• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The only way I remember anyone's birthday is by keeping a spreadsheet with a list. :V

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017

If you ever wondered what Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric would be like if the framerate WASN'T a disaster... well, here that is. Sort of.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It was quite impressive. It certainly came out of nowhere for me.

Some really cool stuff on the proto, I personally loved the old Spring Yard background. The rolling ball and jump animation at the end of the stage still being part of the game were also pretty cool to see.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
You know looking at this new year drawing makes me mad at Sega for having that stupid clause that makes Classic and Modern separate so that characters like Fang, Bean, Mighty and Honey will never appear in any spin-off or comics that uses the modern continuity which is almost everything

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I love that picture. The Tails Game Gear reference is amazing.

Honey needs to be in another game. I don't know what kind of hurdles they need to jump through or not, since she's technically a Fighting Vipers character, but somebody needs to make it happen.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Something about Eggman hocking googly-eyed Sonic pops while Metal just watches one melt really gets me.

Really glad they keep going back to Nathalie Fourdraine for these big promo shots, she's amazing.

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Series X controller in to replace a very creaky 360 pad and I wanted to break the d-pad in, so I gave Sonic 3 AIR a playthrough for the first time in something like a year and a half and tried out a bunch of new options.

- The drop dash is great in this. I think I got more use out of it in Sonic 3's layouts than I ever have in Mania, and it just plain feels good. The extra bursts of speed in conjunction with the widescreen and "outrun camera" toggle make the game seem faster paced than it really is without actually hampering its playability. I got so used to having a burst of lateral speed available that I found myself gravitating to the fire shield over the lightning shield just to keep the pace up.
- At some point a whole set of remastered music a la Sonic 1 and 2 mobile was added, and it's nice and crisp. 👍
- You can also turn on the prototype music where applicable. CNZ's feels good in context, ICZ and LBZ's felt weird.
- Not an AIR feature, but as much as I've played this game over the last twenty-odd years, I still found myself in routes I just did not remember in Marble Garden, Sandopolis, and Lava Reef. Probably seen them before at some point, but pfft, who knows how long it's been? Game's huge.
- A lot of little speedups implemented throughout the game where you used to be stuck waiting for something to happen that took a little too long. Shoutouts to the Death Egg warp rings in particular.
- One particular option is pure schmuck bait:

xQmgpn9.png

I thought I could handle it. The fourteen original stages and far more than that in giant ring locations are pure muscle memory at this point, so "sure, random special stages, might liven things up a little?" <--- The words of a naive idiot who got their last chaos emerald in act 2 of Lava Reef Zone, sweating bullets the whole way. I'd never want to play the game any other way now, but it'll put the fear of god back into anyone who thinks they've tamed Blue Spheres.

1 gift from Melpontro

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Melpontro Melpontro!

This is a day raffle that will expire in 24 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Melpontro said:
2021 marks a decade since the time I enjoyed a 3d Sonic Game. Have a free Sonic Gens key to celebrate !

These are our awesome prizes:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I actually just picked up Generations on my Series S, effectively all my PS3 games might as well be unplayable these days for controller reasons and I'd been hankering to revisit Generations, a title that reminds me very much of the OG formation of Sonic Era under its old title.
Damn nostalgia rush was had going back through the stages and recalling some of my first interactions with regulars and former regulars in working out the platinum trophy stuff and red rings

Since this basically marked the first time actually doing the side missions since back then, I'm surprised that there's actually a lot of good stuff in there, in the vein of Colours and its smaller stages of asset flipping between the longer ones.
And even in the wake of Mania, I still really like a ton of the level design in the core stages, few Sonic games match Generations in how rewarding the alternative routes feel to discover.
I really thought Generations was gonna herald a new era of consistently good or better Sonic, ahhh to be nearly a decade younger and more foolish!

In other Sonic news, Sonic block is on AGDQ right now, actually had a new world record set on Sonic 1 but I missed it

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I only caught the tail end of the 3AIR run, definitely gonna have to check the VODs on those later.

Supaidaman

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
considering we haven't seen a single thing about it, I doubt that will actually be released this year.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
You know looking at this new year drawing makes me mad at Sega for having that stupid clause that makes Classic and Modern separate so that characters like Fang, Bean, Mighty and Honey will never appear in any spin-off or comics that uses the modern continuity which is almost everything

On the other hand, I actually think this "Earth 1, Earth 2" thing for Modern and Classic Sonic is a blessing in disguise type of thing. Modern Sonic's extended cast is pretty large now-a-days, as it is, to the point that it's actually looking like a struggle to take care of the characters within that stable. In that light, I think it's a reasonable idea to effectively splinter some of them off as being "only available in one world (or the other)", such that the burden is off to find something for those other characters to do, or a reason for why they can't show up. Especially if they're not expected to appear in that setting.

Besides, I don't think it'll be too much longer before we start seeing media starring the Classic cast. For example, Classic Sonic is getting his own mini-series in IDW, which if it does well enough, I'm sure there will be more.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Same thing that impacted various game development last year.
i mean it's not just that. they obviously had something ready to show prior to SXSW cancelling, and were talking about how they were going to find a way to share it and then... nothing. nearly a year later, whatever they were going to share with us still hasn't surfaced.

obviously if they had to go back to the drawing board it's going to be harder than if they had all hands on deck, but we've just got radio silence

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they went back to the drawing board, but you have to remember that after SXSW was canceled, they said they would do an online announcement later on (April? June-ish?), only to cancel that, too.

Though you can never be too sure, because the development of a Sonic game is never a certain thing, I imagine they planned the announcement on the grounds that the game was still in a state where they felt like they could do that, but as things settled in to a new normal with work-from-home requirements in place, they had to re-adjust their timeline. That was also around the time Aaron Webber moved on up to work directly within Sega of Japan, and while I don't think we should assume too much about things we can't directly see, it could even be possible he advocated to slow down on the game's development.

Try not to infer too much just because we can't see what's going on. Even I've probably inferred too much. A lot of things go on behind the scenes, orders of magnitude more than we'll ever know. Something is happening, and when they feel ready, we'll know about it.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aside Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 what other CS2 R&D game was released last year? They normaly do 2 or 3 titles per year (since 2015, by wikipedia) I asume the next Sonic title was the other game on schedule? 2021 titles pushed back the development of the next Sonic game? I mean, the next Rhythm Thief wont be developed itself

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Sakura Wars was very late 2019, with localizations dragging on into 2020.

I'm still of the opinion that Evening Star has been grinding away at something Sonic, for lack of any other news coming out of the studio, and I think whatever that project is was a more likely candidate for a 2020 reveal and later release than CS2's anniversary game. Mania itself outright got delayed and still launched with some obvious corners cut, and it's not hard to imagine a more ambitious followup meeting the same fate before all the plans changed.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked we still dont know exactly what Aaron Webber is doing. I would also take a guess that Sega is one of the companies hit harder from covid especially considering their arcade stuff. They likely dont wanna risk another Forces.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I've seen plenty of screen wrap exploits that skip stages and whatnot, but can someone explain what's happening to the timer and ring count here? (10:01:22)

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly weird to say this about a Vtuber, but Korone's facial reaction to that happening is so fucking funny

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen plenty of screen wrap exploits that skip stages and whatnot, but can someone explain what's happening to the timer and ring count here? (10:01:22)

Retro Wiki Snippet:

Notice the lag spike after hitting it for a moment. Between the game itself and possibly the emulator (maybe avoiding what normally would've hard-crashed) some memory got screwed up so that when, just guessing, it tried to add the rings, it overflowed, or wrote garbage data. If the Time data is stored close-by in memory, it could've botched that up to.

