no doubt the demand will be there, was just a potential $449-499 price point combined with pandemic that made me think it might be dampened somewhat.

That said, even with a mess of an economy, we'll all inevitably be in lockdown again in the Winter so new consoles could well be launching at a perfect time in that regard too.
Sony knows you don't need a lesser model, just go with one and give what people want.
Indeed, they only sell Pros these days.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Selling hardware at $500 is kind of unproven if you're Sony. And I don't actually think it's a guarantee that they'd sell out 10 million at $500. Whereas it seems like a no brainer at $400.
Times have changed, I'm sure around the PS3 era if companies tried to sell smart phones for $1000 people would have laughed and they would have bombed, yet people buy $1000 smart phones every 1-3 years these days without much complaint.

$500 for a console that lasts 7-8 years won't be a problem.

People are deluded if they think we are getting the tech that is in the next gen consoles for $400.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Best case scenario

Digital edition is 399

Normal is 499

Both would instantly sell out at their respective price points

Still, a hell of a loss per unit on the digital edition, could see the digital being 449 too

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know why people are assuming that it's going to be cheaper because they are able to make more.