• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
So how is the platform with the worst performance, visuals, and input the "best" place to play Fortnite? PC has the best performance, visuals, and input followed by Xbox and then PlayStation.

Arrogance is one thing, but to flat out lie while doing so is downright laughable. What a garbage comment. I don't strictly align with either MS or Sony as I mostly play on PC now, but I did own both systems. I'm glad I sold my PS4 a few months ago when this whole thing blew up about Sony locking players into their ecosystem. I really wanted to enjoy Spiderman, but Sony's whole stance on this completely soured me on them and I won't be touching the PS5 until they change their tune.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Surely all Sony have to do to win is enable cross play and then point out Fortnight is entirely FREE on PS4 (no online sub required) and shout about how you can play with Xbox friends who actually have to pay?

Maybe flash drop the base PS4 price with a bundled code for a short time when they make the announcement so it's also cheaper than the One S on the shelf at that exact point?

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony wins this round. Not enough people care for anything to change and they know it.

They're being arrogant, and one of the more infuriating aspects of it for me is that they get to get away with it even in my own house because my wife and kids frankly dont care at all about this. It just doesnt effect them and so they dont care. So they keep buying their V-bucks on PSN and arrogant Sony gets exactly what they wanted. Congrats to you Sony.

Edit: To be clear I am furious about the Fortnite account lock. I dont care about cross play. That is and should be up to Sony.

Last edited:

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
I for one am looking forward to Microsoft dominating the next gen and then for Sony's attitude to shift. Again...

I don't really care who dominates but I have enjoyed playing fortnite with my 2 boys across Xbox Switch and PC and it'll 100% be something I take into consideration when I purchase my next gen systems.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They want to keep the mentality from casual players of "we all have to buy PS to play together", and they don't see PC and Mobile as direct competitors.

In terms of sales this is no a huge deal for now cause cross play is still a relatively new thing, but the behaviour is what really concerns me.

Sony doesn't understand that each gen is like a reboot, you have to earn the trust of consumers again, and acting this arrogant won't do them any favour.

I believe they are saving this (and backward compatible) as an ammo for PS5. They will announce cross-play coming to PS5 as a new feature, people's going to clap and helm them as a hero

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
As of this gen, it's true what this man says, if you care about multiplayer on consoles. The chances of your friends being on PSN are higher, than your friends being on XBL or Nintendo Network and that makes it factually the best place to play multiplayer games.
As of all this "anti-consumer" gibberish, this anti-consumer-bullshit that MS was trying to pull on us with their initial idea of the Xbox One is what gave Sony the power that allows them not to open their system for crossplay today. Calling it arrogance is just fat-headed, it's just business. And I guarantee you, in case MS will take the lead next gen again, they will do a lot more anti-consumer shit than you even could imagine. All companies are greedy, that's how it works, but MS has the history of being one of the greedies one. They are not your friends, crossplay is not a gift.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Geez, the actual CEO said that ? I thought it was that dumbass Jim Ryan.

Embarrassing. They should really apply a no comment policy instead of digging that hole with stupid statements like these.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As of this gen, it's true what this man says, if you care about multiplayer on consoles. The chances of your friends being on PSN are higher, than your friends being on XBL or Nintendo Network and that makes it factually the best place to play multiplayer games.
As of all this "anti-consumer" gibberish, this anti-consumer-bullshit that MS was trying to pull on us with their initial idea of the Xbox One is what gave Sony the power that allows them not to open their system for crossplay today. Calling it arrogance is just fat-headed, it's just business. And I guarantee you, in case MS will take the lead next gen again, they will do a lot more anti-consumer shit than you even could imagine. All companies are greedy, that's how it works, but MS has the history of being one of the greedies one. They are not your friends, crossplay is not a gift.

There's no need to defend Sony with a hypothetical scenario. We are living in this timeline where its Sony who is doing this, not Nintendo or Microsoft. If Nintendo or Microsoft does that we'll shit on them by then

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
That definitely feels like it's next.

"It's not fair to the consumer that I have to buy a different box to play games on just because the platform holder doesn't want the games they pay for on other platforms. Blu rays and DVDs never worked like this."

We already see people begging Microsoft to let Master Chief or Banjo or Steve from Minecraft into Smash. It's only a matter of time before it's unfair that Death Stranding is only on PlayStation.

I mean it's already happening with spiderman. It has since it was revealed, but especially the last few weeks, and puddle gate.

