chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pissed about what Sony's done here (and you can look back at my comments in this thread if you want) but I don't see how yelling at certain people in this thread is going to fix that. Debating whether PS+ cards fit the legal definition of "gift card" in Michigan is not the same thing as defending Sony and everyone here would have an interest in getting the CORRECT information because it makes the difference between potentially seeking recompense from your local government or not. Your local regulatory office isn't going to take to people screaming "YOU'RE A SONY FANBOY" at them any more charitably. I've been looking up the same in my own jurisdiction and it's also not clear to me that PS+ cards qualify as gift cards or prepaid cards the way my jurisdiction has defined them. (The argument about them becoming more cash-equivalent with recent changes offering equivalency depending on your subscription tier does actually impact this, but the laws aren't written with this specific case in mind so I don't know.)

Focus your attention on Sony being assholes and figuring out if there actually is a legal recourse here, not just assuming there is.

Ostrava

Jul 31, 2021
Belgium
Still catching up on updates, but if I have multiple years of Plus already, never had Now, not have one 1-month Now card and possibly a second if it goes through. There's a chance this might still work out?

I'd be reluctant to try to redeem both 1-months in case they block redemption of the second. I should probably wait until June to redeem just one month, but I'm too afraid they'll clamp down further. Hm...

I stacked two now cards because I managed to find some quite cheap. It should work for you too.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
But they did lose value. As is, because I have PS Now for a few month (and never intended to keep it long term) and Ps Plus, I am locked in for 2 year at Premium. That means that if I want to downgrade to Essential to get the full 12 month of my PS Plus 12 month cards, I have to wait 2 years to redeem (when my subscription expire). Until that time, I have no access to those funds and they are fully vulnerable to code hackers with no protection if this happens. Those can't be refunded and cannot be used. I was not gonna subcribe to premium for years until they explained the upgrade path.

So my choice are:
-Take the risk and wait 2 years and renew at Essential and criss my finger they were not stolen.
-Been forced to subcribe to the premium level and lose half the time on my 12 months cards.

As many, I would not have both a few years of cards had I known they would not allow be to use them. They have changed there Term of Service and blocked redeeming the cards BEFORE they changed TOS.
Yup, stuck in the exact same loop, i purchased the cards back in november but only activated with the retailer them this month, can't stack them and I'm being forced onto premium because of the now sub i have. So I am SOL with the cards.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Sony will always do well because they are Sony and they make great games, but I am so done with this nonsense. Now I'm glad I couldn't find a PS5. I love Sony's exclusives but I will just wait for them to come to PC. This might be the 1st generation that I don't own one of their consoles. Spartacus wasn't that compelling to me to begin with.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I'm just anxiously awaiting to see if my Rewards order comes through and am paranoid they'll further alter the deal before I get a chance to try.
Just an fyi my brother said he never got an email with his code. But if you use the rewards app you can check your points activity and it should have the code listed in the reward.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
As others have said too you would think they would enjoy the idea of people being locked into their ecosystem for many years even if they are getting a discount.

honestly though. Sony are going through all this PR shit just to avoid having people lock themselves into their ecosystem for 5-10 years. insane.

EDIT: Literally the only reason i'm on Gamepass is because of the 1$ Gold conversion trick...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that Sony goes so hard out of their way to do this.

Initially I thought about using this trick but then it turns out getting PSNOW codes isn't even that simple anymore. So how many people will even make use of this? Keeping people from redeeming codes is such a drastic measure.

Megapighead

May 2, 2018
So if I stacked 10 years of PSNow a few weeks ago in anticipation of PS Plus Premium, I should be locked in and ready to go right? This news doesn't impact that?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I meant. If you have gpu already and use a gold card it's not 1:1… I think they may have let you?

There is a conversion rate but if you let your GPU expire you can resub on the same day using the offer to convert up to 3 years of Gold to GPU (only that after the first time you don't pay $1 for the GP conversion but 14.99 - a month of GP).

It is truly not understandable why Sony is doing this mess. Even at 50% off a ton of companies would kill to have that costumer base tied to your ecosystem for so long.

Those mess ups ate Xbox One Kinect levels of bad, they are undoing everything they did with PS4.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
honestly though. Sony are going through all this PR shit just to avoid having people lock themselves into their ecosystem for 5-10 years. insane.

