• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
You think only privileged people are gamers in 2020 ? lol
Maybe I shouldn't have said only and been more specific but I do think a certain level of privilege is needed for gaming, and I do think that this privilege is reflected in how large parts of the "gaming community" operate.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I really do appreciate what Sony is doing on Twitter, but I feel, as a major corporation, they can do much more. They can wield some of that capitalist influence to help change laws and help making police become accountable. I like what I'm seeing, but I don't feel it's fundamentally enough.

Oct 27, 2017
While my heart aches for what is happening in America at the moment (and has done for many years) some of you need to remember that America is not the entire world.

While America is an important market, Sony are not an American company (unlike Google, EA and Microsoft).

It's a sad fact that injustices as bad or worse than what is happening in America occur daily everywhere in the world, unfortunately many of those places do not have the freedom of the press to give their issues a voice. Slightly off-topic I know, and not intended to detract from the horrible oppression of minorities in the US - but some context when people are comparing this to COVID-19 which actually IS a global disaster.

Enjoy being on the wrong side of history.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's historic alright. I'm black and I think this had crossed from protest to terrorism.

C'mon. This is big. This isn't some singular event that led to this. You know this. If things continue how they have, police brutality is going to keep happening. Americans, especially Black folks, are going to keep getting killed. They've tried peaceful protests, they've tried other methods, at this point what's left?

How can you say its terrorism? :/ People are just fighting to get equality. They are tired of seeing other Americans getting killed or shot at just because of their skin color. They are tired of being oppressed. They are tired of being killed openly and nothing happening.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
In a gaming community rife with racism at the fringes and everyday for a lot of people playing online games this a bold and welcomed response.

Well done Sony.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they should should delay. Have a segment about what is going on at the beginning of the video before the digital event starts. I think that would be good

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Their PR statements were standard PR statements, but got to admit that their responses have been great and pretty fast too, which gives the impression that someone at Sonys PR team actually believes in this.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
A real chalk statement. What specifically is Sony doing to aid in the situation?

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
So, so happy to see Sony and Microsoft take a stand. Whoever's running Sony's account in particular is doing a really great job addressing the ignorance in the replies.

Oct 25, 2017
Great statements but it annoys me that they only speak up when it doesn't affect them financially in any way

I wish they'd spoken up against China when HK was getting into a huge fuckin mess but speaking up against China affects them much worse than speaking up against police

not just Sony or ms but companies in general. Or people. Everyone. Frustrating

AGUACATE

May 22, 2020
[QUOTE = "Truant, publicación: 35539017, miembro: 21533"]
Esto es BS corporativo y sin el contexto, el texto podría aplicarse básicamente a cualquier cosa. "Impulsar el cambio" es algo que presento a los líderes empresariales en mis presentaciones de PowerPoint. Simplemente diga "las vidas negras importan" y sea el dueño.
[/CITAR]
Without context? I don't think so, look, if you don't like that message I can put other messages of true solidarity shared by other managers. Just because it's not a sony message doesn't mean you can discredit it. This is a problem in which many companies are showing their support, stop fanaticism.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
While my heart aches for what is happening in America at the moment (and has done for many years) some of you need to remember that America is not the entire world.

While America is an important market, Sony are not an American company (unlike Google, EA and Microsoft).

It's a sad fact that injustices as bad or worse than what is happening in America occur daily everywhere in the world, unfortunately many of those places do not have the freedom of the press to give their issues a voice. Slightly off-topic I know, and not intended to detract from the horrible oppression of minorities in the US - but some context when people are comparing this to COVID-19 which actually IS a global disaster.

Excellent post. Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter

Jan 10, 2018
Well done hopefully Nintendo shares a statement as well

I would be shocked, they are usually super silent. They kept shush about donating to the earthquake relief in 2011, only way we knew was because an investor asked them.

Bill Trinen is as usual the only higher ranking Nintendo guy with a clear political stance and as one would expect from him, he is supportive of the protests.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I think Sony should delay the event of things haven't cooled down in the next couple of days.

I agree. It probably should be delayed. This could drag out and Sony has time on their side. Even if for a week, it'll show they're with the protesters
People's lives don't stop when tragedies like these happen. Millions still have to go to work tomorrow. I don't see what delaying would accomplish.

JesseDeya

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoy being on the wrong side of history.

You've misunderstood me. If Sony (or anyone) delay press conferences as an attempt to add more voice to this I'd be overjoyed, I think this issue cannot get enough attention.

My point is that there shouldn't be an automatic assumption that that would be the case, for the reasons I have outlined.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE = "Truant, publicación: 35539017, miembro: 21533"]
Esto es BS corporativo y sin el contexto, el texto podría aplicarse básicamente a cualquier cosa. "Impulsar el cambio" es algo que presento a los líderes empresariales en mis presentaciones de PowerPoint. Simplemente diga "las vidas negras importan" y sea el dueño.
[/CITAR]
Without context? I don't think so, look, if you don't like that message I can put other messages of true solidarity shared by other managers. Just because it's not a sony message doesn't mean you can discredit it. This is a problem in which many companies are showing their support, stop fanaticism.
your quotes keep getting translated to spanish for some reason, btw

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Delaying the event is not needed. It's not going to help the movement. If Sony wants to actually help things they should donate.

Jan 10, 2018

It is not like the World Trade Center was in Romania and police brutality and racism are exclusively a American thing.

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon. This is big. This isn't some singular event that led to this. You know this. If things continue how they have, police brutality is going to keep happening. Americans, especially Black folks, are going to keep getting killed. They've tried peaceful protests, they've tried other methods, at this point what's left?

How can you say its terrorism? :/ People are just fighting to get equality. They are tired of seeing other Americans getting killed or shot at just because of their skin color. They are tired of being oppressed. They are tired of being killed openly and nothing happening.

I admitted I was a bit dismissive of the necessity and possible outcome of these acts. Hopefully I was completely wrong and this ends up being a landmark movement.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
People's lives don't stop when tragedies like these happen. Millions still have to go to work tomorrow. I don't see what delaying would accomplish.
It would show that Sony is with the protesters. Similar to when Nintendo delayed their direct due to the tsunami. If Sony goes forward it could come off as insensitive, especially if things are as bad or get worse for protesters in the next few days.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if Nintendo would make a statement on this too, but I'm not expecting them too tbh due to the conservative Japanese culture in its current leadership (Sony is also Japanese technically, but it's current leadership is much more international than Nintendo. I doubt NOA will speak out without consent from the Japanese branch, and I given Japanese cultures emphasis on not making waves and stirring up conflict (even when the conflict is justified) as well as the frankly poor understanding of race related issues there I'd be shocked if they were willing to comment on this in any way

Oct 27, 2017
Great statements but it annoys me that they only speak up when it doesn't affect them financially in any way

I wish they'd spoken up against China when HK was getting into a huge fuckin mess but speaking up against China affects them much worse than speaking up against police

not just Sony or ms but companies in general. Or people. Everyone. Frustrating

They absolutely should speak up against other injustices, you're right. But do you really think coming out in support for BLM won't have any sort of implication at all? (Financial or otherwise?) Trump could go after them, Fox News could slam them, etc. They're not taking anywhere near as big a risk as the protestors themselves, but their actions could have negative connotations for them while being positive to people demanding change.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I think they would not need to postpone if they made a stronger statement at the event itself, if it is live, which I find difficult, it is even more "easy" to do something like that. Let's see what happens, if they postpone I think they will let us know by Tuesday at the latest. But if they postpone for that reason I don't care, the situation is much bigger than that.