• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
On the upside, think of how many people are now invested in this conversation, who wouldn't have been before, on their console-wars shit. It's like some warped twist on the Streisand effect, and there are plenty of us here willing to point out how wrong it is to blame Sony for this.

I mean that first post was quite something...i don't think I would've read more than the first page if it weren't for it like you say.

Anthem really brings some weird stuff out, just read about the xGladd ban...

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like Sony a bit but in this matter they are not guilty nor have any obligation at all. So it is good that they are refunding the game.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
The last game to lock my PS4 Pro up to the point where it had to be unplugged was Watch Dogs 2, and I haven't played it since. This needs to be fixed immediately, and rather than worrying about loot drops, BioWare needs to address this title's technical shortcomings across *all* platforms, and I say this as someone who actually enjoys the game.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Just spent a half hour on chat. They would not give me a refund. I'll try calling in tomorrow.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean that first post was quite something...i don't think I would've read more than the first page if it weren't for it like you say.

Anthem really brings some weird stuff out, just read about the xGladd ban...
Haha, saw that. This game is like some kinda twilight zone mirror of Fallout 76 in so many ways

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
NMS didn't crash consoles, it was simply a different game from what was advertised. They still offered refunds to everyone though.

No Man 's Sky Was freezing and crashing constantly the first couple weeks for many on PS4. The game caused more crashes and error messages than any game I had played before. Fortunately after a month or so it became much less common.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
If this is true I'm going to try and get a refund tomorrow. Anthem caused my PS4 to crash twice. Never had that happen before. I refuse to play it because I'm scared it'll mess up my console.

DGrade

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Contacted Sony but on chat but they told me to contact the publisher for and update of the game instead.... lol

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sigh. If they were initially giving refunds but are now declining refunds and instead passing the buck to EA, that is the same pattern as No Man's Sky. It was particularly bad in that case since Hello Games was a very small team already struggling to deal with a large scale backlash, at least EA have teams in place to deal with this type of thing.

Not sure why people are saying Sony are not responsible, when they are the retailer in this scenario. I agree that they cannot comprehensively test every game that they sell on PSN, but they can offer refunds when it turns out that a game that they sold does not function as advertised.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Sigh. If they were initially giving refunds but are now declining refunds and instead passing the buck to EA, that is the same pattern as No Man's Sky. It was particularly bad in that case since Hello Games was a very small team already struggling to deal with a large scale backlash, at least EA have teams in place to deal with this type of thing.

Not sure why people are saying Sony are not responsible, when they are the retailer in this scenario. I agree that they cannot comprehensively test every game that they sell on PSN, but they can offer refunds when it turns out that a game that they sold does not function as advertised.
People abuse it though. I asked earlier what this talk of bricking consoles was about, and I see no mentions of the game actually doing that. It seems to be one of those things that people say and then everyone repeats it? I guarantee there were people trying to get refunds after playing for 10 or 20 hours without any crashes. Same as NMS. I saw people posting that they had gotten full refunds after playing for 40 hours. Well clearly they were enjoying the game to have played for that long.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it shut down people's PC's and Xbox's as well? Crashes to desktop/dashboard aren't the same thing.
Right if it happens often enough to crash to the dashboard then I would say both parties bear responsibility. It's also possible during certification it didn't happen nearly enough for Sony to not certify the product. I don't know the certification process but I'm sure there is a threshold that must be met to certify.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
People abuse it though. I asked earlier what this talk of bricking consoles was about, and I see no mentions of the game actually doing that. It seems to be one of those things that people say and then everyone repeats it? I guarantee there were people trying to get refunds after playing for 10 or 20 hours without any crashes. Same as NMS. I saw people posting that they had gotten full refunds after playing for 40 hours. Well clearly they were enjoying the game to have played for that long.
Yeah this is why nobody buys games on Steam any more.

A reasonable standard refund policy increases sales, as people are willing to take a risk on games that they otherwise might not have.

You can easily set policies to prevent the type of abuse you are talking about.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC people were getting No Man's Sky refunded, but it was actually just something Sony will do for you once if you ask (on any game) and people were just burning up their one time refund on that. Am I mistaken? If not, I wonder if this is just the same thing.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right if it happens often enough to crash to the dashboard then I would say both parties bear responsibility. It's also possible during certification it didn't happen nearly enough for Sony to not certify the product. I don't know the certification process but I'm sure there is a threshold that must be met to certify.
Just to be clear I'm in no way defending games that crash on the consoles. Hard crashes are way more serious though and every single game that has them should be removed from the store until it's resolved.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to be clear I'm in no way defending games that crash on the consoles. Hard crashes are way more serious though and every single game that has them should be removed from the store until it's resolved.