EDIT: Literally the only reason i'm on Gamepass is because of the 1$ Gold conversion trick...
It's what got me locked in to Xbox as my primary system as well this gen. Great benefit

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
If you really think a multi-billion dollar corporation that's been in the gaming business for 30 years forgot that people can stack codes
They didn't forget, they just didn't anticipate people would take advantage of it in the way they did, which is a huge cut in their new plans before they're even rolled out.

Microsoft can do it because they can take the loss. Sony should do it, should match their competition, and people should harp and blast them for not doing so, but whining about a loophole stack being closed that they aren't clearly advertising isn't it.

But they did lose value. As is, because I have PS Now for a few month (and never intended to keep it long term) and Ps Plus, I am locked in for 2 year at Premium.
Not understanding your situation. You have PS Plus (for how long?), a few months of PSNow so you'll make it to the conversion checkpoint, and then… what is the situation?

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
What an absolute bungle. It's made doubly worse by the folks who can't help but defend Sony in every little way. People wouldn't have spent money on codes if Sony had announced on the *same* day that they're disabling stacking. It's all on the company. Words like "Loophole" or "trick" don't apply here; it's how the system worked and they kept the change to themselves. Fuckin clowns.

TheCommonDan

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day Sony fucked up with the timings of their updates. Tell us you can't stack 4 days ago and none of this shit happens.
It's either incompetence or deception at this point, pick your poison.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
They didn't forget, they just didn't anticipate people would take advantage of it in the way they did, which is a huge cut in their new plans before they're even rolled out.

Microsoft can do it because they can take the loss. Sony should do it, should match their competition, and people should harp and blast them for not doing so, but whining about a loophole stack being closed that they aren't clearly advertising isn't it.

Not understanding your situation. You have PS Plus (for how long?), a few months of PSNow so you'll make it to the conversion checkpoint, and then… what is the situation?
If I redeem my cards when the reopen the option in June, I will get 6 month extension on the Premium level.
I don't have the option to dowgrade to Essential. So If I want to get 12 month membership (I was never gonna pay double to have 12 month member, I would have stayed at Essential), I have to wait until my Premium expire in 2 years. Until then I cannot redeem my codes.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
Sony is so incompetent compared to MS when it comes to a lot of basic things, it's astounding considering how much they do get right

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry if I came of unpolite. I appreciate your posts. I still disagree this time though, because Spencer himself said Xbox is profitable a year ago (iirc). Also ABK isn't purchased yet.

If I have a obsession, then it's about arguing with people defending decision such as the PS+ block. So I dunno what acquisition have anything to do with the point of mine, essentially saying Xbox isn't loosing so much money with the GPU trick that they need to be a trillion dollar company. Hence me pointing out Xbox is profitable according to Spencer, which means Xbox revenue is enough to take the hit of the trick.

Sony if they were willing to take the hit and benefit from happy consumers, could very much do so. They aren't MS, but they're very rich still and very successful.
Ok.
The money would worth less if it sat on a bank account earning 0.05% interest rate with the inflation.

IP holds their value better, Minecraft taught them that back then when they paid 2 billion.
That's an argument for why it may be a good investment, that doesn't make it not an investment far beyond what Xbox makes.

But whatever, this is as off topic. Like I said, this whole thing has been horribly mismanaged by Sony and it's not really defendable.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Its still wild to me that people que'd up a year+ of this service without even knowing what is even going to be on it yet.
I mean, to the people who were able to do it optimally, it doesn't matter at all what is on the new service - they paid only what is needed to play games online and locked in that price for many years. They might get screwed over if at some point online play goes free (and the service otherwise is worthless), but I should think you can make a good guess at the chances of that happening...

rustyra24

Jul 6, 2018
This will blow over just like the generations talk, free upgrades and the stupid HZD prices. It probably won't phase them. The only thing hurting them currently is lack of production.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
You want to really punish Sony? Buy used physical copies of their exclusives. Don't even buy their games digitally. They won't be getting a penny off of you then.

There you go!