What is with you guys and derailing the topic? What does exclusives have to do with cross-play again? Would you mind explaining? Or did you guys just want to paint people here with a broad stroke so you can invalidate their opinions? Putting a character in Smash is also the same as begging for first-party exclusives on other platforms? That's an even worse example to use when Phil Spencer is personally in support of Banjo in Smash. Nevertheless, it's irrelevant to the topic. Furthermore, Spider-Man is a licensed IP, so it makes sense people complain about it. It's not like they have to choose Sony in the first place, so people are just lamenting the fact that it was made into exclusive when it wasn't necessary. Don't even bother with the "it can only exist because of Sony" conversation. Been there and done that in another thread. The point is that it's a "licensed" IP. You two are just making shitloads of false equivalences right now.

Knock it off if you got nothing else to add. If you and others simply want to say that the complaints are from a vocal minority, then you can start another topic discussing the statistics. This topic isn't about how many care. Why waste time seeking to cherry pick, stereotype, and dismiss the opinions of others here? Such mundane actions.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe they are saving this (and backward compatible) as an ammo for PS5. They will announce cross-play coming to PS5 as a new feature, people's going to clap and helm them as a hero

Having to buy a PS4 to play with your friends is worth more to Sony than you think. Certainly much more than any applause at some event or a PR push. Truth be told, as anti gamer as this policy is, they corned 95% of the EU market by keeping this policy in place. Check any pal chart thread and you'll quickly discover that spotting an XB exclusive or multiplat selling well enough to chart is an extremely rare occurrence once you leave the UK market. And even in the UK, on average, Sony takes 70-75 of sales on multiplats.

Having to buy a PS4 to play with PS4 gamers isn't part of the purchasing equation that Sony is prepared to lose.

DOMO GYU

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
There's no need to defend Sony with a hypothetical scenario. We are living in this timeline where its Sony who is doing this, not Nintendo or Microsoft. If Nintendo or Microsoft does that we'll shit on them by then

I'm not defending Sony, I don't own either a Sony nor a Microsoft console and I couldn't care less. It just bothers me how people use the word "arrogant". Calling Sony arrogant is the same a calling a developer "lazy", and that actually gives you at least a warning here on the forums.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This whole "arrogant Sony" meme is ridiculous. "Arrogant" in gaming is saying to buy our old console if you don't have good internet, its saying get a second job to afford our console, its demanding third parties make ridiculous concessions to have their games on the console.

This isn't arrogance, this is common sense.

And frankly the "arrogant" argument is on the same level as the "lazy devs" argument.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
If Sony doesn't want to that people play together with cross play they can at least enable/support cross progression which is the bigger issue with Fortnite. That restriction is the silliest of it all!

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This whole "arrogant Sony" meme is ridiculous. "Arrogant" in gaming is saying to buy our old console if you don't have good internet, its saying get a second job to afford our console, its demanding third parties make ridiculous concessions to have their games on the console.

And frankly the "arrogant" argument is on the same level as the "lazy devs" argument.

This. Make your argument as to why this is bullshit, but just calling them arrogant is on the same level as calling them lazy.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending Sony, I don't own either a Sony nor a Microsoft console and I couldn't care less. It just bothers me how people use the word "arrogant". Calling Sony arrogant is the same a calling a developer "lazy", and that actually gives you at least a warning here on the forums.
That's because the "Lazy Devs" argument trivializes the hard work done by dozens to hundreds of developers and people largely ignore any hurdles, issues, or design choices that may have had to take shape to deliver a functioning or marketable product. It's just a quick dismissal to feel self satisfied about your disappointment in something. Arrogance is far more surface level and should rightly be called out because it's purely an attitude thing that leads to bad practices. Microsoft initially trying to stop used games on the Xbox One was an arrogant move that they paid the price for. Saying that people will get second jobs to afford the "five hundred and ninenty-nine US dollar" launch PS3 was an arrogant move that Sony had to spend the whole generation recovering from. Nintendo having a death grip on all third parties in the NES era was an arrogant move and this eventually led them into the arms of Sega and Sony.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I had to sell my PS4 when I was saving for my house but I've been wanting to jump back in and buy a pro since we got our new TV, and because stuff like Spiderman is coming out...

... This kind of attitude makes me more interested in things like Xbox All Access.

This is definitely something I want next generation. They're in a position of power now, they don't have to back down, but the starting gun of a new generation is a good time for lots of people to change it up. I hope they remember how fickle and punishing this market can be. PS3 wasn't that long ago.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

It's pure unadulterated arrogance, up there with the best of them. Notice how they've never even once addressed the fact they block your account from working on another platform simply for having used the game on their platform? They could not possibly care less about this issue.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
PS4 too, you know! Why you DELIBERATELY ignoring PS4?
Comparatively, PS4 is slowly approaching the end of its life, its biggest sellers have already released. Switch has this momentum, yet Smash, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon aren't out yet. This is not to dismiss PS4, but Switch will almost assuredly outsell it this Holiday season and forward.