I've had several hard crashes with Apex, but I certainly wouldn't want it removed from the store. The very rare crash doesn't take away from the dozens of hours of super fun non glitchy gameplay I've had from it. Granted it is F2P.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I have seen the game crash more to the menu than dahsboard. Either way, this could not have gone any worse for the game. And I want more games like it because it (should) make all the developers in the genre try to do better. *Cough cough* space flight in Destiny 3 Bungie!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If Sony is back peddling already that probably means this thread spread like wildfire and they got swamped with a bunch of refund requests and Sony just decided to stop giving them out.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is refusing the refund, and instead told me to contact EA

How is this fucking company still so backwards on such a basic policy

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Are you from the EU? US Sony doesn't issue refunds as a general rule.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I have this game on PS4. Is there a bricking bug? I hadn't heard of that, but now I'm concerned.

EDIT: If it's just a crash/need to reset, I'm less worried. That's still a super frustrating thing to happen, and one that's unfortunately more common in games than I would like.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you're trying to calculate how a multiplat game with reports of crashes across all platforms is Sony's fault

giphy.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
None of what I posted was EU specific.
How does Sony know who is abusing an offer like that? Let's say a game crashes frequently for 1 in 20 people, and 20 people ask for full refunds. How does Sony know which are trying to take advantage?

I still haven't seen any confirmation that even one person got a bricked console, yet tons of posts are talking about it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How does Sony know who is abusing an offer like that? Let's say a game crashes frequently for 1 in 20 people, and 20 people ask for full refunds. How does Sony know which are trying to take advantage?

I still haven't seen any confirmation that even one person got a bricked console, yet tons of posts are talking about it.
By checking the PS4 error logs?

They can also check how long a game has been played by checking the game logs.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
By checking the PS4 error logs?

They can also check how long a game has been played by checking the game logs.
If the user is online for that to be tracked, and if they choose to send the error logs, and if the service member has access to them. Also, what if the crash is from one specific bug and a patch is already coming in a few days, which the service member isn't aware of?

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Lol people claiming 20 hours with no crashes are full of shit.

Most of these crashes are server side. Not client side. Everyone that actually plays the game are getting the connection issues and crashes.

There is no offline portion if the game.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Lol people claiming 20 hours with no crashes are full of shit.

Most of these crashes are server side. Not client side. Everyone that actually plays the game are getting the connection issues and crashes.

There is no offline portion if the game.
I literally have not seen crashes. Not figuratively, literally. I've seen graphical issues, I've been stuck in missions cooperatively with objectives not advancing and have had certain trophies not unlock. It has not been a perfect experience. Here are my trophies in the game: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/8731-anthem/liammill18 . Please don't just accuse people of lying.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If the user is online for that to be tracked, and if they choose to send the error logs, and if the service member has access to them. Also, what if the crash is from one specific bug and a patch is already coming in a few days, which the service member isn't aware of?
Yes Sony should design a refund program by which you go online on your PS4 and upload error logs.

If they sold a defective product, customers should still be eligible for refunds. Purchases made after the patch has shipped would not be eligible for refunds related to that bug.

But yes in general I would support: No questions asked refunds within a reasonable time window (much like how the Steam policy is implemented), and refunds outside of this window when a user is able to provide error logs demonstrating that a game does not function as advertised.

I believe such policies would generate more revenue for the Playstation store, and increase customer satisfaction.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
So I tried to get a refund and I got this from Sony:

"I was reviewing your request and let me tell you the following. I understand the fact of you not wanting the game anymore, most likely during the time past you were regretting the decision. However, by trying to get this game reversed, I noticed that the game has been downloaded and plenty played, and once that happens, there is not an option to get this reversed. Keep in mind that all sales are considered as final, but the game is now under the full management of the game developer's servers only."

I loved flying around too damn much and it cost me.
This is why I'm wondering if this is just some sort of half-BS rumor. You aren't the only person I've seen try to get this refund and be refused.

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went to System > Error History > My last 2 Hardlocks

gUKpjSQl.jpg

I even had to turn of HDR cause it was poorly showing up on my screen, all blurry and washed out
Yet during closed alpha and beta was in pristine condition with the visuals