Interesting thing is the Sonic prototypes (maybe the final Sonic 2) often have a Debug feature that causes the timer to reset to 9:00 instead of Timing Over, so it could've triggered that code by mistake? Pure guess, though.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
what on earth

As much as I've played Sonic 2 over the years, I've never seen that happen. That's some spectacular luck to have it randomly show up on stream. Every source on the subject calls it a crash, though, which is definitely not what's happening here, so that's odd.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I had heard of the Rexon crash before, so I guess that's what that is. That clip is on the MD Mini, and it's not unheard of for emulators to behave a bit differently in situations that would be a hard crash on real hardware.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand: neat!
On the other hand: the camera didn't struggle to keep up with Sonic rolling down that huge slope at all 😢

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm so glad these decompilations exist.

Amazing, That path that he took at the end I never even knew about untill this year when somecallmejohny used it during one of the hacking contest entries. It's truly amazing that a Game I have played my whole life can still surprise me.

Also any one get the mobile ports working on their PC? Its so good to finally be able to play them not on a phone.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Also any one get the mobile ports working on their PC? Its so good to finally be able to play them not on a phone.

For the past few weeks I had been wanting to ask why they still haven't been ported. Like if anyone with more info knew why. Think there is something recent that makes it easier to play on PC but I'm still curious as to why there hasn't been any official ports yet/at all. I would assume because steam already has the emulated versions of them and they didn't want to cause product confusion but that is just my guess.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For the past few weeks I had been wanting to ask why they still haven't been ported. Like if anyone with more info knew why. Think there is something recent that makes it easier to play on PC but I'm still curious as to why there hasn't been any official ports yet/at all. I would assume because steam already has the emulated versions of them and they didn't want to cause product confusion but that is just my guess.

Yep my understanding is its a reverse engineer like the Mario 64 PC version.The way I used requires you to own them. I used and android EMU to download the Whitehead versions right on my PC as I dont have a good way of moving them off my phone itself. After that you take game out of the API and put it in a folder with the engine and boom it works. I think the Whitehead came out and said that due to management changes at Sega anytime he wanted to start a new project he would have to repitch himself to the new people in charge. That probably explains why they were forgotten about. What drives me crazy is them re-releasing M2 versions constantly and ignoring these, Widescreen is such a big difference.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
I've installed the PC versions. My understanding is that, yeah, it's basically like the Super Mario 64 PC port. Somebody went through and meticulously decompiled the entire software line-by-line, turning it back in to code so that it can be compiled for other platforms. I'm not entirely sure how that process works, but I know it's pretty complicated, especially here, where the developer did not just have to decompile the executable, but also had to decompile the game's scripting language and external script files.

Getting them working on PC is tricky, because you need access to the APK installer file for the game. Not a lot of big name mobile storefronts (like Google, Amazon, etc.) offer you raw access to the APK like that and usually install it for you. It's probably a little easier to deal with if your phone is rooted, because then the whole file structure of your device is exposed and browsable. I've never rooted a phone, though, so I'm just going off of educated guesses.

What I ended up doing was finding APKs for the ad supported free "Sega Forever" versions of Sonic 1 and 2. From there, 7zip can open the APK and let you browse and extract files. The PC executable is looking for a specific file from each game (Data.rsdk) but in my APKs it was named Data.rsdk.xml. Extracting that file and renaming it to Data.rsdk seemed to work just fine.

Now, the free versions are meant to be ad supported, so that's why the creator of the PC port strongly suggests paying to unlock the Sega Forever versions to remove ads. It's pretty reasonable, too, I think it's only like $2 to remove the ads on most Sega Forever games. That's cheaper than the Sega Ages versions on Switch, and cheaper than they were on Xbox Live Arcade and Wii Virtual Console. Definitely worth it.

Plus, I mean, they don't actually play that badly on a phone, either, even with touch controls.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't show the option to buy an ad remover, does it mean it's active? My menus definitely still have spam.