• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Who... thought that having Gangsta's paradise on this was a good idea?

Who... thought this was a good idea altogether?

Who... thought Jim Carrey... well actually he looks alright.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
No matter how much cinematic analysis you do, nothing justifies using Gangsta's Paradise in that trailer.

And are there enough parents that are nostalgic to make up the budget for this film? I suppose you could use it as revenge against your kids for dragging you to movies you didn't want to see.

Surprised at the positive reactions to Jim Carreys Ivo Ventura. That schtick got old by the end of his first ventura or mask movie, cringiest part of the trailer was him talking to the military man.

Personally I think his past work in that regard still holds up (especially the Mask), but in this trailer the delivery just didn't work. I think it's because he doesn't look zany enough in his costume and makeup and his voice still sounds too restrained. If he had the traditional Robotnik/Eggman look from the beginning of the movie, and was going absolutely mad scientist nutso in his lines, that scene would've been legitimately funny. The framing of the scene is also bad.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
mSLW6xz.gif

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I love James Marsden, but this trailer would make perfect sense if that was Seth Rogen

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't look like the worst movie in the world. Jim Carrey seems fun enough, Ben Swartz's take is fine, and the humor isn't cringe worthy.

The design though... sometimes it looks passable, other times it's just terrible. At least Sonic seems to be a decent height and not monstrously tall.

NamasteWager

Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't hate this. I still think they are shooting for the wrong age demographic, but I will totally see this.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Carrey looked good?
The fuck? That was the most unfunny crap I have seen in years.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is like an inverse "Legend of Belda". if it wasn't Sonic, it wouldn't get half as much hate

or attention, for that matter

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to rewatch the Detective Pikachu trailer to wash the taste of this thing out of my mouth.

Like it's not the worst thing ever but come on. Also why bother adapting an IP if your barley gonna use anything from it.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Carrey looks great, just a shame the Sonic model looks so terrible. Don't know why they just never stylised him rather than this weird looking thing.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
That last shot of Carrey looked good but everything else was beyond horrible. I just can't believe they're even doing this.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
God damnit... I wanted to completely and utterly hate this. Sigh... Now my wife and kids want to see it and I sort of too.

How is Sonic the hedgehog the movie that brings back 90's Jim Carrey? How come I still need that in my life in my 30's?

2019 is looking to be the year that end the video game movie curse between it and detective Pikachu.

(Edit) I can see and understand why Sonic fans are upset, but as a movie fan this trailer looks great.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Eh... I think the blow would hurt less if we heard the usual Sonic VA. But at the same time I think id rather not have that voice associated with this design...

Trailer was okay, Jim carrey "might" save it. Why in the hell that song though? Like, it could be in the movie, but did they think it would get more fans excited by sticking in in the whole trailer? So bizzare.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Looks like a fun and dumb movie.

The Sonic design is something only Hollywood executives would make, but the rest of it isn't as bad as I was expecting.

TruSpindash

Oct 27, 2017
This looks pretty bad, I'm there day one. More than likely going to have more fun watching this movie than I did playing Sonic Forces.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic is supposed to be an alien baby who teleported to Earth with his rings, his model is pretty faithful to that :p
But yeah, his face will take some time to get used to it.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Trailer looked great. Super looking forward to it. It's live action sonic, looks fun.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
This isn't real life. I died and went to Hell. Or stuck in trapped in some alternative, nightmare dimension.

What in God's name did I just witness...

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
From the company that brought you fucking Monster Trucks.

I cannot get over how bad the model looks.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
You know, they are probably trying to produce and market this film towards kids.

It's still awful.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Sonic himself just looks so bad.
The movie doesn't seem to have any of that classic, pop-deco Sonic styling. I dunno, it just doesn't look like Sonic.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Trailer looks fun and most importantly my kids are gonna love this and eat it up.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
If Venom can kill it at the BO, odds are better than 50/50 that this'll do just fine.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Saddest part is that if the detective pikachu movie is good (who knows) and earns goodwill and market to the video games movies, this shitpile will benefit and probably undo it at the same time.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
It looks like a generic kids' movie, but with Jim Carey - So basically, another chipmunks or smurfs film, as expected.

So I don't know, I guess I could be more offended, because it's probably just going to be a boring experience, versus a real train wreck like Dragon Ball Evolution.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
As a fan of Sonic since Dec 1991 when I saw him the first time in Asda when they had a Mega Drive set up (used to be owned by walmart usa pals) I remember when and where I was the first time I saw the blue guy and I was 9yrs old.

this does not look good, maybe some of the youngsters will like it?

As a 36 yr old and never has been a fan of anything Pokemon, I have to admit Detective Pikachu looks better and more interesting.