ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure kids have bought Sonic games in the last half decade or more.
they do. well over a decade. in the last half decade, there really hasn't been a game that really appealed to them. Sonic Forces sorta did, but that game had like no marketing and poor word of mouth. but I can tell you from experience that kids still love sonic, the games just haven't been handled well

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
l7m1eEO.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pikachu shows his teeth, nobody bats an eye. but Sonic shows his teeth, and everyone loses their minds

schemer.PNG

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well there is Sonic Mania. Sega has had a lot of trouble tapping into the kids market with Sonic despite his kid friendly nature, and Sonic Mania was the biggest in a long time to attract a large kids audience to one of their games. They really need to make a Sonic Mania 2, tbh.
I can't help but feel that Sonic Manias audience isn't kids.

Like 90% of that game is "hey remember this?"

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah, it is definitely going for that nostalgia angle and revisiting a ton of classic levels. But Sega did make a comment that a surprising number of kids where playing the game.
I wouldn't exactly peg that as a lot, just more than expected given the intended audience. kids tend to go for retail games over paid digital ones, after all

Oct 29, 2017
This is really a conundrum to me.

For starters, the casting of Jim Carrey is GENIUS. Just perfect. Flawless victory.

Also perfect, is the editing of the trailer, with the long pause on the Sega logo, the rings around the Paramount logo, and the Genesis callout. These things are perfect.

Not perfect is Sonic himself. Starting from the very first "meow?" Could this seriously not have worked with a Sonic that looks like Sonic should? What a downer. That is NOT Sonic. And I don't think it would have made a single difference in the entire world of worlds to have a Sonic that looks like ANY ONE of the Sonics in the videogames. Major WTF. Baffling, really.

Raven777

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bad music choice that makes no sense.

Comedy falls completely flat.

Rips off of the slow motion scenes from Quicksilver from the xmen movies in a really poorly done manner.

Sonic looks like a freak.

Awful special effects.

Yep...this looks accurately terrible.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Lmao I just saw this on facebook:
58647156_2339744036081830_1871936799899648000_n.jpg

TBh, I'm only watching it because of Jim Carrey. The fact that he is going back to his roots on doing iconic crazy funny performances ala Ace Ventura or The Mask has me all hyped because I thought he would never do any of those types of movies again. Everything else on the movie including Sonic himself can go to hell hah

Feb 1, 2018
The problem this movie faces is that even if it's good people will pretend it isn't because memes and reaction culture.

The trailer is legit bad, though. Awkward jokes, terrible acting (all the military characters + Jim Carrey acting like a Jim Carrey impersonator), and bizarre song choice. So of course it's gonna get meme'd.

Sonic's design is cute though. I like that they went with a more realistic and/or anthropomorphized art direction instead of just redrawing the traditional portrayal with high res textures.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
anyone else realizing that the root of their discomfort comes from him appearing to have a crotchal region that implies the existence of a penis?

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
To me the issue is the body more than the face. It looks like an out of shape person in an animal onesie.

Being CGI, they could literally fix it. Get Superman moustache guy on the job!

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
I hope people are enjoying memes right now.
Cuz this is probably the best it's gonna get. Movie gonna come out, it's going to be a generic forgettable kids movie, world will move on and none of it will be worth the fact that "Gangster's paradise" is now a sonic meme song forever.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i just don't understand why they went with the anthropomorphic design when he looks like a cartoon/early-mid 00s CG anyway

Disco54

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
You mean to tell me that video game movies are bad? What a shocker.

Hollywood should just stop with this garbage. Maybe if this and Detective Pikachu bombs they will get the hint. Detective Pikachu is 100 percent likely to suck as well. No one actually watches these things anyway.

Last edited:

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017

Hollywood should just stop with this garbage. Maybe if this and Detective Pikachu bombs they will get the hint. Detective Pikachu is 100 percent to suck as well. No one actually watches these things anyway.
Disagree. I think Detective Pikachu might just be great.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hollywood should just stop with this garbage. Maybe if this and Detective Pikachu bombs they will get the hint. Detective Pikachu is 100 percent to suck as well. No one actually watches these things anyway.
Detective Pikachu actually looks really good though?

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan

100% you say?

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It has a legit chance to break a billion when all said is done. Theres no way detective pikachu is gonna fail.

Disco54

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
It has a legit chance to break a billion when all said is done. Theres no way detective pikachu is gonna fail.

Nah smacked in the middle between all the summer blockbusters like Aladdin and Godzilla and Endgame still making all the money.

I do not get why people believe suddenly Detective Pikachu is going to make 1 billion when none of video game movies have even come close.