As long as you dont shift your spending to another platform, dont think it will make much of an impact. Even Apple only improved things like its camera when folks started switching to Samsung.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I mean, to the people who were able to do it optimally, it doesn't matter at all what is on the new service - they paid only what is needed to play games online and locked in that price for many years. They might get screwed over if at some point online play goes free (and the service otherwise is worthless), but I should think you can make a good guess at the chances of that happening...
If PlayStation Plus 2 goes the way of PlayStation Now and gets a 50% price cut at any point before 2032, the 4D Chess players who bought up a decade worth of codes will have lost everything from that point forward.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you dont shift your spending to another platform, dont think it will make much of an impact. Even Apple only improved things like its camera when folks started switching to Samsung.
Yeah this is going to hurt the devs more than Sony. Every time you purchase any game for the playstation they get money, any time you buy anything from the ps store dlc etc. they get money. So the only way to actually hurt them would be to switch to xbox or pc.But even that would take years before they actually take notice IF it happened in large enough numbers.

This is 100% going to blow over though most consumers don't have the will to make a stand , let alone the attention span to remain angry about the same thing. Sony did backpedal with Horizon, but i doubt they will with this. There's way too many people okay with the shit they're pulling. Have a look at the reddit threads.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
If PlayStation Plus 2 goes the way of PlayStation Now and gets a 50% price cut at any point before 2032, the 4D Chess players who bought up a decade worth of codes will have lost everything from that point forward.
Not necessarily. I bought ps plus until 2032 because I figured the price would only increase over time and I got codes for $25. Did Playstation now ever get that deep of a price cut?

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Not necessarily. I bought ps plus until 2032 because I figured the price would only increase over time and I got codes for $25. Did Playstation now ever get that deep of a price cut?
Yes. It launched at $99.99/year, got a permanent price cut to $59.99/year, and was available for less than that during sales. You got codes for a $50 service for $25. First time Plus 2 goes half off all this stacked value disappears.

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
This is amusing in a sad kind of way.

People bought a bunch of prepaid cards that they can't redeem. People arguing that it's a corporation and what did you expect.

Truly glad to be on the sidelines for this one.

GetDigitized

Oct 25, 2017
Only if Sony doesn't change the conversion rate or lower the price of Plus 2 within 10 years.
They can't lower the conversion rate for now without splitting the streaming to a lower tier, that's the only reason now gets premium as its locked behind the premium tier. Otherwise they open themselves up to a lawsuit as the people paid for a year of streaming games, them changing how their service works is different.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
I've tried to follow this as much as I can, and while I can say I'm not affected in any way and don't quite understand it all. I do see that there is some people out there that feel quite hard done by.
So not sure if this has been mentioned, but if if you are an Aussie please check your rights as a consumer and make a report to the ACCC esp if you can not get a refund

www.accc.gov.au

Contact us or report an issue

You can contact us to report where a business is doing something it shouldn't, to help us understand what market issues are causing the most harm.

They are a gov body, but they need the complaints to act.

No company's "policy" can overwrite their obligations under the ACL. It is the reason they took Valve on and won.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fuck up from Sony, sort it out man. Microsoft allowed the gold conversion workaround for ages

I have the basic PS subscription and don't see myself ever going for beyong the new basic subscription but this is a very bad look for them atm.

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
The post here with that information is missing some context. That part is for if you redeem your code AFTER the service launches. Then you get into conversion territory.

If you redeem it before the service launches, and you already have PS+, you will still get Premium for whichever ends later of the two subscriptions. It's all still there on the site.
I still don't believe this is what will happen. Given how stingy and penny pinching Sony is being, someone with PSNow through August 2022 and PS+ through 2032 will have their PS+ Premium downgraded to PS+ Essential when the PSNow subscription ends in August 2022, is my bet. The way they worded it isn't clear enough where they can't do that. All they promise is that at the end of both memberships, they will let the owner know how much their next bill is, not which tier they will be on.

uuddrlrl

May 30, 2021
I still don't believe this is what will happen. Given how stingy and penny pinching Sony is being, someone with PSNow through August 2022 and PS+ through 2032 will have their PS+ Premium downgraded to PS+ Essential when the PSNow subscription ends in August 2022, is my bet. The way they worded it isn't clear enough where they can't do that. All they promise is that at the end of both memberships, they will let the owner know how much their next bill is, not which tier they will be on.
I'm also one of the few who believes that Sony worded their FAQ to be able to do exactly that. PS Premium for PS Now, then PS Essential for the remainder of the time (PS+).