edryr

Banned
Feb 15, 2018

Thanks. Either MS or sony aren't here for you. They are just here to make more money. And MS has the history of being by far the worst in gaming industry.
The main problem with this whole story if locking your epic account to your psn account. That's the part that is disgusting. But on a business pov, that's by far the best choice. And people tend to forget, but you don't need ps+ to play fortnite in ps4 where you need to be gold on one. Speak about milking consumers...

leehom

Nov 30, 2017
Don't see what the problem is. Microsoft says similar things using different words and their fan base eats it up.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Comparatively, PS4 is slowly approaching the end of its life, its biggest sellers have already released. Switch has this momentum, yet Smash, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon aren't out yet. This is not to dismiss PS4, but Switch will almost assuredly outsell it this Holiday season and forward.

PS4's biggest sellers are yet to come. TLOU2, Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima,...etc.

If he only said best selling, I may agree but just best? Arrogant Sony is back.

Now console manufacturer's can't call their console the best? That's just how marketing works. Not arrogance.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sure all companies are greedy and try to squeeze every dime out of you for business purpose. But me as a consumer have a right to complain when I think they're doing something shitty and that's what I do here.
What's so hard to understand that I want every player to play with anyone?
Plus I'm a bit angry that I had to throw away my 250 dollar Fortnite account just to play on Switch.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure all companies are greedy and try to squeeze every dime out of you for business purpose. But me as a consumer have a right to complain when I think they're doing something shitty and that's what I do here.
What's so hard to understand that I want every player to play with anyone?
Plus I'm a bit angry that I had to throw away my 250 dollar Fortnite account just to play on Switch.
Fully agreed, thank god i read about that forrnite stuff cuz without era i would have logged into my acc on ps4.

Fortnite is switch/mobile only for me cuz of that very reason. Still such a ridiculous thing to lock out your account and purchases.

Edit: and true i am a huge sony/nintendo fan but shitty business decisions are always shitty and defending a company always seemed silly to me.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

I feel like they would have stayed quiet with the usual PR statements "we are working on it, not a priority at this moment,..." to then announce it on PS5, while here it seems like they don't wan't to give up on the idea of forcing consumers of buying their console to play together, because it could be used as a selling point next gen.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If Sony doesn't want to that people play together with cross play they can at least enable/support cross progression which is the bigger issue with Fortnite. That restriction is the silliest of it all!

I agree with you. Crossplay would be nice, but it's not the pressing option (yet). I feel that cross-progression has been mixed up with general cross-play; cross-progression is the biggest issue right now.

If that can be solved, if Sony agrees to let one account be used across any platform, then we go from there.

Them not agreeing to crossplay sucks, but one can generally live with it and go on. Locking my account to one platform? That's anti-consumer.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Sounds like a typical business thing to do (i.e. why having strong competition is the only reason to really change anything currently).

Hope their attitude towards BC and crossplay change with PS5. Strategically, a good point to market said features.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017

That was happening last year to, but then $199 PS4 happened.

You're definitely dismissing it, and at a time when Red Dead Redemption 2 is arriving, along with Spider-Man, DQ11, and many others.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That was happening last year to, but then $199 PS4 happened.

You're definitely dismissing it, and at a time when Red Dead Redemption 2 is arriving, along with Spider-Man, DQ11, and many others.
I think DQ11 is a virtual non-factor. The series performed somewhat well on PS2 and DS, but was never a big mover. RDR2 is on two platforms. That just leaves Spider-Man, which I do think will be quite big, but not necessarily bigger than the titles I mentioned.

RunJumpStomp

Aug 12, 2018
I said it in the other thread. I don't care about cross platform play, I just want my account unlocked. They stole my account, and I want it back.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox didn't allow it last gen.
Sony's not allowing it this gen.

I think they're just being petty. Times are different.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Yeah like that, the username is actually the primary key whereas other platforms use a random integer as the primary key and allow a different public facing name. That's exactly what he explained to me the PSN was like.

If you're a Dev could you shed some light on these two questions for me?

A) Why make that initial decision, is it that for such a large scale database like the PSN it is easier to build and maintain? Like it was quicker, a rush job? Or is there no logical reason to use that type of database and it was a massive oversight?

B) How feasible is it for this to change? Is it literally impossible for the database to convert over, or is it possible to do but would require such a large overhaul that isn't feasible for a 'Live Service' this large? Or is it actually very doable to achieve without an outage?

Thanks!
A) I guess it was just a bad Database Design decision to use the actual PSN Username as the primary ID. Or they probably never wanted in the first place that PSN User are able to change their usernames.

B) Everything is possible, you just need to put the effort in it to make the necessary changes to the Database Design. It would probably cost alot of time, money and work!

Last edited: