• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
tenor.gif

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I remember the hate Nintendo got when they went against the leaker of Sword and Shield and Sony is getting praised. It´s kinda funny.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You'd deprive someone of their freedom for stealing company IP and potentially damaging a product launch? Whatever emotional attachment you've formed to this game, it would never justify such an OTT punishment. You'd be laughed out of court lobbying for that, assuming there was enough to go to trial and instead not just opt for civil damages.
While the surface read you are portraying is that all they did was spoil a games story, when you break it down they potentially damaged the potential of the games sales which in turn could affect the jobs for hundreds of developers.

I'm all for calling out games for being bad or calling out companies for toxic cultures and work practices but it also isn't right to do something like this.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
That situation would never happen.
You're saying that as if that is something Sony would do. "Oh you don't want to sign? Ok no worries, here go debug the game we expect to sell 10 million copies of this year"

I know it wouldn't happen in real world.

Just addressing post that said it would be illegal for 3rd party to access TLOU 2 material if they didn't sign NDA. Sure it depends on how they were given that access, but it isn't automatically in illegal territory.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Boy, they need to get these investigation tactics employed for finding out their customer's data breaches aswell.

Lightning speed.

Imagine trying to talk criminalty right, which leaded as follew up that the alt right uses to harres devs. Which doesn't make any of you guys better than the average 4chan poster. If you feel so much this way, why not directly show who you guys are and post nazi meme's like on 4chan.
Another spicy take.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Lol i really wanna know how much they gotta pay up for this. Such a massively dumb thing for them to do and get caught 😂

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
While the surface read you are portraying is that all they did was spoil a games story, when you break it down they potentially damaged the potential of the games sales which in turn could affect the jobs for hundreds of developers.

I'm all for calling out games for being bad or calling out companies for toxic cultures and work practices but it also isn't right to do something like this.
Yea, this isn't fair to the entire team that has worked their asses off years for this.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Breach of protected computer systems is a crime. There's also the suing part which they can just sue them.
Due to WFH, we have no idea if this happened either. Could've been a careless mistake on keeping files open.

Also hackers hit companies all the time and almost never worth their time to sue them. Most are in countries with no jurisdiction for the company or ability to collect on top of that. If it was someone under 18, they are basically immune. The actual hacker may not have any assets. I could go on...

Bottom line is Sony will have to learn lessons from this to prevent in the future and move on.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
There's a difference between acknowledging the consequences of one's actions and actively gaining pleasure through mob revelry and shouting from the roof that you hope for the most dire outcome possible.

This shouldn't require further explanation because it's dead simple.
It is very simple.
It's also very simple that because of his actions from devs to fans being harrassed.
Let me show a gem that was sent to me from a bigot after this person leaked the game.
Screenshot_2.jpg

That person (that I assume is an adult) acted in a way that would get in trouble, and will pay the consequences from his own actions.
Hope that person learns from it.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unless they are getting bonuses, I wouldn't think devs are getting anything substantially more as a result of sales.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I know it wouldn't happen in real world.

Just addressing post that said it would be illegal for 3rd party to access TLOU 2 material if they didn't sign NDA. Sure it depends on how they were given that access, but it isn't automatically in illegal territory.

Either someone under NDA gave someone else access or someone stole the data. Either way, somebody is getting sued royally

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine trying to talk criminalty right, which leaded as follew up that the alt right uses to harres devs. Which doesn't make any of you guys better than the average 4chan poster. If you feel so much this way, why not directly show who you guys are and post nazi meme's like on 4chan.

What language is this?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020

Yes, it will damage sales, but come on. It will not affect the jobs of hundreds of developers! Maybe instead of selling 20m copies it'll sell 18m. No one should lose their job for that. I could see ND or Sony making an excuse for layoffs, but it's BS. It'll still be a huge success and make a lot of money.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

You might want to chill, dude.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It all depends on how they got the info. If they hacked into Sony servers and stole it then they should be punished, but if someone handed the the info and they just shared it, them Sony should leave them alone.
Technically wasn't hacked as there was no authentication to the server past some stuff that the games gave to everyone who launched any ND game.
So if they're not internal how did they access to the material they leaked?
Hacked dev kits and networks?

Naughty Dog will take the blame on this one. Piss poor server management lol.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
People are actually calling others Nazis just because they don't want this guy to go to jail.

Jesus fucking Christ some of you need to stop worshipping your favorite companies as deities that you have to give your life for and smite any who goes against them.

Childish and sad doesn't come close to describing it.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I hope whatever fine they receive is significant but not financially ruinous. That would be too far imo
Aaand this thread goes on ignore. Wtf kind of take is that

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Due to WFH, we have no idea if this happened either. Could've been a careless mistake on keeping files open.

Also hackers hit companies all the time and almost never worth their time to sue them. Most are in countries with no jurisdiction for the company or ability to collect on top of that. If it was someone under 18, they are basically immune. The actual hacker may not have any assets. I could go on...

Bottom line is Sony will have to learn lessons from this to prevent in the future and move on.

They identified the individuals. This isn't some random third world hacker. It's in the headline mate.

Also, this is not some "I left this out and now the game is spoiled" moment. Someone was intentionally looking. Unless the files were quite literally uploaded to a public repo, there is a breach somewhere.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
It is very simple.
It's also very simple that because of his actions from devs to fans being harrassed.
Let me show a gem that was sent to me from a bigot after this person leaked the game.
Screenshot_2.jpg

That person (that I assume is an adult) acted in a way that would get in trouble, and will pay the consequences from his own actions.

JFC, that is a horrible tweet. I am sorry you received that.

And on that topic, I've read a lot of tweets about people being mad that TLOU2 is total "sjw shit" :/

Someone here made thread with appearance of TLOU 2 spoilers and toxicity of spoiler culture like that.

Then proceeded to have open TLOU 2 spoilers in opening post.

A lot people got burned.

Oh I saw that! But when I clicked, it was gone. I assumed it was merged with another thread, but didn't know it was a bait thread

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
educated guess? It's most likely someone who was part of the manufacturing or distribution chain
Nope. It was literally not at all anyone related to any part of that chain.
Also, this is not some "I left this out and now the game is spoiled" moment. Someone was intentionally looking. Unless the files were quite literally uploaded to a public repo, there is a breach somewhere.
Technically public.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It is very simple.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Yikes. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Can't even imagine Neil twitter since the first reveal.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017

What the fuck are you even talking about?

It is very simple.
Screenshot_2.jpg

This isn't an argument. You're still ignoring the entire premise of my point which pertains not to the nature of consequences but the manner in which they're being gleefully salivated over.

I also think it's disingenuous to hold someone accountable for what others have done in the wake of their actions. One person made that tweet, and it wasn't the leaker. How about you hold the actual person responsible for that accountable instead?

I'm sorry you faced that harassment but I don't think putting the blame on the leaker is appropriate in that instance.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
So were they 3rd party contractors?? Heard that during crunch time they hire 3rd party contractors to help them meet the deadline and than move on. I'm assuming it was someone 3rd party that leaked it and not a hacker. The narrative could still be true of a disgruntled "worker"

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Well this sites enables leaks and promotes them (being commented continuously to be on top) but some of these takes are weird. Also if it was a "security breach" how long till other games are leaked.

p.s I would love a Halo Infinite mp screen or video. I am weak